AR's new contract and The Last Dance

Will this be the last dance?

• Total voters

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its time to face it...he is as gone as gone can be...I fully expect to hear only moderate cheering this year. It is VERY difficult for some fans to get behind someone that pulls what he pulled

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its time to face it...he is as gone as gone can be...I fully expect to hear only moderate cheering this year. It is VERY difficult for some fans to get behind someone that pulls what he pulled
Yep. It will be like supporting a manager at a job who told everyone to F off and that they put in a 1 year notice of resignation to work for a competitor. He will be seen as the new Kareem-Abdul-Jabar in Wisconsin

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are $50mil OVER the cap in '22 at the moment. That does not include any $ for Davante Adam's new contract. There is NO mathematical trickery that will enable GB to have AR on the roster in '22. This IS the last dance...gone in '22 will be AR, Adams, P. Smith, Cobb & probably Za'Darius too.
'22 will be a cap-reset year while stocking up draft capital.

Absolutely not true...by signing Rodgers, adams, and z.smith to extensions the Packers could save a lot of cap space in 2022. They could also choose to extend Alexander. 2022 is gonna be another low cap year...but 2023 will see the cap explode because of the new tv/media deal.

It's all about how you structure these contracts that's what makes a good "Russ Ball" I'm confident they could do it if they want to. I'm not sure they want to. I think of they believe in Love they'll trade Rodgers after this season. If they don't have faith in love they'll e tend Rodgers because they can't have him as a 46 million dollar cap hit in 2022 that much is for sure

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what has changed? #12 has returned to all the butt kissers and you better believe that he is digging every second of it. He comes across as the most insincere *** that has walked the planet. Dark clouds on the horizon. I really believe that his sole mission in coming back is to finish what he started. One thing on his mind - DESTROY! It's gonna get ugly. Sounds dramatic? Just how he wants it.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely not true...by signing Rodgers, adams, and z.smith to extensions the Packers could save a lot of cap space in 2022. They could also choose to extend Alexander. 2022 is gonna be another low cap year...but 2023 will see the cap explode because of the new tv/media deal.

It's all about how you structure these contracts that's what makes a good "Russ Ball" I'm confident they could do it if they want to. I'm not sure they want to. I think of they believe in Love they'll trade Rodgers after this season. If they don't have faith in love they'll e tend Rodgers because they can't have him as a 46 million dollar cap hit in 2022 that much is for sure
You were never very proficient at math, were you? Please tell us (and show your work) how it's possible to keep this team intact in '22 by extending AR, Alexander & Z. Smith AND re-sign Adams ALL while REDUCING the salary cap by $50 million without putting the team in cap hell until 2035. This cap explosion won't be happening if our gov't "leaders" continue locking down society and limiting attendance but that isn't the key point here. Extend & re-sign while REDUCING the cap by $50mill.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You were never very proficient at math, were you? Please tell us (and show your work) how it's possible to keep this team intact in '22 by extending AR, Alexander & Z. Smith AND re-sign Adams ALL while REDUCING the salary cap by $50 million without putting the team in cap hell until 2035. This cap explosion won't be happening if our gov't "leaders" continue locking down society and limiting attendance but that isn't the key point here. Extend & re-sign while REDUCING the cap by $50mill.
Currently 10 m under the 2021 cap
Roll over 5 m to 2022
45 m over 2022 cap

Some players would obviously not be back in 2022...

Released:
P. Smith 12.5 m saved
D. Lowry 4 m saved

45 m -16.5 m
28.5 m over 2022 cap

Automatic Restructure:

Kenny Clark 8 m base + 6.95 m well call it 15 m converted to signing bonus and thus spread out cap wise over the 2022,23, and 24 seasons saving 10 m on the 2022 cap

David Bakhtiari 3.2 m base + 10 m roster well say 13 m converted to signing bonus spread out over 3 seasons remaining on his contract saves 8.66 m well call it 8.5 m

28.5 m - 18.5 m
10 m over the 2022 cap

So now you extend/resign whoever of that group Rodgers (46 m), Adams (16.75 m), Z. Smith (28 m), Alexander (13.25 m) you have to to cut their 2022 cap numbers collectively by 15/20 m not at all a tough thing to do with guys that have cap numbers that high...puts you 5 to 10 m below 208 m 2022 cap

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Roll over 5 m to 2022
45 m over 2022 cap

Released:
P. Smith 12.5 m saved
D. Lowry 4 m saved

45 m -16.5 m
28.5 m over 2022 cap

Automatic Restructure:

Kenny Clark 8 m base + 6.95 m well call it 15 m converted to signing bonus and thus spread out cap wise over the 2022,23, and 24 seasons saving 10 m on the 2022 cap

David Bakhtiari 3.2 m base + 10 m roster well say 13 m converted to signing bonus spread out over 3 seasons remaining on his contract saves 8.66 m well call it 8.5 m

