RIP Ken Bowman -- Center in SBs 1 & 2

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Tribute of the era:
"Packers Hall of Fame quarterback Bart Starr once said, "I've never seen a guttier guy than Ken Bowman." Bill Lueck, who started at left guard alongside Bowman from 1969-73, once said in even greater wonderment: "How much pain that man could tolerate was incredible. You have to be able to play with pain in the NFL, but he was something else.""

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was said Bowman separated his shoulder on a play in Super Bowl I. Somehow pops it back into place and continues playing. RIP Ken.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was right at the beginning of something that has intrigued me for a long time - the long-term success or failure of teams at certain positions. The Pack, at center, has had Ringo, Bowman, McCarren, Cannon, Flanagan, Wells, Linsley. On the other hand, outside of a few years of Finley, how many outstanding TEs have they had? Chmura and Fleming in the Packer Hall of Fame, but... And, this year, we've all been reminded of the Bears' attempts at QB. Over multiple eras, management, et. al, why would a particular team continue to end up with those kinds of results?

I understand it's all subjective, so don't bother to point out nit-picky exceptions - just thinking out loud, and it's hard to deny the above in general terms.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was right at the beginning of something that has intrigued me for a long time - the long-term success or failure of teams at certain positions. The Pack, at center, has had Ringo, Bowman, McCarren, Cannon, Flanagan, Wells, Linsley. On the other hand, outside of a few years of Finley, how many outstanding TEs have they had? Chmura and Fleming in the Packer Hall of Fame, but... And, this year, we've all been reminded of the Bears' attempts at QB. Over multiple eras, management, et. al, why would a particular team continue to end up with those kinds of results?

I understand it's all subjective, so don't bother to point out nit-picky exceptions - just thinking out loud, and it's hard to deny the above in general terms.
You can have good TEs on bad teams and bad TEs on good teams. You have to add the great Ron Kramer from the Lombardi era. Then there was Rich McGeorge and Paul Coffman. Keith Jackson was only with us for a year and a half. And do not forget Bubba Franks.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's why I harped on the subjectivity factor. :) I like the guys you mentioned, solid contributors, but just can't see them as links in a chain of outstanding players.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

WOAH there horsey. You are forgetting about James Campen and Frankie "Bag O Donuts" Winters!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I regret that I did not see this report about Ken Bowman. He was great. He was always one of the players interviewed in just about any documentary about the Lombardi Packers.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had more to do with the block on Jethro Pugh than he has been given credit for.
Absolutely! Jerry Kramer got credit for it. but Bowman was in on the play being instrumental in clearing the spot for Starr to score. History went on to give all the credit to Kramer, but if you look at the play closely, it was the two of them.

Members online

Latest posts