- Jun 11, 2012
- Reaction score
I agree. We need an LT that can at least neutralize the Bosas or the Crosbys even though they move them. Walker got trounced the last 2 games. Will he get better? Not that much. And the MLF commitment change in the offense should have occurred going into the season. Recall when we went into AZ in 2021 he had no Adams or Lazard due to COVID. He did just that and we executed well except for our last drive. And he was without Tonyan for the last quarter. But we did have Big Dog. Somehow somewhere I think we need to find a veteran TE for the simple plays. Being in position, block adequately, and can make the short yardage catches for a 1st down. A crucial drop on that last drive was a killer.With 12 games (minimum) to go in the '23 season here are my thoughts on improvement.
1. Need a solid, long-term LT...Walker had a couple of decent games after Bakhtiari went down, last 2 he's sucked. Move Zach Tom to be current & future LT. Would like to give Nijman another chance at success at RT before losing him with no return to FA.
2. MLF needs to commit to using short, high percentage passing game to soften D's to the run. Don't have the horses up front to be run-first so play to your talent. Keep motion, play-action but utilize high % slants, pick plays, outs to chip away & move the chains. Obviously mix in runs, but not every 1st down, leaving the offense with 2nd & 8. With 70-75% success Loves confidence will soar.
3. Watson needs to run his 10-15 yd in/out breaking patterns to see what he can win vs defender. MLF can then mix in a deep drop, longer developing play with good chance of Watson winning & succeeding a chunk play.
4. At least 2/half designed Love keeper runs outside after play-action to keep D's honest. Kid can move, use him.
5. With consistent D pressure use screens. That mean they need to practice AND become good at them.
6. No more experimental TE blocking. Sims appears decent at it, Kraft needs to earn playing time as right now he sucks at blocking.