Why come to Green Bay?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, this post is not meant at a stab at TT but an honest question.

Everytime a FA gets signed up by someone else we here "outside circumstances" were to blame. To me that is bogus and is an excuse because TT does not want to open the checkbook. However, lets assume that this is the case. Why would ANY player want to come here? Lets look at it from a potential FA's point of view.

Let's say you visit GB and they offer you a million dollars then you visit San Diego and they do the same. Which do you choose? GB has terrible weather, no night-life, a GM with a reputation as cheap, and an unstable future with Brett riding off into the sunset soon.

How do you combat that? It's simple more GREEBACKS. Money Talks in the NFL. If GB doesn't overpay why would would you want to come here.

If contracts were equal, I would rather go just about anywhere else.

Tampa - Better Weather
Atlanta - Better Nightlife
Washington - They will Pay
Indi - They are the SB champs
SD - They are a contender
NE - Ditto
Arizona - Nice Weather
Minnesota - Dome
on and on and on

So our options are to draft guys to come here, lure in 2nd level guys who have the appeal of playing time, or pick up street FA's who are trying to break into the league. If Ted won't overpay we won't get established guys here because of the great weather and hot nightlife.

What happens when those rookies and street FA's show thier worth? As soon as thier contract is up they will bolt or do what J-Walk did.

So my question is if it "not about the money" why would anyone want to come here?

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I put this in the wrong forum. Could it be moved. I would like to hear discussion regarding this.

Reaction score
A very interesting question.

Can we please keep on topic, and not start with the "pyle you're wrong because you hate TT" stuff.

I think one main reason would be the history and tradition. Packers have arguably one of the most storied histories and traditions of any NFL team.

Second would be, or rather was, the ability to play with Favre. Playing with the best surely has to have a lure, because a player like Favre had the reputation of making players look better than they were.

As of right now? I'd say the interaction with fans. Green Bay is a football town, where the interaction with the fan base is probably at it's highest when compared to any other team.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
A very interesting question.

Can we please keep on topic, and not start with the "pyle you're wrong because you hate TT" stuff.

I think one main reason would be the history and tradition. Packers have arguably one of the most storied histories and traditions of any NFL team.

Second would be, or rather was, the ability to play with Favre. Playing with the best surely has to have a lure, because a player like Favre had the reputation of making players look better than they were.

As of right now? I'd say the interaction with fans. Green Bay is a football town, where the interaction with the fan base is probably at it's highest when compared to any other team.

Do you really think those are deciding factors? What does a 20 year old urban kid from Miami know about Packers History? History vs. nightlife? I think Nightlife would win 99% of the time.

Playing with Brett is viable but thats no longer the case after 1-2 more years.

Interaction with fans is probably a reach. I'm not being an *** but C'mon. A player with any NFL team could have all the "interaction" he wanted with fans. The truth is most of them do not want anything to do with it for the most part.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
money is really an irrelevant answer to the question you're asking, i believe. i think it is a reason why players would be swayed, but every NFL team has a salary cap, and this was instated precisely for the reasons you brought up. so some rich team doesn't offer a 10 year $252 million contract, like a team in another pro sport league. Each team has its pros and cons. each of the cons that you, pyle, suggest are legit, and each of the pros that aadp suggest are also legit. it's up to the player to decide if the pros outweigh the cons. simple, huh?

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
reasons to go to Green Bay:

One of the most storied teams in the NFL
Great fans
Great QB
up and coming team
quiet nice town
participate in two of the fiercest rivalries in the NFL

Reaction score
Pyle, I think the tradition set forth by Coach Lombardi is a very important factor. It is a winning tradition, one that would tell a 26-27 year old Free Agent that the Packers have a gloried past, a history of football that emphasizes winning. Compared to teams like the Browns, Cardinals, Lions, it is quite important.

I agree with you on the Favre thing.

Well I don't know how many teams would have a public owners meeting that brings forth thousands of owners THAT ARE ALL FANS. More importantly, little stuff like the bike ride along that happens during TC, where you have to admit the players get an opportunity to interact with kids that were like them when they were young.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
money is really an irrelevant answer to the question you're asking, i believe. i think it is a reason why players would be swayed, but every NFL team has a salary cap, and this was instated precisely for the reasons you brought up. so some rich team doesn't offer a 10 year $252 million contract, like a team in another pro sport league. Each team has its pros and cons. each of the cons that you, pyle, suggest are legit, and each of the pros that aadp suggest are also legit. it's up to the player to decide if the pros outweigh the cons. simple, huh?

Perhaps that is why we have not signed anyone. If your honestly banking on History to lure in 20 year old african americans, not a racist remark but let's face it, to GB then I think we are in more trouble than you think.

I am in no way saying AADP was wrong about tradition because I thought of that as well but then I realized that I don't think that really matters to 90% of potential players.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you really think those are deciding factors? What does a 20 year old urban kid from Miami know about Packers History? History vs. nightlife? I think Nightlife would win 99% of the time.

Playing with Brett is viable but thats no longer the case after 1-2 more years.

Interaction with fans is probably a reach. I'm not being an *** but C'mon. A player with any NFL team could have all the "interaction" he wanted with fans. The truth is most of them do not want anything to do with it for the most part.

