AR's new contract and The Last Dance

Will this be the last dance?

• Total voters

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what the media is calling this season for us. So, is this the last season where we have both Rodgers and Adams?

I'm thinking not. GB has made a lot of leeway to get Rodgers back and I don't think we will let him leave that quick. I know the contract is being (or will be) changed to offer him the flexibility, but considering all the measures we've taken to keep him...it all can't just be for one season imo. He will sign another restructured contract after this.

(means another diva offseason forthcoming), but hey, that's life of Packer Football!

Among the concessions in the new contract:

• The 2023 year in his original contract is voided, making 2022 the final year on his contract.

• Forfeiture provisions were removed from the contract, preventing the Packers from pursuing prorated portions of Rodgers' signing bonus.

That means Rodgers would not lose any of the signing bonus or roster bonus money he received this year (totaling more than $14 million), and after the 2021 season, the remaining $5.7 million in proration from his 2019 signing bonus also is no longer forfeitable.

No other financial changes were believed to have been made to the deal.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it depends, if we win the superbowl then I doubt the band gets split up. Things get really interesting in terms of cap management, but I doubt we send out either if we come away with the lombardi this year.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it depends, if we win the superbowl then I doubt the band gets split up. Things get really interesting in terms of cap management, but I doubt we send out either if we come away with the lombardi this year.

No doubt that would be the case if that happened. What's been tough is our story is usually making the playoffs and getting either to the divisional or nfc championship round but not going beyond. If it's that same old story ... All bets are off I guess.

I would guess based on how Rodgers has addressed the walking of former teammates though that he'd demand an Adams extension to stay.

I think the other thing to keep an eye on is how Jordan Love performs in preseason and in any potential action he might get during the season. If he shows promise, the questions around Rodgers's future could certainly stay at the forefront. If he still looks like a long way to go or appears headed to bust territory, you definitely gotta think the guys upstairs will be looking to hold onto Rodgers for at least 3 or 4 more years.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt that would be the case if that happened. What's been tough is our story is usually making the playoffs and getting either to the divisional or nfc championship round but not going beyond. If it's that same old story ... All bets are off I guess.

I would guess based on how Rodgers has addressed the walking of former teammates though that he'd demand an Adams extension to stay.

I think the other thing to keep an eye on is how Jordan Love performs in preseason and in any potential action he might get during the season. If he shows promise, the questions around Rodgers's future could certainly stay at the forefront. If he still looks like a long way to go or appears headed to bust territory, you definitely gotta think the guys upstairs will be looking to hold onto Rodgers for at least 3 or 4 more years.
Absolutely right The front office wants to see what kind of potential love has in preseason I expect him to play most of all the games benkert will get some but this is gonna be 90% love in the games I also would say they would decide if Rodgers gets hurt loves comes in and wins some game’s they will base there decision on that the front office is trying to keep control of that. I’m excited what love can do but I would gladly keep Rodgers over ever seeing him play and going alllllll in for the next few years if possible. If Rodgers gets to the nfc championship and loses again then they can move on cuz obviously he chokes in big games lol

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are $50mil OVER the cap in '22 at the moment. That does not include any $ for Davante Adam's new contract. There is NO mathematical trickery that will enable GB to have AR on the roster in '22. This IS the last dance...gone in '22 will be AR, Adams, P. Smith, Cobb & probably Za'Darius too.
'22 will be a cap-reset year while stocking up draft capital.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers are $50mil OVER the cap in '22 at the moment. That does not include any $ for Davante Adam's new contract. There is NO mathematical trickery that will enable GB to have AR on the roster in '22. This IS the last dance...gone in '22 will be AR, Adams, P. Smith, & probably Za'Darius too.
Re do the deal.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no way it can work unless Rodgers and Adams take a massive "hometown" discount. It won't happen
Extend Rodgers..it can happen

Cobb and preston gone..adams gone...

Keep adams then rodgers gone

Not saying its right or wrong..just pointing out it can happen

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cap question for you. The Packers redid some contracts and added void years beyond 2021. We know those numbers will ultimately be added to the 2022 cap but are they counted right now in the amount of money the Packers have committed to 2022. Kevin King for example. He is showing a cap hit of 3 million in 2022 and 750K in 23,24,25 but since we all know those 22,23,24,25 years will be voided does the 3 million in 22 already include the 750K from 23,24,25.

In other words, Pkrjones says we are 50 million over the cap in 2022 already. Does that include the numbers from the void years beyond 2022 since that is when they will ultimately be counted or will they still need to be added to the 22 cap numbers when those years officially become void meaning we will actually be even more over the cap.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no way it can work unless Rodgers and Adams take a massive "hometown" discount. It won't happen
I wouldn't say there is no way it can work. There are ways to make it work but it would take some massive restructures and extensions and cuts that might be counterproductive. It would mean some tough cuts and losing some pretty important pieces or possibly making longer commitments to some players that no it may not be wise to do.

One thing that pops into my mind is if they want to keep Rodgers what will that mean for Cobb. If Cobb is here because Rodgers wanted him here then how does letting him go play into Rodgers potentially staying.

If I had to put money on it right now I'd say Rodgers is gone and Adams is re-signed.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
The Packers are $50mil OVER the cap in '22 at the moment. That does not include any $ for Davante Adam's new contract. There is NO mathematical trickery that will enable GB to have AR on the roster in '22. This IS the last dance...gone in '22 will be AR, Adams, P. Smith, Cobb & probably Za'Darius too.
Yes, follow the money. I agree with all of this, but they will figure out a deal with Adams. Cutting all the other players you mentioned puts the Packers under the cap. They also believe the cap will be stored and go back up. This means there will be available funds to work with Adams. I think he comes back.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
It's my understanding the "cap" can't increase or decrease more than 25% from the prior year.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cap question for you. The Packers redid some contracts and added void years beyond 2021. We know those numbers will ultimately be added to the 2022 cap but are they counted right now in the amount of money the Packers have committed to 2022. Kevin King for example. He is showing a cap hit of 3 million in 2022 and 750K in 23,24,25 but since we all know those 22,23,24,25 years will be voided does the 3 million in 22 already include the 750K from 23,24,25.

In other words, Pkrjones says we are 50 million over the cap in 2022 already. Does that include the numbers from the void years beyond 2022 since that is when they will ultimately be counted or will they still need to be added to the 22 cap numbers when those years officially become void meaning we will actually be even more over the cap.
Overthecap shows, for example, King's contract hit in '22 as $3Mil with $0 salary. IF he's not extended the $3Mil counts towards '22 unless the Packers make him a post-6/01 cut which assigns $750k to '22 and the rest towards '23. Similarly with Tonyan, if not extended would count $1.879Mil in '22 or if post-6/01 $469k in '22, $1.409Mil in '23.

I don't believe Gute will slowly peel the band-aid off regarding the cap by extending AR but losing 4-10 key players. I think '22 is the rip-the-bandaid-off year.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has become a cancer to the organization. Let him play this seasin and then trade him.
Get what you can for him and move on. The money Adams will want is insane also. Not how title teams are built. Show me the SBC who had the highest paid WR in the game

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I
Overthecap shows, for example, King's contract hit in '22 as $3Mil with $0 salary. IF he's not extended the $3Mil counts towards '22 unless the Packers make him a post-6/01 cut which assigns $750k to '22 and the rest towards '23. Similarly with Tonyan, if not extended would count $1.879Mil in '22 or if post-6/01 $469k in '22, $1.409Mil in '23.

I don't believe Gute will slowly peel the band-aid off regarding the cap by extending AR but losing 4-10 key players. I think '22 is the rip-the-bandaid-off year.
I don't think the void years are eligible for a post June 1st cut. Those years are voided on the first day of the new NFL year so the players are automatically free agents on the first day of the new NFL year in 2022 and all the money counts in 2022.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Void years are, to the best of my understanding, just a trick to spread out cap hits.

Consider a simple example--you want to sign an older vet, lets pretend his name is Candle Robb. The magic number for his contract is 5.5 million for one year.

You do not have 5.5M in cap space to sign Mr. Robb. You can probably afford 3-3.2M. Somewhere in there.

What you do instead is give him a 2 year contract, with base salary for 500k and a 5M signing bonus and make the second year void. This allows you to spread the signing bonus over this year and next year.

Year 1 cap hit: 500k salary, 2.5M signing bonus.
Year 2 cap hit: 0 salary, 2.5M signing bonus.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ca
Void years are, to the best of my understanding, just a trick to spread out cap hits.

Consider a simple example--you want to sign an older vet, lets pretend his name is Candle Robb. The magic number for his contract is 5.5 million for one year.

You do not have 5.5M in cap space to sign Mr. Robb. You can probably afford 3-3.2M. Somewhere in there.

What you do instead is give him a 2 year contract, with base salary for 500k and a 5M signing bonus and make the second year void. This allows you to spread the signing bonus over this year and next year.

Year 1 cap hit: 500k salary, 2.5M signing bonus.
Year 2 cap hit: 0 salary, 2.5M signing bonus.
Candle Robb...sounds vaguely familiar. Didn't he play center field for the Yankees in 1964

D

Deleted member 6794

It's possible for the Packers to keep both Rodgers and Adams beyond the 2021 season. There's no doubt that team would have to move on from some other players as well as push out some other cap hits into future seasons to make it work.

The NFL allows to backload contracts to lower the cap hit early during a deal.

Taking a look at the numbers from Over The Cap they have already included the total amount for the contracts that automatically void after this season.

One thing that pops into my mind is if they want to keep Rodgers what will that mean for Cobb. If Cobb is here because Rodgers wanted him here then how does letting him go play into Rodgers potentially staying.

I don't think there's any chance the Packers keep Cobb while paying him a base salary of $7.875 million with him counting $9.6 million towards the cap in 2022.

It's my understanding the "cap" can't increase or decrease more than 25% from the prior year.

I don't think there's a rule preventing the cap to increase by more than 25%. There won't be enough revenue generated for it to happen though.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a 25 percent rule for individual players

25 percent increase rule: Unless a player's base salary is set at the minimum every year, no team can sign a player to a contract that would give him a raise of more than 25 percent annually. So, the second year of the contract can't provide a salary more than 25 percent of the first year, and after that, each subsequent year can't offer an increase of more than 25 percent of his previous year's salary.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
There is a 25 percent rule for individual players

25 percent increase rule: Unless a player's base salary is set at the minimum every year, no team can sign a player to a contract that would give him a raise of more than 25 percent annually. So, the second year of the contract can't provide a salary more than 25 percent of the first year, and after that, each subsequent year can't offer an increase of more than 25 percent of his previous year's salary.
Is that how it works? Thanks. Truly, I thought it was the "cap" a whole. Times like this is when we need our "informative" icon back - you know...the one that looked a bomb?

Members online

Latest posts