Wahle / Rivera ... FINAL TAKE.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
You make some good points Packnic but here in eagleland the team is ripped because they win the "Salary Cap" Bowl every year. How many titles has it brought them? And now that window of opportunity may be gone.

With Wahle this year we are a contender. Who knows what next season will bring? Say Favre leaves and Barnett says without Favre I'm not re-signing here? Play for today if you have a chance and a hall of fame QB on the roster.

To be one football player away from contention shows just how far this team has come since coming into '05. We were far away at that time.

We had four football players on the defensive side of the ball that were of the quality to make a playoff run. The Paris', Digg's, Carrolls, and Romans certainly weren't going to get us there.

If they don't contend this year you can count on all those that are ******* them this year to be singing a different tune next.

Who know what next year is going to bring? That's a good question when aren't doing anything about bringing in talent which we didn't do in '02,'03, and '04.

At this point next year looks to bring much better results than any "next" year in the past four.

Don't think Barnett doesn't know this. He sees the strides that have been made and where this is going. I doubt he goes anywhere.

If your not happy that BF doesn't have the team around him he needs just look back to those years NOTHING was done.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
DePack said:
You make some good points Packnic but here in eagleland the team is ripped because they win the "Salary Cap" Bowl every year. How many titles has it brought them? And now that window of opportunity may be gone.

With Wahle this year we are a contender. Who knows what next season will bring? Say Favre leaves and Barnett says without Favre I'm not re-signing here? Play for today if you have a chance and a hall of fame QB on the roster.

To be one football player away from contention shows just how far this team has come since coming into '05. We were far away at that time.

We had four football players on the defensive side of the ball that were of the quality to make a playoff run. The Paris', Digg's, Carrolls, and Romans certainly weren't going to get us there.

If they don't contend this year you can count on all those that are ******* them this year to be singing a different tune next.

Who know what next year is going to bring? That's a good question when aren't doing anything about bringing in talent which we didn't do in '02,'03, and '04.

At this point next year looks to bring much better results than any "next" year in the past four.

Don't think Barnett doesn't know this. He sees the strides that have been made and where this is going. I doubt he goes anywhere.

If your not happy that BF doesn't have the team around him he needs just look back to those years NOTHING was done.

Whats this have to do with anything? We are addressing TT inability to resign Wahle. Criticize TT's moves and you guys go into "defend mode"

You are trying to justify TT's failures by pointing to other peoples failures?
What kind of argument is this?

Warhawk, if we still had Wahle on this team do you not think this team would be close to competing for a division title and a playoff run?

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DePack said:
Zero, thanks for posting this and stepping up to the plate.

Anytime.

I have always said I'm an objective person who only seeks the truth even if it means proving myself wrong.

In this case, all the searching and number crunching I did was proven wrong from a source that no one can deny is accurate.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yep, definitely a questionable move that hurt the pack in 05, but as someone pointed out, I dont think they were going anywhere (Driver and Chatman arent really a duo, its still a one man show)

the injuries were too bad.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
yep, definitely a questionable move that hurt the pack in 05, but as someone pointed out, I dont think they were going anywhere (Driver and Chatman arent really a duo, its still a one man show)

the injuries were too bad.

Yes but he would still be a Packer this year.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
pyledriver80 said:

and next year which is when i think the packers will be serious contenders.

I think Judgement Day on the McCarthy and Thompson era will be the 2008 season with Aaron Rodgers probably in his 2nd year as the starter. That's the year I expect a divsion title. I'm looking for improvement this year and more improvement next year.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats the fear I have, we will wait two years and then it won't work out and we will wait 3 more years and still nothing and before you know it we are the Browns, constantly rebuilding.

I just see the future for this team to be not real bright. Alot of that is going into a season with no #4 I guess. I just don't know if we have any budding superstars outside of Brett and maybe DD and Barnett. I just wish Brett could play for another 5 years.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a real strong gut feeling that Favre will play another 2 seasons after this year. Don't know why, but just a hunch.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because he will still be able to play at a high level, barring something unusual. And, I think he will like what he sees developing this season........

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i am NOT looking forward to another will he/won't he retire deal! personally, i think he will retire after this season.

back to the wahle/rivera issue...until hearing brandt come right out & admit it, i didn't want to believe that thompson would let these guys go. now that we heard it from the horse's mouth, i am PISSED!!! for what could have been & what should have been!!

just needed to get that off my chest. :(

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:eek: Favre may just stick around for another season beyond this one, assuming things improve substantially this season but, I seriously doubt he will remain beyond that. That would then leave GB with a major problem as Pyledriver has said. Where are the budding all-pros on this team other then possibly a few on defense? If TT was unable to see the value of players like Rivera and Wahle how will he be able to find better talent? You can only mass large numbers of draft selections so far and hope you hit a winner, especially if your draft position is just far enough down the position chart because you win more games then you lose but, not winning the big one.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
I have a real strong gut feeling that Favre will play another 2 seasons after this year. Don't know why, but just a hunch.

