This looks like a disaster

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don’t really disagree.... I just can’t imagine McCarthy sticking around if he has been told by Murphy that he is not really in charge.

TT did ;)

I agree with you though. MM is an offensive kind of guy and to strip him of play calling is something that might make him say "F*ck it, I'm headed to Cleveland!".

I've been a MM supporter, but have been on the fence about his play calling for years, this year hasn't changed my mind. Kind of like Capers, I think the game has passed him by a bit and the Packers offense could use a reboot with new ideas and new energy from the guy calling them, MM + Philbin doesn't seem to be the answer thus far.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know how you absolutely 100% guarantee you don't make the Super Bowl? Don't make the playoffs.

Until they are completely out of it, I hope they win every game regardless of their perceived chances in the playoffs.

But once they are out of it just lose baby right.

I certainly understand that mentality. Once the playoffs are out of the question winning just takes away from the draft position and winning just might keep a coach around so fans root for losses. I just can't feel that way. I will root for them to win every game with one possible exception.

If the Packers are eliminated and a loss by them will definitely keep the vikings or the cowboys out of the playoffs I may find myself rooting against them. More likely I will still root for them to win but if they lose I won't be too upset.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I will fully admit, there have been times where I have been quietly hoping for a Packer loss, if they are out of the playoffs and it improves draft position.

Let's just say yesterday was the end of the regular season, I would have been pulling for a Dolphin win. Instead of picking 17th in every round, the Packers would have been picking 12th in every round.

If Week 17 rolls around and a loss means getting the #1 pick, instead of the #2, 3 or 4......."Go Lions!"

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hmm....MM is a stale play caller if Philbin is being trumped at every moment...who knows. I think the head coach is responsible for the entire package. Considering he was ok with a DC for 4 years of porous D, and special teams coaches and units that ranked really low, along with a HOF QB being bounced on a regular basis it all points to average. Is there another head coach out there that would bring that trend up in all categories? I hate to say it, but the answer is yes.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you a first grader. Your grammar sucks.
If you’re going to ask a question, try and use proper punctuation. I’ll assume you were asking one so, no, I’m not a first grader. And yes, my grammar does suck.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Are you a first grader. Your grammar sucks.

If you’re going to ask a question, try and use proper punctuation. I’ll assume you were asking one so, no, I’m not a first grader. And yes, my grammar does suck.

Puts a dunce cap on both of you and sends you to the corner for a timeout! :inlove:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hey, my grammar might suck, but at least my composition is jumpy, long winded and hard to follow most times.
I just blame it on those fat fingers of yours! Plus, I am very fluent in typonese!

Side Note: Grammar and Spell Check Police Sack

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could have quoted anyone, but yours was most convenient ;)

and if by some miracle, this team pulls it together and wins a SB...."Fire MM" still?

Not saying it will happen, but with all the MM hate out there right now, seems like that might be some "Packer fans" worst nightmare. ;)

No, if they win the Super Bowl because Rodgers covers up MM's conservative, traditional coaching, then I'll be happy they won but ticked that MM will become the coaching equivalent of Joe Flacco.

If you want to see why MM is not the great offensive coach many want him to be, just look at what the Saints manged to get out of Taysom Hill and you'll see why MM needs to go.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately many posters around here seem happier when they have someone to hate for something. I do think McCarthy could improve some of his most stubborn tendencies, but I am not enthusiastic at all about rolling the dice with the last years of Aaron Rodgers and bringing in a whole new head coach and system. I think McCarthhy has a lot of positive attributes that many in here want to ignore. Could he be better? Sure. Anyone could. But anyone old enough to have watched football for more than The Favre/Rodgers era should know that we are more likely to find a coach that isn’t as good as what we have. I don’t expect to change anyone’s mind... nor will I respond to the inevitable rebuttal this is going to get. I will just say this is my opinion... It could be wrong... but personally, I’m hoping we don’t have to test it.

Fear of finding a worse coach isn't a good reason to keep around a mediocre coach. Teams don't count on Alex Smith to win a Super Bowl, they sign Smith in desperation while looking for better; the Packers shouldn't be happy with the Alex Smith of coaches.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never have and never will root for the Packers to lose. I watch every game rooting for a win. I just can't fathom anything else.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a weird thread, but some points are good. I believe athletes in any sport always, or at least almost always, play to win the game they’re in. For example, I don’t think the 1-8 Raiders are going to “throw” games to make sure they get the first draft pick. They may instead play more guys to give them a tryout in a real NFL game, and care more about what they learn than whether or not they win. But even that is dangerous becasue fans are paying for their tickets to see their team’s best effort, not to chase a draft pick.

As for the Packers, I’d be delighted with a 10-win season. That’s no small order considering it means winning 6 of the next 7 games. But I certainly don’t want them to lose so we move up a draft pick or two, no thanks. And I’ve made no secret that I’d like to see a new HC in GB, but I’d gladly “settle” for a SB victory and keeping MM at least another year.

As for how the Packers get to the playoffs, much less the SB, I’m only focused on Thursday night in Seattle. One immediate win is easier to hope for than a 10 win season. As for the teams that are flying high now, well, we all should know that it only matters who is playing well in late December. If memory serves, the Packers were the sixth seed in 2010 when they won it all. And in 2011, the Giants were 9-7, made the playoffs, and knocked off the 15-1 Packers at Lambeau. And the Giants, ever the David to whoever is Goliath, prevented the 18-0 Pats from completing a perfect season. Lots of things can happen. Let’s go get Pete and the Hags first.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one should worry about the Saints - they look exactly like the 2011 Packers.
Good point. They can lose to a team with a top 5 defense, or any team that can keep them under 21-24 points. And yeah, I remember the 2011, 15-1 Packers. One and done.

BTW, which team is currently ranked first in defense? Seems like all the focus has been on offense this year with the Saints, Chiefs, Rams all putting up a lot of points. I’m wondering who has the best D right now. My guess is that it’s the Chiefs, but I’ve been wrong before.......

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t really disagree.... I just can’t imagine McCarthy sticking around if he has been told by Murphy that he is not really in charge.
Good point. MM is too stubborn and too vain to let anyone else call the plays. That’s one of the problems with MM as HC. He’s really a glorified OC. Makes me wonder what role Philbin has in the offense. I’d Rather have a HC focused on on ALL aspects of the game, offense, defense, and STs. I don’t think BB calls the plays in NE, and like him or not, we can’t argue with the results NE has produced.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez, it's mind-boggling that fans prefer the Packers to lose instead of having to admit being wrong about the head coach.

So you think people are wrong about MM? People are rooting for the team to get rid of MM. Unfortunately, based on the way the NFL tends to work, that means missing the playoffs. If my options are:

A) Make the playoffs and lose in round one and then watch MM sign an extension and ruin more years of Rodgers' career
or
B) Packers miss the playoffs and replace the current under-performing coach with a modern coach who takes advantage of the best QB on the planet

I'll take B every time.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point. They can lose to a team with a top 5 defense, or any team that can keep them under 21-24 points. And yeah, I remember the 2011, 15-1 Packers. One and done.

BTW, which team is currently ranked first in defense? Seems like all the focus has been on offense this year with the Saints, Chiefs, Rams all putting up a lot of points. I’m wondering who has the best D right now. My guess is that it’s the Chiefs, but I’ve been wrong before.......

By DVOA (adjusted by opponent) the Bears have the best defense in football right now (Mack was certainly not worth it!). Of the elite teams in the NFL, the Pats are the highest at 16, Rams are 20th, Chiefs 25th, and Saints 27th.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts