Tampa studs and duds

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We ran and passed the ball all over the place. I dont think eds gave them anything that helped.

Reaction score
Stud" Mike McCarthy for passing Vince Lombardi and now chasing Curly Lambeau for most Packer wins
Dud" Special teams return unit.. in particular: blocking (or lack thereof)

Aussie Sean

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well done green bay, At work in Sydney Australia, watching on the computer. defence played tb out of game.

H

HardRightEdge

Aside from not finishing a couple drives, this was a complete beat down. At no point in the game did it seem like the Bucs had a chance.

Total yards: Packers 431 Bus 109
TOP: Packers 38:38 Bucs 21:22

Was a yard away from being 27-3.

Studs: Entire defense with shout outs to Clay and Burnett.
Duds: Cant' think of an individual. I'll say the random couple mistakes that killed some drives: Adams drop, missing blocks on the goal line, missed FG (although close to 50 yards)

Good job Pack!
I think we share a minority opinion.

While everybody loves the aerial circus and blowout first half scores, I thought this was among the best efforts of the year both in game planning and play-in, play-out execution. Despite the score, the Packers controlled the game throughout.

There's been a lot of discussion over the last few years regarding the offense struggling against 2-high safeties. It's been my thinking that attacking those defenses underneath has been a matter of want-to rather than can't. We saw an illustration yesterday of want-to, whether by design or to protect the dinged-up Rodgers.

By my count, I have only two Rodgers passes traveling more than 20 yards past the LOS...the Adams sideline drop in the first quarter, which was ad lib, at about 22 yds. and the 24 yd. slant to Nelson late in the first quarter. This was a rare instance where the focus was on mixing run with the short passing game for 4 quarters; the Packers had little trouble, in the words of Hank Stram, "matriculatin' the ball down the field, boys".

Whether the Packers would have such success against Seattle remains to be seen. Chancellor plays closer to the line than in classic cover 2, intimidating receivers on short throws, and Thomas may be the best closing safety in the league. Nonetheless, it is encouraging to see the offense being able switch to take-what-they-give-you mode for 4 quarters.

On defense, it seems to me Capers went away from his usual mix with more base D and base variations. The 3 down lineman and two 9 tech OLBs on the line was a good look...they stopped the run on the way to the QB. In the secondary, there were few throws that were not contested.

Besides the obvious studs one would note from the stat sheet, I'd like to give a shout out to Sam Barrington. He's getting the hang of it; he seemed to be in the right position and around the ball all day. He also got a nice hit on McCown on a delayed blitz late in the game; the resulting flutter ball had a chance to be picked.

Yes, there were a couple of plays that were costly and could have made for a more lopsided scoreboard, but not more than a small handful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
While everybody loves the aerial circus and blowout first half scores, I thought this was among the best efforts of the year both in game planning and play-in, play-out execution. Despite the score, the Packers controlled the game throughout.

Against a two win team. I wouldn't put too much into it.

H

HardRightEdge

Against a two win team. I wouldn't put too much into it.
They're NFL players and they're getting paid. It was overlooked that Tampa has been playing good defense the last 5 games or so, which is particularly difficult when their offense is so unproductive. Tampa doesn't have the playmakers, but they play cohesively as a unit. They took away the deep ball...you're not likely to see 40 points from the Packer offense when teams do that.

It was a very solid, winning performance, and I don't care which pundits might say otherwise. There's fantasy football, and then there's real football.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
It was a very solid, winning performance, and I don't care which pundits might say otherwise. There's fantasy football, and then there's real football.

I haven't heard any punditry about the Bucs game.

But a convincing win against a team with a .133 record is nothing to hang your hat on.

They have a crappy offense and a decent defense.

H

HardRightEdge

I haven't heard any punditry about the Bucs game.

But a convincing win against a team with a .133 record is nothing to hang your hat on.

They have a crappy offense and a decent defense.
So, where's your beef?

It can't be the defense. Tampa was held to 109 yards total offense; I think it was 0 in the first half.

What was it specifically about the offense that you think was lacking?

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
So, where's your beef?

My beef is we have not beat a good team on the road convincingly. I don't care how much their D has improved. It's not a very good team.

I'm not saying we won't get hot and go to Seattle and win (which I think is a worst case scenario for us in the Playoffs) but we just haven't shown that we're capable.

H

HardRightEdge

My beef is we have not beat a good team on the road convincingly.

