Week 1 : Jacksonville Jaguars

D

Deleted member 6794

Not when you consider how little depth the Packers have on the dline right now and that a major component of said depth, Clark, is coming off of a back injury. Added to that is a rookie starting at ILB and you could have some problems stopping some powerful running backs in the first game of the season and still end up with a decent to good run defense by the end of the year.

The Packers will face several better rushing attacks than the Jaguars this year. While it's possible the defense improves over the course of the season, especially once Pennel returns, it would be concerning struggling against Jacksonville.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will face several better rushing attacks than the Jaguars this year. While it's possible the defense improves over the course of the season, especially once Pennel returns, it would be concerning struggling against Jacksonville.

Yes, but the Packers will have more depth and, hopefully, a fully healthy Kenny Clark who is more involved in the defense. You're focusing on the Jags rushing game. I'm saying the lack of depth on the dline and the rookie ILB are the more concerning issues.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm saying the lack of depth on the dline and the rookie ILB are the more concerning issues.

True, but I'm concerned that the Packers run defense will be the weak spot of the team and the lack of depth and possibly talent on the defensive line and inside linebacker will result in the team struggling to stop the run all season long.

Controlling the Jaguars rushing attack should at least be considered a good sign.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wednesday's injury report:

Chris Banjo (hamstring), Jayrone Elliott (hamstring), Josh Hawkins (hamstring) and Justin Perillo (knee) didn't practice. Trevor Davis (shoulder) was a limited participant.

OP
OP
Royal Pain

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wednesday's injury report:

Chris Banjo (hamstring), Jayrone Elliott (hamstring), Josh Hawkins (hamstring) and Justin Perillo (knee) didn't practice. Trevor Davis (shoulder) was a limited participant.

No starters on the initial injury report. Good news! Especially pleased to not see Burnett on the report since he did not suit up the entire preseason. We're as healthy as I can ever remember entering a new season.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The heat/humidity could be a real factor. Hoping the Pack can get out to a quick start in case it hits them in the 2nd half.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The heat/humidity could be a real factor. Hoping the Pack can get out to a quick start in case it hits them in the 2nd half.

Weather prediction for game time is 93 and sunny. Even Miami is suppose to be 6 degrees cooler on Sunday. These are the games I wish were in GB.....in December.

D

Deleted member 6794

No starters on the initial injury report. Good news! Especially pleased to not see Burnett on the report since he did not suit up the entire preseason. We're as healthy as I can ever remember entering a new season.

True, most likely the Packers will only miss one starter entering the season in Linsley.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While both of the Jaguars backs are above average their offensive line doesn't excel blocking for the run. The Packers defense having trouble stopping Jacksonville's rushing attack woukd be extremely concerning for the rest of the season.

I mean yeah. That was kinda my point. We matchup good with them. We're not strong up the middle but that isn't their style of play or personnel

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Anyone surprised that the Packers are listing Hyde as the return man for both kick offs and punts? Lowry appears to be getting the start on defense.

I originally liked Hyde returning punts, but his decisions and abilities got some what questionable for me last year. As far as kick offs, I would rather see Monty, Davis or Abby back there.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...k-1-depth-chart-with-no-surprises-to-be-found

D

Deleted member 6794

Anyone surprised that the Packers are listing Hyde as the return man for both kick offs and punts? Lowry appears to be getting the start on defense.

I originally liked Hyde returning punts, but his decisions and abilities got some what questionable for me last year. As far as kick offs, I would rather see Monty or Abby back there.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...k-1-depth-chart-with-no-surprises-to-be-found

According to the team website the current depth chart is unofficial, therefore I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

http://www.packers.com/team/depth-chart.html

In my opinion the blocking was the main problem on punt returns, not Hyde regressing compared to previous years. I agree someone else should return kickoffs though.

