Week 7: Oakland at Green Bay

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Take away Adams and this is one of, currently as is, the worst receiving cores i have seen. full of nothing but j.a.g.s. (just another guy)

Agree and surprise! It's the same group the Packers started the season with. I find it interesting that it took the loss of Adams for some people to finally see just how weak this group has been since Sept. 1.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the lack of WR's healthy, available and/or able to run a route AND catch a pass this is the IDEAL game for MLF to roll with multiple-TE sets. I'd love to see Lewis & Tonyan in on 80%+ snaps giving GB the option of run or pass. Mix in Vitale AND Jones/Williams, also giving the option of run or pass.

Go with 1 or 2 WR (on occasion) to force them to change personnel but it's time to use those TE's as both blockers and receivers. Hopefully Graham gets in on 20% of the snaps in passing situations, only.

Tonyan is hurt too.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Tonyan is hurt too.

That doesn't seem to matter when people want to discuss how "terrible Jimmy Graham is". ;)

I get people being upset with Jimmy and agree that he is totally overpaid, but given the status of our WR's and the health of the TE corp, he and Lewis are about all we have. Expecting too much out of Jace Sternberger when he is finally healthy enough to play, is a dangerous mindset IMO. Kind of think the same of Tonyan.

Graham made 2 key and not that easy of catches in Monday nights game. I guess I will take what we can get from him for now and ever since I lowered my expectations of him, I have actually been thrilled every time he makes a catch. :D

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That doesn't seem to matter when people want to discuss how "terrible Jimmy Graham is". ;)

I get people being upset with Jimmy and agree that he is totally overpaid, but given the status of our WR's and the health of the TE corp, he and Lewis are about all we have. Expecting too much out of Jace Sternberger when he is finally healthy enough to play, is a dangerous mindset IMO. Kind of think the same of Tonyan.

Graham made 2 key and not that easy of catches in Monday nights game. I guess I will take what we can get from him for now and ever since I lowered my expectations of him, I have actually been thrilled every time he makes a catch. :D

Yeah, Graham sucks, but unfortunately, he's what we got.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, perfect week here would be us getting to 6-1 and Minny continuing to suck on the road.

For this week only, I gotta pull for the Lions to win. Bad news is the Lions run defense got exposed by us, so ... Guess we'll have to see if Matt P sells out to stop D Cook.

On our game, hmmm, will Carr have to throw to that bum Trevor Davis?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree and surprise! It's the same group the Packers started the season with. I find it interesting that it took the loss of Adams for some people to finally see just how weak this group has been since Sept. 1.

Well, one of the good things about this is we've been willing to shift more of the offense's weight on Jones and Williams. Something that we never really seemed to be able to do under McCarthy, or at least not consistently. And the fact that we're finding a few hidden gems or unknown commodities like Lazard is another plus.

Rodgers and LaFleur definitely need to be paraded for making it happen without their number one.

I'm thinking probably this next draft, if a banged up receiving corps and lack of sufficient TE play proves to be our shortcoming towards getting to the Superbowl, Gute will finally appease the fan base that's been yelling at him to draft offense/WRs.

Reaction score
I'm thinking probably this next draft, if a banged up receiving corps and lack of sufficient TE play proves to be our shortcoming towards getting to the Superbowl, Gute will finally appease the fan base that's been yelling at him to draft offense/WRs.
I think this was the plan all along. I don’t think Gutey is tuned in to us like we seem to be with him. I think we have smart coaches and a FO that can see what’s in front of them. We’re still expecting them to behave like the old staff.. but those guys are all but gone.
I also think we’re more prone to having discussions about positional needs across the staff boundaries. It’s pretty obvious where the weakness is, so they can’t be immune to it.

The only question now is, will Gutey follow in his Predecessors footsteps and react to it?
Or will he respond? if so, how soon?
yet t.b.d

Last edited:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this was the plan all along. I don’t think Gutey is tuned in to us like we seem to be with him. I think we have smart coaches and a FO that can see what’s in front of them. We’re still expecting them to behave like the old staff.. but those guys are all but gone.
I also think we’re more prone to having discussions about positional needs across the staff boundaries. It’s pretty obvious where the weakness is, so they can’t be immune to it.

The only question now is, will Gutey follow in his Predecessors footsteps and react to it?
Or will he respond? if so, how soon?
yet t.b.d

Well I mean, in a bit of a facetious way, his drafting offense even without intending to appease the fans would indeed do that.

I think the reason people were up in arms about it was because of how bad it looked at times in McCarthy's last year here. Now, the problems may not have been all his, but the way Rodgers has been a little more willing to take the shorter passes vs gunning it deep the way he was doing last year certainly indicates something was going wrong with the way MM was running things. I may have let him off the hook a little too much.

