The day that time stood still...

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pictures that tell great stories: This one tell a story of the day that time stood still

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not bitter either, because it was a GOOD call. Yes, I saw the replay just like the refs did when they made the right call. The Packers won this important game on the field, despite repeatedly trying to give it away. The Packers are on the verge of setting an NFL record for most wins in a foes home stadium -- and yes it is at Lambeau South on the Lake.

The Packers have won 20 of the last 24 games with da bears. That is what you call dominance. da bears had quite a streak against the Packers heading into that game. It marked the end of that and the shift towards the dominance you have come to hate. 8)

Philtration said:
I am not bitter but that was a bad call. I saw the replay just like you did and the refs blew it. The Bears won that game and had it given to the Packers. By the way, the Bears won 6 of the next 8 games against the Packers so I really don't see the beginning of any dominance

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Majik is by far my favorite Packers player..and I've always felt his career could have turned out different if he obviously, didn't get hurt by Freddie Joe Nunn, but also if he were on a better Packer team that at least had a running game. The offensive line wasn't the greatest either.

Did you know he passed for over 4,000 yards in 1989 and came in second that year only to Joe Montana? This, to me, is an amazing feat since, as I've stated, the Pack had almost no running attack whatsoever, and every team knew this. He seemed to do it all just based on athletic ability, and the Packer receiver's ability to get open. I always thought he could have had a better career, and should have gotten more accolades, if he had a little bit better team around him. That's the way it goes, sometimes...

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreeing with 66...

P@ck66 said:
Majik is by far my favorite Packers player..and I've always felt his career could have turned out different if he obviously, didn't get hurt by Freddie Joe Nunn, but also if he were on a better Packer team that at least had a running game. The offensive line wasn't the greatest either.

Did you know he passed for over 4,000 yards in 1989 and came in second that year only to Joe Montana? This, to me, is an amazing feat since, as I've stated, the Pack had almost no running attack whatsoever, and every team knew this. He seemed to do it all just based on athletic ability, and the Packer receiver's ability to get open. I always thought he could have had a better career, and should have gotten more accolades, if he had a little bit better team around him. That's the way it goes, sometimes...

Yes, you are right Pack66 every NFL player is one "sliding door"/one play away from the end of his career at any given moment -- and "That's the way it goes, sometimes."

I think he did get his accolades with his induction into the Packers Hall of Fame -- but you are right to point out his incredible 1989 season with a less than stellar crew. While I can't call him my favorite Packer player, I sure appreciated him at the time -- he breathed life into the team and laid some of the groundwork for the transformation of the Packers from doormat to perennial contender.

Good point and good post

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Majik is by far my favorite Packers player..and I've always felt his career could have turned out different if he obviously, didn't get hurt by Freddie Joe Nunn,
Heartily agree - even today, when I mention which Number for the Pack - I'd rather have, I say "Seven".... and they all go WHAT...? - What about Number Four?

Majik Man brought the Packers back to the Winning side of Football.
And, to speak the truth here - if not for Reggie White and the luck that Holmgren did NOT sit Favre down, like he almost did at one time.... Well, the Majik years would have been the glowing light for all Cheeseheads.. and the Nineties may have never ever happened like they have...

I can tell ya this - I lived around Lake Geneva during those years and was bartending at a place in Burlington call The Palace - thanks to those football pools, I won almost a grand that year, along with bettin' on Majik!

I have never heard so much whining in my life after the Refs MADE THE RIGHT CALL -- they went "frame-by-frame" on TV... over and over... til everyone had pretty much had it with the media... In the end, the right call was made, by an HONEST Referee...

And, you should have heard the cry go out over the southeastern tip of Wisconsin - Bears fans everywhere were gettin in fights with cheeseheads, etc... They even got it going with a 1-900-kill-instant-replay gig that "succeeded" - ruining the NFL for years to come... All the channels in Chicago were doin' it Channel 2, 5, 7, & WGN(9) - Everyone and anyone could call... Ol' George Halas Members on the Owners Board was playin like they was AL DAVIS with running the NFL - and got away with it! I mean it - the Instant Replay has never been the same and the whole NFL has suffered over it.

In my book, the Pats would have never gone to that first SuperBowl, like they did. And, the Packers DID win that game against the Niners where Jerry Rice FUMBLED, but had it given back. in 1998. If the original instant replay was still in effect - both of those incidents would have gone the other way.... No way TO gets the winning TD grab... and maybe TO's career never really gets off the ground so quickly....

One good thing - as the next few season go by - we should see the emergence of a slightly better Instant Replay Rules alignment - getting us back to where we were during the Majik Man years! I will always praise that man - he was a real Packer - even stayed in Green Bay to practice and garnered quite a few of the other players to stay with him - he cared that much! I just wish the Packers had more Players like him these days - it would make all the difference!

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
I am not bitter but that was a bad call. I saw the replay just like you did and the refs blew it. The Bears won that game and had it given to the Packers. By the way, the Bears won 6 of the next 8 games against the Packers so I really don't see the beginning of any dominance

Sorry Philtration, BEARS LOST!

I replayed the game. I have it on tape. I play it over for those Bears fans who STILL believe that the bears won that game...

I can't believe after 15 some odd years that that play is the one that gets to you.

EVERYONE who was involved with the game, refs, the announcers, DAN FOUTS, who added the color and was a devout anti-replay proponent realize the GOOD in replay after this play. He was quoted as saying "...Now I am a Believer".

Majkowski was SOLIDLY behind the Line of Scrimage when he launched the ball. His momentum brought him forward a step after the pass was thrown.

I bet none of that matters to YOU though does it?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
Sorry Philtration, BEARS LOST! I replayed the game. I have it on tape. I play it over for those Bears fans who STILL believe that the bears won that game...

Majkowski was SOLIDLY behind the Line of Scrimage when he launched the ball. His momentum brought him forward a step after the pass was thrown.
Now wait a minute - remember the Bears fans said his ARM went over the scrimmage line as he was throwin' the ball.... THAT WAS EVERYTHING in "their" argument.... That was after the video proved his foot never did... You gonna discount that?

I did... immediately!

Members online

Latest posts