The Case for Paying Aaron Jones

Should the Packers Extend Jones (assumes he would accept contract comparable to the one mentioned)

• Total voters

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dalvin evidently had quite a game today.

That he did, I'm not saying by any means he's not a top 10 guy because he is...I'm just saying no way aaron jones gets over 2 m less per. Hence the 10 m per ship that may have been around prior to the season has sailed

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without a salary cap in place it would be a no-brainer to re-sign Jones. Unfortunately with that not being the case and running backs are easier to replace than most other positions it's not smart to pay him a significant amount of money.

Other teams doing that with RBs should work as evidence.

You ignore the reality of the Packers' offense; Jones is the 2nd best skill player they have. The Packers can manufacture the cap space to re-sign him pretty easily. You truly excited for the Packers to have an offense next year with Adams as the ONLY good skill player on offense? Because bringing in any decent free agent is going to cost as much. I also think you're arguing against a contract that I'm not envisioning. Jones is a late round pick and that still sticks to players because GM's can be stupid about that. If Jones is willing to sign for $9 million/year, he's well worth it. Heck, I'd be willing to say he'd be worth $11m/yr so long as his salary stays low for the first year or two while the cap is lower.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You ignore the reality of the Packers' offense; Jones is the 2nd best skill player they have. The Packers can manufacture the cap space to re-sign him pretty easily. You truly excited for the Packers to have an offense next year with Adams as the ONLY good skill player on offense? Because bringing in any decent free agent is going to cost as much. I also think you're arguing against a contract that I'm not envisioning. Jones is a late round pick and that still sticks to players because GM's can be stupid about that. If Jones is willing to sign for $9 million/year, he's well worth it. Heck, I'd be willing to say he'd be worth $11m/yr so long as his salary stays low for the first year or two while the cap is lower.

Why would Jones sign for that low of a number? Look what Kamara and Cook got. Jones is gonna wanna be around there.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would Jones sign for that low of a number? Look what Kamara and Cook got. Jones is gonna wanna be around there.

Because Jones is a much later draft pick who has been ignored by his coaches? Reality is that he's better than both but doesn't have the volume stats. He won't make as much though he IS better than both.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Capt is banned

Dont expect a reply

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The funny is thinking 9 million is on the table.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because Jones is a much later draft pick who has been ignored by his coaches? Reality is that he's better than both but doesn't have the volume stats. He won't make as much though he IS better than both.

So he's gonna get paid less, because he got drafted later?

And he's ignored by the coaches? We talking about the same Aaron Jones?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But it does.
Yes, but last week we had two different receivers do it. That starts to be a problem and the coaches should deal with it. Sometimes you have to take a minute to go back to the basics. Sternberger seemed to me to have learned his lesson. MVS too...I hope.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So he's gonna get paid less, because he got drafted later?

And he's ignored by the coaches? We talking about the same Aaron Jones?
Yeah... I’d say he is really digging deep to try and support his argument with that one.

It’s amazing that Tom Brady ever gets more than league minimum... considering his lowly draft status lol.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

2019 Jones was 10th in the league in total touches.

So far in 2020 he's 5th in the league in total touches (before MNF game).

So I can totally understand why you think he's been ignored. Very good take!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, but last week we had two different receivers do it. That starts to be a problem and the coaches should deal with it. Sometimes you have to take a minute to go back to the basics. Sternberger seemed to me to have learned his lesson. MVS too...I hope.
Rare occurrences doesn’t constitute a pattern of drops. I think you may have misread his post back there.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
2019 Jones was 10th in the league in total touches.

So far in 2020 he's 5th in the league in total touches (before MNF game).

So I can totally understand why you think he's been ignored. Very good take!
Being under publicized by the media means zero. NFL personnel departments know his value and worth. It of course changes depending upon a team’s offensive approach.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones is making a very strong case to be re-signed, Gute is going to need to make some tough decisions. This is a best case scenario for us this year - as Jones continues to ride his wave of production and we continue to win. Hopefully, we can get a home playoff game (obviously hopefully we get homefield advantage). Lots can change though, obviously still early in the season and teams are getting into the groove.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones is making a very strong case to be re-signed, Gute is going to need to make some tough decisions. This is a best case scenario for us this year - as Jones continues to ride his wave of production and we continue to win. Hopefully, we can get a home playoff game (obviously hopefully we get homefield advantage). Lots can change though, obviously still early in the season and teams are getting into the groove.
I am actually coming around to not paying Bak and being able to pay everyone else. We have a real good team...as in team. Be nice not to mess with the chemistry so much. Yes, we need a L tackle.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rare occurrences doesn’t constitute a pattern of drops. I think you may have misread his post back there.
I am not saying it constitutes a pattern. I'm merely saying it should not happen and if the coaches need to talk about; then they should talk about it. It just should not happen. Understandable if the receiver is going to get stomped on by a safety but otherwise if it happens; the coach should make sure it doesn't again. And it looks like both MVS and Sternberger got the message. Not a pattern but still important.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Did you stretch before pulling off those mental gymnastics?

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I went back through old Saints box scores to find this out-- Aaron Jones' 16 for 69 yards (4.3 ypc) is the highest ypc allowed by the Saints against a guy to get at least 15 carries since week 12 of the 2018 season, when Todd Gurley had 17 for 74 (4.4).

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went back through old Saints box scores to find this out-- Aaron Jones' 16 for 69 yards (4.3 ypc) is the highest ypc allowed by the Saints against a guy to get at least 15 carries since week 12 of the 2018 season, when Todd Gurley had 17 for 74 (4.4).

I was wondering before the game what the Pack was going to do offensively since I didn't think they'd be able to run the ball well against the Saints, who are very tough team to run against. last night makes 45 straight games the Saints have not surrendered a hundred yard rusher

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I was wondering before the game what the Pack was going to do offensively since I didn't think they'd be able to run the ball well against the Saints, who are very tough team to run against. last night makes 45 straight games the Saints have not surrendered a hundred yard rusher

The Packers executed the play action game amazingly well despite not having a prolific rushing attack.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Cam Jordan is really good.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not saying it constitutes a pattern. I'm merely saying it should not happen and if the coaches need to talk about; then they should talk about it. It just should not happen. Understandable if the receiver is going to get stomped on by a safety but otherwise if it happens; the coach should make sure it doesn't again. And it looks like both MVS and Sternberger got the message. Not a pattern but still important.
Vince Lombardi used to tell his players, “It’s ok to make mistakes, but if you make too many, you’re going to be making them in Philadelphia.

Members online

Latest posts