The Free Agency Thread

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends on what the Packers plan on doing in Free Agency. If they signed Graham and Robinson, without cutting Cobb and or Nelson, close the offices until the draft.

The cost of Graham is basically going to be either cutting Nelson or Cobb. Robinson and Watkins should come cheaper than the savings of cutting one of them.

Obviously, signing a medium to high priced FA WR means either Jordy or Cobb are gone. I would rather have Burton and Robinson/Watkins and let Cobb go. I still think Jordy is more likely to work out a new cap friendly deal and can provide the Packers with 2-3 more years of solid football.

What if gute seals the deal on all the free agents he's rumored to be in on. Sign Johnson for 10 million, graham for 8 million, Wilkerson for 6 million and Watkins for 6 million per year. Even if those were their respective cap numbers by restructuring nelson and signing Matthews to an extension that cuts his cap number you could free up 10 million in cap space. Then trade or release Cobb and you're at roughly 40 million in cap space. Subtracting the 30 million the 4 free agents got youre still 10 million under the cap. And you've lost only cobb while adding a deep threat receiver, a seam stretching tight end, a pass rushing 5 technique, and a solid corner. You could also cut Lance Kendricks and Jake Ryan to free up a further 3 million and those 2 spots on the roster could be upgraded with draft picks.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sammy Watkins will sign a three-year, $48 million ($30 million guaranteed) with the Chiefs. I'm glad the Packers didn't spend crazy money like that on him.

mark82

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we are going to target a receiver I'd be tempted to take a gamble on one of the following (at the right (low) price obviously)...

Donte Moncrief
Paul Richardson
Terrelle Pryor
Marqise Lee
Taylor Gabriel
Quincy Enunwa

D

Deleted member 6794

If we are going to target a receiver I'd be tempted to take a gamble on one of the following (at the right (low) price obviously)...

Donte Moncrief
Paul Richardson
Terrelle Pryor
Marqise Lee
Taylor Gabriel
Quincy Enunwa

Gabriel is the only one out of that list I would be moderately interested in. The Packers would be better off to hold on to Nelson and Cobb though.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gonna have their work cut out for them getting impact players, but really, anybody comfortable with the deal Watkins got?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gonna have their work cut out for them getting impact players, but really, anybody comfortable with the deal Watkins got?

Heck no, that is a nutso number, but it happens every year. People get excited about some guy they think should be cheap only to find out his actual market value is twice what they thought.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, that is surprising.

But I am shocked what Robinson got. Guy only had 1 good season. Next season he sucked - rumored to be partying a lot. Then the injury. And bears gave him over $14M/yr? That is just stupid. When I projected him in my mock I thought $7-8M for 1 year prove it deal.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man is Adams's contract looking better. He has been way more consistent than Robinson and Watkins and the per year average is about the same for Robinson and Watkins is getter more. Not sure on gaurantees

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Replacing Cobb with Gabriel would be a good move. He’s a much faster slot receiver. Could we get him for less than 10 million for next year? Cobb is 3 million against the cap so I wouldn’t want to spend more than 10 against the cap this year and could maybe backload his contract?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
lol...looks like Cobb and Nelson aren't going anywhere or taking pay cuts with the $ exploding for WRs.

That was my first thought when I saw Watkins and Robinson's new contract numbers. As a lot of us have been saying, Jordy and Cobb may appear to be overpaid, but not by nearly as much as some would want to think.

D

Deleted member 6794

Replacing Cobb with Gabriel would be a good move. He’s a much faster slot receiver. Could we get him for less than 10 million for next year? Cobb is 3 million against the cap so I wouldn’t want to spend more than 10 against the cap this year and could maybe backload his contract?

There's no way the Packers should offer Gabriel a contract averaging close to $10 million. He has only 68 receptions over the last two seasons which is only two more than Cobb had in 2017.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
There's no way the Packers should offer Gabriel a contract averaging close to $10 million. He has only 68 receptions over the last two seasons which is only two more than Cobb had in 2017.
If we could get him for less I’m all for it. He’s lightning fast and the Packers have the slowest receivers in the NFL. Adding speed give gift Rodgers the quick pocket pass option to open up the play book and prevent him from getting hit as much. The only real quick pass we have in our playbook is a Adams screen. Adding that quick slant option to a slot receiver would be nice.

He also actually gets somewhere when handed the ball off. Unlike when the Packers hand off the ball to Cobb, that is easily the worst play in the playbook.

D

Deleted member 6794

If we could get him for less I’m all for it. He’s lightning fast and the Packers have the slowest receivers in the NFL. Adding speed give gift Rodgers the quick pocket pass option to open up the play book and prevent him from getting hit as much. The only real quick pass we have in our playbook is a Adams screen. Adding that quick slant option to a slot receiver would be nice.

I would be in favor of the Packers adding speed at wide receiver but definitely not by signing Gabriel to a deal averaging $10 million as he wouldn't be an upgrade over either Nelson or Cobb.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sammy Watkins will sign a three-year, $48 million ($30 million guaranteed) with the Chiefs. I'm glad the Packers didn't spend crazy money like that on him.

How is he getting more than devante? His per year is more. Just 1 million less in gaurantees on a shorter deal. Crazy

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
These numbers are why the smart teams don't spend at the start of FA. You'll notice a trend here of habitually bad teams just throwing tons of money at bad decisions. They're like 21 year old boys with a lot of daddy's disposable income and a hard ******** on vacation in Vegas....nothing good ever happens.

As many expected, Green Bay will never jump out of the gate blowing their load. They will wait for the deals to come to them and the over spending phase of FA to calm down a little before making a jump.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
What if gute seals the deal on all the free agents he's rumored to be in on. Sign Johnson for 10 million, graham for 8 million, Wilkerson for 6 million and Watkins for 6 million per year. Even if those were their respective cap numbers by restructuring nelson and signing Matthews to an extension that cuts his cap number you could free up 10 million in cap space. Then trade or release Cobb and you're at roughly 40 million in cap space. Subtracting the 30 million the 4 free agents got youre still 10 million under the cap. And you've lost only cobb while adding a deep threat receiver, a seam stretching tight end, a pass rushing 5 technique, and a solid corner. You could also cut Lance Kendricks and Jake Ryan to free up a further 3 million and those 2 spots on the roster could be upgraded with draft picks.

Already the market is blowing your numbers up. As far as restructuring current players, that would always be a plus, but given what Watkins and Robinson just got paid, not so sure they have any leverage with Jordy. Cutting Lance Kendricks would be a mistake IMO. Cutting Jake Ryan frees up less than $2M and would also be a mistake IMO. Both Kendricks and Ryan provide relatively cheap depth at 2 positions that really don't currently have a lot of depth.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see any way the Packers sign a tier 1 type free agent, not at the money that is coming out with the cap space they have. Have to wait out the first wave and see what is there.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had some thoughts I was going to post, but then I went around checking for FA news, and saw Micheal Rodney's tweets on the Packers page at sportspyder. I hate to keep quoting the guy, but a lot of times he nails it on the head for me.
Try these on;
-"You know what's more ridiculous than paying $16M per for Watkins? Paying over $20M for Cobb and Nelson."
-If Gutekunst wants to sign a top free agent, he's going to have to overpay. Otherwise, get used to more players like Kendricks, House, and Jean Francois".