The Premature Assessment of LeFluer's First Season

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said 13-3 in the preseason prediction poll. Did not expect may blow out wins. Figured most games to be 6-10 point games. Was hoping for better by now though.
good guess so far especially after seeing two years of crap and nothing in the preseason to base success on except personnel acquisitions we hoped would pan out.
their record this season is deceiving though based on how they've played and the eye test. they're mainly a first quarter team that does well with the scripted plays they practice all week but once that's done struggle with play calling, execution, and getting any sort of momentum. that's why i say they look like a 7-7 team. to their credit they manage to hang on more often than not though. someone not knowing them would see 11-3 and think they might be a well oiled machine. somehow things have fallen into place for them. they've been unusually lucky this year in some key areas. i hope it holds out. i'd rather they find some way, in the next two games, to get their mid/late game offensive woes ironed out. that could really lead to something.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good guess so far especially after seeing two years of crap and nothing in the preseason to base success on except personnel acquisitions we hoped would pan out.
their record this season is deceiving though based on how they've played and the eye test. they're mainly a first quarter team that does well with the scripted plays they practice all week but once that's done struggle with play calling, execution, and getting any sort of momentum. that's why i say they look like a 7-7 team. to their credit they manage to hang on more often than not though. someone not knowing them would see 11-3 and think they might be a well oiled machine. somehow things have fallen into place for them. they've been unusually lucky this year in some key areas. i hope it holds out. i'd rather they find some way, in the next two games, to get their mid/late game offensive woes ironed out. that could really lead to something.
Good job. I had them 7-9 this season.

D

Deleted member 6794

they're mainly a first quarter team that does well with the scripted plays they practice all week but once that's done struggle with play calling, execution, and getting any sort of momentum.

The Packers definitely practice other plays than the scripted ones to start the game during the week as well. It's tough to understand why they don't have success running them though.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Hey *****es,,,,,our rookie coach is taking this team to the playoffs,,,,just think about the what's to come in the next year or two!

Yeah, Mike McCarthy did the same, and look at your low opinion of him !! I wonder how long before you start criticizing MLF ?

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, Mike McCarthy did the same, and look at your low opinion of him !! I wonder how long before you start criticizing MLF ?

Just for the record, the Packers finished 8-8 during McCarthy's first season as head coach, missing the playoffs.

D

Deleted member 6794

I accept that Capt but McCarthy wasn`t the bust some people on here imply.....frequently

You're definitely right about that. Although it was time to move on from McCarthy last season Packers fans should appreciate the great work he did for most of his tenure with the team.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
You're definitely right about that. Although it was time to move on from McCarthy last season Packers fans should appreciate the great work he did for most of his tenure with the team.
It's no coincidence as well that, as Thompson regressed in his talent acquisition, McCarthy became less effective as a head coach as well. Combine that with, in my opinion, hanging on to Capers for too long, and the results aren't that surprising.

He'll get another opportunity somewhere, and he'll likely succeed.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's no coincidence as well that, as Thompson regressed in his talent acquisition, McCarthy became less effective as a head coach as well.
It was no coincidence that Rodgers wasn't very healthy the last couple of years either.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly MLF was the only other candidate besides McDermott in Buffalo....I mean MLF is literally going to become possibly one of VERY VERY select GB coaches with 13 wins in a season. A mark we have VERY RARELY reached in our storied franchise.

The fact there are still areas that need polished and systems cannot be fully established in a single year IMO. I for one think MLF met, exceeded any expectations or assessment grading you can place on him. A grade honestly no matter how we end up doing in the Playoffs, if not an A+.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LaFleur, in my opinion I think has already achieved success. I mean, even I in my optimism didn't see him getting us to 11-3 at this point, and 12-4 or 13-3 in year one and with work still to be done on offense got me thinking he'll be the guy to get AR12 his second ring. My one hope was to have something to build on this year, and I think we've done more than that.

While there's still some work to do, we just need to get the offense on par with the 1999 45ppg Rams and that superbowl is in the bag.

D

Deleted member 6794

While there's still some work to do, we just need to get the offense on par with the 1999 45ppg Rams and that superbowl is in the bag.

It's unrealistic to expect the current Packers offense to become one of the best units in league history. If the defense continues to perform at a top level they might be good enough though.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly MLF was the only other candidate besides McDermott in Buffalo....I mean MLF is literally going to become possibly one of VERY VERY select GB coaches with 13 wins in a season. A mark we have VERY RARELY reached in our storied franchise.

The fact there are still areas that need polished and systems cannot be fully established in a single year IMO. I for one think MLF met, exceeded any expectations or assessment grading you can place on him. A grade honestly no matter how we end up doing in the Playoffs, if not an A+.
I am baffled. MM had teams with more roster talent than this and were good to get 10. At any rate they are walking away with Ws

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I'm starting to ponder is, what LeFleur's success means for the coaching staff in 2020. While Pettine continues to say he has no desire to be a Head Coach again, I doubt Nathaniel Hackett feels the same way. Granted I'm not a fan of Hackett and some of the lesser guys on the staff, it's something intriguing to watch.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I am perfectly ok with being here on 2/2/20 talking about how the Packers shouldn't have won the Super Bowl. :coffee:

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think what MLF has done a tremendous job at is balancing being a coach and a people person. You can see that he is good at leveraging the relationships he has with his players and to get them to "buy in" to him and play hard for him (outside of California lol)

But that's true about ANY type of business, sport, and life anyways

Similarly, what has made me successful in business is leveraging relationships and people first...

So you see a similar approach with MLF

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am baffled. MM had teams with more roster talent than this and were good to get 10. At any rate they are walking away with Ws

I disagree. MM had better rosters offensively...not defensively. This is a more rounded team literally only missing a #2 reciever... other weaknesses sure or where upgrades could be used...but no glaring holes outside that. (I hear those if you saying a stud TE but still)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I disagree. MM had better rosters offensively...not defensively. This is a more rounded team literally only missing a #2 reciever... other weaknesses sure or where upgrades could be used...but no glaring holes outside that. (I hear those if you saying a stud TE but still)

I think this roster has pretty significant issues at WR (esp. of the speed/YAC variety), TE, 3 Technique (more recently mitigated by using Z inside more), and the entire off-ball LB corps.

Albert Park

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've changed my mind. Divisional Champions, Playoffs and a 12-3 record. For a 1st season head coach, got to be 9/10. Just win the Championship it's 10/10. Superbowl, Jesus, that'll be some hangover :cool::cool:

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers won more than 10 games in five of McCarthy's 13 seasons with the Packers, including a franchise record 15 in 2011.

In addition they won a Super Bowl as a wild card team after going 10-6.

What I'm starting to ponder is, what LeFleur's success means for the coaching staff in 2020. While Pettine continues to say he has no desire to be a Head Coach again, I doubt Nathaniel Hackett feels the same way. Granted I'm not a fan of Hackett and some of the lesser guys on the staff, it's something intriguing to watch.

I highly doubt the offense has been good enough for Hackett to receive any head coaching offers next offseason.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers won more than 10 games in five of McCarthy's 13 seasons with the Packers, including a franchise record 15 in 2011.

In addition they won a Super Bowl as a wild card team after going 10-6.

I highly doubt the offense has been good enough for Hackett to receive any head coaching offers next offseason.
Like I said MM had more talent. He even had Favre for 2 seasons while having the luxury to have a talented QB waiting in the wings.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've changed my mind. Divisional Champions, Playoffs and a 12-3 record. For a 1st season head coach, got to be 9/10. Just win the Championship it's 10/10. Superbowl, Jesus, that'll be some hangover :cool::cool:
Got to admit it. How he has done it I do not know. What I do know is that no other Packer head coach including Lombardi got this far in his first year unless it is Curly.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was the win on Monday more of a reflection on LeFluer or Pettine?
both! rodgers willingness to run MLF's O (mostly during the 2nd half). pettine dialing up more pressure (which he's done lately). the D certainly was the more dominant phase of the two but the O had some good moments. min's injury situation didn't hurt.

Members online