PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Team optimistic Harrell will sign soon
Packers hope for no holdout
By ROB REISCHEL
Special to Packer Plus
Posted: July 18, 2007
The Green Bay Packers have been one of the NFL's more successful teams when it comes to getting their draft picks into camp on time. And 2007 could very well follow a similar script.

To date, Green Bay has signed five of its 11 draft picks. That list includes safety Aaron Rouse (third round), offensive linemen Allen Barbre (fourth), wide receiver David Clowney (fifth), tight end Clark Harris (seventh) and running back DeShawn Wynn (seventh).

Now comes the tough stuff, though.

First-round defensive tackle Justin Harrell, taken with the 16th overall pick, will be the most difficult deal to do. But Eugene Parker, who represents Harrell and has a long working relationship with the Packers, is hopeful his client will be to camp on time.

Players are scheduled to report July 27 and the first practice is at 2 p.m. July 28.

"I've had good, positive relationships with the Packers and (negotiator) Andrew (Brandt) and I'd expect that will continue," Parker said. "It's hard to say how smooth something will go. But I'm optimistic."

The two sides have had some initial discussions. But Parker and Brandt didn't think things would heat up until later this week.

Parker represents wide receiver Greg Jennings and has also handled former Packers Ahmad Carroll and Hardy Nickerson. So Parker and Brandt have done their share of deals together.

"There's always additional challenges with a No. 1 pick," Brandt said. "But we've known each other 20 years. We'll work together on this."

Last year's 16th overall pick, safety Jason Allen of Miami, signed a six-year contract that included up to $9 million in guaranteed money. But Allen held out 10 days, was the second-to-last first-round draft pick to sign and played from behind all season.

In fact, Allen struggled to pick up the defensive scheme and didn't play a defensive snap until Week 7. He finished the year with just 20 tackles and was moved to cornerback this off-season.

The Packers hope to have much better luck with Harrell.

Harrell has had major issues with durability throughout his career. But both sides said that wouldn't play a part in the negotiations.

"That won't matter," Parker said. "They drafted him."

Harrell missed the final 10 games of his senior year at Tennessee with a partially torn biceps tendon. He also underwent surgeries on his leg and ankle earlier in his Tennessee career.

Harrell didn't take part in any contact drills during Green Bay's post-draft minicamps and OTA's. Harrell has been cleared, though, to fully participate when training camp begins.

If Harrell is going to be more than a bit player in 2007, though, it's imperative for the Packers to get him to camp on time.

Harrell is already behind because his work this spring was limited. And it's been nearly a year now since he's experienced live contact.

So if Harrell is standing on the sideline for long, the chances of him cracking a deep defensive line might be slim.

"As we all know when you get to training camp, we'll be playing real football with the pads and so forth," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "You learn a lot about the individuals from their movement, foot quickness and leg strength, things like that. But it's a different game when you put the pads on, so that will be the true test."

So far, Chicago tight end Greg Olsen, the 31st overall pick, is the only first-round draft pick to sign. And there might not be much movement with Harrell until some of the other first-round deals are done.

The Packers' rookie salary pool is $4.907 million, and they'll have to squeeze 11 draft picks into that window. Green Bay's rookie pool was $6.647 million in 2006 when the Packers had 12 draft picks. But one of those was A.J. Hawk, the No. 5 overall pick, who commanded far more money than Harrell will see.

It will be a challenge for Brandt to stay below that rookie cap number and he might need some creative deals to do so.

The first five contracts that the Packers have completed were all four-year deals.

Rouse's contract was for four years, $2.3 million and included a $649,000 signing bonus. Barbre's package was four years, $2.1 million with a $436,000 signing bonus.

Clowney's four-year deal was for a total of $1.8 million and included a $170,000 signing bonus. Wynn got $50,000 to sign his four-year, $1.7 million contract. And Harris received a four-year, $1.7 million deal with a $41,000 signing bonus.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a week to go and Andrew Brandt hasn't signed half the draft picks yet.

It isn't a priority with the Packers like it is the Bears.

It will take a screw up hold out to get management to get Mr. Brandt to make signing players a priority.

So many of the agents are greasey lawyers who do no work but "let others set the market" and then they have the client sign at the last minute. The lawyers collect money for minimal work.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

It will take a screw up hold out to get management to get Mr. Brandt to make signing players a priority.

So many of the agents are greasey lawyers who do no work but "let others set the market" and then they have the client sign at the last minute. The lawyers collect money for minimal work.

lmao @ ^^

That was good humor there.

