The Premature Assessment of LeFluer's First Season

H

HardRightEdge

Going into this week the Packers had the most first possession TDs in the league. The Packers highest scoring quarter is the first, the second highest is the 3rd. Put this together with the fact plays and personnel have come in too late too often and I come to a conclusion.

LaFleur is good in game preparation and half time adjustments. Not so great at adjustments and counter-adjustments on the fly, a little slow on the uptake. He's a first year head coach with a lot of new stuff on his plate, and a second year play caller with a new team. Some of that sideline pondering should be expected. We'll see next year where he goes with it, whether it's a matter of experience or innately slow processing.

But if winning isn't everything, instead the only thing, then who can complain? This has been quite a turnoround from last season's dysfunction.

H

HardRightEdge

yup. amazing. i think it's better D, attitudes, chemistry. oh...and better health.
All that, but the health factor in particular can't be underestimated. SF had five defensive starters out in that loss to the Falcons. The Packers have been very fortunate in that regard, perhaps uniquely so this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

yup. amazing. i think it's better D, attitudes, chemistry. oh...and better health.

I don't care about the reasons behind it but would like fans to enjoy the run instead of *****ing about what's wrong with Rodgers or complaining about other weaknesses.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care about the reasons behind it but would like fans to enjoy the run instead of *****ing about what's wrong with Rodgers or complaining about other weaknesses.
some people have to have a reason to get out of bed everyday I guess...

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great words. I think I heard something similar years ago.
Our defense has a lot to do with most of our wins this season. Now they are not an elite group by any means. But the Packer defense has been so bad for so long even with a top offense that we are thrilled to see any improvement. So Gute and Petine must take some credit.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
On Petals...

The Good:
  • Offensive Design: While the offense has failed to find a rhythm, you can see how well it works when it is operated according to its design. Deficient pass catching talent is a problem, but the bigger issue is that Rodgers isn't really executing the scheme yet. He still tries to hold the ball and ad lib far too often.
  • Situational Football: The Packers aren't perfect by a long shot, but they are one of the best teams in the league at scoring touchdowns in the red zone and they are one of the toughest teams to score on in the same situation. Situational football is a huge success factor.
  • Culture: This is speculative, but it appears from the outside that Packer players are having more fun. Obviously winning is more fun than losing, but even before the season there was a lot of talk about how players were more comfortable and satisfied with the status of the locker room and practice field. Part of the credit for this should belong to Gutekunst for getting rid of players who were rumored to be an annoyance to team mates.
The Lucky:
  • Health: Petals' approach might help in this regard, but any time you're as healthy through a season as what the Packers have been, you're reaping the benefits of some good fortune.
  • One Score Games: The Packers are 5-1 in games decided for 7 points or fewer. Again, some of that is attributable to good coaching and the aforementioned situational football, but some of that is also luck.
The Bad:
  • Scheme Buy-In: The way I saw this season going was that the offense would stumble and sputter early, getting the team off to a rough start, record-wise, but would hit a stride late and the Packers would finish around 10 wins. The rough offensive start came true, but I didn't anticipate the defense carrying the load so effectively in the first part of the season. I also didn't anticipate the offense taking this long to click in. It's hard to say how much is on Petals and his coaching and how much is on Rodgers and his bad habits, but it is probably the biggest thing holding back the team at this point.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
every Packers fan is glad they're 11-3. how they got there, ways they could be better, why things are they way they are or aren't, will always be debated. there'll be disagreements. imagine if everyone was in lockstep cheerleader mode. ugh #justshootme lol

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that the main problem with the complaints about our team, is that they are being shared anonymously online instead of in a tavern after a beer or two.

I'm not sure that LeFluer deserves coach-of-the-year, but he's done more right than wrong for such a young coach. Luckily he has a good GM getting him players, has a DC from the prior year providing stability on one side of the ball, and he inherited a HOF quarterback. He's doing better than I expected but still has work to do.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
The Good:

Culture:
This is speculative, but it appears from the outside that Packer players are having more fun. Obviously winning is more fun than losing, but even before the season there was a lot of talk about how players were more comfortable and satisfied with the status of the locker room and practice field. Part of the credit for this should belong to Gutekunst for getting rid of players who were rumored to be an annoyance to team mates.