I'm not saying we won't get hot and go to Seattle and win (which I think is a worst case scenario for us in the Playoffs) but we just haven't shown that we're capable.
Well, we're not seeing the same game then. This was a decisive win against Tampa.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know I'd like to see more points. Those games make me nervous. Thankfully the Bucs have no offense, but for much of the game, one play would have tied or given them the lead. I don't like them leaving doors open like that. They were dominating them, completely on both sides of the ball, but sometimes leaving the door open like that can come back to bite you in the ***. I'd rather they just scored more points when in the redzone. We've had games where everything is a TD and games we can't seem to find the endzone when it's right in front of us.

But that's football and not a video game. I'm very happy with the win, regardless of how much we won by. I'll take one point victories from now till the game in February if I have to.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My beef is we have not beat a good team on the road convincingly. I don't care how much their D has improved. It's not a very good team.

way the options of that game, our defense dominated bucs only scored 3 points, arron rodgers had the flu all week, arron rodgers strained his calf muscle early in the game, we was playing against a coach (lovie smith) that knows our packer team better then any coach in the league. we are spoiled so much by aaron just slicing teams up that we think he needs to do it every week. Aaron is human. 20-3 is a convincing win in my book, this is the NFL not high school or college ;)

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
way the options of that game, our defense dominated bucs only scored 3 points, arron rodgers had the flu all week, arron rodgers strained his calf muscle early in the game, we was playing against a coach (lovie smith) that knows our packer team better then any coach in the league. we are spoiled so much by aaron just slicing teams up that we think he needs to do it every week. Aaron is human. 20-3 is a convincing win in my book, this is the NFL not high school or college ;)

Well even though the Bucc's are 2-13 we handed them there second biggest home loss of the season. They had a total of 16 yards rushing. That's unheard of for a Packer defense to allow that low of yardage on the ground. All good stuff and if we don't come up empty handed on one drive inside the 1 yard line it's 27-3. It was convincing enough for me.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well even though the Bucc's are 2-13 we handed them there second biggest home loss of the season. They had a total of 16 yards rushing. That's unheard of for a Packer defense to allow that low of yardage on the ground. All good stuff and if we don't come up empty handed on one drive inside the 1 yard line it's 27-3. It was convincing enough for me.
i totally agree, oh you forgot about the mason crosby miss field goal so 30-3 hehe

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Tampa is not a very good team. We should win convincingly against these scrubs.

I am NOT impressed by this win. Sorry.

So we need to go on the road and put up 40 points on someone for it to be an impressive win? We completely dominated the game. They averaged one yard per carry. It's called get in, get out, and avoid any major injury which it looks like Rodgers got dinged up.

This isn't college where there is some committee to impress and we need to score all these style points. Other then some of the play calling on the goal line I really liked how the offense played. I really like how Rodgers beat them to Cobb when they tried to blitz. Rodgers took what the defense gave him and we didn't try to force the ball down field.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
So we need to go on the road and put up 40 points on someone for it to be an impressive win?
No. We just have to win a game on the road against a good team. Something we have not done. It's all I'm saying. We BARELY beat Miami. The only road win against a team with a winning record.

We don't have to put up 40 on a very good team on the road. JUST WIN. It has not happened. Period.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. We just have to win a game on the road against a good team. Something we have not done. It's all I'm saying. We BARELY beat Miami. The only road win against a team with a winning record.

We don't have to put up 40 on a very good team on the road. JUST WIN. It has not happened. Period.

What if we won 67-3 against Tampa? Would that still not be impressive?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tampa is not a very good team. We should win convincingly against these scrubs.

I am NOT impressed by this win. Sorry.

17 points is convincingly. In fact, in only 2 other games did they lose by more, meaning we were better against them than nearly everyone else.

The score may have been close for a while, but Tampa did not have a chance at pulling it out.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Well you might have to wait until the NFC championship game to get your wish if things work out a certain way. That will be the only one we need.

Rodgers and co. have won big big games on the road before so it's not like it's something there not capable of.

Lastly, Our defense has not given a TD up on the road the past two games. I don't care if it was Tampa Bay and Buffalo. There NFL teams and that's impressive. They had better QB's then Lindly out there. If the Seahawks do that and win a game 17-6 everyone is saying there unbeatable and blah blah blah. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:
OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Rodgers was sick and a bum calf

Members online

Latest posts