The Premature Assessment of LeFluer's First Season

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Rodgers overriding some play calls in the huddle? I bet it has happened. Every QB worth his salt does it. The question is how often and I don't believe it is that often. Way too much was made out of that with McCarthy.
That was only ever made out to be an issue because we were losing.

Good interview with Z Dog today and how the defense has meshed together over the course of the season.
Let's hope it all comes together at the right time.

H

HardRightEdge

It was part of the reason the Packers lost over the past two seasons as well though.
Overriding play calls in the huddle, the specific point that was made, has nothing to do with anything. Sean Peyton has said Brees does it all the time, laughing it off. Peyton Manning was the de facto offensive coordinator in Indianapolis. QBs called their own plays before helmet speakers. When truth is told, franchise QBs override plays in the huddle from time to time, some more than that. It is simply how it is. And even if not done explicitly in the huddle, then at times in their progression, as Mr. Favre has told us his first look was always deep. And is that huddle override really much different, glancing at the defensive personnel while in the huddle, than audibling at the line? I think not. This so-called aspect of the 2018 dysfunction is a manufactured controversy that had nothing to do with losing.

If you think Rodgers was not overriding plays in the huddle when the team was winning you'd be kidding yourself.

As for the last two seasons, it should be worth recalling that Rodgers started 2017 @ 4-1. It was Hundley that followed with 3-5, with a rusty Rodgers with a bum throwing shoulder coming back for one game before elimination with two games left.

That leaves you with 2018 to consider. The QB calling into question the game plan in post-game interviews or caught on tape mouthing "stupid f*cking play" on the field are not good looks, to be sure. I was in particular disappointed with Rodgers not putting some responsibility on himself initially before dialing it back.

Rodgers is not the same player without his mobility, which was the case for most of last season with the gimped up knee. That has as much to do with losing as anything else.

But in retrospect, given the player council's subsequent assessment that McCarthy failed to demand accountability, which encompasses a whole lot of things, together with this season's turnaround, if Rodgers going outside the lines was instrumental in getting McCarthy fired then it might be worth considering whether it was something that needed to be done that nobody else could accelerate so acutely.

Last edited by a moderator:

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This season's turnaround has more to do with the D than the offense. I think McCarthy has been at least somewhat vindicated this season.

H

HardRightEdge

This season's turnaround has more to do with the D than the offense. I think McCarthy has been at least somewhat vindicated this season.
McCarthy was the head coach, not the offensive coordinator. Other factors were involved.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was part of the reason the Packers lost over the past two seasons as well though.
Was it? Or was it a reaction to losing, or to McCarthy's increasingly ineffective playcalling - a symptom rather than a cause? Or perhaps it was business as usual as HardRightEdge says, and it just became an issue because we were losing.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy was the head coach, not the offensive coordinator. Other factors were involved.
I do not think MM was vindicated. There are other factors as you said. I think game management has a lot to do with it. MM had a horrible track record especially going into halftime. It is only one season but except for the end of the Philly game and the end of the first half of the Carolina game LaFleur appears to have pushed the right buttons. MM was notorious for calling timeouts in order to get the ball back even when the opponent was willing to sit on it and go to halftime. It often backfired and they scored instead of us. Then when our defense was gassed late in the game and needed a TO he would not relent. MM had this weakness of believing his team was better than it was whether it was the offense, defense, or special teams. Just last year he opted to punt late in a game in Seattle thinking his 2019 defense could stop the run and force a 3 and out. And in that same Seattle in the championship he has Rodgers just hand the ball off and make them use their Tos because he believed his defense was good enough and his special teams would never blow an onside kick. Losing football as ARod said.

D

Deleted member 6794

Overriding play calls in the huddle, the specific point that was made, has nothing to do with anything. Sean Peyton has said Brees does it all the time, laughing it off. Peyton Manning was the de facto offensive coordinator in Indianapolis. QBs called their own plays before helmet speakers. When truth is told, franchise QBs override plays in the huddle from time to time, some more than that. It is simply how it is. And even if not done explicitly in the huddle, then at times in their progression, as Mr. Favre has told us his first look was always deep. And is that huddle override really much different, glancing at the defensive personnel while in the huddle, than audibling at the line? I think not. This so-called aspect of the 2018 dysfunction is a manufactured controversy that had nothing to do with losing.

If you think Rodgers was not overriding plays in the huddle when the team was winning you'd be kidding yourself.

As for the last two seasons, it should be worth recalling that Rodgers started 2017 @ 4-1. It was Hundley that followed with 3-5, with a rusty Rodgers with a bum throwing shoulder coming back for one game before elimination with two games left.

That leaves you with 2018 to consider. The QB calling into question the game plan in post-game interviews or caught on tape mouthing "stupid f*cking play" on the field are not good looks, to be sure. I was in particular disappointed with Rodgers not putting some responsibility on himself initially before dialing it back.

Rodgers is not the same player without his mobility, which was the case for most of last season with the gimped up knee. That has as much to do with losing as anything else.

But in retrospect, given the player council's subsequent assessment that McCarthy failed to demand accountability, which encompasses a whole lot of things, together with this season's turnaround, if Rodgers going outside the lines was instrumental in getting McCarthy fired then it might be worth considering whether it was something that needed to be done that nobody else could accelerate so acutely.

I wasn't talking about Rodgers changing plays at the LOS being the reason the Packers lost during the last two seasons of McCarthy's tenure as the head coach.

It seemed that MM couldn't reach the locker room anymore which definitely was part of the reason for the team not making the playoffs though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The nine top 12 scoring defenses faced this season is the most the Packers have played against since Rodgers became the starter in 2008.

As a comparison, they only faced one (the 12th ranked Chiefs) during their record setting campaign in 2011.

This right here everyone...this is one of the most telling facts of this season for sure.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good points this season.
1. No prima donna players
2. Canned players who were out of shape and always hurt. He created a culture of you have to play to earn your starting job.
3. He gave the ball to his best weapons in Jones and Adams which MM didn't do with Jones.
4. He doesn't hand playing time to high draft picks. Makes guys earn it just like he does with being in shape.
5. He will bench guys and doesn't seem to value loyalty over production.

Poor Aspects of his performance
1. Team rarely played hard for 4 quarters and often had multiple quarters where they were flat.
2. Failed to consistently get the rb involved in the passing game even after the TE position showed it couldn't get the job done.
3. Didn't call plays well after the scripted plays were done. Packers often looked good for a series or two and then didn't adjust well when the other team made adjustments.

In other words, he was great in the culture aspects of the job, rather poor in strategy and mediocre as a motivator.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
MLF has had his ups and downs but has been pretty successful for a first year coach compared to coaches who have been around for years and some soon to be unemployed....

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The nine top 12 scoring defenses faced this season is the most the Packers have played against since Rodgers became the starter in 2008.

As a comparison, they only faced one (the 12th ranked Chiefs) during their record setting campaign in 2011.
I wasn't aware of that. It sounds good for this season, but it makes the 2011 offense seem a little less impressive. On the other hand, maybe we put so many points up on teams that we knocked them out of the top 12 :)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It worked the other way around vs. the Lions though.

I've said this a few time over the course of the season. I don't think MLF needs to completely pass over the play calling to Rodgers, but I do think they need to at least jump start the offense on occasion by going uptempo and letting Rodgers call the plays for the entire series.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did MM give his veteran players rest days during the week like MLF does? This might be a reason why we are healthier this year than we've been in the past?

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I like the idea of 50-50 play calling between QB and HC one see’s it on the field at that moment than on the sidelines, and a plan can be made right there I like it better than communicating from the booth..

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I like the idea of 50-50 play calling between QB and HC one see’s it on the field at that moment than on the sidelines, and a plan can be made right there I like it better than communicating from the booth..

Agreed and personally, I think this is one of the bigger problems with the offense.

It seems pretty obvious, at least to me, that the process that the Packers have been using to get plays called, the correct players substituted in, huddled up, get to the line and snap the ball needs to be improved. Too often, Rodgers seems rushed and left very little time to study the defense and audible out if he feels its necessary.

I'm not sure if this is happening due to MLF being in his first year as HC, the new offense, the inexperience of some of the WR's or a combination of all 3. Whatever it is, around mid season, MLF talked about it needing to be improved, but I haven't seen any improvement.

If it means Rodgers calling more of his own plays, then so be it. Take advantage of Rodgers brain and get him to the LOS faster so that he has time to look over the defense and proceed accordingly.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Did MM give his veteran players rest days during the week like MLF does? This might be a reason why we are healthier this year than we've been in the past?
Yes, especially guys fighting nagging injuries. Or the really senior - double digit experience guys

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed and personally, I think this is one of the bigger problems with the offense.

It seems pretty obvious, at least to me, that the process that the Packers have been using to get plays called, the correct players substituted in, huddled up, get to the line and snap the ball needs to be improved. Too often, Rodgers seems rushed and left very little time to study the defense and audible out if he feels its necessary.

If that means Rodgers calling more of his own plays, then so be it. Take advantage of Rodgers brain and get him to the LOS faster so that he has time to look over the defense and proceed accordingly.
MLF seems to change up the personnel every play which takes time and slows whatever up-tempo offense exists. To run the up-tempo, MM would run mostly the same grouping unless the situation called for something else. As long as he was getting 3-5 yards per play, the same players stayed on the field. 3&10 would obviously get a different package but not always especially if he was 3 wide already.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
MLF seems to change up the personnel every play which takes time and slows whatever up-tempo offense exists. To run the up-tempo, MM would run mostly the same grouping unless the situation called for something else. As long as he was getting 3-5 yards per play, the same players stayed on the field. 3&10 would obviously get a different package but not always especially if he was 3 wide already.

Agreed.

I don't think the Packers need to go completely up tempo all the time, but by doing it on occasion, other than the 2 minute drill, I believe could spark the offense. Whatever MLF decides to do, he definitely needs to figure out how to run his offense a lot quicker and smoother next season. At times, it almost feels like he is running an offense that has a Rookie QB behind the wheel and he is a bit nervous of letting him take full control.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not sure if this is happening due to MLF being in his first year as HC, the new offense, the inexperience of some of the WR's or a combination of all 3. Whatever it is, around mid season, MLF talked about it needing to be improved, but I haven't seen any improvement.

If it means Rodgers calling more of his own plays, then so be it. Take advantage of Rodgers brain and get him to the LOS faster so that he has time to look over the defense and proceed accordingly.
That may be coming.... This is Rodgers’ first year in this system as well. As smart as he is.. he might need a year in this offense before he is able to take on more of that responsibility.

Members online