Wide Receiver Options

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys, we are not getting OBJ. I don't know why this is even discussed. First, he wants to be in LA. Second, he is in Buffalo right now. He's chasing a ring and the Packers are not high level contenders like the Bills or Rams. OBJ will not be a Packer.
Guys the Packers are not going to win the SB. I don't know why we even discuss this.................... oh never mind.

D

Deleted member 6794

I cannot see this happening either. It seems like the OBJ fans put him in a category of Randy Moss which is the kind of receiver you would want to complement this offense, a long pass wideout that is tall with a big wing span. The Packers were able to use Jennings, Jordy, and even James Jones at one point to go long. If they did not go after the injury prone Julio Jones I cannot see them going after OBJ.

OBJ would instantly become the most talented receiver on the Packers' roster. That's if he's healthy enough to contribute this season. Otherwise there's no point in signing him.

Why do people think THIS is the year Gute will suddenly go out of his way to address wide receiver when he’s already, in his mind, done so by drafting a guy in the 2nd round? The packers have needed a second good receiver for years and Gute has done nothing, why is this suddenly the time ppl think he’ll make a move?

In my opinion the reason fans are thinking Gutekunst will make a move for a receiver before the deadline this year is that the team could desperately need an upgrade at the position this more than during any other season in the past.

Therefore I expect he will thoroughly evaluate the situation before November 1. If there's no improvement over the next few games I expect him to make a move to improve the position.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the fact that Green Bay will not get him because they don’t care to get better however idk why you wouldn’t want him on the team he is better than any receiver on the roster with one hand… granted I understand the injury concern and your points on that learning the offense but my point is he makes them better anyway you look at it. Green Bay isn’t getting anyone IF they make any move at all I would put my chips on them trading for Robbie Anderson and he will catch 20 passes for 135 yards to finish the year and won’t make any difference even if everyone thinks it’s a solid move.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
While I know we can’t legally bet, so it’s hypothetical. I’d put a Benjamin on a side bet the our FO is already looking outside the organization for an option at either TE or WR. There would be no reason to do that if they weren’t interested.
The odds of it coming to fruition involve lots of variables and adequate timing. Thus it’s still likely less than 50% that it happens. But don’t think for one second think that our philosophy is that we’re 100% good to go on weapons. We’ve got likely one of our top 2 best WR options on IR as we speak.
They always bring players in.. Hell, they bring in qb during season

Reaction score
Why do people think THIS is the year Gute will suddenly go out of his way to address wide receiver when he’s already, in his mind, done so by drafting a guy in the 2nd round? The packers have needed a second good receiver for years and Gute has done nothing, why is this suddenly the time ppl think he’ll make a move?
He’s already made moves. He will again. That doesn’t mean a player accepts terms though. Those are 2 totally separate things.
Acquiring a players has as much to do with a player accepting terms as it does with a GM “wanting” to acquire a player.
Imo there’s a 50/50 chance Gute makes an offer or two before Nov 1. There’s a 30% chance it gets accepted. As Captain had said, There’s really no reason to get another medium caliber player who doesn’t represent an upgrade. Either you get someone that’s a WR1 or WR2 or TE1 capable or don’t get anyone.
Keep in mind that move could mean losing Elgton or similar next season. If it happens their will be people complaining about that so Gute can’t really win. He’s heads you Win and tails he loses.

For every reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with the fact that Green Bay will not get him because they don’t care to get better

That's simply a wrong statement. Gutekunst has made moves all year round trying to improve the team. It's not that easy to add an impact receiver at this point in the season though.

Keep in mind that move could mean losing Elgton or similar next season.

I don't believe the Packers will acquire a player with a massive cap hit for this season preventing them from making moves next year.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently Robbie Anderson got kicked out of the game by his own coach! Wonder if Gute left a message at Carolina's HQ?

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently Robbie Anderson got kicked out of the game by his own coach! Wonder if Gute left a message at Carolina's HQ?
Robbie Anderson does nothing for us
We
Need someone better than Adam’s and then some to make up for it lol

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robbie Anderson does nothing for us
We
Need someone better than Adam’s and then some to make up for it lol
Anderson is a career 55 reactions/700 yd WR with 4.36 speed. Until Watson can stay on the field AND catch over his shoulder Anderson would be a great addition. His '23 salary would be trouble, however, but I haven't looked at otc yet.

D

Deleted member 6794

Interesting how well M.Scantling(sp) is playing for the Chiefs.

MVS' numbers would rank fourth on the Packers in receptions and second in yards. In addition he doesn't have a touchdown yet. That's not worth $10 million a year.

Anderson screaming at one of his coaches on the sideline wasn't a ringing endorsement to make a move for him in my opinion.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anderson is a career 55 reactions/700 yd WR with 4.36 speed. Until Watson can stay on the field AND catch over his shoulder Anderson would be a great addition. His '23 salary would be trouble, however, but I haven't looked at otc yet.

