The Trade No One Sees Coming Mock

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So little outside the box thinking on this but then again Gute has been known to do things like this...and perhaps, just perhaps the hold up to get the Rodgers deal done is multi-faceted and one is seeing who falls to 13 on draft night. This mock sees just that:

Jets on draft night send the Packers Pick 13 and Pick 143 this year, Corey Davis and a 2nd next year
FOR
Aaron Rodgers / AJ Dillon / 7.242 this year / 7th Rounder next year

Jets get a power pairing of Breece Hall and Dillon - who is in his final year and with the structure of Aaron Jones contract next year seemingly meaning he isn't going anywhere ($12m dead hit if we do) Dillon may not be in the future plans of GB.

*FTR this concept hurts me very much. AJ Dillon has quite possibly connected the fastest with fans and fell in love with the area more than I think anyone envisioned a guy to do. He is one of my favorite Packers and this honestly hurt more than sadly seeing #12 in another uniform at this point. I get it from a management point though, 2023 is a reset and see what Love is...if you're going to hit reset and the board falls to us how it does in this hypothetical pulling the trigger on a Rodgers / Dillon trade makes sense.

1.13 - Bijan Robinson RB Texas: Mere moments after us fans learn one of our beloved RBs is gone, we see the pairing which (no offense to Dillon) may just be that much more explosive and dangerous come together as Bijan Robinson hears his name called. Now is this a positionally smart pick - no. Is this a Packer type pick...arguably again no. Is Bijan one of the most NFL ready Day 1 prospects in this class - a resounding yes. Gute goes away from his trend and picks him.

1.15 - Jaxon Smith-Nijigba WR Ohio State: With a ton of elite defenders going in the first 14, Bijan to us at 13 and four QBs....JSN is still there and at least in my opinion is the only first round worthy WR as things have washed out (I used to love Addison but have come off some). So Gute continues to go against "traditional" pick history and selects the first round WR many have waited a decade plus for. Love has two dynamite weapons added and Day 1 is only halfway over....

2.45 - Keion White EDGE Georgia Tech: This man is special. IF he doesn't go before our second round and we haven't selected a iDL or EDGE type guy, White is a prospect type that is nearly impossible to ignore and decide not to pick. Off the bus ready now to serve IMO as a heavy stand up edge or in big packages...or be that Lowry replacement type as well. 285lb dude that essentially runs like a TE (used to be one) don't grow on trees folks. I have little faith Barry can make use of his hybrid versatility but he will just naturally make plays when given chances.

3.78 - Luke Schoonmaker TE Michigan: TE finally happens and it is a blocking but yet athletically built Wolverine. Not asked to do a ton of work in the passing game he still amassed 418 yards 3 TDs on 35 receptions in 2022. A 6'6' RZ target with a very capable blocking pedigree formed at Michigan Luke might not be one of the top 5 we all wanted...but very capable guy that IMO is easily our top inline TE on the roster and would pair well.

4.116 - Keondre Coburn iDL Texas: Big NT type guy that is the epitome of a roller coast of tape...some games this man looks like a true borderline first rounder...other times day 3 flier. Was some of that health? Motivation? Who knows, but if you get even a touch of the elite level games he has shown, his presence at times could be the middle for us while Clark gets to flex around if desired. Not going to be asked to be more than 3rd or 4th on snaps would be the plan along the front - plenty of time to grow and be the NFL guy many think he has in him. 24 hurries last year is special from a middle guy that didn't even play every snap or close even at Texas.

5.143 - McClendon Curtis OL UT-Chattanooga: Curtis was a guy that at the senior bowl had more to prove than arguably any OL there and he proved he belonged. Was there some bad reps sure, but he showcased that his massively impressive stats were no fluke at Chattanooga. If it weren't for Dawand Jones being there, Curtis's wingspan and arm length would have been more the talk of the measurements coming in at 35 inch arms and 84 inch wingspan which at his 6056 height is nearly more impressive than Dawand's 36 5/8 arms and 89 1/2 wingspan but on a 6081 height frame. Curtis in the last three years has only given up 4 sacks (none in 2022), 5 QB Hits, 7 hurries according to PFF - that's elite level protection. Projection has him as a guard but everything about his measurables and testing say he fits the tackle mold for sure... but at this point in the draft I envision your picking between guys like him, Braeden Daniels (who I love...but wanted to share a new prospect here), Nick Saldiveri, Ryan Hayes...

5.149 Davis Allen TE Clemson: Allen is firmly one of my top 10 guys and possibly my favorite TE I see hitting Day 3. Very productive RZ presence in the passing game, with ability in the blocking game but not dominant. Can he step in year one....unsure...is he a better weapon and option than Tyler Davis - IMO YES...even if Davis's familiarity to the system has him getting reps at the start of the year over him. 8.57 RAS for those curious.

5.170 Clayton Tune QB Houston: Tune is too good of an athlete (9.79 RAS) and proven slinger (7600+ yards in last two years + 70TDs..only 20 INTs) to pass up to battle for Love's primary back up and could be the Love back up plan depending.

7.232 Jordan Howden S Minnesota: Athletically special Safety prospect that GB has as a confirmed prospect visit this year.

7.235 Troy Brown LB Mississippi: An athletic LB that could be gone in the 5th or go undrafted - if there and our need of depth with Barnes loss makes a lot of sense.

7.256 EJ Jenkins WR Georgia Tech: This BIG WR may become a TE even, but folks he ran sub 4.6 at the GT pro day and is a MASSIVE bodied man at 6'6' and 245lbs. A PS stash for a year or two that could do the Tonyan thing and build into a decent contributor as years turn....could see him stay WR or go TE.

Caya

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Though I’d hate to see Dillon leave, this would be the most unbelievable draft we’d have in years if it happened.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why wouldn't NYJ keep their #13 & take Bijan themselves? He be a great addition to their RB backfield at 6', 222 lbs and a hedge against another injury to Breece.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why wouldn't NYJ keep their #13 & take Bijan themselves? He be a great addition to their RB backfield at 6', 222 lbs and a hedge against another injury to Breece.

Because they want Aaron Rodgers of course - and in this deal they provide a guy they know AR would like, knows the system being installed and make the deal close not just straight up for Rodgers.

Unlike the Packers, the Jets used a high level draft pick on Breece just a year ago and not many GMs are gonna be willing to essentially tell a guy they see as a feature back that they're possibly or are now second fiddle. Dillon won't threaten Breece in nearly the same way as they're complementary far more.

Easily arguable whether someone feels smart or not move by the Jets, but easily identified positives of it despite whether agree or not with it. Personally I don't want Dillon going anywhere is my example of similar fair vein as your question.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because they want Aaron Rodgers of course - and in this deal they provide a guy they know AR would like, knows the system being installed and make the deal close not just straight up for Rodgers.

Unlike the Packers, the Jets used a high level draft pick on Breece just a year ago and not many GMs are gonna be willing to essentially tell a guy they see as a feature back that they're possibly or are now second fiddle. Dillon won't threaten Breece in nearly the same way as they're complementary far more.

Easily arguable whether someone feels smart or not move by the Jets, but easily identified positives of it despite whether agree or not with it. Personally I don't want Dillon going anywhere is my example of similar fair vein as your question.
I on the other hand would like to see Dillon going to the end zone more than his current pace.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I on the other hand would like to see Dillon going to the end zone more than his current pace.

Truthfully it isn't his value as a running back. He's a chainmover, defensive toller and pass blocker primarily...but I don't disagree it'd be nice to see a bump there.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm absolutely fine with the backup running back rushing for seven touchdowns in a season. Aaron Jones struggled in that regard on the other hand though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
So little outside the box thinking on this but then again Gute has been known to do things like this...and perhaps, just perhaps the hold up to get the Rodgers deal done is multi-faceted and one is seeing who falls to 13 on draft night. This mock sees just that:

Jets on draft night send the Packers Pick 13 and Pick 143 this year, Corey Davis and a 2nd next year
FOR

Jets get a power pairing of Breece Hall and Dillon - who is in his final year and with the structure of Aaron Jones contract next year seemingly meaning he isn't going anywhere ($12m dead hit if we do) Dillon may not be in the future plans of GB.

*FTR this concept hurts me very much. AJ Dillon has quite possibly connected the fastest with fans and fell in love with the area more than I think anyone envisioned a guy to do. He is one of my favorite Packers and this honestly hurt more than sadly seeing #12 in another uniform at this point. I get it from a management point though, 2023 is a reset and see what Love is...if you're going to hit reset and the board falls to us how it does in this hypothetical pulling the trigger on a Rodgers / Dillon trade makes sense.

