Who Will Aaron Rodgers Play For In 2022?

Who Will Aaron Rodgers Play For In 2022?

• No One, He'll Retire

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Denver Broncos

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • New Orleans Saints

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Green Bay Packers

Votes: 46 61.3%
  • Pittsburgh Steelers

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Seattle Seahawks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Las Vegas Raiders

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Another NFL Team

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Miami Dolphins

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In his first 2 seasons Rodgers went 15 of 31 for 111 yards and an int

So far in his first 2 seasons Love is 26 of 45 for 277 yards and 1 td and 1 int

I agree hes not ready but i susoect he might have a game like Rodgers Dallas game next week against detroit granted its the Lions
After watching Love against the Lions I still don't know what we have in him. When AR went into the Dallas game he was playing with the starters. Last Sunday Love spent most of his time with backups at WR and RB (Dillon did play a couple of series with Love in the 3rd). Even tho this is technically Love's 2nd season 2020 was a lost season for him. He was 3rd on the depth chart and inactive every week. I hope we see more improvement with Love in 2022.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching Love against the Lions I still don't know what we have in him. When AR went into the Dallas game he was playing with the starters. Last Sunday Love spent most of his time with backups at WR and RB (Dillon did play a couple of series with Love in the 3rd). Even tho this is technically Love's 2nd season 2020 was a lost season for him. He was 3rd on the depth chart and inactive every week. I hope we see more improvement with Love in 2022.

Yeah that was a disappointing performance against the Lions...even playing with a lot of backups i expected him to play better. That dallas game was in Rodgers 3rd year and yeah that was the first time Rodgers looked like he was going to be really good.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers face a difficult decision as they need to make one on Rodgers after this season though. They won't have the opportunity to wait another year and see how Love develops in his third year.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm 100% convinced that not only is Rodgers the Packers quarterback next season, but that he finishes his career in Green Bay.
Hopefully with the better communication between Gute & AR Aaron realizes he can't receive $40+Mil/year and expect a good complement of players around him. Happy his pseudo-GM role will give him that insight and GB extends AR for 3 years/$100Mil backloaded deal to finish his career here. I previously thought Gute needed to blow-up the team to re-set the cap, but with Aaron playing at MVP-levels think he'll retire a Packer.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully with the better communication between Gute & AR Aaron realizes he can't receive $40+Mil/year and expect a good complement of players around him. Happy his pseudo-GM role will give him that insight and GB extends AR for 3 years/$100Mil backloaded deal to finish his career here. I previously thought Gute needed to blow-up the team to re-set the cap, but with Aaron playing at MVP-levels think he'll retire a Packer.

40 m per would already be him giving a hometown discount...the top qbs now at 45 m per. Rodgers is unquestionably the top qb

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
40 m per would already be him giving a hometown discount...the top qbs now at 45 m per. Rodgers is unquestionably the top qb
If he wants to be a top-3-paid QB that'll use-up almost 22% of the cap (projected to be $208Mil)... and very, very difficult to put good/great pieces around him. At $45Mil/yr. he'll be a Bronco or WTF'r. :(

Last edited:

PackerRyche

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud with a crazy idea. Is there a way to give AR two jobs, one of which would be administrative? Could the team pay him 50% of his total salary for QB duties and 50% for say, Assistant VP of Player Personnel or some such. How would that play into the salary cap?

Told you it was crazy.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah that was a disappointing performance against the Lions...even playing with a lot of backups i expected him to play better. That dallas game was in Rodgers 3rd year and yeah that was the first time Rodgers looked like he was going to be really good.
Love is dead weight at this point. He could improve but Packers are in a bind with Rod so the logical path is to sign Rod to whatever years they think he has left in the tank and whatever they can offer on the table. A logical move points to Rod coming back that encourages Adams to stay and try for another SB win next year. that's all I gotta say about this one.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud with a crazy idea. Is there a way to give AR two jobs, one of which would be administrative? Could the team pay him 50% of his total salary for QB duties and 50% for say, Assistant VP of Player Personnel or some such. How would that play into the salary cap?

Told you it was crazy.

Nice try but that type of contract would still count fully against the cap according to the CBA. Specifically the rules governing calculation of the salary cap in section 13. The CBA does allow for some compensation outside of football related duties but teams would be on thin ice if it is more than a token fee.

A player’s Salary shall also include any and all consideration received by the player or his Player Affiliate from a Club or Club Affiliate, even if such consideration is ostensibly paid to the player for services other than football playing services, if the NFL can demonstrate before the Impartial Arbitrator that the consideration paid to the player or Player Affiliate for such nonfootball services does not represent a reasonable approximation of the fair market value of such services as performed by such player.

Last edited:

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Told you it was crazy.
I was thinking Rod could be CEO and Jordy could be GM and Cobb could oversee marketing and concession sales. Cobb could even sell hot dogs to pick up sales.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Told you it was crazy.
If it could be done, it would have been done already by someone. You think Dan Snyder or Jerruh Jones would not have exploited such a loophole?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's why I blew my entire life's savings trying to win the Powerball a few weeks ago. I figured I would offer to buy Aaron Rodger's house in Green Bay for 100 million or so if he stayed in Green Bay. Heck I'd even let him live there for 50 bucks a month, utilities included. No one would have to know. If they questioned it I'd just say look at how much money Packer fans have ponied up for a worthless piece of paper ;). Some people collect football cards, I'm an eccentric millionaire who collects superstar QBs homes. Just to keep it on the up and up I'd offer Brady and Mahomes a few grand for their places and to prove the eccentric part I'd even throw a few bucks Jay Cutler's way.