28.5 m - 18.5 m
10 m over the 2022 cap

So now you extend/resign whoever of that group Rodgers (46 m), Adams (16.75 m), Z. Smith (28 m), Alexander (13.25 m) you have to to cut their 2022 cap numbers collectively by 15/20 m not at all a tough thing to do with guys that have cap numbers that high...puts you 5 to 10 m below 208 m 2022 cap
Good work with Clark & Bakh, but the last paragraph is the hard part. Adams will be approx. a 4 yr/$100mil deal (or more) with at least $50mil sb. A R would be approx 4 yr/$170mil, guessing Alexander would be around 4 yr/80mil and extending Za'Darius guessing 3 yr/$51mil. While it might be possible to squeeze that into '22 they'd be incredibly damaging cap hits in '23-'25. I don't think Gute would do that to the team & expect to stay on as GM.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Roll over 5 m to 2022
45 m over 2022 cap

Released:
P. Smith 12.5 m saved
D. Lowry 4 m saved

45 m -16.5 m
28.5 m over 2022 cap

Automatic Restructure:

28.5 m - 18.5 m
10 m over the 2022 cap

Redo Davante before the season with a mediocre bonus and large guarantees over a few seasons to save $5m this year. Dump the backups like Funchess, Lowry, Jackson et al that would save $1m+ each for another $4-5m

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Roll over 5 m to 2022
45 m over 2022 cap

Released:
P. Smith 12.5 m saved
D. Lowry 4 m saved

45 m -16.5 m
28.5 m over 2022 cap

Automatic Restructure:

28.5 m - 18.5 m
10 m over the 2022 cap

Regarding Adams, this is his last year. He currently counts nothing against the 2022 cap. Any contract he might sign will only add to the cap next year. Your savings for Clark and Bakhtiari are a bit more than possible because the vet minimum is around 1 million for each thus it's not possible to convert their entire base salary.

Of course Pkrjones changed the rules by adding the part about cap hell which he didn't mention in his first post when he said there was no way it could be done. Like I said in an earlier post, it could be done. Players could be cut. Players could be extended and contracts could be restructured. The problem is it would likely entail cutting some players that you might not want to and committing to some players for a longer period than you may want to. The bottom line is if they wanted to do it they could find a way but it may not be the smartest move.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding Adams, this is his last year. He currently counts nothing against the 2022 cap. Any contract he might sign will only add to the cap next year. Your savings for Clark and Bakhtiari are a bit more than possible because the vet minimum is around 1 million for each thus it's not possible to convert their entire base salary.

Of course Pkrjones changed the rules by adding the part about cap hell

Everybody said all late season/ off season that what I was suggesting...resign bakh and Jones couldn't be done because of the cap. Well what ended up happening?

That'd not true about Adams because if they extend him either prior to or duringbthe 2021 season his 2021 cap number would likely be lowered depending on how russ ball chooses to structure it. That 2021 savings can be rolled over to 2022 resulting in a savings against the 2022 cap. Now if they wait til after the season to get something finished with adams, you'd be correct

Also not true about bakh and Clark because they would still have base salaries of 4.33 m and 5 m respectively in 2022. Automatic restructure is just a conversion to signing bonus for cap purposes only. The team still has the right to pay the money put weekly during the season. It's kind of a weird deal clearly just a kind of salary cap loop hole that benefits the teams

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does the conversion to signing bonus have tax implications for the player? Is that why Zadarius was mad at his agent?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everybody said all late season/ off season that what I was suggesting...resign bakh and Jones couldn't be done because of the cap. Well what ended up happening?

That'd not true about Adams because if they extend him either prior to or duringbthe 2021 season his 2021 cap number would likely be lowered depending on how russ ball chooses to structure it. That 2021 savings can be rolled over to 2022 resulting in a savings against the 2022 cap. Now if they wait til after the season to get something finished with adams, you'd be correct

Also not true about bakh and Clark because they would still have base salaries of 4.33 m and 5 m respectively in 2022. Automatic restructure is just a conversion to signing bonus for cap purposes only. The team still has the right to pay the money put weekly during the season. It's kind of a weird deal clearly just a kind of salary cap loop hole that benefits the teams

When most people say it can't be done I don't think they are speaking literally that there is no way to possibly do it. As we have seen time and again it can be done. I think what they mean is it can't be done without putting extreme, possibly very detrimental pressure on the cap in the future.

True about Adams. I had forgotten about that part.

As far as Clark and Bakh go keep in mind my difference is really pretty insignificant, less than a million dollars for each. I just wanted to make sure accounting was accurate. You listed their base and roster bonus and suggested converting it all to signing bonus and dividing it three ways but they can't convert all the base because of the vet minimum. On Clark for example his base of 8 and bonus of 7 you said convert it all and spread it over 3 years for a hit of 5 which would save 10 which is true. However, they can't convert 15 they can only convert 14 because they have to leave around 1 as his base salary. Split 14 3 ways you get about 4.6 which would make his hit 5.6 rather than 5.

