The Premature Assessment of LeFluer's First Season

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Similar to what the "experts" thought, I figured that we would struggle our way to a .500 start by mid-season, and then end up in the wildcard discussion at season's end. That seemed logical and satisfactory in my July 2019 brain.

I think that we can all agree that the Packers came out hotter than expected. We took a lump with Philly and got spanked by the Chargers and Rams on the road. Fast forward to the start of Week 15 and we are 10-3 but still not finding a rhythm on offense. Our defense keeps weaker teams in games until the end, but has a knack for ensuring victory at the buzzer. Both the offense and defense have shown the ability to play at elite levels this season, but are rarely firing at the right time.

I hear thoughts after our "ugly" win against Washington, that we will likely lose in the first round of the playoffs. That's a fair assessment if this team doesn't find a rhythm. In my mind, it would a different path of getting to the same or better result I predicted. When I put it in perspective that we are dealing with first and second year coaches on both sides of the ball, I am content. I would love to win it all but think that LeFleur's first season has been pretty successful so far. Even an 0-3 ending would be a 10-6 start to the LeFleur era. That would have sounded good to most of us back in July.

TEXPAC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with y’all but now that we are here, I am getting greedy......

D

Deleted member 6794

I think that we can all agree that the Packers came out hotter than expected. We took a lump with Philly and got spanked by the Chargers and Rams on the road. Fast forward to the start of Week 15 and we are 10-3 but still not finding a rhythm on offense. Our defense keeps weaker teams in games until the end, but has a knack for ensuring victory at the buzzer. Both the offense and defense have shown the ability to play at elite levels this season, but are rarely firing at the right time.

I hear thoughts after our "ugly" win against Washington, that we will likely lose in the first round of the playoffs. That's a fair assessment if this team doesn't find a rhythm. In my mind, it would a different path of getting to the same or better result I predicted. When I put it in perspective that we are dealing with first and second year coaches on both sides of the ball, I am content. I would love to win it all but think that LeFleur's first season has been pretty successful so far. Even an 0-3 ending would be a 10-6 start to the LeFleur era. That would have sounded good to most of us back in July.

I agree that Packers fans should consider the 2019 season a successful one based on preseason expectations. I understand some frustration about the offense underperforming and the defense not being able to live up to their dominance over the first few weeks of the year though.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Similar to what the "experts" thought, I figured that we would struggle our way to a .500 start by mid-season, and then end up in the wildcard discussion at season's end. That seemed logical and satisfactory in my July 2019 brain.

Agreed. I was with the forecasters. A 7-9 or 8-8 team was what I expected. We may not be great but the difference from the last 2 years is that these ugly wins were ugly losses.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think he's done a good job considering his constraints (mild personality, learning curve, team youth, lack of team depth, politics). luckily he's had a relatively healthy team (unusual for the Packers). team youth is a double edged sword (inexperience vs willingness to learn). gute did a great job acquiring the talent he could get vs the cap situation. they've made a good combination.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

i think he's done a good job considering his constraints (mild personality, learning curve, team youth, lack of team depth, politics). luckily he's had a relatively healthy team (unusual for the Packers). team youth is a double edged sword (inexperience vs willingness to learn). gute did a great job acquiring the talent he could get vs the cap situation. they've made a good combination.

MLF's approach to practice might be a factor in the team being healthy. It could be pure luck as well though.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One nice development is the relationship between AR and MLF. They seem to get along fine and this might be one of the reasons why the team is successful this year. AR isn't the same player he once was it appears he needs more talent at WR then he enjoys right now. All of the success we are having this year bodes well for us going forward in the near future.

Albert Park

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ve been really pleased with the season so far. But then again I’m easily pleased. All I was hoping we could achieve this season was at least the playoffs and barring an implosion I think this is achievable.

Good points are the rise of Aaron Jones, just hope he continues to progress. Lazard looks promising as well.

Defense wise, while Clay Matthews was a good servant in his time I think him going has helped the defense to improve, though we still have a few deficiencies.

if I had to give a rating, I’d say 6/10 so far. Win at least the conference then 8/10 :)

WillyP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you have Rodgers at QB I never expected a drop off from the MM era, even as a first year coach i expected them to be re-energized and do much better this year with the new system and make it far in to the playoffs...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has his last padded practice earlier in the week or something. But until this becomes a trend, it's just luck of the draw like every other year. Some years are more healthy than others, for everyone.

D

Deleted member 6794

I’ve been really pleased with the season so far. But then again I’m easily pleased.

if I had to give a rating, I’d say 6/10 so far. Win at least the conference then 8/10 :)

I'm not so sure you're easily pleased if you consider going to the Super Bowl with a new head coach only a 8 out of 10.

Albert Park

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Got to save 10/10 for winning the super bowl. But as a rookie head coach you've got to give him credit for the season :D

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How are their approaches different? Anybody know?
After today the one conclusion I am sure of is that LaFleur has proven he is a lot luckier than McCarthy. MM did not win this many survival type games in 12 years. LaFleur has done it in one. Keep it up.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Got to save 10/10 for winning the super bowl. But as a rookie head coach you've got to give him credit for the season :D

Rookie head coach is an automatic +2 on any rating scale. That goes down to +1 in the second year and then stays even at +0 for the next 4 years. After that it goes down automatically by -1 each ensuing season. A Super Bowl appearance increases it to +1 for the following season while a Lombardi Trophy increases it to +2 for the following season.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you have Rodgers at QB I never expected a drop off from the MM era, even as a first year coach i expected them to be re-energized and do much better this year with the new system and make it far in to the playoffs...
yup. no drop off. the O is just as bad now as it was then. lol

Reaction score
Right now I’ve got him somewhere between Mike Tomlin (playoff contender)!and Sean Payton/Jim Harbaugh level (NFC game Contender).

MLF winning out and getting the Packers a bye week and Division game at home would increase his voter stock immensely.
If he makes an NFC appearance he’s in extremely good company with Jim Mora, Rex Ryan, Jim Harbaugh, Sean Payton, etc.. but his ceiling is still Jim Caldwell/George Seifert (although Seifert was afforded the Champion team Bill Walsh walked away from.

Last edited: