Studs n duds Niners playoffs

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brady won a super bowl 13-3 the previous week they won 37-31.
OK, so that was a poor game by Brady. Like I said multiple times now, this isn't about one game. His 7 Super Bowl wins more than offset one terrible Super Bowl. In the past 11 years, where's Rodgers' Super Bowl appearance that would offset his other playoff failures?

Let's just say we move the goals posts and the narrative of this discussion around so that they fit other narratives and conclusions? What you are proposing didn't happen, what happened was follows. Fit your discussion around it.
What happened is that the Packers as a team gave up 13 points. That is enough for most offenses to win a playoff game.

I doubt anyone thinks he is blame-free, it’s just hard for some of us to pile all the blame on him (despite the expectation that he should be playing his ultimate best in a big game), especially based on one drive or one play.
Well a lot of people pile all the credit on Rodgers for victories, so that's why people are doing the opposite now.

Big L

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ll state it again, what % of anyone that follows the NFL would say the Packers lose if the Niners tally 13?

I would bet not even 10%

Some of you mention the weather, Niners defense etc. but not to be able to score another TD after the first drive of the game is unacceptable. It doesn’t matter that the Niners O only scored 6, because they ended up with 13, and it doesn’t matter how they got them. What matters is it’s the job of the Packers offense to score enough points to have more then the opposition at the end of the game. The Niners scoring 13 should have been a gift wrapped win for the Packers and they couldn’t even ketchup and muster one more TD the last 3 1/2 qtrs of that game.

Mentioning that great Niners D and the weather for the O not being able to score at least 14 points are excuses. Someone please tell me that you thought the Packers would have a reasonable chance to lose this game against the Niners under these weather conditions because the Pack wouldn’t score more then 13 points

Defense - A
Offense - C-
Rotten Teams - F

Good Night Everyone

Indy Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ll state it again, what % of anyone that follows the NFL would say the Packers lose if the Niners tally 13?

I would bet not even 10%

Some of you mention the weather, Niners defense etc. but not to be able to score another TD after the first drive of the game is unacceptable. It doesn’t matter that the Niners O only scored 6, because they ended up with 13, and it doesn’t matter how they got them. What matters is it’s the job of the Packers offense to score enough points to have more then the opposition at the end of the game. The Niners scoring 13 should have been a gift wrapped win for the Packers and they couldn’t even ketchup and muster one more TD the last 3 1/2 qtrs of that game.

Mentioning that great Niners D and the weather for the O not being able to score at least 14 points are excuses. Someone please tell me that you thought the Packers would have a reasonable chance to lose this game against the Niners under these weather conditions because the Pack wouldn’t score more then 13 points

Defense - A
Offense - C-
Rotten Teams - F

Good Night Everyone
I don't think anyone said the offense didn't deserve a lot of blame and I agree for the most part with your grades. I would probably even grade the offense lower. I just put most of the blame on the O-line since they were bad all night unlike rodgers (good for about 8 drives and bad for 2). Everything starts in the trenches and both o-lines were dominated which is why neither team could score.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't think anyone said the offense didn't deserve a lot of blame and I agree for the most part with your grades. I would probably even grade the offense lower. I just put most of the blame on the O-line since they were bad all night unlike rodgers (good for about 8 drives and bad for 2). Everything starts in the trenches and both o-lines were dominated which is why neither team could score.
Problem is, this narrative doesn't work for those that have been waiting quietly in the weeds to condemn Rodgers.

Most of those posters have returned to the weeds or will soon. They will only be back when something negative happens, just to get their after the fact "I told you so's" in.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When the Packers win it's because the players are awesome and the coaching is elite.

When the Packers lose it's always the fault of 1 or 2 players.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offense did struggle, mostly in giving a target on passing downs and protection on those downs as well. Nobody is saying the offense was good or great. The issue I have is with people saying, "well Rodgers should have done more" Why Rodgers? all things considered he played well. you put that pressure on even the best QB's and they're usually struggling and turning the ball over on top of it.

Things don't happen just because you think they should. It shows a lack of appreciation for the actual hard fought game you saw play out before you.

Big L

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank goodness for the defense, or it would have been worse

Big L

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem is, this narrative doesn't work for those that have been waiting quietly in the weeds to condemn Rodgers.

Most of those posters have returned to the weeds or will soon. They will only be back when something negative happens, just to get their after the fact "I told you so's" in.
That certainly isn’t me. But it’s pretty evident you are a huge AR fan - a little rose colored glasses on your part - maybe?