1.13 - Bijan Robinson RB Texas: Mere moments after us fans learn one of our beloved RBs is gone, we see the pairing which (no offense to Dillon) may just be that much more explosive and dangerous come together as Bijan Robinson hears his name called. Now is this a positionally smart pick - no. Is this a Packer type pick...arguably again no. Is Bijan one of the most NFL ready Day 1 prospects in this class - a resounding yes. Gute goes away from his trend and picks him.

1.15 - Jaxon Smith-Nijigba WR Ohio State: With a ton of elite defenders going in the first 14, Bijan to us at 13 and four QBs....JSN is still there and at least in my opinion is the only first round worthy WR as things have washed out (I used to love Addison but have come off some). So Gute continues to go against "traditional" pick history and selects the first round WR many have waited a decade plus for. Love has two dynamite weapons added and Day 1 is only halfway over....

2.45 - Keion White EDGE Georgia Tech: This man is special. IF he doesn't go before our second round and we haven't selected a iDL or EDGE type guy, White is a prospect type that is nearly impossible to ignore and decide not to pick. Off the bus ready now to serve IMO as a heavy stand up edge or in big packages...or be that Lowry replacement type as well. 285lb dude that essentially runs like a TE (used to be one) don't grow on trees folks. I have little faith Barry can make use of his hybrid versatility but he will just naturally make plays when given chances.

3.78 - Luke Schoonmaker TE Michigan: TE finally happens and it is a blocking but yet athletically built Wolverine. Not asked to do a ton of work in the passing game he still amassed 418 yards 3 TDs on 35 receptions in 2022. A 6'6' RZ target with a very capable blocking pedigree formed at Michigan Luke might not be one of the top 5 we all wanted...but very capable guy that IMO is easily our top inline TE on the roster and would pair well.

4.116 - Keondre Coburn iDL Texas: Big NT type guy that is the epitome of a roller coast of tape...some games this man looks like a true borderline first rounder...other times day 3 flier. Was some of that health? Motivation? Who knows, but if you get even a touch of the elite level games he has shown, his presence at times could be the middle for us while Clark gets to flex around if desired. Not going to be asked to be more than 3rd or 4th on snaps would be the plan along the front - plenty of time to grow and be the NFL guy many think he has in him. 24 hurries last year is special from a middle guy that didn't even play every snap or close even at Texas.

5.143 - McClendon Curtis OL UT-Chattanooga: Curtis was a guy that at the senior bowl had more to prove than arguably any OL there and he proved he belonged. Was there some bad reps sure, but he showcased that his massively impressive stats were no fluke at Chattanooga. If it weren't for Dawand Jones being there, Curtis's wingspan and arm length would have been more the talk of the measurements coming in at 35 inch arms and 84 inch wingspan which at his 6056 height is nearly more impressive than Dawand's 36 5/8 arms and 89 1/2 wingspan but on a 6081 height frame. Curtis in the last three years has only given up 4 sacks (none in 2022), 5 QB Hits, 7 hurries according to PFF - that's elite level protection. Projection has him as a guard but everything about his measurables and testing say he fits the tackle mold for sure... but at this point in the draft I envision your picking between guys like him, Braeden Daniels (who I love...but wanted to share a new prospect here), Nick Saldiveri, Ryan Hayes...

5.149 Davis Allen TE Clemson: Allen is firmly one of my top 10 guys and possibly my favorite TE I see hitting Day 3. Very productive RZ presence in the passing game, with ability in the blocking game but not dominant. Can he step in year one....unsure...is he a better weapon and option than Tyler Davis - IMO YES...even if Davis's familiarity to the system has him getting reps at the start of the year over him. 8.57 RAS for those curious.

5.170 Clayton Tune QB Houston: Tune is too good of an athlete (9.79 RAS) and proven slinger (7600+ yards in last two years + 70TDs..only 20 INTs) to pass up to battle for Love's primary back up and could be the Love back up plan depending.

7.232 Jordan Howden S Minnesota: Athletically special Safety prospect that GB has as a confirmed prospect visit this year.

7.235 Troy Brown LB Mississippi: An athletic LB that could be gone in the 5th or go undrafted - if there and our need of depth with Barnes loss makes a lot of sense.

