Rodgers Vs. Love-- A Packer Fan Poll

Which scenario would you choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Read the thread before voting.

Ok, I am curious to see where Packer fans are at on this controversy if we strip away all of the rumors and unknowns.

So consider the following choices:

1) Rodgers signs an extension with the Packers that financially locks him in through the 2023 season. Jordan Love is traded for pick ~40 in the 2022 draft. No one is fired or reprimanded in the front office; there is merely agreement to give him a heads up regarding moves that will directly affect him on the field.

2) Rodgers is traded for a huge haul (multiple 1st round picks, additional day two picks, players) out of the NFC. A veteran QB is signed. The Jordan Love era begins, and the Packers have massive amounts of resources in 2022 and 2023 to build around him.

So ignoring all the rumors and the perceived diva behavior, forced firings, etc.-- essentially taking emotion out of it-- which of these two scenarios would you opt for if you could hypothetically pick and make it so.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Read the thread before voting.

Ok, I am curious to see where Packer fans are at on this controversy if we strip away all of the rumors and unknowns.

So consider the following choices:

1) Rodgers signs an extension with the Packers that financially locks him in through the 2023 season. Jordan Love is traded for pick ~40 in the 2022 draft. No one is fired or reprimanded in the front office; there is merely agreement to give him a heads up regarding moves that will directly effect him on the field.

2) Rodgers is traded for a huge haul (multiple 1st round picks, additional day two picks, players) out of the NFC. A veteran QB is signed. The Jordan Love era begins, and the Packers have massive amounts of resources in 2022 and 2023 to build around him.

So ignoring all the rumors and the perceived diva behavior, forced firings, etc.-- essentially taking emotion out of it-- which of these two scenarios would you opt for if you could hypothetically pick and make it so.
Two good choices. I’m unsure because I don’t want to choose until Rodgers speaks publicly and I get a better idea of where his teammates stand. That is hugely important in my decision.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From my specific fan perspective, I vote #2 as that option would be more entertaining and exciting to me to watch, which is ultimately what I want to get out of football. If I'm on staff with the Packers and involved with building the team for success, then I'd have voted #1.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
That is one tough question. I don't think there is a wrong answer.

#1 Rodgers gives us the best option for a Super Bowl this year, but in no means is it a guarantee. The Love pick basically cost a 4th, and a different player drafted in the 1st...we get a 2nd back in a trade. However, we are back in the same boat of finding a future replacement for a couple years down the road.

#2 Flip side, a lot of draft capital, possibility "Love is the Answer" for 15 years, and all them draft picks to surround the team with young talent... or he doesn't work out and you use that capital to move up and take the top QB, or a top one in a future draft. I guess it's more a preference thing, but definitely a juicy question. I will vote, but not yet.... not committed to either option yet.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm voting to keep Rodgers in this hypothetical.

The goal is to win Super Bowls. Rodgers proved in 2020 that he can still be elite within the context of this offense. Three more swings at the piñata with him would outweigh for me the potential reward of building around Love with a ton of resources.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I would have been OK with moving AR out to Cleveland when they had the boatload of 1st & 2nd round picks about the time Mahomes came out. Instead they gave him an extension with 2 years left on his contract. I don't think a consistent SB team can be built when one player sucks up 1/8 or more of the salary cap. So far we haven't been back and I haven't been wrong. Rodgers has always chased for an extension whenever the guaranteed money has been paid.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would have been OK with moving AR out to Cleveland when they had the boatload of 1st & 2nd round picks about the time Mahomes came out. Instead they gave him an extension with 2 years left on his contract. I don't think a consistent SB team can be built when one player sucks up 1/8 or more of the salary cap. So far we haven't been back and I haven't been wrong. Rodgers has always chased for an extension whenever the guaranteed money has been paid.