Packers have five of eleven signed. One more signed and they have more than HALF of them on the books! :)

Here's a look at all the NFC North teams and what they've done. (dbears54 of scout.com is the source)

Bears
SIGNED:
1.(31) TE Greg Olsen, Miami
3.(93) RB Garrett Wolfe, Northern Illinois
3.(94) LB Michael Okwo, Stanford
4.(130) OG Josh Beekman, Boston College
5.(167) S Kevin Payne, Louisiana-Monroe
5.(168) CB Corey Graham, New Hampshire
7.(221) CB Trumaine McBride, Mississippi
7.(241) OT Aaron Brant, Iowa St.
UNSIGNED:
2.(62) DE Dan Bazuin, Central Michigan

Lions
SIGNED:
7.(255) CB Ramzee Robinson, Alabama
UNSIGNED:
1.(2) WR Calvin Johnson, Georgia Tech
2.(43) QB Drew Stanton, Michigan St.
2.(58) DE Ikaika Alama-Francis, Hawaii
2.(61) S Gerald Alexander, Boise St.
4.(105) CB A.J. Davis, North Carolina St.
4.(117) OG Manuel Ramirez, Texas Tech
5.(158) LB Johnny Baldwin, Alabama A&M

Packers
SIGNED:
3.(89) S Aaron Rouse, Virginia Tech
4.(119) OT Allen Barbre, Missouri Southern St.
5.(157) WR David Clowney, Virginia Tech
7.(228) RB Deshawn Wynn, Florida
7.(243) TE Clark Harris, Rutgers
UNSIGNED:
1.(16) DT Justin Harrell, Tennessee
2.(63) RB Brandon Jackson, Nebraska
3.(78) WR James Jones, San Jose St.
6.(191) LB Korey Hall, Boise St.
6.(192) LB Desmond Bishop, California
6.(193) K Mason Crosby, Colorado

Vikings
SIGNED:
6.(176) LB Rufus Alexander, Oklahoma
7.(217) QB Tyler Thigpen, Coastal Carolina
7.(233) WR Chandler Williams, Florida International
UNSIGNED:
1.(7) RB Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma
2.(44) WR Sidney Rice, South Carolina
3.(72) CB Marcus McCauley, Fresno St.
4.(102) DE Brian Robison, Texas
5.(146) WR Aundrae Allison, East Carolina

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, zero. It always helps to have some perspective. The teams don't have total control of this matter, unless they overpay.

From what I've heard of Harrell, I think he will be highly motivated to sign on time. I've got my fingers crossed.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cedric Benson's holdout got the Bear's mad and they don't want that to happen again. It is a priority for them.

Who was Benson's agent? Parker who represents Harrell.

It has been about 80 days since the draft. Like a stupid unmotivated kid in school, they are waiting to the last minute to work on a project just before the deadline. If they did just one signing a week they would be done.

I truly believe it is Crosby who is holding up the 6th rounders.

I have little patience for employees who wait until the last minute.

If Andrew Brandt is in a carwreck, has a health problem or family emergency then it won't get done on time.

Reaction score
If Andrew Brandt is in a carwreck, has a health problem or family emergency then it won't get done on time.

I'm sure there is an understudy to Brandt, one that would take over in case of emergency.

Perhaps Brandt is too busy waiting for the last Harry Potter book to come out. That CERTAINLY takes precedent over any work that needs to get done... :lol:

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did we sign all our draft picks LAST year?

Not on time in 2006.

Not on time in 2005.

Not on time in 2004.

Not on time in 2003.

Not on time in 2002.

Not on time in 2001.

From the Packers.com website I cannot determine if 2000 was timely or not.

I define timely as having all draft picks signed before training camp begins. So what are the odds of it being timely this year?????

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packerfan1245 said:

Not on time in 2006.

Not on time in 2005.

Not on time in 2004.

Not on time in 2003.

Not on time in 2002.

Not on time in 2001.

I define timely as having all draft picks signed before training camp begins. So what are the odds of it being timely this year?????

quit your *****ing my god last year AJ Hawk was the only 1 late and he missed half a day of practice. Only 2 first round picks have been signed #28 Joe Staley and #31 Greg Olson. Just so you know parker was Greg Jennings agent as well and look how that turned out. Its a pritiroty for every team to have all there picks in camp on time but sometimes it doesnt work out. Who cares if there all signed a month before training camp or the day before it doesnt make a differnce.

Reaction score
packerfan1245 said:

Not on time in 2006.

Not on time in 2005.

Not on time in 2004.

Not on time in 2003.

Not on time in 2002.

Not on time in 2001.

Mind posting the link(s) which you got that info from?

And oh yeah, one or two players aren't the entire draft class.

Honestly, relax. Take it easy.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2006/07/
July 7 - Packers Sign Draft Choice Jolly
July 11 - Packers Sign Draft Choice Culver
July 14 - Packers Sign Draft Choice Blackmon
July 18 - Packers Sign Draft Choice Moll
July 24 - Green Bay Inks Jennings
July 25 - Packers Sign Draft Pick Rodgers
July 26 - Spitz Signed
July 27 - Green Bay Signs Colledge, Martin
July 27 - Packers Training Camp Opens Friday, July 28
July 28 - Packers Sign Hodge In The Fold
July 29 - AJ Hawk, No. 5 Overall Selection, Signs With Packers

10 players signed in about 23 days...And as previously stated, Hawk was only "late" one..Even though it was not more than a day late..

