Week 1 : Jacksonville Jaguars

D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't bother looking up the records, but it seems we've had more success against them in Jacksonville than we've had in Green Bay.

The Packers are 3-2 (1-1 at Lambeau, 2-1 on the road) all time against the Jaguars.

Lane Taylor is a run blocking guard so he should help in that area, but his passblocking is questionable to say the least.

While Taylor is better blocking for the run than in pass protection he's no upgrade over Sitton in that area either.

It seems to me that the Pack has historically (I have no stats) had trouble in the state of Florida.

Overall the Packers have a record of 18-21-1 in games having been played in Florida.

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Go Pack Go!
Packers 31 Jaguars 17
Rodgers 22 for 28 250 Yards 2 td's
Lacy 18 carries for 110 yards TD
Starks 9 carries for 55 yards TD

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I predict we win like I already stated 28-21. But I think Yeldon has a big day. He will be more trouble for our D than people realize. If Blake Martinez does start he needs to bring his A game week 1 and 2. We need a strong performance from our 1st RD pick Kenny Clark. He wont be facing great talent so hopefully he can plug up the middle in the run maybe collapse the pocket a few times.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll be the first on this thread to officially call it a blow out in our favor. Why? No stats to quote but just a warm fuzzy feeling, like when the brandy kicks in....which it hasn't yet.

The Jaguars are a rapidly improving team but I think we will come out strong, give a little in the middle, and then pound down the win at the end.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if win a lopsided against the jags

D

Deleted member 6794

Blake Martinez will wear the helmet radio at Jacksonville, meaning he will receive the calls from Capers and setting the defense.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I hope my biggest off season disappointment doesn't come back to sting the Packers this Sunday or any week for that matter. That has to be at ILB. Arguably one of the weakest positions at the end of last season and all that was done to try and improve it was draft Martinez and cut Barrington. While I like Martinez, the Packers are asking a lot out of him, hopefully not too much. Ryan has been hurt and looked really rusty in that last preseason game. Joe Thomas, while looking somewhat improved is still not starting caliber. I expect to see CM III back playing at ILB at any moment.

Couple the ILB questions with those similar questions about the front 3 on defense and our offense is going to have to have a strong performance to win this game. Hoping that our secondary plays up to the level we all think they are at and shuts down the passing game as well as forces a few turnovers. Which I think they will and the Pack leaves Jacksonville with a 31-24 win.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Mostly agree with your post but I don't expect Matthews to be moved inside again.
I really don't want to see Matthews moved back inside again but......Options if Martinez or Ryan go down and Thomas plays like he did last year? Bradford and Brown aren't ready. I have been half expecting to see the Packers pick up an ILB that would provide them with another option, but maybe they are waiting until after week 1?

D

Deleted member 6794

I really don't want to see Matthews moved back inside again but......Options if Martinez or Ryan go down and Thomas plays like he did last year? Bradford and Brown aren't ready. I have been half expecting to see the Packers pick up an ILB that would provide them with another option, but maybe they are waiting until after week 1?

Absolutely agree that the Packers lack depth at inside linebacker. I have been vocal all offseason about my disappointment Thompson only addressed the position with a fourth round pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Absolutely agree that the Packers lack depth at inside linebacker. I have been vocal all offseason about my disappointment Thompson only addressed the position with a fourth round pick.
I don't even think you can call the situation at ILB "depth", it's about as shallow as you could possibly have it and if it wasn't for being able to slide Mathews in there, it would almost be considered skeleton like. Given the nature of injuries at the position in the past, sadly, I predict someone who is not on the current Packer roster (or PS) starting at ILB at some point in the season. I love our depth and youth in the secondary, but I would gladly give up one of those guys for more depth and experience at ILB.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't even think you can call the situation at ILB "depth", it's about as shallow as you could possibly have it and if it wasn't for being able to slide Mathews in there, it would almost be considered skeleton like. I love our depth and youth in the secondary, but I would gladly give up one of those guys for more depth and experience at ILB.

True, I was extremely surprised the Packers only kept three inside linebackers on the roster. Most likely the coaching staff truly plans on using Burnett as a hybrid safety/linebacker though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
True, I was extremely surprised the Packers only kept three inside linebackers on the roster. Most likely the coaching staff truly plans on using Burnett as a hybrid safety/linebacker though.

I know that was another plan, but with Burnett not even playing in the preseason, it will be interesting to see if that experiment is attempted during the regular season.

I think we all know why only 3 ILB's were kept, the Packers felt that they only had 3 ILB's ready to play at ILB. Barrington, a projected starter, being cut with no depth is an indication of just how bare the cupboards at ILB have been and still are in GB.

D

Deleted member 6794

I know that was another plan, but with Burnett not even playing in the preseason, it will be interesting to see if that experiment is attempted during the regular season.

It might take some time because Burnett wasn't able to play during the preseason but I expect the Packers to use him as a hybrid S/LB at some point this season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It might take some time because Burnett wasn't able to play during the preseason but I expect the Packers to use him as a hybrid S/LB at some point this season.
and we come full circle LOL...given the lack of depth at ILB, I think you are right.

Ok...on to what we do about the Guard position..... :D :coffee:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I predict we win like I already stated 28-21. But I think Yeldon has a big day. He will be more trouble for our D than people realize. If Blake Martinez does start he needs to bring his A game week 1 and 2. We need a strong performance from our 1st RD pick Kenny Clark. He wont be facing great talent so hopefully he can plug up the middle in the run maybe collapse the pocket a few times.

The Jaguars offense is pretty good, (better be as I have both Bortles and Yeldon on my fantasy team), but the good news is our defense matches up well with them. Where our defense is weak, either untill Pennel comes back or Clark produces, is up the middle but thats not something the Jaguars excell at either on offense. The "x" factor on that side if the ball will be Martinez against Yeldon out of the backfield.

The Jaguars have alot of talent on D. But arguably their 3 most talented guys will all be rookies, or at least effectively rookies, and all of them are comming off of injuries in Jack, Flowers JR and Ramsey. It's good to get them early before they start to get there feet under them.

They'll put up some points but assuming ARod and the offense return to form they don't have the experience on defense to slow us down yet. 34-24 Packers

D

Deleted member 6794

The Jaguars offense is pretty good, (better be as I have both Bortles and Yeldon on my fantasy team), but the good news is our defense matches up well with them. Where our defense is weak, either untill Pennel comes back or Clark produces, is up the middle but thats not something the Jaguars excell at either on offense. The "x" factor on that side if the ball will be Martinez against Yeldon out of the backfield.

While both of the Jaguars backs are above average their offensive line doesn't excel blocking for the run. The Packers defense having trouble stopping Jacksonville's rushing attack woukd be extremely concerning for the rest of the season.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While both of the Jaguars backs are above average their offensive line doesn't excel blocking for the run. The Packers defense having trouble stopping Jacksonville's rushing attack woukd be extremely concerning for the rest of the season.

Not when you consider how little depth the Packers have on the dline right now and that a major component of said depth, Clark, is coming off of a back injury. Added to that is a rookie starting at ILB and you could have some problems stopping some powerful running backs in the first game of the season and still end up with a decent to good run defense by the end of the year.

Latest posts