H

HardRightEdge

Blake Martinez will wear the helmet radio at Jacksonville, meaning he will receive the calls from Capers and setting the defense.
He was given Hawk's number. He's a smart guy from Stanford. 27 Wonderlic which is quite high for a LB, graduated in 3 1/2 years majoring in "management science and engineering", not skating through "general studies". Smarts are a prerequisite for the Capers mind meld. Practiced against and played against pro-style at Stanford.

One of the key points of interest in this game is whether we'll see some good old rust-belt-blue-collar to go with the fancy West Coast diploma in backstopping this dodgy D-Line.

H

HardRightEdge

According to the team website the current depth chart is unofficial, therefore I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

http://www.packers.com/team/depth-chart.html

In my opinion the blocking was the main problem on punt returns, not Hyde regressing compared to previous years. I agree someone else should return kickoffs though.
I believe I was the first to observe in these pages the questionable punt return blocking last season. Hyde seemed to be fair catching an awful lot with guys in his face, not unlike that guy who banged into the Packer returner in week 1 of preseason on a FC attempt (I think that was Hyde in week 1) that oddly did not draw a flag. The punt blocking observation was alluded to in one of the Zook interviews at packers.com around the start of preseason. It seemed to get better as preseason wore on.

My only concern is that punt returning is a dangerous occupation and Hyde's second contract FA ticket out of town is as a nickel/safety. I expect to him returning punts in week 1, but if business decisions creep into the proceedings, such as fair catches with room to run, a change would be in order. Don't get me wrong; I like Hyde and have seen no evidence to date that he won't play all out. But he wouldn't be the first guy to start dodging bullets with money looming.

KO? I suppose it's possible they'd go with Hyde while Janis is clubbing it, but I doubt it. You would have figured it would be Montgomery or Davis, but with Davis hurting his shoulder last week Montgomery would appear to be the default choice. However, I would not rule out the flashy Pressley, unless somebody's going to tell me he was cut an hour ago. ;)

There's not a whole lot to learn as a KO returner. So long as the guy can track the ball well, doesn't drop it, and catches it in a body position to put giddy up in his gitalong (i.e., not back on the heels), then it's just "do your thing". If he meets the prerequisites, which he should, and if they like what that "thing" is in this week's practices, then I wouldn't doubt it. I confess to having a weakness for guys who know how to stiff arm as Pressley did in his preseason TD return.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't had a chance to read through all of the replies, but it feels good to be posting in a thread like this again! Week 1 of a long season, but I am feeling confident. With the receivers we have, Lacy looking good in preseason and word of Rodgers being fantastic in practice, I am ready for Sunday. However, I do not expect us to just go into Jacksonville this Sunday and run over the Jaguars. They are a much improved team in recent years and I am sure they'll be ready for Week 1 at home. Our history hasn't been the greatest in Florida. As of now it looks like it could be around 93 degrees which will play a role, I'm sure. However, I feel like this team is ready to get the sour taste out of their mouth from struggles we faced last year. I'm going with...

Packers: 27
Jaguars: 20

BortalKombat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greetings all, Jag Fan here.

Had some info for you guys. Here in town we're looking forward to the game. We've been bottom dwellers for a while and feel we finally have an explosive offense again (since the turn of the century). But we also know who's coming to town.

Our first two pre-season games the #1 offense was unstoppable. 5 drives, 3 TD's, 1 FG (after Julius Thomas dropped an easy, short TD pass) - JagFan was going to the Super Bowl. Then week 3 against Cincy the wheels came off, JagFan was going 0-16. So we'll see which team shows up. We had an unusually high number of penalties in all three games, which was concerning even in pre-season, but Gus has been at the bottom of that list during the his 3 seasons here so we hope it was a blip.

Here's what I think you'll see…

Offence:
Blake Bortles - we love him. He's a baller - reminds me of Arron and Big Ben. Loves to throw the deep ball (even if it is a bit wobbly) and has the targets. He's got great pocket presence, steps up like a man (that's where our Gabbert experiment fell apart). And he's just as dangerous on the run. His 4,400 yards and 38 TDs last year we record setting for us. As were his 18 INTs. He got flak for them being "garbage" TD's, but he still made the throws. If he can get the INTs down he is dangerous (none thrown in pre-season).