Hard pass on this joker. His talent does not exceed his toxicity.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
There is not a single WR you could add (even Adams back himself) that is going to change this terrible OL play, playcalling or massively underachieving Defense.
I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. I do agree that the OL has been a disaster and is actually the root cause of many issues this team has. The defense held the Jets to three, but were put in a tough spot with having to be on the field for so long. If the offense could have put some sustained drives together I don't think you would be saying that the defense massively underachieved.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is not a single WR you could add (even Adams back himself) that is going to change this terrible OL play, playcalling or massively underachieving Defense.
We all acknowledged the great job Stenavich did with the OL the past few years, but apparently his contributions were even greater than I realized. Same goes for Nathaniel Hackett... apparently he advised & guided MLF a lot more than I gave him credit for in running this offense. Luke Getsy was the passing game coordinator and now OC in Chicago.

Instead of a well-oiled machine in GB the talent pool has been dispersed to Denver, Chicago & GB... and all 3 offenses suck. :(

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. I do agree that the OL has been a disaster and is actually the root cause of many issues this team has. The defense held the Jets to three, but were put in a tough spot with having to be on the field for so long. If the offense could have put some sustained drives together I don't think you would be saying that the defense massively underachieved.

The defense did not hold them to three. Otherwise I understand the point, but teams can literally tell our defense "We are gonna run the ball right there" - and get five to seven yards.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
We all acknowledged the great job Stenavich did with the OL the past few years, but apparently his contributions were even greater than I realized. Same goes for Nathaniel Hackett... apparently he advised & guided MLF a lot more than I gave him credit for in running this offense. Luke Getsy was the passing game coordinator and now OC in Chicago.

Instead of a well-oiled machine in GB the talent pool has been dispersed to Denver, Chicago & GB... and all 3 offenses suck. :(
And on top of it, the Packers roster was had heavy turnover from the last couple of years. I don't think all is lost quite yet, but they better start finding their identity soon. They have three losses right now and I figure for a chance at a wild card they need to be 10-7. The schedule doesn't get any easier either.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS' numbers would rank fourth on the Packers in receptions and second in yards. In addition he doesn't have a touchdown yet. That's not worth $10 million a year.
I've watched some KC this year and one game (probably MVS's best), he looked good. Better than he did in GB. You aren't going to get catches if the ball is not thrown to you. You stat guys want to say it's because he is not getting open but not only do we not know that but also Mahomes is doing very well with whatever he is doing. It's a team sport. I'm not looking for a savior. Just contributors and them having chances to contribute. Personally, I think we have those players. But they are not getting chances. Of course the leaky O line doesn't help.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've watched some KC this year and one game (probably MVS's best), he looked good. Better than he did in GB. You aren't going to get catches if the ball is not thrown to you. You stat guys want to say it's because he is not getting open but not only do we not know that but also Mahomes is doing very well with whatever he is doing. It's a team sport. I'm not looking for a savior. Just contributors and them having chances to contribute. Personally, I think we have those players. But they are not getting chances. Of course the leaky O line doesn't help.

MVS, outside of the one game you've watched, has been a massive disappointment in KC. He's underplayed his contract by a massive amount. It's very easy to tell if a guy is getting open when he's paired with a very good QB, how many targets is said player getting? Because good QBs don't get to be good QBs by ignoring open players. In KC, Mahomes has thrown the ball 229 times. MVS has been targeted a total of 34 times, good for a 14% target share (lower than JuJu). In his last full, healthy season in Green Bay, he was targeted 12% of the time. So, KC is paying him $10m a year and targeting him 2% more often. Let's also remember that the Chiefs have the best TE in the league so I don't agree with just saying "doing very well with whatever he's got" like he's throwing to a bad group of receivers.

See, when Adams was on the team ppl blamed Rodgers for not throwing to other players but this year we're seeing why he DIDN'T throw to those other players, because those other players weren't getting open.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair he has underplayed his contract if you are comparing that figure to what guys are producing that signed for that amount just years ago....contracts for WR we have seen BALLOON to a crazy level. That figure will quickly be a middle of the road veteran WR2/WR3 type pay.

Kelce is their receiving threat #1 there...and then they purposely filled WR room with JuJu and MVS to go along with Mecole Hardman...none of those are clear WR1. Throw in Skyy Moore and fact that CEH gets plenty of targets as a RB.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair he has underplayed his contract if you are comparing that figure to what guys are producing that signed for that amount just years ago....contracts for WR we have seen BALLOON to a crazy level. That figure will quickly be a middle of the road veteran WR2/WR3 type pay.

Kelce is their receiving threat #1 there...and then they purposely filled WR room with JuJu and MVS to go along with Mecole Hardman...none of those are clear WR1. Throw in Skyy Moore and fact that CEH gets plenty of targets as a RB.
For sure

People forget how good Kelce is. He is a generational game changer like Gronk, Gates, Tony G, etc