What Should They Do?

Should the Packers fire Gutey and give Rodgers the extension that ties him to the team for the next

• Yes

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 43 81.1%

• Total voters

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless he slept with his girlfriend or tried to fight him in the locker room, I don't care what business decision has been made, it's not the players right or role, no matter how good he is, to be part of the decision.

That's what the board and the president are there for. Not Aaron.

Gute and Danica. You may be on to something there.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is the main reason the Packers have made it to two consecutive NFCCG though.
But not the only reason. all those other things about moving around the draft, continually turning over bottom of roster players looking for people that can help, and then I think they just had one of their better drafts in the first 4 picks this year. Gute has not been doing some lousy job. I think he's done a pretty decent job actually. Up until this point, most would have agreed I think.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow so the poll is a resounding fu2 to Aaron Rodgers...haha I have a feeling that'll change when he lines up as the Packers starting QB in a full stadium come September for your Super Bowl bound Green Bay Packers...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair no one that I know believes we are better without Aaron, I think folks are just over his ****show of immaturity

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow so the poll is a resounding fu2 to Aaron Rodgers...haha I have a feeling that'll change when he lines up as the Packers starting QB in a full stadium come September for your Super Bowl bound Green Bay Packers...
Nope, you just happened to post it in the Green Bay PACKERS message board, not the Green Bay RODGERS message board.

You don't jettison the front office to appease a single player. Period.

Karen_Rodgers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should have traded A A Ron to the 9ers for Kittle + Bosa + this year 1st when we had the chance...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should have traded A A Ron to the 9ers for Kittle + Bosa + this year 1st when we had the chance...

again... please explain what players we are cutting to not only have the 38M cap hit of Rodgers and inherit those two contracts....

David Ciembronowicz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What message does that send? To players, to the HC, and ultimately... To ANYONE who GB wants to seek out in the future?

That they will dump you overboard if you catch the Star QBs side eye.

What a horrible precedent to set.

It's like negotiating with terrorists. If you give them what they want, it will fix the immediate problem, but lead to MANY more problems later.
First of all, ridiculous to suggest this is like negotiating with terrorists; this is a sport, not life and death. Second, Rodgers is a prima donna, he also is a top 2 QB in the NFL who frankly has not been given weapons on offense and the D has failed them on numerous occasions the past 3 years due to poor play, lack of talent, poor coaching and just downright getting kicked around by opponents. No one knows if Rodgers demanded what is suggested if he did he should be traded. Regardless, bottom line is that the GM has not done the Packers any favors in his short term in that job. He was the wrong guy for the job and based on results the people on his staff share some of responsibility for failure to bring in the right players. Example: Jordan Love, is that who Packer fans want to see at QB? Say "Rebuild" if that is the case, untested, unproven, ceiling unknown; but that is what could happen, if Rodgers retires or gets traded what do you get for him other than draft capital? Any QB's out there that would be available to run this offense at a Championship level.... no, this team is not built for a Rodger-less offense. All in all, will be interesting to watch but Packer fans may end up wringing our hands come September (or sooner).

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would ask the 11 or so percent that are siding with Rodgers this question: Who did you side with in 2008? Did you side with management i.e. Rodgers then? If so you're just a Rodgers person, don't want what's best for the team in the long run, and maybe you should go join the Bears fan forum. IF you sided with Favre I will say 13 years ago, I see your point, I've always wanted what was best for the team, and was not a fan of us doing worse than Favre led teams the first 2 years he was gone, but I've learned that if you don't let the Prima Donna go, and let him control the team, you're gonna screw yourself for a decade or two. I'd rather suck for 2-3 years than 2-3 decades.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I would rather root for a great person on a good team than a despicable person on a contender.

ESPN radio guys did list of most unlikable QBs. Rodgers was #1 on both their lists. It's not just many Packer fans that are fed up. Funny thing is, one guy said that he was the #1 guy he wanted to watch play just didn't like him personally.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One thing that is somehow going unmentioned in a lot of this discussion: Aaron Rodgers turns 38 this year.

We are a couple years away from the end of his playing career, whether it's in Green Bay or somewhere else.

So yeah... ANY team gets worse if you take the reigning MVP off of it. But even if the Packers didn't choose to make that decision, it would be made for them sooner rather than later.

This is why I've been saying that trading him makes a lot of sense. Most teams, when they're trying to get off the ground with a new franchise QB, have to shell out a ton of draft capital to get their guy. The Packers have an opportunity to instead acquire a ton of draft capital to use to build around their QB by trading Rodgers before he's totally done.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Completely disagree. There MUST be a line between staff and management/leadership. I don't care if Aaron retires and turns into Ron Wolf reincarnated.

You. Do. Not. Let. Personnel. Dictate. The. Front. Office.

Its bad. It is always bad. They may not like it, but it's a line that you must have and must be respected.

An opinion? Ok. Seek your team leader out and weigh their opinion heavily, to keep them engaged and part of the process, but it MUST be a known that it's an info only inquiry, not a dictation, and it's certainly a courtesy, not a binding part of their role.

Otherwise, it's a recipe for disaster.

I agree in principle, but there absolutely things a FO persons could do to an employee that would warrant their input in the decision to fire a FO person, I mean I could give you many examples but they are outlandish and not proper things to talk about in a civilized discussion.

this isn’t the 1920’s, management does not get to do whatever they want to an employee without consequences.

all of that said, unless some sort unfathomable bombshell were to drop about gute’s behavior, if Aaron actually communicated to anyone this me or him line then Aaron should be the one to be shown the door

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

When did we have that chance? Everything I have read says no formal offer was made. Gute says he didn't even talk to Lynch. The only report that had any details, and that sounds made up, had Jimmy G as the only player named.

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would miss Brian Gutekunst about as much as I have missed Mike McCarthy. Aaron Rodgers does not need the Packers, but the Packers need Aaron Rodgers if they want to win football games. Is he arrogant? Sure he is as are the vast majority of professional athletes. I wonder what the Packer Executive Committee and Board of Directors are talking about these days? I bet they want Aaron to stay. Gutekunst's current contract runs through 2022. All they have to do is pay off the remainder of this year and the final year of his contract to send him packing.

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What message does that send? To players, to the HC, and ultimately... To ANYONE who GB wants to seek out in the future?

That they will dump you overboard if you catch the Star QBs side eye.

What a horrible precedent to set.

It's like negotiating with terrorists. If you give them what they want, it will fix the immediate problem, but lead to MANY more problems later.
That's the most disgusting and possibly stupid post, I've seen in this forum. And I do apologize for calling names, but in this case, it's warranted.

Quote me a instance where AR wanted to leave before the Love fiasco. Also even despite that, all he wants is guarantee of his contract and potential to play more for us.

Are we really starting a hate campaign for a player who wants to play longer for us? For me, it's ****in nuts.

Give him an extension that's loaded with performance based clauses and that's it. Even otherwise, just give him a damn extension. We are likely to do better with Rogers in 2024 than Love. And even if he degrades, we still have time to make amends.

The villifacation of Rodgers has to stop.

Reaction score
Someone wondering about a straight swap trade? I have a suggestion:

Russell Wilson for Aaron Rodgers straight up.

I have heard a rumor that this is a possibility. If we do end up trading Rodgers, and don't get a good QB in the trade, I think we are looking at a rebuild situation. I think we can be decent with decent QB play, but I don't think Love is ready. I also think we need great QB play, not just decent or ok QB play, to be a super bowl contender.

I think getting Russel Wilson would keep us as a super bowl contender. I saw him play in person at NC State and of course I have seen how good he is with Seattle, he is one of the top QBs in the league. I have also heard we are looking at trading with the Raiders and getting Carr as the QB. I am not sure how good he is, whether or not he would be good enough to take us to a super bowl, but I think he could at least keep us as a winning and competitive, playoff-bound team while being a good mentor to Love, easing the transition. If we trade with the Broncos, we are not getting a decent QB and are looking at a rebuild.

Reaction score
I am not going to take sides in the dispute because I don't know all of the facts, what is going on, or who is to blame. With that being said, to answer the question, no, I don't think firing the GM is a reasonable demand by a player.

All I know is that this situation had better get resolved.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would miss Brian Gutekunst about as much as I have missed Mike McCarthy. Aaron Rodgers does not need the Packers, but the Packers need Aaron Rodgers if they want to win football games.
The Packers don't need Rodgers. What would we really be missing, going to the NFCCG every year against a different team and losing? But I hope they work things out.

Of course you can't let the star QB dictate who the GM is. But I see where he's coming from - don't agree with him, but I see it. Rodgers wants commitment from the Packers that they want him as QB long term. And he sees Gute as the guy he can't trust, as the guy who wants to get rid of him and put his guy in (Love). He sees Gute as the guy who doesn't want to commit to him, and that's why he wants him gone.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the most disgusting and possibly stupid post, I've seen in this forum. And I do apologize for calling names, but in this case, it's warranted.

Quote me a instance where AR wanted to leave before the Love fiasco. Also even despite that, all he wants is guarantee of his contract and potential to play more for us.

Are we really starting a hate campaign for a player who wants to play longer for us? For me, it's ****** nuts.

Give him an extension that's loaded with performance based clauses and that's it. Even otherwise, just give him a damn extension. We are likely to do better with Rogers in 2024 than Love. And even if he degrades, we still have time to make amends.

The villifacation of Rodgers has to stop.

But the vilification of the Packers front office can keep going?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have heard a rumor that this is a possibility. If we do end up trading Rodgers, and don't get a good QB in the trade, I think we are looking at a rebuild situation. I think we can be decent with decent QB play, but I don't think Love is ready. I also think we need great QB play, not just decent or ok QB play, to be a super bowl contender.

I think getting Russel Wilson would keep us as a super bowl contender. I saw him play in person at NC State and of course I have seen how good he is with Seattle, he is one of the top QBs in the league. I have also heard we are looking at trading with the Raiders and getting Carr as the QB. I am not sure how good he is, whether or not he would be good enough to take us to a super bowl, but I think he could at least keep us as a winning and competitive, playoff-bound team while being a good mentor to Love, easing the transition. If we trade with the Broncos, we are not getting a decent QB and are looking at a rebuild.

Just curious, where did you hear we are looking at a trade with the Raiders?

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if this happened...I'll bet the pack would win it all right now
Funny thing is Jordan Love was compared to Wilson a lot during scouting reports. At that point I would rather take my chances with Love and build for the next 2-15 years, both in terms of cap stability and creating a legit contender.

We should also all be keeping in mind that even if a Rodgers-less offense scores 0 points, our defense and return game can still win us games. Fans need to r-e-l-a-x about losing Rodgers and focus on MLF's admitted vision upon hire that he wants to get this team back to old school black & blue NFC North type of gameplay. Beefy lines, a very run-heavy offense, and a terrifying defense.