The Case for Paying Aaron Jones

Should the Packers Extend Jones (assumes he would accept contract comparable to the one mentioned)

• Total voters

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was wondering before the game what the Pack was going to do offensively since I didn't think they'd be able to run the ball well against the Saints, who are very tough team to run against. last night makes 45 straight games the Saints have not surrendered a hundred yard rusher

I was reading that the main point of focus for Matt and Aaron were to have a very similar setup for the run and pass plays, i.e disguise a pass play as a run. When the secondary is focused on a run and they find the receiver blitzing past them, it's shakes them up. We're doing a good job on this in past 3 games. Aaron Jones's off season receiving practice fits well nicely too.

Probably more bootlegs to TE, run disguised play action mixed with genuine runs.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2019 Jones was 10th in the league in total touches.

So far in 2020 he's 5th in the league in total touches (before MNF game).

So I can totally understand why you think he's been ignored. Very good take!

WOW! Proving things with small samples! That's the best way to analyze things, or so I've heard...

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So he's gonna get paid less, because he got drafted later?

And he's ignored by the coaches? We talking about the same Aaron Jones?

Have you not paid attention to how the NFL works? High round draft picks are always given more chances and more money.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
WOW! Proving things with small samples! That's the best way to analyze things, or so I've heard...

He gave you the entire 2019 season in addition to the games thus far. That's literally every game under LaFleur. How is that a small sample?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He gave you the entire 2019 season in addition to the games thus far. That's literally every game under LaFleur. How is that a small sample?

You're right. Touches aren't really my concern, my main concern is how those touches get distributed. Jones is one of the best receiving RBs in the NFL and he has 18 touches after 3 weeks. If health is the primary concern, then catching the ball is less physically demanding than running the ball for Jones; catching the ball means a linebacker tackles him in space (so the LB isn't sprinting full speed, he's breaking down to not get juked) while running the ball generally means refrigerators are going to fall on him. Now add in the fact that Adams has missed time and I just don't understand why MLF designs passing routes for Ervin but not Jones.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You're right. Touches aren't really my concern, my main concern is how those touches get distributed. Jones is one of the best receiving RBs in the NFL and he has 18 touches after 3 weeks. If health is the primary concern, then catching the ball is less physically demanding than running the ball for Jones; catching the ball means a linebacker tackles him in space (so the LB isn't sprinting full speed, he's breaking down to not get juked) while running the ball generally means refrigerators are going to fall on him. Now add in the fact that Adams has missed time and I just don't understand why MLF designs passing routes for Ervin but not Jones.

LaFleur designs a lot of plays that get Jones out into the route.

And just for context, Jones' 18 targets so far would extrapolate to 96 on the season-- that would have been 5th in the league among RB's last year. His 18 so far in 2020 ranks him 3rd.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LaFleur designs a lot of plays that get Jones out into the route.

And just for context, Jones' 18 targets so far would extrapolate to 96 on the season-- that would have been 5th in the league among RB's last year. His 18 so far in 2020 ranks him 3rd.

No Adams for what, almost half the current season? I just think jones should get more than 6 targets/game in that situation. Please, I'm not saying the offense sucks, just that I find it odd to not utilize Jones' best ability more often. There's no reason that Zeke should have more targets when the cowboys have far more receiver depth. That being said, it doesn't really matter when the offense is playing this well.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Would you like me to use how the coaches prior to LaFleur used him? What's the point in that?

Matt LaFleur has featured Jones in the offense! I'm not sure how you can say he's been ignored. **** man, you don't even have a sample size for your argument!

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My best guess is that it's early, it's a very odd year, and they don't want to use Jones too much, too early.

The offense is doing well, I don't have many critiques tbh.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
No Adams for what, almost half the current season? I just think jones should get more than 6 targets/game in that situation. Please, I'm not saying the offense sucks, just that I find it odd to not utilize Jones' best ability more often. There's no reason that Zeke should have more targets when the cowboys have far more receiver depth. That being said, it doesn't really matter when the offense is playing this well.

I don't have a problem if you would like him to throw more passes to Jones. I just noted that you said that Petals wasn't designing plays for him in the passing game, and wanted to point out that he's actually among the league leaders in terms of passing targets. I'm not trying to nit pick you either. But I thought that was relevant.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have a problem if you would like him to throw more passes to Jones. I just noted that you said that Petals wasn't designing plays for him in the passing game, and wanted to point out that he's actually among the league leaders in terms of passing targets. I'm not trying to nit pick you either. But I thought that was relevant.