7.256 EJ Jenkins WR Georgia Tech: This BIG WR may become a TE even, but folks he ran sub 4.6 at the GT pro day and is a MASSIVE bodied man at 6'6' and 245lbs. A PS stash for a year or two that could do the Tonyan thing and build into a decent contributor as years turn....could see him stay WR or go TE.
My only issues here are.......... I'm no longer seeing Nijigba being chosen by us at 15. I think if Wright at OT was still on the board, he'd more likely be the pick. If Wright was off the board, my guess is Gutekunst would trade back with 15.
Also, I would expect that the 2nd TE drafted by us would more likely come in the 7th round.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only issues here are.......... I'm no longer seeing Nijigba being chosen by us at 15. I think if Wright at OT was still on the board, he'd more likely be the pick. If Wright was off the board, my guess is Gutekunst would trade back with 15.
Also, I would expect that the 2nd TE drafted by us would more likely come in the 7th round.

I won't say 7th but I do think our second TE picked will be a Day 3....unless a high level prospect (one of the top 6) just drop more than Gute thinks is sane will we double dip before the end of Day 2.

D

Deleted member 6794

So you wouldn't like to see him score more than 7 TDs?

Of course I would like Dillon to score more than seven touchdowns. But I consider it unrealistic to expect the backup running back to improve on that number.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

FOR

Please forgive my ignorance. What do the numbers mean? Thanks.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're the round and then the overall number in the draft

so 1st person picked in the entire draft would be 1-1 and the last one would be 7-259 depending on comp picks, so 7th round, #259 overall. and everything in between.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance. What do the numbers mean? Thanks.

1.13 The 1 before the decimal is the round, the number after is the pick of the draft. So 1.13 is the first round pick #13. 7.256 would be the seventh round pick number 256.

D

Deleted member 6794

Then I guess they should have kept Jamaal Williams.

Last season there were only 13 running backs who had more than seven rushing touchdowns. While there are exceptions to the rule like Jamaal Williams it's unrealistic to expect the backup to do better than that in my opinion.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then I guess they should have kept Jamaal Williams.

This is actually a reasonable discussion and maybe has happened already on this forum. I suppose the answer is what would we have done with that extra cap if we didn't sign Jones, because it was Jones or Jamaal at that time.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I posted at the time to keep Linsley. Of course I do not know if that could have worked financially.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is actually a reasonable discussion and maybe has happened already on this forum. I suppose the answer is what would we have done with that extra cap if we didn't sign Jones, because it was Jones or Jamaal at that time.

There was a lot of discussions about it at the time it happened. While I definitely like Aaron Jones as a player taking a look at his production compared to some other cheaper options at running back it seems to me it wasn't that smart to pay him $20 million over the past two seasons.

I posted at the time to keep Linsley. Of course I do not know if that could have worked financially.

The Packers could have definitely made it work to re-sign Linsley. But they most likely would have had to let another player walk away in free agency instead.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tyni,

I like more of this than I hate. It would take hours to tell you whatt I like so I'm gonna bring up what I don't like.

Round 1.) YES we need a weapon, I see 3-4 guys that if we have multiple 1s that we should take. Bijan is one of them. Njigba is NOT. If we have multiple 1s that 2nd pick either has to be Mayer, Skoronski or Branch the Safety out of Bama.

Round 2.) I can't take an EDGE at all this draft, but if I had someone threatening my life if I didn't there are 2 or 3 guys in the 7th round you can take that will have a better impact than White. Remember JJ Enagbare was a 5th last year.

Round 5.) While I love McClendon Curtis I hate the other guys. I'd rather have Bennett than Tune. I need a guy with big game experience just in case Love goes down. I can't complain or praise about Allen I don't know enough about the guy.

Round 7.) ENOUGH with the G** D*** wide receivers! Wide Receiver is like CB was 4 years ago. It went from a problem to something that got over spent with draft capital.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Round 7.) ENOUGH with the G** D*** wide receivers! Wide Receiver is like CB was 4 years ago. It went from a problem to something that got over spent with draft capital.

Chill - you have a WR room consisting of Watson/Doubs/Toure/Cotton/Melton right now. Since you want to go to the level of swearing...you'd have to be a fool ignoring reason in my opinion to believe taking a 7th round flier on a WR is not a good idea at the present moment.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Very true Dillon kinda grows on ya. Seems like a good really good dude. I will offer that you won’t feel as bad knowing he grew up a couple hours drive from East Rutherford, NJ

You’re nearly sending him into his own back yard, New London, CT is a 2.5 hour skip up I95.
He’d probably kiss you :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

If there's one thing no one can accuse the Packers front office of it's that they overspent draft capital on wide receivers in the past.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

FOR

Remind me not to use any of your picks in Amish's draft contest next spring