2 - 1000 yard receivers last year

Allen Robinson (AR15) is a beast. He's the real deal. His specialty seems to be the 50/50 jump ball which around here we call it the 80/20 - because that ball is his and he's going to take it. He's big and physical and will be a good test for whomever the Pack puts on him.

Allen Hurns - is also very good. Blake hit ARob 150+ times last season and Hurns 105. Hurns average yard per catch was 16.1 with 10 TDs and AR15s YPC was 17.5 with 14 TD's. So if you guys shut down AR15 then keep an eye on Hurns.

Marquis Lee was selected before Arob but has been a hamstring magnet for the first 2 seasons. This was the first pre-season he's made it through without issue. We have high hopes as he can easily be yet another major pass threat.

Behind them we have Rashad Green and Brian Walters. Both solid, so WRs we got.

TE Julius Thomas - added last year he broke a finger on the first play of the first preseason game (yes, we are snake bit), but all has been good since. They showed nothing of him in the preseason and it was by design. He will be a big part of the plan this year - watch out for him (as we are - paid him big bucks).

At running back we added Chris Ivory to work with TJ Yeldon. They were both very good in pre-season. I think Ivory led the AFC in rushing last year at Buffalo. Yeldon is good but we didn't run the ball as often as we'd like last year (740 yds). They both average over 4 per carry and our hope his we have another Fred Taylor/MJD combo. We will see.

Our O-line was bad last year. Our #2 overall LT draft Luke Jokel was moved to Guard this year with Kevin Betchum coming back from an ACL out of PIT getting the LT start. He's only played in the 3rd pre-season game so we haven't seen that knee go a whole game. Jokel is also getting his first start at the guard position, so we have concerns. Blake was sacked an insane amount over the last two years. Center Brandon Linder is our best OL, but just moved to Center this season. The right side has been solid, so everyone here has eyes on the O-line.

Defence:

If we had just a slightly better defense we would have won 4+ more games last year. They were bad, especially on 3rd down, we can stop the run pretty good with D-line and Paul Pozlusky our MLB, but had no answer for a passing attack. We couldn't get anyone off the field, and had no pass rush. Our #1 draft selection Donte Fowler Jr. litereally torn his ACL one his first play in training camp and was gone for the year. But! We got busy in the draft and free agency this year. Jalen Ramsey and Miles Jack were the well know draft selections this year, and with Donte coming in it's like we have 3 first round guys taking the field now. Malik Jackson, Prince Amukamora and Tashaun Gipson we're added from FA (House from you guys last year). So on paper we look to be much better, but we haven't seen anything yet. They need to gel so it's better to play them now (like you are) vs/ later in the season if you ask me. But still, we can only go up from where we were! Keep an eye out for our pass-rush, it's been our main focus.

Special Teams:

We were horrible in coverage this pre-season. Where we've been average, we hope it's just pre-season, but we'll see. Our Kicker Jason Myers is ready to be ran out of town. He missed a bunch of extra points last year... (still hurts), he can kick it 60 yards, but accuracy is the issue. We hope we don't have to count on him to win the game. If it come down to that and you're watching on the TV, know that we are all terrified.

Who you should look out for is Corey Grant returning kicks. This guys is nothing but speed, he's got funny speed. Many we're curious if we would have a spot for him, but in preseason he showed it again and when you see it, you just can't cut it from the team.

All that being said, our guess is that we are going to try and keep Arron off the field with our two-headed running attack, we don't want to get in a shoot-out with Arron although we feel Blake can do it. If we get behind look out for the deep ball. How you pass rush will work against our suspect O-line will be another hand wringer over here. We're young across the board and have been in a complete rebuild since the new owner/coach/GM took over 3 years go. We only have 2 guys left on the team from before their tenure. But we are tired of the process and ready for some wins.

