This looks like a disaster

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will fully admit, there have been times where I have been quietly hoping for a Packer loss, if they are out of the playoffs and it improves draft position.

Let's just say yesterday was the end of the regular season, I would have been pulling for a Dolphin win. Instead of picking 17th in every round, the Packers would have been picking 12th in every round.

If Week 17 rolls around and a loss means getting the #1 pick, instead of the #2, 3 or 4......."Go Lions!"

I just can't do it for a draft pick. It's too much of a crap shoot. I get it but I can't do it. Having said that, a loss wouldn't bother me as much.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and here I was worried you were going to say something about your grammar and grampar

Its a family site so I wasn't going to say anything when he said his Grammar sucks but you had to go and mention his grampar.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Another telling tale for the Bears and their defense, once again like the 85 Bears, they are leading the league in Turnover differential (+13) as well as points scored off of turnovers (82). The Packers on the other hand have a differential of Zero. I couldn't find stats on Packer points off of turnovers, but considering they only have forced 11, it can't be too high.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another telling tale for the Bears and their defense, once again like the 85 Bears, they are leading the league in Turnover differential (+13) as well as points scored off of turnovers (82). The Packers on the other hand have a differential of Zero. I couldn't find stats on Packer points off of turnovers, but considering they only have forced 11, it can't be too high.
We're going to be getting more. Our Db's are too close to not start getting some eventually.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We're going to be getting more. Our Db's are too close to not start getting some eventually.
We need better ball security as well, we have the 2nd most lost fumbles in the NFL (9)

Turnover, are kind of the least talked about but in my opinion one of the more important stats in Football at times. One or two turnovers in a game can be the deciding factor. Some of it is strictly luck, but some teams seem to have a knack for stripping footballs and ball hawking DB's. I hate seeing it against a Packer player, but it is always impressive to watch a defender who is good at punching or ripping the ball out of a ball carriers hands.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would definitely like a younger coach with new ideas to transform this offense; but I'm torn because I don't want that new mind at the expense of losing Pettine because he is doing wonders with this defense. To be honest, Pettine and Gute have the keys to getting this franchise back to another Lombardi. If Gute can get Pettine 2-3 more chess pieces who can make a difference immediately like this past year. The offense can struggle to put up 30 but if the defense is only allowing 12-17 we should be in good shape all the way. So unfortunately I think we won't see a new HC unless they fail to make the playoffs or MM finally tanks after AR's retirement.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I would definitely like a younger coach with new ideas to transform this offense; but I'm torn because I don't want that new mind at the expense of losing Pettine because he is doing wonders with this defense. To be honest, Pettine and Gute have the keys to getting this franchise back to another Lombardi.
Promote Pettine and bring in Marty Morninweg, Scott Linehan or Jim Bob Cooter after they are released.

D

Deleted member 6794

No, if they win the Super Bowl because Rodgers covers up MM's conservative, traditional coaching, then I'll be happy they won but ticked that MM will become the coaching equivalent of Joe Flacco.

It would be absolutely ludicrous coming up with any reason to be ticked off if the Packers win the Super Bowl this season.

BTW, which team is currently ranked first in defense? Seems like all the focus has been on offense this year with the Saints, Chiefs, Rams all putting up a lot of points. I’m wondering who has the best D right now. My guess is that it’s the Chiefs, but I’ve been wrong before.......

The Titans currently lead the league in points allowed.

MM is too stubborn and too vain to let anyone else call the plays.

McCarthy gave up play calling before the start of the 2015 season but Clements only lasted 12 games as the Packers struggled on offense.

So you think people are wrong about MM? People are rooting for the team to get rid of MM.

Actually I'm rooting for the Packers to win the Super Bowl. If they end up missing the playoffs I'm fine with the team moving on from McCarthy.

Unfortunately, based on the way the NFL tends to work, that means missing the playoffs. If my options are:

A) Make the playoffs and lose in round one and then watch MM sign an extension and ruin more years of Rodgers' career
or
B) Packers miss the playoffs and replace the current under-performing coach with a modern coach who takes advantage of the best QB on the planet

I'll take B every time.

Would you have preferred option B in 2010 as well??? The first goal is to make the playoffs as a team getting hot at the right time can make a surprise run at a championship.

The Packers have currently scored 32 points off turnovers this season.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you think people are wrong about MM? People are rooting for the team to get rid of MM. Unfortunately, based on the way the NFL tends to work, that means missing the playoffs. If my options are:

A) Make the playoffs and lose in round one and then watch MM sign an extension and ruin more years of Rodgers' career
or
B) Packers miss the playoffs and replace the current under-performing coach with a modern coach who takes advantage of the best QB on the planet

I'll take B every time.
It’s odd that you think that those are the only possible scenarios.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s odd that you think that those are the only possible scenarios.

Well it would have taken too long to list every possible scenario...or would you have preferred to go through an exhaustive list that included:

MM sticks around but an indiscretion with a circus clown and billy goat force him to retire
Rodgers contracts polio because he was a closet anti-vaxxer and he's forced to retire
Packers win the Super Bowl, re-sign MM, and Rodgers retires in disbelief
Packers miss the playoffs, sign Pettine as HC, and regret it two years later

So yeah, I just listed some likely scenarios that didn't include the Packers hiring an already proven mediocre HC

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would you have preferred option B in 2010 as well??? The first goal is to make the playoffs as a team getting hot at the right time can make a surprise run at a championship.