No doubt! Rodgers is going to be pissed.

One question, Pyle, if Wahle is retained, what would our record have been last year, and would we have had such a good draft class? Sometimes, from hindsight, sacrifices appear to be made for a greater good.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
id rather have favre for more years than have a-rod in, who looks to be improving. Hell, maybe we could even trade a-rod for something.

Id rather have a solid backup QB ready to step up and NOT NEED HIM, than NEED a solid backup QB ready to step up, and NOT HAVE HIM.

I like how its all worked out, even though 2005 was bad.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Zero2Cool said:
pyledriver80 said:

and next year which is when i think the packers will be serious contenders.

Really? Without Wahle you think that as well? Just curious

Yep. I should clarify serious contenders ... for the playoffs. I leave what happens in the playoffs up for grabs. Because as we seen last year, it doesn't matter how you get in the playoffs it matters what you do while you're there.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree. letting these guys go left us high & dry on the line - we can only dream about what might have been with them (or at least wahle) there. certainly contenders for the playoffs!

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Thats the fear I have, we will wait two years and then it won't work out and we will wait 3 more years and still nothing and before you know it we are the Browns, constantly rebuilding.

I just see the future for this team to be not real bright. Alot of that is going into a season with no #4 I guess. I just don't know if we have any budding superstars outside of Brett and maybe DD and Barnett. I just wish Brett could play for another 5 years.

This is my fear too!

Alot of posters here are putting alot of faith in TT saying that he's going to be able to build a contender in 3-4 years, but, as you said Pyle, what if it doesn't happen and we have alot of .500 seasons and no Titles?

You have the Green Bay Browns--that's what.

That's why I was pissed that TT didn't keep Wahle, and seemed to want to tear this Packer team to the ground in order to rebuild it--whether he had Brett Favre on it or not! As a matter of fact, it seemed as if he would have been happier if Favre retired--but that's another argument!

In my book, you build around your superstars that you have, and try to win it while you have them. What I think the Pack needed was an O-line, and a veteran receiver or two to compliment Driver. And TT could have done this, and had plenty left over to build the defense.

That's my biggest gripe. You have Brett Favre--set it up so you can win with him NOW!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
or the Green Bay Steelers or Green Bay Patriots

the wahle\rivera thing was a bad move. (put that in your sig, pyle)

its also over (or do we bring it up till those guys retire?).

minus that TT is doing what the steelers\patriots do.

-defensive team
-QB who can hold his own
-smart players
-quality human beings
-passion to play, and passion to win

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
warhawk said:
DePack said:

Whats this have to do with anything? We are addressing TT inability to resign Wahle. Criticize TT's moves and you guys go into "defend mode"

You are trying to justify TT's failures by pointing to other peoples failures?
What kind of argument is this?

Warhawk, if we still had Wahle on this team do you not think this team would be close to competing for a division title and a playoff run?

Your trying to make a case of TT's "inability" (to sign Wahle) on one hand and then make a case for a possibility to compete for a division title, which ONLY could be the case if TT had made all the other moves he HAS made.

You can't have it both ways. If TT HADN'T brought all the guys in he has there would be no case.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of you guys are three and four years behind the curve in when to be "worried" about having faith the team is heading in the right direction.

Be thankful something didn't click and have you worried going into '04 when we did NOTHING to imrove this team for the third year in a row but now we had Slowick at the wheel on defense.

THAT was a time for worry.

You can't do so little for so many years in the draft and not replacing lost FA's without it biting you in the ***. Now that there's an influx of players FINALLY coming on board is not the time to worry.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so you guys are saying that with Wahle last year... we would have won the superbowl? and your saying with Wahle this year we could win the superbowl. Its higly improbable that wahle meant that much to us. so its a win/lose situation. you lose a quality guard and 3-4 more games a year (maybe). but you free up cap space, have great young talent on the o-line, and become serious long term contenders again (again maybe).

and i think that Brett will stay another year if he wants to take a shot at winning the superbowl again. If he stays, with the current line having time to be together, more young draft talent, and possible free agent pickups... we are very serious contenders. (your always a contender with #4 though) But if he stayed this year just to break the records that hes holding second on... then i dont think he will come back. i fear he is doing the latter.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
Your trying to make a case of TT's "inability" (to sign Wahle) on one hand and then make a case for a possibility to compete for a division title, which ONLY could be the case if TT had made all the other moves he HAS made.

You can't have it both ways. If TT HADN'T brought all the guys in he has there would be no case.

No Warhawk.

TT blew the move that he had to make to protect Brett Favre (and provide a running attack) so that HE (Favre) had the chance to lead the Packers to the playoffs last year by not signing Wahle! Which would also have put the Packers in a much better position this year as far as the O-Line goes, and TT could have used another draft pick somewhere else.

A subtle difference perhaps, but football is a game of inches, and a move like that can either make or break a team's season!

Members online

Latest posts