Not every football player comes from The 'U', Pyle! lol. Really, though, look at guys like AJ Hawk. They could care less about night life, and just want to play football. Sure, weather and ladies appeal to alot of people, but not everyone.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps that is why we have not signed anyone. If your honestly banking on History to lure in 20 year old african americans, not a racist remark but let's face it, to GB then I think we are in more trouble than you think.

I am in no way saying AADP was wrong about tradition because I thought of that as well but then I realized that I don't think that really matters to 90% of potential players.

That is a racist remark, no matter how you slice it! Not all players are african american, and not all young african american males love night life!

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pyle fortanetly there are nearly zero F/A's that are 20 most are 26-29 years old. Most are likely married and have children. While I am sure there are racists in GB as well as in Atlanta.
Bottom line is this F/A market truly sucked ***. Most teams including the Patriots are over spending.
More power to the guys that are raking in 5-6 mil per year but from what I have seen most of these players deserve no more than 2 mil per year.

It is hard as a fan to see no big moves by TT but then we are into the second week of the F/A period. We have no idea what is truly going on in the front office.

I am sure though they are working the problem and the solutions.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

That is a racist remark, no matter how you slice it! Not all players are african american, and not all young african american males love night life!

It's also reality.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok so where is the interest in GB by FA's? There's not a line of people dying to have GB give them a shot.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

my point is that 1) the salary cap is in place to make sure that money is not THE mitigating factor in regards to which team a free agent signs with and 2) each individual player has many unique factors to weigh in deciding where to sign and they must decide which factors are more or less important to them.

Also, the fact that so few players become free agents is a testament to the fact that winning is most important, wich shows that trades and draft picks are much more important than "luring" in top-tier free agents who make up probably about 1/10 of 1% of all NFL players. Because of these reasons, focusing on strengthening the team through the draft are way more important than deciding how best to lure in a particular free agent, ESPECIALLY for a team like the Packers who do not have great "night life".

once a team becomes solid through savvy draft picks, well-timed trades, and responsible management of the salary cap, the team will begin winning. and as we all know, winning is what it's all about. And since our previous GM screwed these things up, it will probably take some time for our current GM to clean up the mess, establish a solid core of players, and re-establish the team to the point where free agents will want to come to green bay to play for a Super Bowl.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
pyledriver80 said:

It's also reality.

Pyle that is BS and you know it. Hell I was listening to sirius radio and they were interviewing a guy from missisippi and they asked what he wanted to do with his money.

He wanted a Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 and to help his family.
Now he was african american and he stated that his main concerns were finding a team that fostered a family atmosphere.

So it is not reality at all. People are individuals and we should quit lumping everyone into a category to fit our arguments.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok so where is the interest in GB by FA's? There's not a line of people dying to have GB give them a shot.

they are out there pyle believe me. GB is an NFL team with NFL money. If noone every wanted to come here GB would not have a NFL franchise period.

I mean look at it this way we could have a Dan Schieder who believes in spending it all to get to sub 500 so it could be worse

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:

they are out there pyle believe me. GB is an NFL team with NFL money. If noone every wanted to come here GB would not have a NFL franchise period.

I mean look at it this way we could have a Dan Schieder who believes in spending it all to get to sub 500 so it could be worse

You made my point, it's about money. Money that TT does not want to spend.

You have to either lure in talent by
A. Paying Them
B. Having outside circumstances that make money less of an issue.

Both of which GB can't do. The guys on this team that are producing week in and week out are getting PAID handsomely. The rest of the guys are trying to make a name for themselves. Unfortunately there is not enough of the former and too much of the latter.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:

NE, whose style everyone says the Packers are trying to immulate, is spending the cash because they can and we could as well. It's easy to throw the Redskins out there but alot of teams add key pieces as needed. I'm not asking for 3-4 top level guys, but some improvements from the 8-8 guys we had last year would be nice.

Reaction score
Let's take the racist issue out of this.

Pickett signed, Woodsoon signed, Barnett is interested in returning. Obviously there is some sort of an appeal for these African American players besides nightlife.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why so gloomy, pyle? Up until a couple years ago, there was a stretch of about a decade where the Packers had the best or second-best (behind Denver) record in the NFL. If Green Bay is considered to be such a hole, how was that possible? Has the city's reputation among players declined that much in just the last couple years?

Also, I would like to reiterate what others have said. There are a lot of players who don't care about nightlife, especially during the season when they need to be concentrating on football. Green Bay is a great place to get serious about football, and if the nightlife is that important, the player can go elsewhere during most of the offseason. Greg Jennings and A.J. Hawk are examples of young players who couldn't care less about nightlife and are a perfect fit for Green Bay. Cheer up--it's not that bad.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
reasons to go to Green Bay:

One of the most storied teams in the NFL
Great fans
Great QB
up and coming team
quiet nice town
participate in two of the fiercest rivalries in the NFL

That is why I hope players come to GB. That means that they aren't just a football player, but also a football fan. I know football is their way of life and want to make as much money as they can, but I would like to think some of the players pay attention to tradition and rivalries and not just how many commas are on their checks.

fvre4mvp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A big reason why Cullen Jenkins resigned was because Green Bay is a great place to raise his daughters with the family atmosphere of the town.

Latest posts