You're comparing 2010, when MM was still a great coach with proven talent to 2018, when he's a proven mediocre coach who had to be forced into playing his third best offensive player (jones) and has consistently cost the team games for years with game mismanagement, conservative playcalling, and a refusal to admit his "QB room" is nonsense? Because I gotta be honest, that analogy just doesn't hold up. But, in answer to your question, no, no I wouldn't have wanted that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know that a lot of people like to point to the Packers 2010 season as an example of "why you never give up" on your team, but some things to keep in mind about that season before you start making your Super Bowl plans.
  1. Although they finished with only a respectable 10–6 record, good for a second-place finish in the NFC North, the Packers never lost a game by more than four points, and never trailed by more than seven the entire season, becoming the only team since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970 to accomplish this. All six of their regular season losses were by a combined 20 points.
  2. If memory serves me correct, the Packers also "got healthy" towards the end of that season. 2 of their losses in weeks 14 and 15 (Lions and Pats) were games played without Rodgers, who had suffered a concussion in the first half of the Lions game.
This wasn't an "average or bad" team that suddenly got good. They were a good team that finally got healthy and on a roll. Could this years team do the same? I guess they could, but IMO they aren't as good as that 2010 team.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

It's one thing to tear down and rebuild as in Oakland. This is not that.

It's another thing to give inexperienced players game snaps once a team is eliminated from the playoffs. This is not yet that.

Winning and losing are habits. Creating a situation designed to lose establishes a very bad habit. No draft pick is worth that.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Promote Pettine and bring in Marty Morninweg, Scott Linehan or Jim Bob Cooter after they are released.

I am NOT down with this. I want the Packers to embrace the modern NFL, that does not involve following the scared NFL model of hiring re-tread NFL coaches.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you think people are wrong about MM? People are rooting for the team to get rid of MM. Unfortunately, based on the way the NFL tends to work, that means missing the playoffs. If my options are:

or

I'll take B every time.

Who says we have to miss the playoffs to fire a coach? Did the Broncos not get rid of John Fox after a 12-4 season and a divisional round loss? I'd like to see that type of urgency to improve, despite Aaron being younger than Manning was at the time.

H

HardRightEdge

I am NOT down with this. I want the Packers to embrace the modern NFL, that does not involve following the scared NFL model of hiring re-tread NFL coaches.
Sure. But who doesn't like saying "Jim Bob ******"?

The Forum software stuck those *'s in there, not me. That's odd since it did not do that to others, and it's not a little funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

You're comparing 2010, when MM was still a great coach with proven talent to 2018, when he's a proven mediocre coach who had to be forced into playing his third best offensive player (jones) and has consistently cost the team games for years with game mismanagement, conservative playcalling, and a refusal to admit his "QB room" is nonsense? Because I gotta be honest, that analogy just doesn't hold up. But, in answer to your question, no, no I wouldn't have wanted that.

You're using hindsight to evaluate the 2010 team though. I agree they seemed to be a more competitive team after nine weeks than this year's squad but you never know what happens once a team gets into the playoffs.

It's ridiculous to suggest that fans should root for their team to miss the postseason because of having the impression not being able to make a run in January after week 10.

As another example the New York Giants defense was ranked 28th in points allowed after week 15 of the 2011 season but from there on allowed an average of 14 points over six games against elite offenses to win the Super Bowl. I guess their fans wanted Coughlin to be fired at that point as well.

If memory serves me correct, the Packers also "got healthy" towards the end of that season. 2 of their losses in weeks 14 and 15 (Lions and Pats) were games played without Rodgers, who had suffered a concussion in the first half of the Lions game.

The Packers had 15 players on injured reserve at the end of the 2010 season. Of course thst year being an uncapped one helped replacing those guys.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sure. But who doesn't like saying "Jim Bob ******"?

The Forum software stuck those *'s in there, not me That's odd since it did not do that to others, and not a little funny.

Just have to type C00ter to get around what it must be deeming a "dirty" word. Someone needs to clean their C00ter out!

:coffee: instead of putting the letter "o" use the number keypad and select "0"

H

HardRightEdge

Just have to type C00ter to get around what it must be deeming a "dirty" word. Someone needs to clean their C00ter out!

:coffee: instead of putting the letter "o" use the number keypad and select "0"
Yeah, I know what ****** means, which is why it was not a little funny. Using "0" is no fun. ;)

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers had 15 players on injured reserve at the end of the 2010 season. Of course thst year being an uncapped one helped replacing those guys.
That IR list does make the accomplishiment all the more remarkable, though a couple of those players were addition by subtraction in my estimation:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2010_injuries.htm

Getting Harris and Starks back off PUP for the run was critical.

Toward the start of the season, the Packers had the 7th. highest payroll:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...alary-cap-numbers-if-there-were-a-salary-cap/

They would have moved up in those rankings when all was said and done goven all of the injury replacements. Still, they would not have gotten close to Dallas or Washington. Both of those teams were subsequently penalized by the league for going over an unofficial cap. Money can buy happiness, but it is not necessarily so. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers manage to win 10 games this season it'll mean they were 7-1 in the 2nd half of the season and would in all likelihood be one of the absolute hottest teams going into the POs....... Only on this board would people say that's bad

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You mean like how the Patriots hired the re-tread Belichick?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
If the Packers manage to win 10 games this season it'll mean they were 7-1 in the 2nd half of the season and would in all likelihood be one of the absolute hottest teams going into the POs....... Only on this board would people say that's bad
And also would be one of the 2-3 favorites among the 12 playoff teams to win the Super Bowl.

Members online

Latest posts