Also, I've noticed the OL looks quite a bit better, or at least to me they look better without Lane Taylor out there. Man oh man I'd have to say he was the worst guard I have ever seen in Packer history. I think that factor has also been manifested.

H

HardRightEdge

With Vontaze "Luca Brasi" Burfict suspended and Marquel Lee on IR, the Raiders do not have an MLB for their 4-3 who has ever taken an NFL defensive snap.

They evidently had so little confidence in the zero-snap rookies Justin Phillips (UDFA, cut by Cowboys, PS promotion) and Dakota Allen (7th. round, signed off the Rams PS, not really a MLB) against the Bears, they went all-nickel except for a couple of dimes. Whitehead took 100% of the defensive snaps (58), Morrow 97% (56), with no other LBs taking a snap.

With two weeks off, it looks like they have Phillips teed up to play.

https://www.espn.com/blog/oakland-r...who-steps-up-at-middle-linebacker-for-raiders

Phillips promotion from the PS led to Ryan Grant's release.

Now, the Bears didn't have much success running against that all-nickel, with their RBs going 16 carries for 40 yards with a long run of 6 yds. We might prefer base with Phillips.

As a side note, while some folks look forward to playing the Chiefs without Mahomes, I'm a little disappointed. I'd like to see what this defense could do against him. Conversely, I'm pleased as punch Burfict is suspended for the year. The over/under on Packer concussions drops from 2 to 1. I'm pretty selective in my use of the word "hate", but I can fairly say it applies to Burfict. The play that got him suspended is linked below. It wasn't for this hit alone. It's because it is the umpteenth time he's gone headheading over nearly a decade. It is my sincere wish he never sees a football field again.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited by a moderator:

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I wish I could muster the positivity on a week-to-week basis that some of you guys do...predicting double digit wins without the use of a winking emoticon. ;)

In leveling with all of you, I'm a skeptic (no....really) in real life. CAN NOT HELP MYSELF! That's right, a dyed-in-the-wool poopie pants, I am. I'm happy as a pig in s**t with 5-1. Would piddle my pants (I'm getting to that age where that may or not be "optional" anyway) if and when the Pack go 6-1 (here it comes), but ... we haven't witnessed functional execution for an entire half of one game on either side of the ball.

The Pack have won a lot of games on turnover differential and the other guys making critical mistakes at inopportune moments - blah blah blah - at one point or another, this team needs to impose it's will on the other guys. I'm waiting to see that before I work myself into a frenzy over this wonderful start which I'm using to maximize my irritation level with my friends who are Bears and Vikings fans. :)

Thing is, I was the same way in 2010. It took me until March 2011 before I could take a breather from believing that the Pack's defense from the first 3/4 of the season wouldn't revisit us in the Super Bowl. That's right .. uh huh, uh huh .. when the gun went off, I was locked in relieved amazement while the rest of my house erupted.

...anyway, the Pack better not be reading their own press clippings because as much of a clown as Gruden is, he DID manage to win a Super Bowl (with someone else's roster, but still). If you think that Mike Holmgren's former chauffeur, who chugged around Green Bay on a bicycle in the dead of winter wouldn't love to stuff the Pack ... well never mind.

This is going to be one of those games ... irritating as a bad laxative to watch. Just because it's Chuckie on the other sideline. I'm hoping that stupid smirk of his gets slapped on to the side of the blue tent, but, the Packers defense might just make him look relevant.

Packers by 1 and even that is a prediction made by a homer.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I mean, in a bit of a facetious way, his drafting offense even without intending to appease the fans would indeed do that.

I think the reason people were up in arms about it was because of how bad it looked at times in McCarthy's last year here. Now, the problems may not have been all his, but the way Rodgers has been a little more willing to take the shorter passes vs gunning it deep the way he was doing last year certainly indicates something was going wrong with the way MM was running things. I may have let him off the hook a little too much.

Also, I've noticed the OL looks quite a bit better, or at least to me they look better without Lane Taylor out there. Man oh man I'd have to say he was the worst guard I have ever seen in Packer history. I think that factor has also been manifested.
You haven’t seen much Packer history then. Our guards around 2005-2006 were worse than Taylor.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Geronimo Allison and MVS are IN. No Tonyan, Grant, Savage (among a few others). The raiders will be without Trent Brown, Tyrell Williams, Zay Jones and Arden Key.

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still not convinced by the secondary yet. Over the moon with the improved pass rush, but still giving up too many 10-15 yard passing plays

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense really doesn't look anything like it looked the first few weeks lately. Giving up a ton of big "chunk" plays, getting bailed out by penalties, and still not getting off the field when they get into 1st and 20 situations.

This unit needs to play better as neither the pass defense nor rush defense looks like a particular strength right now.

bsman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If anybody needs a textbook definition of irony, the last two minutes of the first half nails it... ;)

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Blake Martinez is the epitome of an average LB. He is not good.

Members online

Latest posts