Three Moves For 2022 Push To Consider...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buddy of mine always love posing discussion points which then of course cause us to drink way too much bourbon and talk about things for way way too long. Now we don't typically go down the BIG or MASSIVE unlikely scenario type stuff as that isn't Gute or the Packers' style - arguably shouldn't be often times.

Here are the three moves bounced around...thoughts on them?

#1 - Kevin King...familiar and capable...at what point and price do you sign him as a FA?
Compensatory impact is over for signings of Free Agents...so he wouldn't hurt anything there. Last year we nabbed him for $5M...with each ticking day he plays the gamble of taking less and less...do you offer him same as last year to have one of the strongest CB rooms with him as your #4? $4M? $3.5M with incentives?

Adding a dependable #4 CB is perhaps one of the quiet and overlooked by many ways of upgrading this defense which has just simply been upgraded time and time again this off season through signings and now the draft. We have the space...I'm in at $4M....negotiate incentives to reach higher and I think everyone would understand doing the move with no CBs drafted in the draft and our 4th being either SJC, Ento or newly signed Keisean who hasn't really done anything special outside of special teams.

***Other avenues for same position do exist in the veteran CB market but King has the familiarity.

#2 - Sign a veteran tight end like Jared Cook or Kyle Rudolph...
The 2022 campaign offensively in many ways might go the way of Tonyan as much as it does the way of the WR room. If Tonyan comes back fully healthy and hits the ground running as he did in 2020 and lesser degree in 2021 -this season might just be special for Aaron and the team. However, like having King come in as a depth helper...a Cook type signing would offer a TE if Tonyan takes time that offers a more receiving threat than Lewis and still proven capable TE in line.

#3 - Believe in DL room without Lowry enough to trade or cut him....and turn him into another addition.
I don't think anyone envisioned Wyatt being there from the sounds of it on draft night....so here we sit with Clark, Reed, Wyatt and Slaton and Heflin without even mentioning Lowry (or the rookie drafted in the 7th Ford). IF Green Bay feels confident in the direction of Wyatt, progression of Slaton and fit of Reed....Lowry offers immense cap savings which perhaps Gute and Co. would love to turn into someone else at a different position?

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm good for 1.035m plus incentives for King :p

TE maybe but tbh for me the bigger issue is there's nothing long-term in place at the moment, and IMO Rudolph or Cook or whoever don't do much in that regard either. Help this season would of course be welcome but next season looks rather sparse at the moment

Yes I think I'd pretty comfortably/confidently move on from Lowry at this point. Don't see that being a big loss, probably addition by subtraction once all the dust settles.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TE maybe but tbh for me the bigger issue is there's nothing long-term in place at the moment, and IMO Rudolph or Cook or whoever don't do much in that regard either. Help this season would of course be welcome but next season looks rather sparse at the moment

I haven't studied contracts and teams that may have a TE cap casualty that would be of note...could be an option as well.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting concepts:

I'm still in Kevin King's corner. I say this, look around, and realize that I am standing alone in a quiet CB room.:p I fully recognize all of his warts but still believe, like you, that he can be of value to this team if there aren't better/younger options available.

I'm kind of "meh" on the TE possibilities right now. It's clearly a position that needs help at least until Tonyan returns. However, Tonyan was not having a good year and then shredded his knee. Even if he can get back to 100% health by mid-season, I don't know if that is 2020 Tonyan or 2021 Tonyan. I'd be fine with a cap-friendly veteran pass catching TE, but am realistic that Rudolf and Cook may not be the droids we're looking for.

I've never been much of a Lowry guy. However, he might garner interest in a trade either during camp (unlikely) or during the season. I hate to shed a guy that does an overall decent job when he could help us acquire a TE/WR/OL in a mutually-beneficial trade. I do agree that he is potentially expendable.

Reaction score
Interesting concepts:

I'm still in Kevin King's corner. I say this, look around, and realize that I am standing alone in a quiet CB room.:p I fully recognize all of his warts but still believe, like you, that he can be of value to this team if there aren't better/younger options available.

I'm kind of "meh" on the TE possibilities right now. It's clearly a position that needs help at least until Tonyan returns. However, Tonyan was not having a good year and then shredded his knee. Even if he can get back to 100% health by mid-season, I don't know if that is 2020 Tonyan or 2021 Tonyan. I'd be fine with a cap-friendly veteran pass catching TE, but am realistic that Rudolf and Cook may not be the droids we're looking for.

I've never been much of a Lowry guy. However, he might garner interest in a trade either during camp (unlikely) or during the season. I hate to shed a guy that does an overall decent job when he could help us acquire a TE/WR/OL in a mutually-beneficial trade. I do agree that he is potentially expendable.
It would all depend on the specifics of the trade deal. We’d eat $4m if I have that correct?
The other thing is that he’s been that solid rotational piece. I do see we’ve added a NT and plus Wyatt, but they may want to have the security blanky of Lowry to bring Wyatt up to speed and as a contingency for injuries. He kinda plays everywhere along that DL so he’s versatile.

Reaction score
I’d like to firm up
#solid depth at Safety or CB
#pass-catching TE
# ST stalwarts

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would all depend on the specifics of the trade deal. We’d eat $4m if I have that correct?
The other thing is that he’s been that solid rotational piece. I do see we’ve added a NT and plus Wyatt, but they may want to have the security blanky of Lowry to bring Wyatt up to speed and as a contingency for injuries. He kinda plays everywhere along that DL so he’s versatile.

We also have Reed who is fully capable along the front. That is the factor which made the Wyatt pick perhaps make Lowry expendable to a degree IF one wanted to go that route.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my mind, Wyatt and Lowry don't really play the same position in base. The rest of the group are shorter, squatier guys. Lowry is the lightest (296 is light, HA) and longest at 6'6".

It's not a huge need, but having that length to the strong side on running downs provides value.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Buddy of mine always love posing discussion points which then of course cause us to drink way too much bourbon and talk about things for way way too long. Now we don't typically go down the BIG or MASSIVE unlikely scenario type stuff as that isn't Gute or the Packers' style - arguably shouldn't be often times.

#1 - Kevin King...familiar and capable...at what point and price do you sign him as a FA?
Compensatory impact is over for signings of Free Agents...so he wouldn't hurt anything there. Last year we nabbed him for $5M...with each ticking day he plays the gamble of taking less and less...do you offer him same as last year to have one of the strongest CB rooms with him as your #4? $4M? $3.5M with incentives?

Adding a dependable #4 CB is perhaps one of the quiet and overlooked by many ways of upgrading this defense which has just simply been upgraded time and time again this off season through signings and now the draft. We have the space...I'm in at $4M....negotiate incentives to reach higher and I think everyone would understand doing the move with no CBs drafted in the draft and our 4th being either SJC, Ento or newly signed Keisean who hasn't really done anything special outside of special teams.

***Other avenues for same position do exist in the veteran CB market but King has the familiarity.

The 2022 campaign offensively in many ways might go the way of Tonyan as much as it does the way of the WR room. If Tonyan comes back fully healthy and hits the ground running as he did in 2020 and lesser degree in 2021 -this season might just be special for Aaron and the team. However, like having King come in as a depth helper...a Cook type signing would offer a TE if Tonyan takes time that offers a more receiving threat than Lewis and still proven capable TE in line.

#3 - Believe in DL room without Lowry enough to trade or cut him....and turn him into another addition.
I don't think anyone envisioned Wyatt being there from the sounds of it on draft night....so here we sit with Clark, Reed, Wyatt and Slaton and Heflin without even mentioning Lowry (or the rookie drafted in the 7th Ford). IF Green Bay feels confident in the direction of Wyatt, progression of Slaton and fit of Reed....Lowry offers immense cap savings which perhaps Gute and Co. would love to turn into someone else at a different position?

King would be fine if they wanted more CB depth. Maybe they would kick the tires on Kyler Fuller based on past interest?

At TE, it sounds like they kind of like what they have in Tyler Davis until Tonyan is back in action? Maybe that's misdirection, but I believe Gutekunst said as much. If they wanted a veteran, I would look at Blake Jarwin.

Most likely, I think they fill out the roster with UDFA's who impress in camp or a cut or two from another team.

Reaction score
In my mind, Wyatt and Lowry don't really play the same position in base. The rest of the group are shorter, squatier guys. Lowry is the lightest (296 is light, HA) and longest at 6'6".

It's not a huge need, but having that length to the strong side on running downs provides value.
I agree. Lowry serves a different Niche. He can play anywhere along the DL. But he’s best lined up against an OL that doesn’t have a Stout anchor and has shorter reach. Lowry most effective move is the Straight arm Bullrush. He’s not flashy snap to snap, but Dean surprises on an occasional big play

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be fine bringing King Back. I agree that having him as your #4 CB would mean you have a pretty damned good CB group.

As far as TE I'm not sold on any of the old vets or really any of the younger FAs. I'd prefer to wait to see if there are any cap casualties that might be had after the roster cuts unless one on a stacked team could be had for a reasonable draft pick. There are quite a few set to hit FA next year though. Including a few of our own.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. King- I brought this up when they didn't draft a CB and before they signed Sterling as an UDFA. I would like to see them sign him for $4 million including incentives.
2. I agree with the guys saying be patient and see if a cap casualty surfaces.
3. I agree on keeping Lowry unless due to injury a team makes an offer we can't refuse (due to an injury of our own) and Clark, Reed, Wyatt & Slaton are healthy and productive.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would be fine with the Packers adding King for a reasonable deal. As he would most likely be a backup $4 million seems too much in my opinion though. As a side note, King would have never factored into compensatory picks as he would have been a re-signing by the Packers.

I don't believe any of the veteran tight ends currently available in free agency would significantly improve the position.

It might end up being a decent idea to trade Lowry to add some talent at a position of need. Would free up some cap space as well.

