What Should They Do?

Should the Packers fire Gutey and give Rodgers the extension that ties him to the team for the next

• Yes

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 43 81.1%

• Total voters

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Charles Robinson is to be believed Aaron Rodgers and his agent have communicated to Mark Murphy that they would like him to fire Gutey and sign Rodgers to an extension ensuring he'll be the Packers qb for the next two seasons...

To me that seems reasonable, well the extension to gurantee he's the QB thru 2022 does. That still allows the Packers FO to keep the flexibility to move on from Rodgers to Love in 2023.

Now the fire Gutey part doesn't seem very reasonable but we don't know the specifics of the situation. If gutey really did tell Rodgers after the draft last year that he'd trade him after the 2020 season to move on to Jordan Love. And then backed off it after Rodgers played like he did...I could understand how Rodgers or anyone would make a fire dude or I'm not returning ultimatum

Just interested to see how this poll turns out

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What message does that send? To players, to the HC, and ultimately... To ANYONE who GB wants to seek out in the future?

That they will dump you overboard if you catch the Star QBs side eye.

What a horrible precedent to set.

It's like negotiating with terrorists. If you give them what they want, it will fix the immediate problem, but lead to MANY more problems later.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we just trade the petulant child and maybe bring back Favre for a a one-year deal so Love can learn how to be a leader?

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of anyone pressuring anyone to fire someone without all the details. If it is solely him being that upset over Jordan Love being drafted, then no. If there are other things that occurred, promises broken or false statements then I can see that.

Unfortunately no one has that info to make the right call.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have the right info to make the call. It’s called Rodgers contract. We already HAVE him through 2022. This nonsense about “Gute told me this or that” is pure conjecture... and then there’s the “I heard this” vs “I said that”.... if it ain’t in writing... it ain’t.... Personally I don’t see how this guy leads our football team next year. He’s irreparabley damaged himself as QB of the Green Bay Packers. Favre’s problem was emotion loving the game and being a bit of a diva (and the press falling for it hook line and sinker year after year. Rogers has always been an overated *** you know what imo. Zero tears seeing him go. Get what you can for him or just let him quit. I was very very disappointed when Favre retired. Rodgers want’s to pull this crap on draft weekend and detract somewhat from young men’s day in the sun? Don’t let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya... and Shailene?.... get a good pre-nup... btw... I was a “no vote” above

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of anyone pressuring anyone to fire someone without all the details. If it is solely him being that upset over Jordan Love being drafted, then no. If there are other things that occurred, promises broken or false statements then I can see that.

Unfortunately no one has that info to make the right call.

Yeah, we do have the info to make the right call. Rodgers is a player. Players should never have any say on who keeps their job or not in the FO. Easy.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely not. Even if Gute promised to trade him and then reneged.

Rodgers should be the one shown the door. The only thing that worries me about that though is how it might affect our ability to extend Adams. I really doubt it would matter but I could see a situation where it might.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do people really think that rodgers actually said that he wanted gute fired?

I don't known if he qualifies as people but Charles Robinson obviously does.

Its possible the conversation went more like this.

Murphy: what can we do to get over this and move on with you as our QB?

Rodgers or his agent: getting rid of Gute would be a good first step.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players should never have any say on who keeps their job or not in the FO.

Never is too strong.

I'll leave the potential out there that whatever truly is going on inside 1265 might lead me to believe that Gute is in over his head, is inept and makes me question his long term viability in the position especially if it is something that could impact players resigning or signing. What that could be... no idea.

More than likely this is Aaron holding a grudge and is pissed off and in that case, nope.. would agree. But I'm not going to draw a line and say never.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until Aaron stops acting like a middle school child and releases a clear and extensive statement directly I don’t want us to do a damn thing. Dude needs to own his statements openly or refute them openly...no more of this 3rd person removed ********

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never is too strong.

I'll leave the potential out there that whatever truly is going on inside 1265 might lead me to believe that Gute is in over his head, is inept and makes me question his long term viability in the position especially if it is something that could impact players resigning or signing. What that could be... no idea.

More than likely this is Aaron holding a grudge and is pissed off and in that case, nope.. would agree. But I'm not going to draw a line and say never.
Could not imagine any fan not thinking Gute is doing a great job overall. He inherited a team in the middle of the Pack. In his 2nd and 3rd year they are in the NFCCG. Brought in some very impactful FAs. Was a master of the draft in 2018 with trading around, getting one of the best CBS in the NFL and a future 1st round pick. If you want to ding him on player relations so be it. But what grown adult man expects a 38 year old NFL QB to behave like a 12 year old.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely not. Even if Gute promised to trade him and then reneged.

Rodgers should be the one shown the door. The only thing that worries me about that though is how it might affect our ability to extend Adams. I really doubt it would matter but I could see a situation where it might.
If love shows him love, it will not matter.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What message does that send? To players, to the HC, and ultimately... To ANYONE who GB wants to seek out in the future?

What a horrible precedent to set.

