Three Moves For 2022 Push To Consider...

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Season is still 3 months away and they probably want to see some of the new guys in camp before letting anyone go?

D

Deleted member 6794

Because I believe that side of the argument potentially builds a better team than current.

If he makes getting a legit #3 OLB veteran and say a fourth CB or maybe afford Julio addition I’m all in

While I agree the Packers should consider releasing Lowry to create some additional cap space if needed there's no rush to do it now.

They could do it in a corresponding move on the day they need the money to sign a veteran at a different position.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buddy of mine always love posing discussion points which then of course cause us to drink way too much bourbon and talk about things for way way too long. Now we don't typically go down the BIG or MASSIVE unlikely scenario type stuff as that isn't Gute or the Packers' style - arguably shouldn't be often times.

Here are the three moves bounced around...thoughts on them?

#1 - Kevin King...familiar and capable...at what point and price do you sign him as a FA?
Compensatory impact is over for signings of Free Agents...so he wouldn't hurt anything there. Last year we nabbed him for $5M...with each ticking day he plays the gamble of taking less and less...do you offer him same as last year to have one of the strongest CB rooms with him as your #4? $4M? $3.5M with incentives?

#2 - Sign a veteran tight end like Jared Cook or Kyle Rudolph...
The 2022 campaign offensively in many ways might go the way of Tonyan as much as it does the way of the WR room. If Tonyan comes back fully healthy and hits the ground running as he did in 2020 and lesser degree in 2021 -this season might just be special for Aaron and the team. However, like having King come in as a depth helper...a Cook type signing would offer a TE if Tonyan takes time that offers a more receiving threat than Lewis and still proven capable TE in line.

#3 - Believe in DL room without Lowry enough to trade or cut him....and turn him into another addition.
I don't think anyone envisioned Wyatt being there from the sounds of it on draft night....so here we sit with Clark, Reed, Wyatt and Slaton and Heflin without even mentioning Lowry (or the rookie drafted in the 7th Ford). IF Green Bay feels confident in the direction of Wyatt, progression of Slaton and fit of Reed....Lowry offers immense cap savings which perhaps Gute and Co. would love to turn into someone else at a different position?

Here we are about to enter week 1 and I still strongly think #1 would be an incredibly solid way to solidify the defense and depth even more....his price is dropping everyday and eventually you know we have to be able to come to an agreement. With LIMITED safety depth, his addition as our 4th CB could allow Rasul to be one of our main Safety back ups. Essentially would assist in making us injury resilient at a position of strength which could keep it a "strength" if needed.

I'd change #3 to #2 and have it say go sign a Pernell McPhee or another veteran EDGE that comes available here soon OR go grab a safety for depth with starting experience as insurance.

I still like the idea of adding Jared Cook to the mix offensively more and more especially if we are holding pat at WR which it appears we are....but perhaps best first to see what Tonyan is going to do.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still like the idea of adding Jared Cook to the mix offensively more and more especially if we are holding pat at WR which it appears we are....but perhaps best first to see what Tonyan is going to do.
I went out on a limb and grabbed Tonyan as my backup TE in one of my leagues. First time in 10 or 12 years, most with multiple teams, that I picked a backup TE. Call it a hunch or a hope or whatever. Im hoping the year off didn't hurt his skills too much and the extra time gave him a chance to improve his mental game ( film study, playbook knowledge, stuff like that.).

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went out on a limb and grabbed Tonyan as my backup TE in one of my leagues. First time in 10 or 12 years, most with multiple teams, that I picked a backup TE. Call it a hunch or a hope or whatever. Im hoping the year off didn't hurt his skills too much and the extra time gave him a chance to improve his mental game ( film study, playbook knowledge, stuff like that.).

I also have Tonyan on one of my teams presently sitting on the bench.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here we are about to enter week 1 and I still strongly think #1 would be an incredibly solid way to solidify the defense and depth even more....his price is dropping everyday and eventually you know we have to be able to come to an agreement. With LIMITED safety depth, his addition as our 4th CB could allow Rasul to be one of our main Safety back ups. Essentially would assist in making us injury resilient at a position of strength which could keep it a "strength" if needed.

I'd change #3 to #2 and have it say go sign a Pernell McPhee or another veteran EDGE that comes available here soon OR go grab a safety for depth with starting experience as insurance.

I do like the idea of adding Jared Cook. I thought they never should have let him walk.

As for King, well and all these FAs still available, is there more going on than we know? That is - is it as simple as they want too much money, or that physically there's something wrong? This late in the PS, with the opening game tomorrow - I tend to think it's physical.

I'm no fan of Kevin King, but the idea of using him and dropping Douglas to safety now and then is intriguing. Amos and Savage make a decent S group, but there's not much depth.

Again, I just wonder why these guys are still available this late.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, I just wonder why these guys are still available this late.
They either old or have injury concerns and they aren't good enough for someone to take the chance with a guaranteed salary if they're on the roster week 1. So they wait until that first game is played and they no longer have to guarantee anything.

Plus teams "know" most of these guys and what they bring. It's not enough to give a roster spot too while they're evaluating new guys. When they start to get a feel for what the new guys bring or don't, they'll decide if one of these types of players can bring more than they can, or fill in for injuries.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Names of possible need in my opinion. I'm not suggesting we go out and sign anyone, only if needed.
S Landon Collins
T Bulaga
TE Cook, Graham, Ebron
OLB Dee Ford
CB King
Interesting list, thanks. I didn't know Bulaga was still around, or Ebron for that matter. I like the idea of adding Cook as long as he can still play near the top of his game. For all the wrong reasons, I don't like King. But that's all personal. It probably makes sense to add him at vet minimum for depth.

Landon Collins would be an interesting Depth addition at S.

Thanks to the explanation from Mondio, above, some of these moves may happen in the first few weeks of the season.

D

Deleted member 6794

With Wyatt having struggled during the preseason and camp I don't think it would be a smart idea to move on from Lowry. In addition you have to consider that his base salary will be fully guaranteed once he's on the roster for week 1, meaning the Packers would have to trade him to save some cap space. I don't think a lot of teams would be interested in giving up reasonable compensation for him.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Wyatt having struggled during the preseason and camp I don't think it would be a smart idea to move on from Lowry. In addition you have to consider that his base salary will be fully guaranteed once he's on the roster for week 1, meaning the Packers would have to trade him to save some cap space. I don't think a lot of teams would be interested in giving up reasonable compensation for him.

That’s why I’d change it. I agree I’m not moving on from Lowry given Wyatt struggle and also we only kept five anyways. (Correction I keep forgetting we kept Ford, so six)

Last edited:

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Names of possible need in my opinion. I'm not suggesting we go out and sign anyone, only if needed.
S Landon Collins
T Bulaga
TE Cook, Graham, Ebron
OLB Dee Ford
CB King
Cook and Graham are both 35 respectively. I'd be surprised if they're up for the grind of a 17 game NFL schedule plus playoffs. I'd be in on a flyer for Ebron. Fumagalli is also still out there if we want to hear about how he only has four fingers on his hand all game. Honestly, if something happened I'd wager we would just bring back Dafney. Not a splash signing, but knows the system.

I've defended King a lot in the past. I've kind of soured on him a bit. He didn't seem to have the passion at the end of the season last year. Seemed he kind of gave up.

I think we are good on the offensive line. If we get injuries I'd be in favor of adding Bulaga, but until then I'd pass. I've been actually pretty impressed by our group and also impressed on how the Front Office seems to continually find guys in the draft and FA market.

I would say that I think TE is our weakest position on the team and would welcome adding a FA guy. Just remember when we added Bennet. It has to be the right fit. Then I think OLB depth is an issue. I'm not sure what Ford has left in him. He seemed to land that big contract and closed up shop. We could sign Fackrell. I had a running joke with my friends that when something bad happened one of us would yell out, "you've been Fackrelled". I'd be in favor of that signing just to be able to yell that out again.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cook and Graham are both 35 respectively. I'd be surprised if they're up for the grind of a 17 game NFL schedule plus playoffs. I'd be in on a flyer for Ebron. Fumagalli is also still out there if we want to hear about how he only has four fingers on his hand all game. Honestly, if something happened I'd wager we would just bring back Dafney. Not a splash signing, but knows the system.

I've defended King a lot in the past. I've kind of soured on him a bit. He didn't seem to have the passion at the end of the season last year. Seemed he kind of gave up.

I think we are good on the offensive line. If we get injuries I'd be in favor of adding Bulaga, but until then I'd pass. I've been actually pretty impressed by our group and also impressed on how the Front Office seems to continually find guys in the draft and FA market.

I would say that I think TE is our weakest position on the team and would welcome adding a FA guy. Just remember when we added Bennet. It has to be the right fit. Then I think OLB depth is an issue. I'm not sure what Ford has left in him. He seemed to land that big contract and closed up shop. We could sign Fackrell. I had a running joke with my friends that when something bad happened one of us would yell out, "you've been Fackrelled". I'd be in favor of that signing just to be able to yell that out again.
Speaking of Fackrell, where is he?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm certainly interested in seeing Wyatt play Sunday.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Fackrell is presently with the Raiders however is on IR.

His year in NY after leaving here he did quite well and actually put up 4 sacks, 34 tackles, 23 solo, 7 TFLs, 10 QBHits, 1 INT, 1 FF. That was better than his 2019 line in GB the year prior in every category (tied in QBhits)

Last year for LAC he didn't play a ton of snaps (second lowest of his career) yet put up 3 sacks, 17 tackles, 11 solo, 4 TFLs, 4 QBhits, 1 FF

Reaction score
I still don't see what all this business is about Devonte Wyatt having a poor start. I just watched a film evaluation of him that matched almost exactly with what I saw and posted earlier. This is why I don't like trusting the surface media stuff concerning players. Granted it was preseason and it was not stellar competition. He was doubled quite a bit and he had several pressures that he didn't get credit for, which does not give me warm and fuzzies about some of the rating sites. Granted the ratings are human, but it was just very obvious he can't be contained 1 on 1 and I don't know how you miss that part? Put that man between Kenny Clark and Rashan Gary and there will be some 911 calls coming in for more doors getting broken on that OL! I would not want to have to block that man, he's going to be Kenny Clark Jr with some experience

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

We are completely set at ILB/DT/RB/QB/ I really think Abernathy could be our answer at 3rd Safety there.
As of recent it looks like Bobby is getting back to himself.

I'd be sniffing around at OLB and CB (swing Tackle as a tertiary option) to see if there is one that is too hard to pass up on. I'd hold off on WR and TE unless we are in dire shape before trade deadline

PS. At just :04 sec you can already see Devonte Wyatt make a tackle! Are they blind! At 2.:24 our DB #25 gets caught sleeping on an clear inside route to the RB, he had 2 other players containing the Edge and he got complacent like he was scared of making a tackle. AT 2:55 he's literally watching the RB cut inside and he acting like he took a bribe to not see it.
A good DB would've greeting the RB at or near the LOS and possible stopped the 1st down and you can tell #25 knew he misses that tackle and completely whiffed there. Nixon really got caught off guard by the motion, but then did a good job catching up to the play only to get embarrassed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don't see what all this business is about Devonte Wyatt having a poor start. I just watched a film evaluation of him that matched almost exactly with what I saw and posted earlier. This is why I don't like trusting the surface media stuff concerning players. Granted it was preseason, but he had several pressures that he didn't get credit for, which does not give me warm and fuzzies about some of the rating sites. Granted they are human, but it was just very obvious he can't be contained 1 on 1. Put that man between Kenny Clark and Rashan Gary and there will be some 911 calls coming in

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

We are completely set at ILB/DT/RB/QB/ and our depth is top 3 easy sneezy. I really think Abernathy could be our answer at 3rd Safety there.
As of recent it looks like Bobby is getting back to himself.

I'd be sniffing around at OLB and CB to see if there is one that is too hard to pass up on. I'd hold off on WR and TE unless we are in dire shape before trade deadline

I never responded in the old post, apologies.

I fully admit grading him so far I could be a tad bit emotionally invested LOL

I expected a TON from him. Wyatt to me was one of the most NFL now prospects I've watched and seen of late along the DL IMO. I hate to admit it as I was wrong IMO, but I expected us to leave camp with him the clear #2 behind Clark. So relative to my expectations I'm harder on him than he probably deserves.

I love what we are grooming in that DL room. Slaton is massively improved and Wyatt being around is just pushing him harder too...add in one of the best (Clark), Mr. Consistent (Lowry) and the bonus solid vet (Reed) this grouping is just awesome.

Reaction score
I never responded in the old post, apologies.

I fully admit grading him so far I could be a tad bit emotionally invested LOL

I expected a TON from him. Wyatt to me was one of the most NFL now prospects I've watched and seen of late along the DL IMO. I hate to admit it as I was wrong IMO, but I expected us to leave camp with him the clear #2 behind Clark. So relative to my expectations I'm harder on him than he probably deserves.

I love what we are grooming in that DL room. Slaton is massively improved and Wyatt being around is just pushing him harder too...add in one of the best (Clark), Mr. Consistent (Lowry) and the bonus solid vet (Reed) this grouping is just awesome.
ITs ok we arent used to having this much talent and we sneakily have become what MN and Chicago used to have in past years. All the talk is focused on WR and justifiably, but the Defense is probably by far the biggest improvement we've had in years. I know this Defense is all on paper (except for Campbell, Clark, Reed, Lowry, Alexander, Amos, Stokes and Rasul lol) but if Walker and Wyatt somehow carry into the NFL against starters like we expect? We are depth of a 1 above average Safety, 1 above average CB and 1 above average OLB away from a dominant Defense all the way through and through.

I've always felt like that #3 Edge spot is most important as far as being disruptive. It can make a #3 S or CB look like an All Pro if the opposing QB is constantly being violated lol. If we don't see substantial play there after several games. I'd go get us a veteran, proven Edge. I'm hoping Enagbare can make an impact in his Rookie campaign

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

That’s why I’d change it. I agree I’m not moving on from Lowry given Wyatt struggle and also we only kept five anyways. (Correction I keep forgetting we kept Ford, so six)

Maybe I misunderstood your previous post but it seemed to me you wanted to put more emphasis into getting a player at different position by moving on from Lowry.

Then I think OLB depth is an issue. I'm not sure what Ford has left in him. He seemed to land that big contract and closed up shop. We could sign Fackrell. I had a running joke with my friends that when something bad happened one of us would yell out, "you've been Fackrelled". I'd be in favor of that signing just to be able to yell that out again.

Fackrell is presently with the Raiders however is on IR.

Actually Fackrell was signed by the Ravens to their practice squad on Wednesday.

Members online

Latest posts