Well you have been wrong in the sense that the Bucs just won the Super Bowl with a QB making approx. 1/8 of the salary cap.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Well you have been wrong in the sense that the Bucs just won the Super Bowl with a QB making approx. 1/8 of the salary cap.
The Bucs were already built when they got their big money QB. The didn't build the team with him already sucking it up. And they aren't consistent yet, just one weird year wonders at this point.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Bucs were already built when they got their big money QB. The didn't build the team with him already sucking it up. And they aren't consistent yet, just one weird year wonders at this point.

What’s the difference? He ate up the same amount of cap space either way.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I voted #2.
- Trading Love (a '20 #1 & #4) for a '22 #2 pick is horrible value, IMHO, and would be a huge "egg on their face" for the GM & scouting staff.
- AR gives a better chance at a deep playoff run for '21 & maybe '22 but unless Love would be a complete bust think by '23 (with a couple of years of NFL playing experience) Love would be a more positive asset. AR continues sucking-up 20%+ of the salary cap so impossible to re-sign studs (Adams, Alexander, ???) to 2nd or 3rd contracts AND have a good/great/deep roster.

I was against bringing Brett back in '08, it was time for he & his cap hit to move along... I think the same is appropriate now. I lived through the dark-days of the '80's surrounded by Bears fans so I know we've been blessed with great QB play for the last 28 years... I still feel it's time to move on with a much better cap situation and young guys to build around with the additional #1's & #2's.

Great thread, @Dantes!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I voted #2.
- Trading Love (a '20 #1 & #4) for a '22 #2 pick is horrible value, IMHO, and would be a huge "egg on their face" for the GM & scouting staff.
- AR gives a better chance at a deep playoff run for '21 & maybe '22 but unless Love would be a complete bust think by '23 (with a couple of years of NFL playing experience) Love would be a more positive asset. AR continues sucking-up 20%+ of the salary cap so impossible to re-sign studs (Adams, Alexander, ???) to 2nd or 3rd contracts and have a good/great/deep roster.

I was against bringing Brett back in '08, it was time for he & his cap hit to move along... I think the same is appropriate now. I lived through the dark-days of the '80's surrounded by Bears fans so I know we've been blessed with great QB play for the last 28 years... I still feel it's time to move on with a much better cap situation and young guys to build around with the additional #1's & #2's.

Great thread, @Dantes!

I definitely get this approach. And if there is more to the story than what we know for certain (e.g. Rodgers wants people in the FO fired, etc) then this is where I'm at too.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd strongly lean trade.... I think there's big issues with Rodgers that we're not hearing about and IMO it's time to move on. Likely the chirping for a trade gets louder this year now that it's kinda blown up this offseason. Rodgers value will never be higher than it is now. Support Love for the next few years to see if he's the future or not, but in the meantime build a VERY strong offense around Love (Adams, Amari, MVS, elite WR prospect via trade, Jones, Dillon - it'd be hard to suck with those options and our oline). I'd assume we'd get an elite prospect on offense, maybe on defense too and a number of early picks. It would make the most sense to trade Rodgers to an AFC team that has little going for it, so those first rounders will be early. Houston or the Jets would be prime for that. If Rodgers wants to be traded, we should be able to dictate who he goes to.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely roll with Love for at least 3 years because the team will be loaded with young 1st-3rd round talent. Plus there should be enough cap to re-sign our veterans and/or get a free agent stud on both sides of the ball.

A lot of scouts were extreeeeemely high on Love and the Packers (obviously) thought he was a future franchise quarterback. Let's do it.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd strongly lean trade.... I think there's big issues with Rodgers that we're not hearing about and IMO it's time to move on. Likely the chirping for a trade gets louder this year now that it's kinda blown up this offseason. Rodgers value will never be higher than it is now. Support Love for the next few years to see if he's the future or not, but in the meantime build a VERY strong offense around Love (Adams, Amari, MVS, elite WR prospect via trade, Jones, Dillon - it'd be hard to suck with those options and our oline). I'd assume we'd get an elite prospect on offense, maybe on defense too and a number of early picks. It would make the most sense to trade Rodgers to an AFC team that has little going for it, so those first rounders will be early. Houston or the Jets would be prime for that. If Rodgers wants to be traded, we should be able to dictate who he goes to.

Just out of curiousity. What happens if Rodgers were to refuse the trade?

Reaction score
We’ve got nothing to lose taking a stab at but again we shouldn’t overpay for an aging QB that is already a discontent. Offer him a full restructure for 4 years 99mil guaranteed. Enables us to spread a smidge $ into 2024 when he’s playing elsewhere. ;) Gives us 3 years to play with his roughly $90-95mil and likely frees about $7-$10mil this season

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a no brainer to retain a MVP QB.

And probability of AR degrading that bad in next 2 years is really low. We still have ample opportunities to draft a replacement QB.

Love was premature and time we accepted a simple fact.

Keep Rodgers. If what it takes is trading Love, then so be it.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a no brainer to retain a MVP QB.

And probability of AR degrading that bad in next 2 years is really low. We still have ample opportunities to draft a replacement QB.

Love was premature and time we accepted a simple fact.

Keep Rodgers. If what it takes is trading Love, then so be it.
On the flipside, it is also a no-brainer to trade an MVP at his peak value especially if it also means freeing up cap space. This is a once in a lifetime chance to get a HAUL for a player (Rodgers) that can result in building a TEAM leading to more than 1 Super Bowl in a 15-year span.

Last edited:

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The tough part is saying buy to the franchise face. So often it makes sense to capitalize on peak seasons and trade them, but they put the butts in the seats, and if the team tanks then the brass gets replaced. I kept saying for YEARS that Minnesota needs to trade AP, never happened. Dallas, this past offseason probably should have traded Zeke... never happened. Watson should have been traded before his legal stuff came out... didn't happen.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the flipside, it is also a no-brainer to trade an MVP at his peak value especially if it also means freeing up cap space. This is a once in a lifetime chance to get a HAUL for a player (Rodgers) that can result in building a TEAM leading to more than 1 Super Bowl in a 15-year span.
We don't free up Cap space though. He costs the same playing or traded this year in terms of cap, or at least close enough that i'm not going to go look up the actual numbers. There is no savings though.

Next season is when there is a cap savings by moving on. Not this year. Though we'd have more cap savings next year by trading him this year by a few million. Not enough to make me want to do it this year. I'd rather see him play for us, than anyone else.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers value will never be higher than it is now. It would make the most sense to trade Rodgers to an AFC team that has little going for it, so those first rounders will be early. Houston or the Jets would be prime for that. If Rodgers wants to be traded, we should be able to dictate who he goes to.

That's not true at all. Rodgers' value would have been highest before the draft. If the Packers decide to trade him now he would immediately improve the team acquiring him resulting in those draft picks ending up being later in each round.

Plus there should be enough cap to re-sign our veterans and/or get a free agent stud on both sides of the ball.

The Packers trading Rodgers actually results in additional cap space until next season.

On the flipside, it is also a no-brainer to trade an MVP at his peak value especially if it also means freeing up cap space.

It's an extremely odd take to suggest that trading an MVP is a no-brainer, especially considering it doesn't free up any cap space until 2022.

Reaction score
I pretty much agree with Andy's take here regarding an Aaron Rodgers trade, at least for the most part, although I don't think his #1 trade option his likely. I also do like the idea of trading with the Raiders to get Derek Carr better than he does, although I would agree that is a temporary solution at QB.

Episode 236 - Top 5 Potential Aaron Rodgers Trades - YouTube

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ideally, we keep AR as the QB for 2 more years and then transition to Love. Rodgers gives us the best chance to win a SB.

But I can't a player dictate the team. Rodgers lack of leadership is a significant detriment to this team. So I would forgo the next season with a temp QB and then hope Love is ready in 2022.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read a couple of articles regarding John Kuhn's conversation with Rodgers.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...n-rodgers-conflicted-future-green-bay-packers

I'm beginning to think that I fell for the media's Big Headlines designed to 'stir the pot'. We still don't know the truth but it sounds more optimistic.

I'm not ready to give up on Rodgers returning. I would rather him return even if Love could handle the pressure of being the starting QB and perform well.

Just my .02

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts