The Free Agency Thread

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I like King, but i'm worried about King. He had shoulder problems before, he had shoulder problems for us. 2 dislocations I think in college and then injured his first season in the pros. He's a press man guy, and you can't do that with 1 arm. It showed that year with Tramon and it showed with King last year. I really hope that is taken care of, or he'll never amount to much of anything for us.

I brought that up a while back, I think it was after I read this article. I really can't see how the Packers can bank on King being their #1 for a whole season, unless the latest surgery is more successful than the previous one he had. Waiting on judgement, but this could be another TT pick where I just have to SMH.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...lague-packers-rookie-cb-kevin-king/936148001/

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet
Ian Rapoport Retweeted Ian Rapoport

From earlier: Kirk Cousins got a 3-year, $86M or so fully guaranteed offer that he’ll likely sign after visiting the #Vikings. They believe they’ve got him.
I like this for us. Kirk Cousins is extremely overrated. I do not like how much he got paid, because the higher this price tag, the higher Rodgers becomes.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Good, so Cousins can throw us some game ending INTs next season.

Cousins going to the Vikings could be both good and bad news for the Packers

Good News:
  1. A team picking in the draft before the Packers who need a QB, didn't get him.
  2. More money tied up in the cap for the Vikings.
  3. Cousins is good, but IMO, not great.
Bad News:
  1. Vikings Offense just got better. I have to think Cousins is an upgrade over Keenum, Bradford or Bridgwater.
  2. If Cousins is the missing link for the Vikings offense, they have him for 3 years.
  3. Rodgers just guaranteed himself a few million more than Cousins $28.67M. Have to guess Rodgers yearly number is going to break the $30M mark.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless things change and we lose our minds with overpaying Watkins (who has never done anything to warrant 16M/yr) or Robinson (coming off end of year injury in game 1 for 14+M/yr).. lets get back to making our team better... find us a TE that can be used until our drafted one is able to take over, find us two decent CB's that won't be charging us 12+M/yr, and possibly sign Wilkerson (unfortunately looks like cash is being spent foolishly so we might be out of the running here)

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet
Ian Rapoport Retweeted Ian Rapoport

From earlier: Kirk Cousins got a 3-year, $86M or so fully guaranteed offer that he’ll likely sign after visiting the #Vikings. They believe they’ve got him.

Wow. Fully guaranteed. The shorter deal is nice for the Vikings I guess but that is a ton of money for a guy who is in the 10-15 range for qbs in the nfl

Rodgers
Brady
Brees
Wilson
Ryan
Big Ben
Stafford
Rivers

are all for sure better

Then you have Newton, Watson, Wentz, Alex Smith, Grappallo, Prescott, Carr, who is probably in the mix with.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good News:
  1. A team picking in the draft before the Packers who need a QB, didn't get him.
Bad News:
  1. Vikings Offense just got better. I have to think Cousins is an upgrade over Keenum, Bradford or Bridgwater.
  2. If Cousins is the missing link for the Vikings offense, they have him for 3 years.
  3. Rodgers just guaranteed himself a few million more than Cousins $28.67M. Have to guess Rodgers yearly number is going to break the $30M mark.

Keenum's qbr was 17 points higher than Cousins last year. Qb rating was 5 points higher. 3:1 td to int compared to 2:1. Took way less sacks. YPA almost identical. Not sure Cousins will really improve on what Keenum did

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cousins may be better than Keenum, but I doubt he will have a better year than the career year Keenum just had. I don't care at all they signed him, and I'm kind of glad they tied all that money up in him. They were going to be tough, and it hinges on their defense. Cousins or not. If they stay healthy there again, they'll be tough to beat. If they don't, they become like all the rest of us when their strengths go down with injury.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cousins is not that good!!!!!!! Like no one should be scared at all lol they are wasting money everyone can say the Vikings super bowl favorites cousins... pshhhh he made it to the playoffs what once maybe twice? I know they got a good defense and they can have a little better play in the qb but really unless they have a Aaron Rodgers type qb it’s the same I would be a little a worried if they got drew Brees tho lol

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Keenum's qbr was 17 points higher than Cousins last year. Qb rating was 5 points higher. 3:1 td to int compared to 2:1. Took way less sacks. YPA almost identical. Not sure Cousins will really improve on what Keenum did

I honestly didn't really follow much of what Washington did last year, how was the rest of their offense? Vikings have slowly put together a respectable offense and getting Cook back from injury should make it even better.

I would be shocked if Denver values Keenum higher than Cousins, but I guess we will find out when the numbers are released.

Edit: Just read that Denver is signing Keenum for around $18M/year.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good News:
Bad News:
They are going to have to pay quite a few good young players in the coming years or watch them walk.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know people are anxious to hear news about Packers signing this guy or that guy, but I don't think there is any need to panic. This seems to be how this goes every year. The overpaid cream gets skimmed off the top and it will be up to Gute and the Packers to find the best remaining values. This has worked and failed in the past, but so has signing the cream of the crop, which is a double whammy when that happens.
again...if it's the market price then it's not overpaying. last week jordy and cobb were overpaid. this week they're bargains. by waiting the Packers are only hurting themselves. last week simple trades could have fixed the cb situation. the best players are gone now. they'd better not wait much longer.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly didn't really follow much of what Washington did last year, how was the rest of their offense? Vikings have slowly put together a respectable offense and getting Cook back from injury should make it even better.

I would be shocked if Denver values Keenum higher than Cousins, but I guess we will find out when the numbers are released.

Edit: Just read that Denver is signing Keenum for around $18M/year.

Those are very good points. He hasnt always had a ton of talent but he hasnt been void of talent either. Another point is Minnesota did lose a very good offensive coordinator and is now going with the Philly qb coach who could be great but there will be a transition. I am not saying Cousins isnt better than Keenum. Just that I dont think Cousins puts up better numbers than Keenum did this past year. And I question if he is 10 million a year better for sure

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I almost view Denver signing Keenum similar to what the Bears did with Mike Glennon. They will still go after a QB in the draft and hope Keenum is adequate enough or a huge surprise, to get them through 2018. But I do think there is a big reason the Vikings didn't keep him around, he just isn't all that good.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I almost view Denver signing Keenum similar to what the Bears did with Mike Glennon. They will still go after a QB in the draft and hope Keenum is adequate enough or a huge surprise, to get them through 2018. But I do think there is a big reason the Vikings didn't keep him around, he just isn't all that good.
he was more than adequate last year and if he's better this year i don't think it'll be a huge surprise. i think he's just a late bloomer. they still have paxton lynch.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
again...if it's the market price then it's not overpaying. last week jordy and cobb were overpaid. this week they're bargains. by waiting the Packers are only hurting themselves. last week simple trades could have fixed the cb situation. the best players are gone now. they'd better not wait much longer.

I understand what you are saying, especially when it comes to positions of absolute need, like the CB position. Do we know that the Packers weren't in the conversation for trying to trade for any of those guys? So far the FA's being talked about in the last 24 hrs are mainly WR's, QB's and other positions where the Packers aren't that needy. I think the numbers coming out for FA WR's has definitely opened some eyes and maybe fans who were screaming for Jordy and Cobb to be cut, will realize why they weren't, until at least after this all plays out.

But there are still plenty of quality FA's left on the market and I don't think Gute is in Bermuda somewhere just checking his twitter feed once in awhile. The signings for the Packers will happen, they just may not be the big names everyone drools over.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol, I think I may have witnessed my first cliff jumper of the free agent season.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cousins getting 28M/yr is going to hurt the Vikings with the needing of signing their other stars... Barr, Diggs, and Kendricks are all on last year of their contracts and will most likely get paid well. Barr in the 13-15+M/yr range, Diggs in the 12-15M/yr range, and Kendricks in the 11M/yr range... That is somewhere in the 35-40M/yr between those 3 on top of the 28M that Cousins is getting... There would need to be some serious movement to make all that happen with all of the other defensive players (Smith, Rhodes, Joseph, And Griffen) already making 10+M/yr.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
he was more than adequate last year and if he's better this year i don't think it'll be a huge surprise. i think he's just a late bloomer. they still have paxton lynch.

Everything I have read about Paxton Lynch, the Broncos have all but given up on the guy. Case Keenum was a guy that almost got the hook a few times in Minnesota last year, because he really isn't great. I won't discount that he could improve, but I think the Vikings letting him walk kind of tells you how they feel about that. Somewhere I read a perfect quote about Keenum, it was something like "He was given the keys to the families Ferrari and did everything he could just not to crash it".

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Cousins is not that good!!!!!!! Like no one should be scared at all lol they are wasting money everyone can say the Vikings super bowl favorites cousins... pshhhh he made it to the playoffs what once maybe twice? I know they got a good defense and they can have a little better play in the qb but really unless they have a Aaron Rodgers type qb it’s the same I would be a little a worried if they got drew Brees tho lol
We’ve seen this happen before. Remember Jay Cutler?

Latest posts