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If zero kicks were blocked in the game then the Packers probably win and I will still say that AR and the GB offense had a bad game. Unfortunately the Pack were on the wrong side of KARMA this time.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That certainly isn’t me. But it’s pretty evident you are a huge AR fan - a little rose colored glasses on your part - maybe?
I never said it was you, I guess you assumed maybe I meant you? Anyway, you obviously don't know me either, especially my opinions on Rodgers.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If zero kicks were blocked in the game then the Packers probably win and I will still say that AR and the GB offense had a bad game. Unfortunately the Pack were on the wrong side of KARMA this time.
Here's a thought... if you know your special teams suck, maybe try to limit how much they are on the field? Seems logical.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Here's a thought... if you know your special teams suck, maybe try to limit how much they are on the field? Seems logical.
So when it's 4th and whatever, from inside your own 20, go for it? Stop kicking FG's? Kick everything out of bounds on kickoffs? Great plan.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those of you who were asking for more plays where Rodgers missed an open receiver. Rodgers refused to take what the game gave him. Instead he kept looking for the bigger plays that weren't there.

14:01 second quarter

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

8:44 second quarter

5:29 fourth quarter

3:44 fourth quarter

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For those of you who were asking for more plays where Rodgers missed an open receiver. Rodgers refused to take what the game gave him. Instead he kept looking for the bigger plays that weren't there.

14:01 second quarter

8:44 second quarter

5:29 fourth quarter

3:44 fourth quarter

LOL....someone with a sharpie and a frame by frame birds eye view of the game, sure had to be bored to do all of that.

Did they add any context with each picture of damning evidence? You know like "On this play, Rodgers throws to Adams for 20 yards, but he had a wide open DeGuara at the line of scrimmage that he completely ignores."

You could do this for any game, and QB and get the same results. Some people have way to much free time.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL....someone with a sharpie and a frame by frame birds eye view of the game, sure had to be bored to do all of that.

Did they add any context with each picture of damning evidence? You know like "On this play, Rodgers throws to Adams for 20 yards, but he had a wide open DeGuara at the line of scrimmage that he completely ignores."
No, on 2 of those plays Rodgers held too long and was sacked, on one he ended up trying to run for no gain, and on the other one he tried to force it to Adams and was almost picked.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No, on 2 of those plays Rodgers held too long and was sacked, on one he ended up trying to run for no gain, and on the other one he tried to force it to Adams and was almost picked.
Again, if this is how fans/media want to fully evaluate a players abilities (birds eye view, frame by frame), I would disagree with the premise. Go back to each of those plays, and take a look at them from inside Rodgers helmet, at game speed, then lets talk.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, if this is how fans/media want to fully evaluate a players abilities (birds eye view, frame by frame), I would disagree with the premise. Go back to each of those plays, and take a look at them from inside Rodgers helmet, at game speed, then lets talk.
Now you're the one changing the goalposts. You asked for more plays, you got them. Now you want the impossible - no one has a camera view from inside Rodgers helmet.

I'm not going to blame Rodgers for a single play - hey sometimes a QB will miss an open receiver. But when it happens SEVERAL times, it shows what his mentality was. We already knew Rodgers has a penchant of passing up a short gain and looking for the home-run play.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Now you're the one changing the goalposts. You asked for more plays, you got them.
I doubt I was the one that asked for more plays and had I, I wouldn't have asked for another frame by frame birds eye view of other plays. Go through any game film of any team and do what you are doing here. You can probably find an open receiver on every play. Problem is, that isn't an accurate portrayal of what the QB sees in real time. Great game film to use in scouting your own team and other teams and their tendencies, but to use as evidence of "see he fu**ed up here, not a fan.

Also, I am not saying that Rodgers is perfect and on any of these plays, there might have been a better option. I just find it silly for fans to pick his decisions apart in this matter, because doing so isn't a true portrayal of what he sees.

Reminds me a bit of movie junkies that go through a movie frame by frame and then write up a list of the 10-100 things wrong with the movie. "See the moon isn't the same in this shot as it was 2 frames ago?"

Reaction score
I think there’s a handful of plays in each game that a QB might like to have back. This would’ve been more a problem if Rodgers throws 13/29 for 137 yards. Yet he had an “ok” game when factoring the elements and who he was playing.
Was it his preferred game? No
Was it his best performance? No
Personally I wouldn’t like to see a few more throws to Cobb or a TE in that 5+ yard range.

But Aaron Rodgers was 1 of many factors that lost that game. Personally, if I were to point blame, I’d put 51% on ST. They allowed a 45 yard return, they missed a 39 Yard FG + allowed a Block punt for a total of 10 points. Either one of those latter 2 puts probability of a Packers Win. Both of those key mistakes being erased puts the Packers at a 95% chance of putting the game away.
I saw some slop on OL and our O as a unit could’ve been more on point also. However those plays don’t necessarily = points. It reminds me of the Dallas Dez “no catch”. That play wouldn’t have necessarily decided a positive Dallas Win. There was plenty of time on the clock for GB to put that Game away for good. Yet everyone acts like there was 20 sec left and zero timeouts. NOT. If Dallas needed that 1 play to have a 50/50 shot at a W? They didn’t deserve to win. GB owned them and they know it.
SF owned us at ST and don’t think they weren’t ultra aggressive because the spotted out weak points prior to kickoff. Heck 90% of us could’ve called our ST being our own nemesis. We beat ourselves for lack of making proper adjustments at ST well before we played this game

Last edited:

Latest posts