This is a good point. This Packer team in 2017 and even more in 2018 had all the enthusiasm of a funeral parlor. Rodgers festering frustration with MM had seemed to seep into the mindset of the team as a whole. The Packers had become Cutleresque, a head-hanging, sour-pussed kind of team. They were entering the realm of the Lions or Dolphins.

LaFleur has them playing hard. Players seem happy. It appears the players are self-motivated and playing for each other, as opposed to some phony "pound the rock" or "row the boat" hype.

Guys are not lounging in the hot tub either, as evidenced by all the healthy inactives. No one seems to be nursing injuries, they want to play through an injury if possible.

Also, they haven't crashed and burned after a bad loss like the Niners or Chargers game. They rebounded.

Lots of good signs the players are in tune with LaFleur.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While that's most likely true some fans act like the Packers are 3-11 though.
that's because they know what an 11-3 team should really look like. this 11-3 looks like 7-7. it can't be trusted. there's not excitement surrounding it like in the past. no confident anticipation. no belief. no one will be surprised/stunned if this team is one and done. they will have seen it coming. a super bowl win on the other hand...lol.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's always comical when people predicting losses every week despite the wins will tell us "they saw it coming" LOL

One thing is certain, there is a small group that will never give they team any more credit than what they have already determined in their mind. Every week it's the same, excuses for wins LOL. Just waiting and praying and hoping like heck for the next loss so they can come back and tell us all "they told us so" LOL

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

It's always comical when people predicting losses every week despite the wins will tell us "they saw it coming" LOL

One thing is certain, there is a small group that will never give they team any more credit than what they have already determined in their mind. Every week it's the same, excuses for wins LOL. Just waiting and praying and hoping like heck for the next loss so they can come back and tell us all "they told us so" LOL

I honestly don`t see them as Superbowl contenders from what I`ve seen this year....BUT.....I will be honest and say this team is going in the right direction and I`m proud of them.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

who's predicting loses every week?
every Packers fan knows their record is misleading, if they're being honest, and gives all credit to them for what they've done thus far. it's amazing. and i think you meant "reasons for" rather than "excuses for " wins. no fan would hope for a loss unless it would benefit the team in some way...say draft position or to set up a better matchup in the playoffs. and then it's not really hope but rather indifference to a loss. afterall...the big picture is the thing. not the moment.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I used excuses for a reason. And there’s 2 in particular it was used for, they probably know exactly why too

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that the main problem with the complaints about our team, is that they are being shared anonymously online instead of in a tavern after a beer or two.

I'm not sure that LeFluer deserves coach-of-the-year, but he's done more right than wrong for such a young coach. Luckily he has a good GM getting him players, has a DC from the prior year providing stability on one side of the ball, and he inherited a HOF quarterback. He's doing better than I expected but still has work to do.
Smart words. Now where are we meeting for a beer?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
our rookie coach is taking this team to the playoffs,,,,just think about the what's to come in the next year or two!
Let's hope it's not beginner's luck, and that he can avoid the sophomore jinx.

Not many people see this team getting to the Super Bowl, but they have won 11 games, they must be doing something right. It just doesn't look like the Packer teams we've become accustomed to seeing, with the high powered offense and all. The leaky defense looks familiar, but they're actually top ten in scoring. For years, people thought we'd be a Super Bowl contender if we had a top ten defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

that's because they know what an 11-3 team should really look like. this 11-3 looks like 7-7. it can't be trusted. there's not excitement surrounding it like in the past. no confident anticipation. no belief. no one will be surprised/stunned if this team is one and done. they will have seen it coming. a super bowl win on the other hand...lol.

You have to understand that it's extremely tough to win in the NFL, that's not college football we're talking about.

The Packers haven't been perfect by any means but they have found different ways to win games.

While I don't consider them to be the favorites to win the NFC the other teams contending have issues as well.

The Seahawks being extremely lucky (10-1 in one score games), the Saints and Niners both losing to the Falcons and the Vikings strength of victory being by far the worst of the NFC contenders.

It's beyond my understanding how any Packers fan isn't excited about the team still competing for the #1 seed with two weeks left in the season after having missed the playoffs the past two years.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very true. I will say this. The Pack have found a way to hold on and win these games. The exception was the Eagles contest in which we botched up 2 goal line opportunities in the 4th quarter. Not sure why but I see a McCarthy team of the last 2 seasons choking and blowing these type of games. And as a result 7-7 or 8-8. Maybe the gods just helped us this season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts