The Free Agency Thread

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute is screwed either way. Half the fan-base was will say he should've spent up to get these guys and the other half will say he overpaid if he does. I don't feel bad for the guy as he's cashing some pretty sweet checks I'm sure but it really is a tough gig to please the base. I can't wrap my head around SW getting 48 for 3. Robinson is the guy I was intrigued by but he's out of the mix too at this point. It's so hard to say what I would've done in Gute's position. I like to think I would've kept my cool and not reached but being my first year and wanting to make a splash I'm not sure.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers definitely have to improve their pass rush as well.
Agreed, but if they move forward with Matthews, I can see that coming through a rotational guy. Most likely a first round rookie, drafted to eventually replace Clay.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like Graham is the top priority for the Saints

Jay Glazer‏Verified account @JayGlazer 32m32 minutes ago
With Brees done, saints know what their cap, still want a 3-technique and DB but jimmy graham reunion is top priority if they can pull off

Other TE news

Packers have reached out to Ed ****son

Josina Anderson‏Verified account @JosinaAnderson 7m7 minutes ago
I'm told the #Falcons and the #Packers, along with some other teams, have preliminary interest in #Panthers impending free agent TE Ed ****son, per source

Lions seem like a favorite to land Burton. They have been clearing cap space and trying to move Ebron

Mike Garafolo‏Verified account @MikeGarafolo 20h20 hours ago
I expected there to be a robust market for Eagles TE Trey Burton and it sounds like there is. About a half dozen serious suitors, sources say. One I've heard consistently for over a week now: Detroit Lions.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, but if they move forward with Matthews, I can see that coming through a rotational guy. Most likely a first round rookie, drafted to eventually replace Clay.

I think we'll definitely draft an edge, although I don't know if it it'll be in the 1st anymore.

I also think Biegel and Reggie Gilbert will be better than some expect.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we'll definitely draft an edge, although I don't know if it it'll be in the 1st anymore.

I also think Biegel and Reggie Gilbert will be better than some expect.

The problem at OLB is we like impact guys. Clay and Perry are solid when healthy but rarely are fully healthy and they are getting older and are expensive. The young guys are just unproven. It is a bad year to need an OLB because free agency and the draft are weak

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see anything ridiculous with his statement. They're badly overpaid, and no, they're not going to live up to those numbers again.
If Jordy is around 80 catches with 1K plus yards and 10+ TD's again, he's definitely worth it. And if some guy is going to say Watkins is crazy but paying Jordy is more crazy, it is a ridiculous statement. Watkins has never earned that amount of money. People think Randall isn't earning his money, his worst years are Sammy's average years

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Watkins is better than Jordy going forward. But I just dont think the Packers can justify that much money in the wr position.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute is screwed either way. Half the fan-base was will say he should've spent up to get these guys and the other half will say he overpaid if he does.
if you're paying the market price it's not overpaying. salaries don't go down. if he wants somebody who's better than what he has it's simple. I was hoping they'd get at least one great player out of free agency...at CB preferably. those guys were lost last week in lame trades. Packers have 12 picks I think but were nowhere to be found. now they're going to have to do something QUICK with someone who's left or be out in the cold. last week was a bad sign. this week will tell the story.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not what he was saying. He's saying if you think Watson is crazy money, than what's what they're paying for Nelson and Cobb called? Lot of 'if's ' with Jordy there.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Watkins is better than Jordy going forward. But I just dont think the Packers can justify that much money in the wr position.
if they think he's better than Jordy then it's simple. you sign Watkins and cut Jordy. better, faster, younger is your justification. there's no justification for NOT improving your team.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
maybe, but then he should be. Jordy is on the backside of his career. Watkins is what, 4 years in and hitting his prime. I'm not arguing that the Packers don't have a lot of money tied up in the WR position, but then 2 guys are finishing up contracts and the future just started his. It's not as bad as people make it out to be. If all 3 were just signed and we had dead cap galore tied up in them for the next 3-4 years yes, but one might be gone this year with little dead cap and both can be gone next year with zero hits and lots of money freed up like planned.

I made my statement that someone though it was more ridiculous to pay Randall and Jordy than to give Watkins 30 million guaranteed. I think that in itself is a ridiculous statement. Assuming health, i'll be very surprised if Jordy doesn't have a season worthy of his contract.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not what he was saying. He's saying if you think Watson is crazy money, than what's what they're paying for Nelson and Cobb called? Lot of 'if's ' with Jordy there.
There are lots of its every year. If someone stays healthy, if, if, if, if.

Jordy had a great season 2 years ago, and was on pace for just as good last year when the QB he has a mind meld with went down and was replaced with a guy that couldn't get the ball to anyone most times. I don't think Jordy just began to suck. he's not in his prime, but he's smart enough and has enough talent to still be very effective. Watkins doesn't have any any less "if's" tagged to him. He's been a 40 catch and 600 yard and a nice YPC guy. 30 million guaranteed he's going to become a 90 catch 1400 yd and 10+TD guy? don't sign me up for those if's, at least Jordy has earned his contract.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if they think he's better than Jordy then it's simple. you sign Watkins and cut Jordy. better, faster, younger is your justification. there's no justification for NOT improving your team.

Not really. If they move on from Jordy it could be to sign a position of greater need like cb. At wr we already have Adams and Cobb. At cb we have King and no one and King really hasnt proven a ton

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
maybe, but then he should be. Jordy is on the backside of his career. Watkins is what, 4 years in and hitting his prime. I'm not arguing that the Packers don't have a lot of money tied up in the WR position, but then 2 guys are finishing up contracts and the future just started his. It's not as bad as people make it out to be. If all 3 were just signed and we had dead cap galore tied up in them for the next 3-4 years yes, but one might be gone this year with little dead cap and both can be gone next year with zero hits and lots of money freed up like planned.

I made my statement that someone though it was more ridiculous to pay Randall and Jordy than to give Watkins 30 million guaranteed. I think that in itself is a ridiculous statement. Assuming health, i'll be very surprised if Jordy doesn't have a season worthy of his contract.

I may actually be agreeing with you to an extent. I have been fine with the Packers wrs going forward. I would rather restructure Jordy than cut him for Watkins at that price. More cap flexibility going forward and Jordy with Rodgers is pretty good.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really. If they move on from Jordy it could be to sign a position of greater need like cb. At wr we already have Adams and Cobb. At cb we have King and no one and King really hasnt proven a ton
I like King, but i'm worried about King. He had shoulder problems before, he had shoulder problems for us. 2 dislocations I think in college and then injured his first season in the pros. He's a press man guy, and you can't do that with 1 arm. It showed that year with Tramon and it showed with King last year. I really hope that is taken care of, or he'll never amount to much of anything for us.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Would like to see the Packers pass on Ed ****son. The rookie TE class is the best it has been in recent memory. We need a CB in FA or make a trade with the Eagles for Ronald Darby.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very little has been happening on the defensive side of the ball especially at cb. Still believe that is where the Packers need to make their signing or signings. There are quite a few guys who would be huge steps up for the packers - which isnt hard because we have so little there

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Very little has been happening on the defensive side of the ball especially at cb. Still believe that is where the Packers need to make their signing or signings. There are quite a few guys who would be huge steps up for the packers - which isnt hard because we have so little there

I know people are anxious to hear news about Packers signing this guy or that guy, but I don't think there is any need to panic. This seems to be how this goes every year. The overpaid cream gets skimmed off the top and it will be up to Gute and the Packers to find the best remaining values. This has worked and failed in the past, but so has signing the cream of the crop, which is a double whammy when that happens.

Latest posts