It's like negotiating with terrorists. If you give them what they want, it will fix the immediate problem, but lead to MANY more problems later.

It seems like that's been happening a lot in the NBA the past 3-5 years, where players can dictate who the coach and/or GM is. Unfortunately for Rodgers, he doesn't play in the NBA. The NFL isn't like that, at least not yet.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never is too strong.

Completely disagree. There MUST be a line between staff and management/leadership. I don't care if Aaron retires and turns into Ron Wolf reincarnated.

You. Do. Not. Let. Personnel. Dictate. The. Front. Office.

Its bad. It is always bad. They may not like it, but it's a line that you must have and must be respected.

An opinion? Ok. Seek your team leader out and weigh their opinion heavily, to keep them engaged and part of the process, but it MUST be a known that it's an info only inquiry, not a dictation, and it's certainly a courtesy, not a binding part of their role.

Otherwise, it's a recipe for disaster.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you want to ding him on player relations so be it. But what grown adult man expects a 38 year old NFL QB to behave like a 12 year old.

I'm not dinging him on anything nor do I think he should be fired.

I'm just play devil's advocate that there could be some extreme case where Gute should be removed for player relations.

More than likely yes, this is just a case of a 38 year old man acting like a passive aggressive 12 year old man child. God knows there is a enough smoke out there that shows that Rodger's probably isn't the easiest person to get along with.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm just play devil's advocate that there could be some extreme case where Gute should be removed for player relations.

More than likely yes, this is just a case of a 38 year old man acting like a passive aggressive 12 year old man child. God knows there is a enough smoke out there that shows that Rodger's probably isn't the easiest person to get along with.
Unless he slept with his girlfriend or tried to fight him in the locker room, I don't care what business decision has been made, it's not the players right or role, no matter how good he is, to be part of the decision.

That's what the board and the president are there for. Not Aaron.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, and I ask all the Aaron backers to do this mental exercise:

Would you want to be Aaron's coworker or boss given what we think we know?

Would you want to work with a person who knows how valuable they are to an organization, and who chooses to leverage that via rumor and innuendo at any perceived slight to make your workplace as ungodly uncomfortable as possible to get their way, by force?

How really different is it from what we saw from Antonio Brown and the Steelers/Raider/Patriots fiasco a few years back?

Not much. Just another player who sees themselves as larger than the team, willing to be a distraction so long as it gets them theirs.

This has caused a Tidal Wave of distraction, one that will be talked about for a minimum of months, into what could be several years for this team, their coaches and office, and the players there now.

For what?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wish he would address the issue publically.

I worry about Gutes response when asked if Rodgers wanted him fired or he wouldn't play. He stated that Rodgers had not communicated that to me. I wouldn't expect that demand to come directly from Rodgers to Gute but from Roger's agent to Mark Murphy. He should have just said, "no, Rodgers didn't demand that".

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish he would address the issue publically.

I think we've all become adept at reading between the lines with Rodgers, knowing he holds grudges and his passive aggressiveness.

The simplest answer to all this is that he is pissed about Love and wants Gute fired and that is all there is too it. Don't see that happening (nor should it if that is what is going on) so, either post June 1 trade or he retires.

Feel bad for Love. He sure as hell didn't ask for this.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's absolutely no way a player should be involved or be allowed to demand personnel decisions within the front office.

Rogers has always been an overated *** you know what imo. Zero tears seeing him go. Get what you can for him or just let him quit. Don’t let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya... and Shailene?

Don't get me wrong, I don't support Rodgers forcing his way out of Green Bay but there's no doubt the Packers will suffer on the field moving on from him.

Could not imagine any fan not thinking Gute is doing a great job overall. He inherited a team in the middle of the Pack. In his 2nd and 3rd year they are in the NFCCG.

Rodgers is the main reason the Packers have made it to two consecutive NFCCG though.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember when we had this related discussion a few years ago. Can we finally conclude that Arod, however mishandled he allegedly was by the FO (drafting Love was FOOLISH imho), is a prima donna?

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It sends the message that you better do your job and your job is not only to aquire players as the GM but also to manage the ones you have aquired. Gute has obviously been woefully inadequate in that regard.

Yeah he doesn't have to ask any player for permission to draft a guy. However using common sense, he should of informed Rodgers of the possibility especially because how do you think Rodgers felt being on live national tv when it happened...that's just a common courtesy to give your most important player a heads up there...

Also I have caught the side eye of said star qb, and I didn't notice him til afterwards but I could sure feel that side eye haha

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember when we had this related discussion a few years ago. Can we finally conclude that Arod, however mishandled he allegedly was by the FO (drafting Love was FOOLISH imho), is a prima donna?

Of course, I for one, have never stayed anything other than that. He's ultra sensitive, a prima Donna, etc etc

However if we all already knew that since the dude showed up in GB as a scranny 21 year old and told fhof qb Brett Favre "I'm gonna be better than you". How could the FO not have known. But guess what he wasn't lying so...until someone is better than him...