As for the weather. I am born and raised in North Florida, and I'm here to tell you, it is a miserable hot. Forecast is for 95• with a feels like 105• and it's no joke. The game is sold out but you will see a lot of empty seats I bet, but those people are in the AC. We've got a huge Bud Zone in one endgame and it's basically a huge open field bar, same thing with the redesigned club seat this year, they built two large windowed decks on both sides so everyone who sits in the posh AC club area with all the games running on big screens can see the field now, but basically it's freaking hot and we know it. How it effects the game is to be seen, but man, it's hot!

I won't guess a score, I hope we win, we seem to play GB well for whatever reason and I'm glad it's here. If we can run the game and the get the heat on your D in the 4th quarter I think we win. If you harass BB all day and stop the run we lose. GL and no injuries!

NOW - Another cool thing. I am painting a mural here in Jacksonville for the Biggest Green Bay Packers Fan of all time! He has a 70' long, 30' wide. 30' tall garage for his (as large as legally possible) Horse trailer/RV. And he wanted the whole inside painted as Lambeau Field! It is a huge job that will end up taking me about 4 years. But I think you guys will get a kick out of it. I track the progress at lambeausouthproject dot com. Go check out some of my videos. I may bring this up on a separate thread in this forum as I am looking for some detail info about the stadium that I can't seem to find in pictures. Also I'll end up painting about 20,000 separate fans and have opened it up for anyone to send me picks and I will put them in the stadium. Brian (the guy_ wants to be in the Fan Hall of Fame - After you see this I don't know how that won't happen.

Whew!! Thanks for good luck Sunday (to us).

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score

NOW - Another cool thing. I am painting a mural here in Jacksonville for the Biggest Green Bay Packers Fan of all time! He has a 70' long, 30' wide. 30' tall garage for his (as large as legally possible) Horse trailer/RV. And he wanted the whole inside painted as Lambeau Field! It is a huge job that will end up taking me about 4 years. But I think you guys will get a kick out of it. I track the progress at lambeausouthproject dot com. Go check out some of my videos. I may bring this up on a separate thread in this forum as I am looking for some detail info about the stadium that I can't seem to find in pictures. Also I'll end up painting about 20,000 separate fans and have opened it up for anyone to send me picks and I will put them in the stadium. Brian (the guy_ wants to be in the Fan Hall of Fame - After you see this I don't know how that won't happen.

Can't wait to see the garage when it's done.

H

HardRightEdge

JagFan was going to the Super Bowl. Then week 3 against Cincy the wheels came off, JagFan was going 0-16.
Well, with limited contact practices, core players sitting out preseason, coupled with the ever-present free agency revolving door, NFL play in the first 3 weeks is fairly raggedy. The Jags have a lot of young players and free agents in key spots that will likely require some jelling. It might take a few weeks before "JagFan" even begins to know what he has.

The Jags talent level is evident, but with all those key young guys and FA turnover in the starting lineup, I wouldn't get my hopes up for a fast move out of the gate.

Last edited by a moderator:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Had some info for you guys. Here in town we're looking forward to the game. We've been bottom dwellers for a while and feel we finally have an explosive offense again (since the turn of the century). But we also know who's coming to town.

Our first two pre-season games the #1 offense was unstoppable. 5 drives, 3 TD's, 1 FG (after Julius Thomas dropped an easy, short TD pass) - JagFan was going to the Super Bowl. Then week 3 against Cincy the wheels came off, JagFan was going 0-16. So we'll see which team shows up. We had an unusually high number of penalties in all three games, which was concerning even in pre-season, but Gus has been at the bottom of that list during the his 3 seasons here so we hope it was a blip.

Here's what I think you'll see…

Offence:
Blake Bortles - we love him. He's a baller - reminds me of Arron and Big Ben. Loves to throw the deep ball (even if it is a bit wobbly) and has the targets. He's got great pocket presence, steps up like a man (that's where our Gabbert experiment fell apart). And he's just as dangerous on the run. His 4,400 yards and 38 TDs last year we record setting for us. As were his 18 INTs. He got flak for them being "garbage" TD's, but he still made the throws. If he can get the INTs down he is dangerous (none thrown in pre-season).

2 - 1000 yard receivers last year

Allen Robinson (AR15) is a beast. He's the real deal. His specialty seems to be the 50/50 jump ball which around here we call it the 80/20 - because that ball is his and he's going to take it. He's big and physical and will be a good test for whomever the Pack puts on him.

Allen Hurns - is also very good. Blake hit ARob 150+ times last season and Hurns 105. Hurns average yard per catch was 16.1 with 10 TDs and AR15s YPC was 17.5 with 14 TD's. So if you guys shut down AR15 then keep an eye on Hurns.

Marquis Lee was selected before Arob but has been a hamstring magnet for the first 2 seasons. This was the first pre-season he's made it through without issue. We have high hopes as he can easily be yet another major pass threat.

Behind them we have Rashad Green and Brian Walters. Both solid, so WRs we got.

TE Julius Thomas - added last year he broke a finger on the first play of the first preseason game (yes, we are snake bit), but all has been good since. They showed nothing of him in the preseason and it was by design. He will be a big part of the plan this year - watch out for him (as we are - paid him big bucks).

At running back we added Chris Ivory to work with TJ Yeldon. They were both very good in pre-season. I think Ivory led the AFC in rushing last year at Buffalo. Yeldon is good but we didn't run the ball as often as we'd like last year (740 yds). They both average over 4 per carry and our hope his we have another Fred Taylor/MJD combo. We will see.

Our O-line was bad last year. Our #2 overall LT draft Luke Jokel was moved to Guard this year with Kevin Betchum coming back from an ACL out of PIT getting the LT start. He's only played in the 3rd pre-season game so we haven't seen that knee go a whole game. Jokel is also getting his first start at the guard position, so we have concerns. Blake was sacked an insane amount over the last two years. Center Brandon Linder is our best OL, but just moved to Center this season. The right side has been solid, so everyone here has eyes on the O-line.

Defence:

If we had just a slightly better defense we would have won 4+ more games last year. They were bad, especially on 3rd down, we can stop the run pretty good with D-line and Paul Pozlusky our MLB, but had no answer for a passing attack. We couldn't get anyone off the field, and had no pass rush. Our #1 draft selection Donte Fowler Jr. litereally torn his ACL one his first play in training camp and was gone for the year. But! We got busy in the draft and free agency this year. Jalen Ramsey and Miles Jack were the well know draft selections this year, and with Donte coming in it's like we have 3 first round guys taking the field now. Malik Jackson, Prince Amukamora and Tashaun Gipson we're added from FA (House from you guys last year). So on paper we look to be much better, but we haven't seen anything yet. They need to gel so it's better to play them now (like you are) vs/ later in the season if you ask me. But still, we can only go up from where we were! Keep an eye out for our pass-rush, it's been our main focus.

Special Teams:

We were horrible in coverage this pre-season. Where we've been average, we hope it's just pre-season, but we'll see. Our Kicker Jason Myers is ready to be ran out of town. He missed a bunch of extra points last year... (still hurts), he can kick it 60 yards, but accuracy is the issue. We hope we don't have to count on him to win the game. If it come down to that and you're watching on the TV, know that we are all terrified.

Who you should look out for is Corey Grant returning kicks. This guys is nothing but speed, he's got funny speed. Many we're curious if we would have a spot for him, but in preseason he showed it again and when you see it, you just can't cut it from the team.

All that being said, our guess is that we are going to try and keep Arron off the field with our two-headed running attack, we don't want to get in a shoot-out with Arron although we feel Blake can do it. If we get behind look out for the deep ball. How you pass rush will work against our suspect O-line will be another hand wringer over here. We're young across the board and have been in a complete rebuild since the new owner/coach/GM took over 3 years go. We only have 2 guys left on the team from before their tenure. But we are tired of the process and ready for some wins.

As for the weather. I am born and raised in North Florida, and I'm here to tell you, it is a miserable hot. Forecast is for 95• with a feels like 105• and it's no joke. The game is sold out but you will see a lot of empty seats I bet, but those people are in the AC. We've got a huge Bud Zone in one endgame and it's basically a huge open field bar, same thing with the redesigned club seat this year, they built two large windowed decks on both sides so everyone who sits in the posh AC club area with all the games running on big screens can see the field now, but basically it's freaking hot and we know it. How it effects the game is to be seen, but man, it's hot!

I won't guess a score, I hope we win, we seem to play GB well for whatever reason and I'm glad it's here. If we can run the game and the get the heat on your D in the 4th quarter I think we win. If you harass BB all day and stop the run we lose. GL and no injuries!

Well thought out post. Good luck on the Lambeau rendering. I've always cheered for the Jaguars after the Packers and would consider them my #2 team so you won't find any Packers fan that hopes they turn it around more then me.

There's alot if talent down there but the Packers are a just a pretty bad matchup right now for the Jaguars. Pretty much all of the Jaguars strengths on offense are going up against the Packers strengths on D and I just don't see any way, with the learning curve that one could expect from 3 rookies comming off injury playing major roles on D, that they'll be able to slow down the Packers offense.

If you guys can gash us up the middle with Ivory then you have a chance to keep Rodgers on the sideline but I'm just not seeing the personnel on the roster to do that. Otherwise our secondary and pass rush is more then good enough to give any team problems so I wouldn't bank on a shootout going in your favor.

I said it before. It's good we're playing Jacksonville early before they gell. They got talent. It just needs to develop. But it's not on the Packers level just yet especially from a matchup standpoint.

H

HardRightEdge

I checked your web site. Whow!? That's really quite a project. If I might make a couple of suggestions:

1. The fans should show more green and gold and especially some orange. As to the latter, when the weather gets cold a lot of fans wear their hunting jackets. Check out a home game for the feel of it.

2. If you can find a year 5, I'd consider a ceiling fresco. OK, a fresco is by definition on plaster, but you get the idea. Amidst the blue sky and clouds would be a portrait of a recumbent Lombardi, finger outstretched toward the hand of God, with God's facial features copied from those of Curly Lambeau. This could serve as a model:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Of course, Lombardi would not be nude...that would be blasphemy. Suit and tie, camelhair overcoat, fedora:

Seriously, though, there's a fine line between inspiration and insanity. ;)

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score

our new punter has experience in heat so it shouldn't be a factor for him. :tup:

BortalKombat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I checked your web site. Whow!? That's really quite a project. If I might make a couple of suggestions:

1. The fans should show more green and gold and especially some orange. As to the latter, when the weather gets cold a lot of fans wear their hunting jackets. Check out a home game for the feel of it.

2. If you can find a year 5, I'd consider a ceiling fresco. OK, a fresco is by definition on plaster, but you get the idea. Amidst the blue sky and clouds would be a portrait of a recumbent Lombardi, finger outstretched toward the hand of God, with God's facial features copied from those of Curly Lambeau. This could serve as a model:

Of course, Lombardi would not be nude...that would be blasphemy. Suit and tie, camelhair overcoat, fedora:

Seriously, though, there's a fine line between inspiration and insanity. ;)
Nice! I lay down a lot of gold and green when I start laying the people, almost to the point of where I start to think Im putting to much! But when I look at photos it all there is, I just had to mix it up some.

With the number of people I'll be painting I'm going to do some fun things. Vince will be "hiding" on each of the four walls. I will have several hidden things I'll drop in and not let anyone know until it's done, so they have something fun to search for. I'll post more on another proper thread as I need info on the ring of honor and other things.

Members online

Latest posts