I honestly think Rodgers would accept a deal for 40 million a year if he felt his concerns of the pre season had been addressed to his satisfaction. If they haven't been I don't think any amount would keep him here.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no telling. i get a feeling he might retire. might be a Packer if he'll accept a couple of years at vet min lol. that would be ok as they'll be able to keep more of the band together then. no SB shot either way next season.

D

Deleted member 6794

no telling. i get a feeling he might retire. might be a Packer if he'll accept a couple of years at vet min lol. that would be ok as they'll be able to keep more of the band together then. no SB shot either way next season.

If the Packers keep Rodgers as well as some other important players by pushing cap hits into future seasons there's no reason for them to not be considered a contender.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It won't take vet minimum to get it done although it wouldn't surprise me if his annual salary is the minimum for a year or two if the restructure allows for it. That would be nice because then we can all say "what a team player Aaron is. He is only getting paid 1.12 million dollars this year" as he is sitting on a 60 million dollar signing bonus check with a cap hit of 40 million dollars. You know, just like Tom's fans used to do all those years he was in New England.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he wants to be a top-3-paid QB that'll use-up almost 22% of the cap (projected to be $208Mil)... and very, very difficult to put good/great pieces around him. At $45Mil/yr. he'll be a Bronco or WTF'r. :(

Im sorry but I cannot understand why people just dont get it...

That is not how it works, his salary cap number would not be 45 million in 2022 if he signs a 4 year extension. And thus not 22% of the cap

Coincidentally or not his cap number for 2022 is currently over 46 million...his extension will cut that number roughly in half would be my best guess

His cap number would jump significantly towards the final years of the deal but the salary cap is set to jump to somewhere near 250 million from 208 m in 2022 starting with the 2023 league year as that's when the money from the insanely huge new media/tv deals the NFL has secured. By the end of Rodgers would be extension the salary cap could be approaching 300 million

Smart teams will backload contracts pushing the money out to a season in which the cap will be much higher in order to field a contender in 2022

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im sorry but I cannot understand why people just dont get it...

That is not how it works, his salary cap number would not be 45 million in 2022 if he signs a 4 year extension. And thus not 22% of the cap

Coincidentally or not his cap number for 2022 is currently over 46 million...his extension will cut that number roughly in half would be my best guess

His cap number would jump significantly towards the final years of the deal but the salary cap is set to jump to somewhere near 250 million from 208 m in 2022 starting with the 2023 league year as that's when the money from the insanely huge new media/tv deals the NFL has secured. By the end of Rodgers would be extension the salary cap could be approaching 300 million

Smart teams will backload contracts pushing the money out to a season in which the cap will be much higher in order to field a contender in 2022
I wouldn't say its as simple as smart teams would do that. Such action have ways of coming back and biting you in the *** if you push too much out. Desperate teams with a couple more years of a superstar player they want to take advantage of maybe but its not a viable way developing a stable team for the future. Going all in for 1 or 2 more years then yeah, go ahead but if you are think beyond that you might want to be more careful.

Now could be an exception since everyone is expecting a big jump in 2023 and beyond. Bigger than normal perhaps but still its wise to be cautious when spending future money when you really don't know how much you will have to spend.

Where are you getting your 250 and 300 million dollar cap figures by the way.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't say its as simple as smart teams would do that. Such action have ways of coming back and biting you in the *** if you push too much out. Desperate teams with a couple more years of a superstar player they want to take advantage of maybe but its not a viable way developing a stable team for the future. Going all in for 1 or 2 more years then yeah, go ahead but if you are think beyond that you might want to be more careful.

Now could be an exception since everyone is expecting a big jump in 2023 and beyond. Bigger than normal perhaps but still its wise to be cautious when spending future money when you really don't know how much you will have to spend.

Where are you getting your 250 and 300 million dollar cap figures by the way.

Kind of just my guess based on history, the cap was just 133 million in 2014, the rate of inflation, where the cap is right now 208 milion, and the size of the new tv/media deal

And i agree not wise to spend projected money in all cases but i think in this specific circumstance Rodgers Adams fhof combination and the cap set to go up as you say "more the normal" it makes sense

The Packers have a unique opportunity to keep the band together by pushing a lot of money out while at the same time not ending up in "cap hell" down the road

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of just my guess based on history, the cap was just 133 million in 2014, the rate of inflation, where the cap is right now 208 milion, and the size of the new tv/media deal

And i agree not wise to spend projected money in all cases but i think in this specific circumstance Rodgers Adams fhof combination and the cap set to go up as you say "more the normal" it makes sense

The Packers have a unique opportunity to keep the band together by pushing a lot of money out while at the same time not ending up in "cap hell" down the road

I actually agree with you from the point of if ever there was a time to do it now is that time.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now is the time to sell high, get a couple lofty draft picks and move on IMO

Members online

Latest posts