I agree, it was incorrect on my part. I was just trying to better elucidate my annoyance.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My best guess is that it's early, it's a very odd year, and they don't want to use Jones too much, too early.

The offense is doing well, I don't have many critiques tbh.

I understand not wanting to use him too much, but it's just odd that they use him more often in the situations where he's getting hit by more and bigger defensive players while there is actually a larger need in the passing game (it appears that way anyway). Look, it's not going to matter against the Falcons who have an awful defense. This is the kind of thing that I think would only really matter against a good defense and hopefully Adams will be back before that happens.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In other news did anyone see dillon make a quality block on his first snap of the falcons game...they handed him the ball on the next play for 3 yards his only carry of the game.

But that's gotta be an encouraging sign the coaches are starting to trust him as a pass blocker

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In other news did anyone see dillon make a quality block on his first snap of the falcons game...they handed him the ball on the next play for 3 yards his only carry of the game.

But that's gotta be an encouraging sign the coaches are starting to trust him as a pass blocker

With Deguara out, if Dillon can illustrate an ability to block, look for him to get some "H Back" style snaps as well....I think we really do see more sets with two of our RBs in there now more than I already thought would occur.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Deguara out, if Dillon can illustrate an ability to block, look for him to get some "H Back" style snaps as well....I think we really do see more sets with two of our RBs in there now more than I already thought would occur.

In the category of "too damn funny"....we had sets with 3 running backs against the Falcons. If we could use Dillon as a quazi H-back, we could very well have a 4-RB set.

How strange would it be to have, oh, I dunno, Jones in the slot, Ervin as a flanker/motion man, Dillion as a wing, Adams out wide, and Williams in the backfield.

I don't even know what we could call, so I assume defending it would be equally difficult :)

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the category of "too damn funny"....we had sets with 3 running backs against the Falcons. If we could use Dillon as a quazi H-back, we could very well have a 4-RB set.

How strange would it be to have, oh, I dunno, Jones in the slot, Ervin as a flanker/motion man, Dillion as a wing, Adams out wide, and Williams in the backfield.

I don't even know what we could call, so I assume defending it would be equally difficult :)
I don’t even find that scenario to be implausible. Frankly that is one of the things I like about LeFleur... innovation and creativity.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
someone's got to go in order to keep jones. bakh? he's said there's no serious discussions with the Packers right now. they both may be gone with all the money they need to trim due to covid adjustments and rodgers enormous hit next season (a season that i've come to believe will be with the Packers due to his complete 180 this season).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
someone's got to go in order to keep jones. bakh? he's said there's no serious discussions with the Packers right now. they both may be gone with all the money they need to trim due to covid adjustments and rodgers enormous hit next season (a season that i've come to believe will be with the Packers due to his complete 180 this season).

This has been hashed out quite a bit but over numerous pages and even threads....in essence we need to resign or lose the following "bigger" UFA names in 2021:

Bahk
Aaron Jones
Linsley
King
Jamaal Williams

Lesser or Most agree not as pivotal:
Lane Taylor
Ervin
Marcedes Lewis

Now also factor in possible cuts to save $, you have:

Lowry - due 6.3M but $3M in dead
Ricky Wagner - Due $6M, only 1.75 Dead
Christian Kirksey - Due $8M, $2M dead....if Barnes and Martin (Summers too) make Gute feel better about 2021 Kirksey could be a cap cut.
Oren Burks - Due $1.15M, $205K dead....he is an easy nearly million gain by cutting.
Billy Turner - Due $8.05M, $4.5 dead cap

The Smiths, Amos also start costing crazy amounts more from 2020 to 2021...those three guys go up nearly or around $10M together.

That cluster of 5 guys at the top, If we resign Bahk and Jones we lose the following three and face some other cuts elsewhere too most likely. Guys like Sullivan would need contracts, a guy like Lazard also needs a contract....

I've shared I'm torn...I don't want to lose Bahk and Jones both...but at what cost to the rest of the roster do we do this?? Linsley gone is big chunk of change off the books...cutting Wagner gets us about $4M more...throw in Burks also...but we cannot afford IMO to lose Turner also...we cannot afford to have resigning them both cost us King and risk an inability to resign Jaire in the future and Sullivan to something for 2021....too big of a gap/hole. Kirksey is another one...do we roll our dice and save money for the now and bank on Barnes/Martin/Summers+likely 2021 draftee/UDFA?

This is all a tough call and honestly I don't think there is a clear answer...happy I'm not the one burdened with the call...

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
This has been hashed out quite a bit but over numerous pages and even threads....in essence we need to resign or lose the following "bigger" UFA names in 2021:

Bahk
Aaron Jones
Linsley
King
Jamaal Williams

Lesser or Most agree not as pivotal:
Lane Taylor
Ervin
Marcedes Lewis

Now also factor in possible cuts to save $, you have:

Lowry - due 6.3M but $3M in dead
Ricky Wagner - Due $6M, only 1.75 Dead
Christian Kirksey - Due $8M, $2M dead....if Barnes and Martin (Summers too) make Gute feel better about 2021 Kirksey could be a cap cut.
Oren Burks - Due $1.15M, $205K dead....he is an easy nearly million gain by cutting.
Billy Turner - Due $8.05M, $4.5 dead cap

The Smiths, Amos also start costing crazy amounts more from 2020 to 2021...those three guys go up nearly or around $10M together.

That cluster of 5 guys at the top, If we resign Bahk and Jones we lose the following three and face some other cuts elsewhere too most likely. Guys like Sullivan would need contracts, a guy like Lazard also needs a contract....

I've shared I'm torn...I don't want to lose Bahk and Jones both...but at what cost to the rest of the roster do we do this?? Linsley gone is big chunk of change off the books...cutting Wagner gets us about $4M more...throw in Burks also...but we cannot afford IMO to lose Turner also...we cannot afford to have resigning them both cost us King and risk an inability to resign Jaire in the future and Sullivan to something for 2021....too big of a gap/hole. Kirksey is another one...do we roll our dice and save money for the now and bank on Barnes/Martin/Summers+likely 2021 draftee/UDFA?

This is all a tough call and honestly I don't think there is a clear answer...happy I'm not the one burdened with the call...
Throw in winning the SB on top of that and all their prices go up.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bak is a lot more expensive and w/o that contract we can probably keep the team relatively intact. The flip side is of course L tackle is so important. But I go with keeping the team intact.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bak is a lot more expensive and w/o that contract we can probably keep the team relatively intact. The flip side is of course L tackle is so important. But I go with keeping the team intact.

I've literally flipped back and forth on IF this is the decision, Bahk or Jones - and neither is not an option.

Presently, I'm beginning to come around to the idea of MLF system I think could overcome an issue of OL struggles.

The biggest issue for this to be something I'm comfortable with though I'd have loved to see Lane stay healthy AND sadly though I want to see more snaps to Runyan. Knowing he can step into a position and be good enough is pivotal. I trust Patrick replacing Linsley....

That leaves us if we don't sign Bahk with Jenkins, Runyan, Patrick as your for sure starters in 2021 as they are not going anywhere. You then have a collection of Turner, Wagner and Lane should you choose to pay to keep and not cut. I throw Wagner out and Lane is an unknown, literally coming off a second season ending injury.

Do we trust Yosh is finally ready?

I think one thing to keep out there on our minds is the idea I've NEVER considered could be an option: keep Linsley instead of Bahk IF that means signing Jones.

Linsley is gonna be cheaper than Bahk, does that savings justify the move in that OL stays more in tact, Patrick is flexible to fill at G or RT AND we have a new LT in Jenkins or a draft pick in 2021.

I've blown my cut Linsley horn all the last year, when last year ended, before this season and even after the draft. I don't see him worth the money any more that he is making...BUT it is an option I never considered before...

My gut still tells me Bahk is resigned and Jones is as well and we GUT some other positions and pray young guys and draftees excel.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without going into exhaustive detail, and using tynimillers post as a template, I see around $30 million left for free agents. The cuts he mentioned, plus max renegotiations of contracts such as Rodgers and Z, and not including whatever they're able to roll over. Since you can keep a contract through various ways well below it's yearly average for the first season if not the first two, I think we can keep Bak, Jones, and the rest of the key free agents on his list.
If anyone can do it, it's Russ Ball.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without going into exhaustive detail, and using tynimillers post as a template, I see around $30 million left for free agents. The cuts he mentioned, plus max renegotiations of contracts such as Rodgers and Z, and not including whatever they're able to roll over. Since you can keep a contract through various ways well below it's yearly average for the first season if not the first two, I think we can keep Bak, Jones, and the rest of the key free agents on his list.
If anyone can do it, it's Russ Ball.

Yikes...that would insanely great for 2021...but at some point catastrophe sets in. You are right though, it can for sure be done.

The one thing I do believe the organization is going to do is not resign King IF that in any way shape or form would leave Jaire when time comes not an option....I think the roll hoping Sullivan keeps excelling, others step up and draft someone or someones.

Members online

Latest posts