I would definitely be fine with the Packers adding a tight end just to improve the position for the upcoming season. Unfortunately I'm not convinced anyone currently available would be able to achieve that though.

While the Packers moving on from Lowry would result in dead money of $4 million counting against their cap it would free up at least $4 million of cap space for the 2022 season as well.

At TE, it sounds like they kind of like what they have in Tyler Davis until Tonyan is back in action? Maybe that's misdirection, but I believe Gutekunst said as much. If they wanted a veteran, I would look at Blake Jarwin.

As mentioned in another thread, Jarwin won't be ready for the start of the season because of a hip injury. Therefore I prefer the Packers to pass on him.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

ok I'll start with what I love: Lowry should be gone, shows sparks, but not enough to keep him. Slaton will improve, Heflin showed more in pre-season than regular season hopefully that can improve vastly. Wyatt should be a rotation guy almost by Week 1. Ford kinda has pedigree, but I'm not expecting much from him early. With Kenny Clark leading the room I think we'll be ok.

What I knida love: The thought of adding an athletic tight end tight vet. Thing is the guys you mentioned are no longer that. 5 years ago I would've LOVED to have Rudolph.

What makes me wonder if you're a Bears fan in drag: Kevin King? Seriously I don't care if we have to suit up Murph to play DB this year at 66 years old there's literally NO WAY I want toast back on this team. Bringing him back last year was bad enough!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He literally played quite well last year and isn’t your CB1,2, or even 3.

King has starting CB games and then completely not also at times when you ask him to be a starter outside as a 1 or 2 but you have to be a fool to not think he is freaking awesome as a 4 on a team because the dude has plays and games where he is a CB1 level guy. That isn’t even debatable

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He literally played quite well last year and isn’t your CB1,2, or even 3.

King has starting CB games and then completely not also at times when you ask him to be a starter outside as a 1 or 2 but you have to be a fool to not think he is freaking awesome as a 4 on a team because the dude has plays and games where he is a CB1 level guy. That isn’t even debatable
At 4 he would be great - for cheap. And sit him during playoffs. He tends to flush his brain and let wrs run wild in the end zone in prevent. Point is no re-treads - Cooky and King while svcable arent setting the league on fire w offers from other teams. Anyone who thinks Tonyon will be back to 100 pct anytime soon is delusional - if the injury he suffered was as bad as it seemed he wont hit the field at all. The Cobb types of the world should be an anomaly and not a trend.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers need to sign Julio Jones. Between him and Sammy Watkins the Packers might be able to remotely simulate Davante Adams' production. I'm assuming Jones and Watkins will play about 10 games each, as they are often injured, although still productive when healthy.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok I'll start with what I love: Lowry should be gone, shows sparks, but not enough to keep him. Slaton will improve, Heflin showed more in pre-season than regular season hopefully that can improve vastly. Wyatt should be a rotation guy almost by Week 1. Ford kinda has pedigree, but I'm not expecting much from him early. With Kenny Clark leading the room I think we'll be ok.

What I knida love: The thought of adding an athletic tight end tight vet. Thing is the guys you mentioned are no longer that. 5 years ago I would've LOVED to have Rudolph.

What makes me wonder if you're a Bears fan in drag: Kevin King? Seriously I don't care if we have to suit up Murph to play DB this year at 66 years old there's literally NO WAY I want toast back on this team. Bringing him back last year was bad enough!
I am now 100% convinced bringing back King is a good move.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At 4 he would be great - for cheap. And sit him during playoffs. He tends to flush his brain and let wrs run wild in the end zone in prevent. Point is no re-treads - Cooky and King while svcable arent setting the league on fire w offers from other teams. Anyone who thinks Tonyon will be back to 100 pct anytime soon is delusional - if the injury he suffered was as bad as it seemed he wont hit the field at all. The Cobb types of the world should be an anomaly and not a trend.
Hey doctor l, I got this pain in my shoulder, when do you think I will be able to golf again?

Reaction score
While the Packers moving on from Lowry would result in dead money of $4 million counting against their cap it would free up at least $4 million of cap space for the 2022 season as well.
True. Also releasing Lowry would allow us to apply that $4M to another position group. Such as CB, S or TE.

I think we’d have a 50/50 shot of getting King to sign a ~$2-3M deal if he understood he was our primary backup. He wouldn’t be taking the full array of abuses and there’s something to be said for that.

On a non directly related note.
One thing people forget with King is there’s a big difference coming in as a #3-#4 CB as far as level of direct competition verses him being our #1-#2 guy. Also CB is an area that tends to see injury and I’d be fine with him becoming our 3rd option there. Not to mention he’d probably be a stellar ST guy in the meantime.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

It's outright crazy to suggest having King as your #4 cornerback would be anything else than amazing.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It might end up being a decent idea to trade Lowry to add some talent at a position of need. Would free up some cap space as well.
Been preaching this all off-season. He has a pretty hefty cap hit and only serves depth purposes. If/when released hopefully the money available is used for an extension.

Members online

Latest posts