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

Packers.com This information is not hidden. Facts are facts.

Deadlines are deadlines. Late is late.

People either want to get it done on time or they don't.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Packers.com This information is not hidden. Facts are facts.

Deadlines are deadlines. Late is late.

'Facts' being what they are, the 'fact' is, this is the nature of signing draft picks.

Boo frickin hoo.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps Brandt is too busy waiting for the last Harry Potter book to come out. That CERTAINLY takes precedent over any work that needs to get done... :lol:

Ya know, AADP, I think you nailed it. HP is gonna rock my entire perspective on life!!!!! Can't wait!!!! :thumbsup: :jumpsmile: :jumpsmile:

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Well, maybe with the way the offseason went, they forgot how to sign their players... another reason for FA signings... so they remember how to sign players to contracts :thumbsup:

Next week we will have them signed.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless of when he signs, I just hope everyone gives Harrell time to develop as a professional football player.

He's already got a number of hurdles to cross including being booed at Lambeau Field when selected, not having played football in about a year, injury issues throughout his college career and some pretty good talent & depth in front of him on the depth chart already.

If he doesn't contribute much this season and the team struggles (especially on offense), I can see him becoming the poster child for everyone blaming TT for the lack of the Packers success and calling for his head.

Unless he really sucks, I just think Harrell deserves a fair chance to develop like every other rookie.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok......I'll just make my comment. How many of the "late" picks missed any games? I think that is all we should worry about.
As far as I see it, it doesn't make ANY difference if the guys don't miss playing time. And Hawk missing half a day? Is that really so much to get worked up about? Not in my opinion. I think he did just fine on the field last year.
So why worry about nothing???

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheesey, because in mid July there is nothing else to worry about!!

Until training camp begins this is the only news.

Now if you want to get started early there is Family Night and then the Steelers afternoon(3:30 PST) game.

Some people really overreact. Just because Bubba Franks was the last 1st round pick signed berfore training camp. Barnett and Hawk missed minimal time and Walker, Carroll, and Rodgers didn't matter doesn't change that they all were signed after training camp began.

You'd think somone's mother was was insulted. Less than have the signing are done in 80 some days and the majority of the signings will take place in the week prior to camp. The article says the Packers are optimistic about getting the job done and they have to say that to the press.

All I did was look at their recent history in accomplishing that goal.

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the #15 Lawernce Timmons of the Steelers signed so it should be long before Harrell is signed.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheesey, because in mid July there is nothing else to worry about!!

Until training camp begins this is the only news.

Now if you want to get started early there is Family Night and then the Steelers afternoon(3:30 PST) game.

Some people really overreact. Just because Bubba Franks was the last 1st round pick signed berfore training camp. Barnett and Hawk missed minimal time and Walker, Carroll, and Rodgers didn't matter doesn't change that they all were signed after training camp began.

You'd think somone's mother was was insulted. Less than have the signing are done in 80 some days and the majority of the signings will take place in the week prior to camp. The article says the Packers are optimistic about getting the job done and they have to say that to the press.

All I did was look at their recent history in accomplishing that goal.
LOLOL!!! How true, how true!!!
Guess we have to "wring our hands" over something! Favre has said he's playing this year, so we don't have that to worry about! :rotflmao:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Packers sign six-round picks

The Packers moved closer to signing all of their rookies before Saturday’s start to training camp by agreeing to deals with all three of their sixth-round draft picks.

Mike McCartney, the agent for kicker Mason Crosby, said his client’s contract was completed over the weekend.

Also believed to finished over the weekend were the contracts of fullback Korey Hall and linebacker Desmond Bishop, who were selected immediately before Crosby in the sixth round.

Crosby was the 193rd overall player selected in April’s draft. Hall was taken at No. 191 and Bishop at No. 192.

The Packers had not announced those signings as of this afternoon, but it means only three of their 11 picks remain unsigned. They are: first-round pick Justin Harrell, second-rounder Brandon Jackson and third-rounder James Jones.

Reaction score
Well they have 3 days to get those three picks done.

With Timmons (#15) already having signed, I don't think Harrell will be all that difficult.

I'm really hoping Jackson and Jones are done before camp. Harrell signing a day late won't be too much of a setback, IMO.

But I'd love to see B-Jack and Jimbo Jones from the word 'Go'. I think every bit of practice will help them.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right, AADP. The "skill" players like RBs and WRs need every snap they can get. Harrell's job isn't quite as complicated. He'll get the rust off in a hurry if he's the player we hope he is. Luckily, we have good men already at his position. He's the frosting on the cake, IMO. Of course, you can never have too much frosting.

Members online

Latest posts