Three Moves For 2022 Push To Consider...

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As your 4 yes amazing is the proper word every single time.
If it's meant to refer to the three guys ahead of him, who are all amazing, well that I can buy. But when referring to King as a player, nope. He's an average CB in the NFL, whether he's first on a particular team's depth chart, or 4th. I can also see the logic of keeping him. There is no one out there better. That hardly makes a guy "amazing" as a player. I think this comes down to the choice of a word and we're debating nothing.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for the record, Cook signed with the Raiders after leaving the Packers in 2017.
Thanks. He was there for a few years as I recall and then ended up in NOLA.
Again, if we could get King and Cook for $5-$6M total package I’d be elated. Call him whatever you want, I’ll sign the petition.
That's a better way to look at it Oldschool. Both of those guys are now average players, but a bargain at the $$$ you mention. And especially at TE, they desperately need a pass catcher and Cook would suffice until Tonyan gets back, or they miraculously find someone else.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it's meant to refer to the three guys ahead of him, who are all amazing, well that I can buy. But when referring to King as a player, nope. He's an average CB in the NFL, whether he's first on a particular team's depth chart, or 4th. I can also see the logic of keeping him. There is no one out there better. That hardly makes a guy "amazing" as a player.

We aren't going to agree. Kevin King is a roller coaster no one wants to ride as either of your day in day out outside starting corners, due to his up and down production. However, the dude legit has games where he is a CB1 level guy and then CB4 or CB5. To have a fourth CB in the NFL (a passing league) that at times looks like a bonafide starter, has bonafide starting experience...yeah that is a amazing for a team's 4th CB.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We aren't going to agree. Kevin King is a roller coaster no one wants to ride as either of your day in day out outside starting corners, due to his up and down production. However, the dude legit has games where he is a CB1 level guy and then CB4 or CB5. To have a fourth CB in the NFL (a passing league) that at times looks like a bonafide starter, has bonafide starting experience...yeah that is a amazing for a team's 4th CB.
Yeah it was just the choice of a word, but you explain it well. And I'll admit there's a little anger involved when I think of him and his spectacular failure in the NFCCG against Tampa. He's not a starter anymore, but does play like one on occasion. For a number 4 corner, you could call that amazing.

It also shows how well Gluten has drafted and managed that position. And that's a relief after all of TT's disastrous attempts. He drafted the wrong guys sometimes (Randall and Rollins), and then let players walk he should have kept (Hyde and Hayward). So after all these years, it's nice to have one of the better corner groups in the NFL, if not the best.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah it was just the choice of a word, but you explain it well. And I'll admit there's a little anger involved when I think of him and his spectacular failure in the NFCCG against Tampa. He's not a starter anymore, but does play like one on occasion. For a number 4 corner, you could call that amazing.

It also shows how well Gluten has drafted and managed that position. And that's a relief after all of TT's disastrous attempts. He drafted the wrong guys sometimes (Randall and Rollins), and then let players walk he should have kept (Hyde and Hayward). So after all these years, it's nice to have one of the better corner groups in the NFL, if not the best.

If they signed a King or another seasoned veteran still able to be a teams depth guy and spot starter I without blinking would say we have the best CB room in the league! :D

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they signed a King or another seasoned veteran still able to be a teams depth guy and spot starter I without blinking would say we have the best CB room in the league! :D
And on that we can agree! ;) Like I said, I still see red when I think of Brady burning him for that TD before the end of the half, and then grabbing a guy's jersey for a holding penalty to end the game on an uncatchable ball. But he got gamed by Brady, the best in the business.

So yeah, we've come to agreement. I'd call it an amazing group of corners. And really glad they signed Alexander. They should have enough cap now to find a veteran WR or TE, although I think they'll have more luck with a WR. And if they need an extra $4 mil, I think they can safely jettison Lowry.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And on that we can agree! ;) Like I said, I still see red when I think of Brady burning him for that TD before the end of the half, and then grabbing a guy's jersey for a holding penalty to end the game on an uncatchable ball. But he got gamed by Brady, the best in the business.

So yeah, we've come to agreement. I'd call it an amazing group of corners. And really glad they signed Alexander. They should have enough cap now to find a veteran WR or TE, although I think they'll have more luck with a WR. And if they need an extra $4 mil, I think they can safely jettison Lowry.

If we sign a veteran I predict it will be a OLB or a WR. I truly don't think a TE is gonna happen unless a surprise cut happens and signing or Tonyan isn't progressing anywhere close to what they thought.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it's meant to refer to the three guys ahead of him, who are all amazing, well that I can buy. But when referring to King as a player, nope. He's an average CB in the NFL, whether he's first on a particular team's depth chart, or 4th. I can also see the logic of keeping him. There is no one out there better. That hardly makes a guy "amazing" as a player. I think this comes down to the choice of a word and we're debating nothing.
Yeah, it's probably just parsing semantics at this point but for me there's a big difference between being an "amazing *value*" and being an outright "amazing *player*".

For me King as 4th CB would certainly be the former but not the latter. As our 4th CB he'd be a great value for the money but that doesn't make him a great player in his own right.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah, it's probably just parsing semantics at this point but for me there's a big difference between being an "amazing *value*" and being an outright "amazing *player*".

For me King as 4th CB would certainly be the former but not the latter. As our 4th CB he'd be a great value for the money but that doesn't make him a great player in his own right.
Thanks Magooch. Well said.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we sign a veteran I predict it will be a OLB or a WR. I truly don't think a TE is gonna happen unless a surprise cut happens and signing or Tonyan isn't progressing anywhere close to what they thought.
I don't think there are any TEs out there. And yeah, OLB for depth is critical. I'm happy with Campbell and Walker inside, but that's to stop the run and drop into coverage, mostly. I think with the additions to the iDL, the Edge guys will have an easier time. Still, I'd take another OLB anytime.

What will be interesting is what gluten does with the cap he "saved" this year. Doe he go after a veteran WR in a trade, or go with one of the pricier FAs left like Julio Jones. At some point it's gonna get too crowded in the WR group if Watson and Doubs are gonna get meaningful snaps.

Regardless, OLB/Edge or WR fine with me.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is KK and amazing player? absolutely not. Would it be amazing to have him as your 4th CB? Absolutely.

That's how I would put it.

I still think that one play is clouding a lot of judgements. I say that one play because if it wasn't for that one play I think a lot of those judgements would overlook the second one. The second one is being judged more harshly than it might be because of the first one.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What will be interesting is what gluten does with the cap he "saved" this year. Doe he go after a veteran WR in a trade, or go with one of the pricier FAs left like Julio Jones. At some point it's gonna get too crowded in the WR group if Watson and Doubs are gonna get meaningful snaps.

With a WR room like ours I'm not sure I take cutting into the rookies snaps too seriously. Any one or more of the guys ahead of the rookies could just as easily fall flat as excel giving the rookies their chance. With as uncertain of a group like this if you can add a more established veteran (like Julio) and make the group better now I say you do it and let the snaps work themselves out. If the rookies are as good as we hope I have no doubt they will beat out some of the older guys. If it takes them half a season to do it but the older guys help us win a few games in the meantime I think its money well spent.

The only exception might be is if the coaches see something really outstanding in practice that makes them think the rookies will be able to contribute immediately.

On the other hand, right now we have Cobb, Watkins, Lazard, Rodgers, Watson, Doubs as the front runners to make the 53. Signing another veteran would make keeping 7 necessary or letting one of them go. Which one would it be.

Reaction score
On the other hand, right now we have Cobb, Watkins, Lazard, Rodgers, Watson, Doubs as the front runners to make the 53. Signing another veteran would make keeping 7 necessary or letting one of them go. Which one would it be.
While I think we’d be functional with the current group, I see us 1 more weapon away from turning the group into a fierce competition for top dog. If we were able to get Julio for anything in the single digits? I’d be elated. The guy is still formidable if left unchecked, even at this stage of his career. Tie his contract to his playing time as long as it doesn’t exceed 10M ceiling range.

It’s like a bunch of WR misfits, but us kids LOVED the island of Misfits!

Julio
Watson
Lazard
Cobb
Watkins
Doubs

Sending JJ, Watson and Doubs deep while Lazard, Cobb and Watkins tear you up underneath. That doesn’t look so bad at all. Might even be a dangerous group of misfits if they work together well. :)

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I think we’d be functional with the current group, I see us 1 more weapon away from turning the group into a fierce competition for top dog. If we were able to get Julio for anything in the single digits? I’d be elated. The guy is still formidable if left unchecked, even at this stage of his career. Tie his contract to his playing time as long as it doesn’t exceed 10M ceiling range.

I agree. I keep coming back to Rodgers as the wild card. As long as he's around the WRs are probably going to look better than they really are. With a lesser QB I'd be very worried about this group, at least until Watson and Doubs got their feet wet. I still wish we had been seriously addressing this for the past few years but its hard to argue with the way the rest of the team has developed. Draft a couple more WRs high up in the past three years and maybe we miss out on someone else. In 2021 we might miss out on Stokes or Myers. In 2020 maybe we miss on Dillon. 2019 Jenkins, Savage and Gary. I think those guys, at least 5 of the six are pretty key to how good this team is as a whole right now and Savage might still contribute even more.

I know no one is saying we should have taken a WR with all those picks but which ones would you take a chance on losing given that the WR selected would not have been a guaranteed hit either.

I also know that we might have also missed out on Love, Deguara, Sternberger, or A. Rodgers and if we had take WRs with those 4 picks or any of them we might be sitting pretty good right now but who knows.

All in all I'll take the situation we are in right now and that means accepting the circumstances that got us here. I think its pretty damn good. Could we be better? Maybe, but we could also be a heck of a lot worse.

Julio
Watson
Lazard
Cobb
Watkins
Doubs

I'd be fine with this group. Its not killer but as a whole I think its stronger than anything we've had since MLF got here.

Sending JJ, Watson and Doubs deep while Lazard, Cobb and Watkins tear you up underneath. That doesn’t look so bad at all. Might even be a dangerous group of misfits if they work together well. :)
Not all on one play though right? ;);)

Reaction score
I agree. I keep coming back to Rodgers as the wild card. As long as he's around the WRs are probably going to look better than they really are. With a lesser QB I'd be very worried about this group, at least until Watson and Doubs got their feet wet. I still wish we had been seriously addressing this for the past few years but its hard to argue with the way the rest of the team has developed. Draft a couple more WRs high up in the past three years and maybe we miss out on someone else. In 2021 we might miss out on Stokes or Myers. In 2020 maybe we miss on Dillon. 2019 Jenkins, Savage and Gary. I think those guys, at least 5 of the six are pretty key to how good this team is as a whole right now and Savage might still contribute even more.

I know no one is saying we should have taken a WR with all those picks but which ones would you take a chance on losing given that the WR selected would not have been a guaranteed hit either.

I also know that we might have also missed out on Love, Deguara, Sternberger, or A. Rodgers and if we had take WRs with those 4 picks or any of them we might be sitting pretty good right now but who knows.

All in all I'll take the situation we are in right now and that means accepting the circumstances that got us here. I think its pretty damn good. Could we be better? Maybe, but we could also be a heck of a lot worse.

I'd be fine with this group. Its not killer but as a whole I think its stronger than anything we've had since MLF got here.

Not all on one play though right? ;);)
Send them all!

No. but it opens up more than just 1 speed option from previous years.

I just feel like someone would rise to the occasion of Doubs was low man on that totem
It would confuse the heck out if Defenses in us not really having any bonafide #1. Lol

D

Deleted member 6794

I would definitely prefer the Packers to add another veteran wide receiver instead of relying on rookies (especially Doubs) to be productive during their rookie campaign.

In my opinion Rodgers would be the odd man out at this point. I'm not convinced Gutekunst would be ready to move on from a third rounder after only one season.

While I think we’d be functional with the current group, I see us 1 more weapon away from turning the group into a fierce competition for top dog.

Even if the Packers add one of the receivers currently available the group shouldn't be considered anywhere close to being one of the best in the league.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LoL I noticed that mistype as well.
I'm missing it. What did I say.

If you are referring to three of those guys being pass catchers I meant guys that everyone here wanted and knew would be studs. Not reaches that didn't pan out (to this point anyway) Rodgers remains to be seen and I guess Deguara as well but as of now they haven't contributed a whole lot.

Still if I screwed up it just shows that Gute did try to give Rodgers weapons which goes against the popular narrative.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You stated we took no wide receivers and listed one amongst the picks.

Only way around that is if you edited you post. Not a big deal was amusing as all.

Reaction score
Even if the Packers add one of the receivers currently available the group shouldn't be considered anywhere close to being one of the best in the league.
I meant an additional WR becoming competition for top dog of the unit, not the entire NFL ;)
While I think we’d be functional with the current group, I see us 1 more weapon away from turning the group into a fierce competition for top dog.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I meant an additional WR becoming competition for top dog of the unit, not the entire NFL ;)

My bad, I thought you suggested another veteran receiver would make the receiving corps one of the best in the league.

Members online

Latest posts