You also said Clark would still have a base of 5 million in 2022. You suggested converting all his base to SB, which they can't do anyway, so how could he still have a base of 5.

Like I said pretty insignificant especially when you were already rounding some of the numbers.

My point however was not necessarily to nitpick your numbers. It was to agree with you that it could be done. Should it be done is another question altogether

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does the conversion to signing bonus have tax implications for the player? Is that why Zadarius was mad at his agent?
Possibly tax implications but investment implications as well. Instead of having a lump sum to invest all at once he'll get it spread out over 18 weeks. In an investment with a good return that could be a nice chunk of change. Its also possible he had plans for that money and was counting on a lump sum deposit. Perhaps he was planning on buying a house with his girlfriend or maybe he was going to throw one hell of a kick *** party and now he will have to skimp on some of the details.

Tarzan2490

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm completely new here. Nice to meet all of you. This may be a stupid question but could they restructure Rodgers and franchise tag Adams?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm completely new here. Nice to meet all of you. This may be a stupid question but could they restructure Rodgers and franchise tag Adams?
Welcome aboard. Do visit the rules section and also the new member say hello area.

Franchise tag for 2022 is always an option. Might get him cheaper that way than an extension would cost. Then you are dealing with a player with an unknown attitude. I think Rodgers is pretty much out of restructure space, except for tons of void years. Not much wiggle room in the last year or two of a contract.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eddie Lacey made a cryptic post today on Instagram implying he wants to return to football. Hmmmmm

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When most people say it can't be done I don't think they are speaking literally that there is no way to possibly do it. As we have seen time and again it can be done. I think what they mean is it can't be done without putting extreme, possibly very detrimental pressure on the cap in the future.

True about Adams. I had forgotten about that part.

As far as Clark and Bakh go keep in mind my difference is really pretty insignificant, less than a million dollars for each. I just wanted to make sure accounting was accurate. You listed their base and roster bonus and suggested converting it all to signing bonus and dividing it three ways but they can't convert all the base because of the vet minimum. On Clark for example his base of 8 and bonus of 7 you said convert it all and spread it over 3 years for a hit of 5 which would save 10 which is true. However, they can't convert 15 they can only convert 14 because they have to leave around 1 as his base salary. Split 14 3 ways you get about 4.6 which would make his hit 5.6 rather than 5.

You also said Clark would still have a base of 5 million in 2022. You suggested converting all his base to SB, which they can't do anyway, so how could he still have a base of 5.

Like I said pretty insignificant especially when you were already rounding some of the numbers.

My point however was not necessarily to nitpick your numbers. It was to agree with you that it could be done. Should it be done is another question altogether

Honestly I'm not exactly sure the rules on automatic restructure with regards to how much base needs to remai
But like you said those amounts are negligible...and now to get to your point

Should it be done?

I obviously think so...my reasoning is because you have the Championship window with your current fhof closing soon one way or another. It only makes sense if they sign Rodgers to an extension

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eddie Lacey made a cryptic post today on Instagram implying he wants to return to football. Hmmmmm
He should have thought about that many years ago. IMO he could have had a terrific NFL career if he had kept his weight in line. He's always going to be a big guy. but there's a big difference between muscle and fat. It just seems he lacked the discipline to keep his body in football shape. Really a shame after we saw what he could do those first two years.

And compare him to a guy like AJ Dillon. Another big back who is mostly muscle (from all appearances). He'll play longer and avoid injuries because of it. It requires a lot of discipline and it seems he's got it. Looking forward to seeing him play more this year.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He should have thought about that many years ago. IMO he could have had a terrific NFL career if he had kept his weight in line. He's always going to be a big guy. but there's a big difference between muscle and fat. It just seems he lacked the discipline to keep his body in football shape. Really a shame after we saw what he could do those first two years.

And compare him to a guy like AJ Dillon. Another big back who is mostly muscle (from all appearances). He'll play longer and avoid injuries because of it. It requires a lot of discipline and it seems he's got it. Looking forward to seeing him play more this year.
Supposedly Eddie was struggling with some severe mental health issues and used food as the coping mechanism. If he has received proper mental health treatment I would be willing to give him a shot for a vet minimum contract.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Supposedly Eddie was struggling with some severe mental health issues and used food as the coping mechanism. If he has received proper mental health treatment I would be willing to give him a shot for a vet minimum contract.
Thanks GO I didn't know the background. Whether he returns to football or not, I hope he's getting the help he needs. I know they make a ton of money, but the life of a pro athlete is not a cakewalk and not for everyone.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks GO I didn't know the background. Whether he returns to football or not, I hope he's getting the help he needs. I know they make a ton of money, but the life of a pro athlete is not a cakewalk and not for everyone.

Now you're going to make me look like an *** with the mental health thing but someone has to say it. Apparently it was a cakewalk for Eddie.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts