What Should They Do?

Should the Packers fire Gutey and give Rodgers the extension that ties him to the team for the next

• Yes

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 43 81.1%

• Total voters

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow so the poll is a resounding fu2 to Aaron Rodgers...haha I have a feeling that'll change when he lines up as the Packers starting QB in a full stadium come September for your Super Bowl bound Green Bay Packers...

No, it's not a resounding FU to anyone. It's a resounding confidence in the FO. Your question in the poll is a false assumption. It assumes that the Packers would have to fire Gute to extend Rodgers, which isn't true.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
But the vilification of the Packers front office can keep going?
I just hope that Gutekunst, Murphy and LaFleur continue to act in a professional and calm adult manner. We went through this type of thing with Thompson, McCarthy and Favre. From this point on, I hope Rodgers behaves in a mature way, not like Favre. Everyone involved needs to ignore the shrill outside noise and resolve the situation if indeed it is as serious as some believe.

Me? I’m still not sure what exactly is going on. I want Rodgers to make a public statement. We’ve heard from everyone else but him.

Reaction score
This draft further proves my point on MLF's vision (including UDFA's). If everything pans out this will be a SCARY team in 2-3 years even if we don't have a superstar QB

That's good to know. Also, maybe a trade with Denver wouldn't be that bad after all if we did have to make that move. 'Potential' Broncos Trade Offers for Aaron Rodgers Revealed - Sports Illustrated Mile High Huddle: Denver Broncos News, Analysis and More

With that being said, I really do hope we can keep Aaron.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's good to know. Also, maybe a trade with Denver wouldn't be that bad after all if we did have to make that move. 'Potential' Broncos Trade Offers for Aaron Rodgers Revealed - Sports Illustrated Mile High Huddle: Denver Broncos News, Analysis and More

I want to keep Rodgers but if the Packers sense that he isnt coming back this deal looks pretty enticing to me
"WR Courtland Sutton, 2022 first, 2023 first, 2024 first, 2022 second"
Obviously it is complete speculation but 6 first round picks over the next 3 years, a wr to lineup with Adams, and an extra 2nd next year along with cap space.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Wow, those are some juicy offers if true. Smacks of Herschel Walker and John Hadl trades. That would be hard to not seriously contemplate.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this whole thing is absurd. Rodgers has hurt feelings? What a joke imho. He probably just wants more money. Now if Gute did something actually inappropriate; there might be something here. But I am thinking it's just about money. He wants a longer contract which imo will screw over The Pack.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Lions got two 1st round picks, a 3rd round pick, and Jared Goff for Matthew Stafford.

Stafford is 33, coming off a 96/68 season (rating/QBR), and carries cap hits of 20M and 23M in 2021/22.

Rodgers is 37, coming off a 122/84 season (rating/QBR), and carries cap hits of 37M and 40M in 2021/22.

Given that Rodgers is at the same time better AND older, more expensive, I could envision the return in a trade being somewhat comparable to what the Lions got-- two 1st round picks, a 3rd round pick, and a player (likely a QB, since there would be a need for veteran depth). Maybe a bit more, just because Rodgers is Rodgers.

Like, if it happened this offseason, I could see getting the Raiders 1st rounders in 2022 and 2023, plus a 2nd in 2022, and Marcus Mariota.

Or with the Broncos, the same deal, but getting back Bridgewater or Lock at QB.

I don't know about anyone else, but if they came away from this mess with two 1st round picks in the next two drafts, plus a little bit more, and had the chance to really build around Love and give him the best chance to be the guy, I would be pretty content. There's always a chance Love doesn't succeed, but that's true with any QB that takes over in any situation.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

None of these were offers. It some guy guessing at what it might take. How long until we will be reading " we should have taken one of those Broncos offers"

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Von Miller is a FA after this season and $17m+ salary. If they turn his salary into a roster bonus and pay him before the trade is the only way I'd want him.
Sutton is a FA after this year. We'd have to pay both him and DA17.
I could deal with either of the other 2 scenarios though we really don't need an OG after the last draft. He'd definitely be an upgrade to a draftee for this season. And we'd need another QB in the QB room or Love will get lonely.

This is the best scenario this season.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't jettison the front office to appease a single player. Period.

How do you know the other players aren't largely on Rodgers side?

and just so you know I didn't vote yes on this poll...

I think this is more about the GM's lack of respect for the players. He's demonstrates repeatedly that either he is unaware he's doing it or he just doesn't care.

Now it's sounding to me like MLF may not be a big fan of the GM either. We know Jordy Nelson isn't...

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not going to take sides in the dispute because I don't know all of the facts, what is going on, or who is to blame. With that being said, to answer the question, no, I don't think firing the GM is a reasonable demand by a player.

All I know is that this situation had better get resolved.

Well I thought you summers it up perfectly...and while I agree that is an unreasonable demand.

Hypothetically, What if it's true and gutey told Rodgers he would trade him after the season then Rodgers played MVP style and gutey went back on his word and told Rodgers he wasn't gonna trade him now. Then Rodgers said ok extend me so I'm guranteed 2 more seasons in green bay. To which gutey replied I'm willing to do a simple restructure and I can do that without your signature. Rodgers said if you do that I'll never play for the Packers again...would it then, be a reasonable request ?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I thought you summers it up perfectly...and while I agree that is an unreasonable demand.

Hypothetically, What if it's true and gutey told Rodgers he would trade him after the season then Rodgers played MVP style and gutey went back on his word and told Rodgers he wasn't gonna trade him now. Then Rodgers said ok extend me so I'm guranteed 2 more seasons in green bay. To which gutey replied I'm willing to do a simple restructure and I can do that without your signature. Rodgers said if you do that I'll never play for the Packers again...would it then, be a reasonable request ?

That is a good theory. I think I floated that out and thats why they drafted love

Reaction score

I would certainly say that Rodgers is right to not want to continue playing for the Packers in that scenario and request a trade, or even force one to happen. I also think it would be hard for Gutey to survive that if the truth came out.

I also think that Rodgers should have been consulted first when they decided to draft Love, at the very least he should have been told they were going to draft him before it happened, and I am not even sure if I disagreed with the Love pick like many did. With that being said, if this whole thing is solely about drafting Love, then that is very petty on Rodger's part.

If this is about Rodgers wanting more money/a better deal, then I am actually not going to begrudge either side, because we don't have the money to pay him more without gutting the team/or not being able to keep the team together, and I also think Rodgers deserves to be paid more. However, I would say that we should trade him in that scenario, I would rather try to keep the team together and improve the team than keep Rodgers at his age if I had to choose between the two options.

With regards to your question, I don't like the idea of a player forcing out the GM, and I wouldn't want to set that precedent.

Reaction score
Von Miller is a FA after this season and $17m+ salary. If they turn his salary into a roster bonus and pay him before the trade is the only way I'd want him.
I could deal with either of the other 2 scenarios though we really don't need an OG after the last draft. He'd definitely be an upgrade to a draftee for this season. And we'd need another QB in the QB room or Love will get lonely.

This is the best scenario this season.

I do think that getting Lock would be the best option if we are forced to make a trade, although it would be nice to get a good receiver as well.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is a good theory. I think I floated that out and thats why they drafted love

I heard that from one of the major media types...and I was thinking this happened after they drafted Love and it was to get Rodgers to agree to play last season in green bay...

But you're correct it could of been before they drafted Love. However if that's true then why would Rodgers have been so upset with the pick. I mean you could tell on live tv he was shocked and then angry

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol...he's hilarious. dude has no leverage what so ever and he's doing all he can to gain some in public opinion. he's losing there too. some poll over the weekend showed it 60/40 in the Packers favor and as each comment comes out i assume the gap is only getting bigger. all Gute has done is to try to make the Packers a SB winner since he took over. got him a new coach, pushed money back to gain cap space to acquire talent, and resign our own, to the point of a cap disaster if not handled properly. i'm totally fine with him gone as you guys know lol. been asking for it for two or more years. hopefully they come around to the idea of trading him and stop begging him to come back. the devil is in the details. i think we'll be just fine after the media fire storm dies. we'll be good to go cap wise which was the major bug a boo for the future. GO PACK!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

why on earth would they have traded him after last season? Even if he had blown out a shoulder or a knee last year and didn't even play I doubt they would be considering moving on from him before this season was over. and if that spurned Rodgers to play a great season, as if he's holding up some end of the bargain by playing his best for a team that just paid him 100 million dollars it still doesn't make Gute look like the bad guy. the cap implications have never pointed to him leaving after last year as being in the works at any point before or after love.

Rodgers is not powerless in his effort to stay in GB, it's not like he is as good as gone if he doesn't get more up front money. For as much as people think drafting love was a mistake, maybe the mistake was giving Rodgers and extension after the injured season in the first place. He could have played out his last contract and then put together some stronger seasons and made his demands. Instead he took the guarantee then. I'm not feeling sorry for him.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
This is the first point in a long time that Rodgers' does not have some type of sizable bonus to play for. (relative to his salary) Like any minimum wage schlep, now he gets his weekly paycheck until he gets a new contract or employer. Realize he has signed contracts to put almost 1/4 $billion in his (and his agent's) pocket.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...OR, we'd only pay one of them and take a comp pick for the other. Adams turns 29 at the end of the '21 season and will command a huge contract (guessing 4 yr./$100Mil range??). Sutton will be 26 and is coming off of a blown ACL in '20... and probably due a huge contract if/when he plays well in '21. I could see GB keeping one but not both heading into '22.

That scenario, IMHO, would be better than Lock/Bridgewater or an OG.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely not. Even if Gute promised to trade him and then reneged.

Rodgers should be the one shown the door. The only thing that worries me about that though is how it might affect our ability to extend Adams. I really doubt it would matter but I could see a situation where it might.

I 100% think this could have major affects on Adams decision to extend. How could it not? I know many are ready to cut ties with Rodgers but IMO losing both would cripple us which further complicates matters.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I 100% think this could have major affects on Adams decision to extend. How could it not? I know many are ready to cut ties with Rodgers but IMO losing both would cripple us which further complicates matters.

It all depends on the truth. If it comes out that Gute did renege on promises it certainly could have a ripple affect on other players. If it comes out that its more Rodgers just being difficult I don't think it will matter to other players even if we move on from him. Even if they are friends players will see the business side of it and in the case of Adams I think Green Bay will offer him more than any other team would just to keep him from getting to FA.

Members online

Latest posts