Week 1 : Jacksonville Jaguars

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers open the season in less than a week against an unfamiliar opponent on the road. Current forecast shows temperatures in the high 80's with a 50% chance of thunderstorms (no surprise). I haven't seen any lines, but I would think the Packers are favored to win. That being said, opening weekend can be the hardest games to handicap due to roster turnovers and returning players improvement or regression.
The Jaguars are picked by many (including myself) to be one of the surprise teams of the 2016 season, but after watching their starters play in the 3rd preseason game I came away less than convinced they are ready to compete with the elite teams in the league. Their play was undisciplined and while they have talent on both sides of the ball, they didn't play with a lot of cohesion.
My biggest questions, though, are what can we expect from this Packer team many expect to challenge for the Super Bowl? I do not recall a season where the expected starters played so little in the preseason. While reports out of training camp indicated Rodgers was as sharp as ever, there are still questions that won't be answered until they go live.

Some things I'll be looking for:

Is Jordy 100% and ready to pick up where he left off, or does he get eased back into the lineup gradually?
Do we see the same Lacy that we saw in the preseason? And in a related matter...
Does the offensive line play with the same cohesion we saw in the preseason after they make whatever changes they make post Sitton?
What can we expect out of the defensive front 7 with Pennel's suspension and the youth and lack of depth at the ILB position?
Is Burnett ready to play? I don't think he played at all in the preseason and I'm not even sure what his current status is. Hopefully he's ready to go because we're going to need his veteran leadership in the backend, as well as his help in the box.

Like most Packer fans, I have very high hopes for the team this year. A healthy team (so far) and a favorable schedule give us reason to be optimistic. It's a long season and I would certainly like to get it started with a 'W' this Sunday. Either way, I'm definitely ready for some football!

D

Deleted member 6794

Is Jordy 100% and ready to pick up where he left off, or does he get eased back into the lineup gradually?

With the Packers generally being conservative with players returning from injury and Nelson not having played during the preseason at all I expect the team to ease him back into the lineup and have him at a snap count in week 1.

OP
OP
Royal Pain

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Packers generally being conservative with players returning from injury and Nelson not having played during the preseason at all I expect the team to ease him back into the lineup and have him at a snap count in week 1.

I think so too. I think by week 4 he'll be good to go to play entire games.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about the battle of bama backs. If we want to win week 1 Lacy needs to carry the load. He should get 15+ carries. Lane Taylor is a run blocking guard so he should help in that area, but his passblocking is questionable to say the least. The RB that worries me for Jacksonville is TJ Yeldon! If Clark doesn't plug the middle or if Martinez doesnt make right reads and wrap up Yeldon could have a big day.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last edited:

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It appears that the Pack is 2-1 against Jacksonville in Jacksonville.
It seems to me that the Pack has historically (I have no stats) had trouble in the state of Florida.
Looks like people are picking it to be close, makes me nervous!

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All eyes on Randall week 1. He probably will be matched up on Allen Robinson a very very good receiver. He struggled in preseason getting beat deep by both Pryor and Patton. Can't let that happen vs Robinson. All in all I believe he will do fine my worries are when the jags go 4wr formation and our Saftey has to cover 1 of their smaller receivers Lee and Green, especially Lee. Going to be a good game man

H

HardRightEdge

All eyes on Randall week 1. He probably will be matched up Allen Robinson a very very good receiver. He struggled in preseason getting beat deep by both Pryor and Patton. Can't let that happen vs Robinson. All in all I believe he will do fine my worries are when the jags go 4wr formation and our Saftey has to cover 1 of their smaller receivers Lee and Green, especially Lee. Going to be a good game man
Is there a reason why Shields would not be matched up against Robinson? He's the #1 threat, the faster of the two wide outs by a few ticks, has the superior vertical jump, and there's only about 1" height difference between those 2 wide outs.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there a reason why Shields would not be matched up against Robinson? He's the #1 threat, the faster of the two wide outs by a few ticks, has the superior vertical jump, and there's only about 1" height difference between those 2 wide outs.
All true, but Robinson is a big body possesion receiver and Randall would match up better being 10+lbs heavier and like you said only a tick slower than Shields. I think Shields would cover Hurns better being faster as Hurns is a much more shifty change pace receiver. These are just my opinions as a fan. The coaches will make the best decision.

H

HardRightEdge

I think that's reasonable. I'm still not convinced we'll see him for more than some token snaps in week 1; maybe not at all.

H

HardRightEdge

All true, but Robinson is a big body possesion receiver and Randall would match up better being 10+lbs heavier and like you said only a tick slower than Shields. I think Shields would cover Hurns better being faster as Hurns is a much more shifty change pace receiver. These are just my opinions as a fan. The coaches will make the best decision.
Actually, I was referring to Robinson being a few ticks faster than Hurns. Shields is paid $10 million per year to use his recovery speed, leaping ability and ball skills to take on the opponent's #1 in single coverage and keep him out of the end zone even if he does give up the short inside more than one would like. It will be interesting to see how they play it, particularly if Shields plays press against Robinson.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Cook, Jordy and Lacy are the difference makers on O for us. Lacy getting ground yards, Cook moving the chains on medium range 3rd downs and Jordy just being there will ease the pressure in the box and on the other receivers.

On D its going to be a tough call. Can Clay be the beast again? Can Martinez and Thomas close up the middle and can the guys in back keep them short?

Man do we have weapons on O this year! Can the D close the deal? Sans injury, this could be one potent team on both sides of the ball when they have played together for half a season and they get all the missing pieces back.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll be interested to see how well Myles Jack plays. Many fans were excited when the Packers had a chance to draft him but Thompson went with Clark instead. This isn't meant to be a "see if he should have taken him" post, one game will not tell the story of either players' careers but it will still be fun to watch Jack. I'm also curious to see how well the Packer's beat up d-line and unproven ILBs fare against two power backs; Jaguars passing game has enough weapons that the Packers probably don't want to have to commit a safety to help against the run too much but it might be asking too much of Guion to play a bunch of snaps at NT with no true backup to give him a breather (Clark will probably play that role but he's coming off a back injury so it's still to be seen how effective he'll be in his first game).

On defense, the Jaguars should be much improved e with the aforementioned Jack, Fowler Jr. coming back from injury, Malik Jackson at DT, Amukamara (not worth a first round draft pick but an excellent third corner) and Jalen Ramsey. It will be nice to see how the Packer's offense rebounds from a terrible 2015 against a team that, on paper, should match up fairly well considering the Jags will now be able to line up one of the better pass-rushing DTs in Jackson against two new starters for the Packer's interior oline. With House, Ramsey and Amukamara the Jags also have three corners that should present a decent test for the Packer's passing game (not to mention that Myles was probably the best pass-defense linebacker in the country before he got hurt).

I fully expect the Packers to win but I only if the offense can prove that last year was an anomaly; that Rodgers can return to playing like the best QB in the NFL, that Nelson can be the guy he was in 2014, that Cobb can put his worst season behind him, that Lacy is no longer trying out for backup guard, that two new starters on the interior oline can keep a clean pocket and that some receiver can step up into the third slot. Lots of questions and i can hardly wait to see some of the answers.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have been slow starters ( Minus last year) in the past. I could see them losing a close one or Winning a close one. Either way, it'll be hot and the Jags are no joke.

Now, l won't get too high if they win, nor too low if they lose. It's week one and I'm confident they will win the division regardless.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll be interested to see how well Myles Jack plays. Many fans were excited when the Packers had a chance to draft him but Thompson went with Clark instead. This isn't meant to be a "see if he should have taken him" post, one game will not tell the story of either players' careers but it will still be fun to watch Jack. I'm also curious to see how well the Packer's beat up d-line and unproven ILBs fare against two power backs; Jaguars passing game has enough weapons that the Packers probably don't want to have to commit a safety to help against the run too much but it might be asking too much of Guion to play a bunch of snaps at NT with no true backup to give him a breather (Clark will probably play that role but he's coming off a back injury so it's still to be seen how effective he'll be in his first game).

On defense, the Jaguars should be much improved e with the aforementioned Jack, Fowler Jr. coming back from injury, Malik Jackson at DT, Amukamara (not worth a first round draft pick but an excellent third corner) and Jalen Ramsey. It will be nice to see how the Packer's offense rebounds from a terrible 2015 against a team that, on paper, should match up fairly well considering the Jags will now be able to line up one of the better pass-rushing DTs in Jackson against two new starters for the Packer's interior oline. With House, Ramsey and Amukamara the Jags also have three corners that should present a decent test for the Packer's passing game (not to mention that Myles was probably the best pass-defense linebacker in the country before he got hurt).

I fully expect the Packers to win but I only if the offense can prove that last year was an anomaly; that Rodgers can return to playing like the best QB in the NFL, that Nelson can be the guy he was in 2014, that Cobb can put his worst season behind him, that Lacy is no longer trying out for backup guard, that two new starters on the interior oline can keep a clean pocket and that some receiver can step up into the third slot. Lots of questions and i can hardly wait to see some of the answers.

The annual fan freak out after our first loss should be a good one again.