Studs n duds Niners playoffs

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find myself disagreeing with what the media says on many topics. I'd love to see or hear about any of their great performances with no run game, no pass protection, and well below freezing temps.

I dont think I called his overall performance good or great. I said his 1st 8 drives were pretty great considering the conditions he was in as he was 19-25 for 220 and led his team to 4 potential scoring drives which various mistakes by other teammates resulted in GB only scoring 10 pts. His throw to Jones was on the money from the angles I saw and should've been a TD but jones drifted in and spun (to secure the catch?) and then got chased down and stayed in bounds. He also had a dropped 20 yd ball over the middle of the field so that makes it 20-25 for 240 if caught and another possession in SF territory. The last 2 drives were not good which brought his overall performance down but it was still not bad IMO. The order of blame should go ST > o-line > fumble and then you can discuss Rodgers but most seem to want pin it on Rodgers.
Those are the people that have just been waiting quietly looking for an excuse.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Since 2010 season we have had every excuse as to why Rodgers didnt get to another SB.

Def

St.

No true #2

MM

Things will never change
I would modify that statement to read:

"Since 2010 season we have had just about every excuse as to why the Packers didnt get to another SB."

If you want add Rodgers as an excuse, that's fine.

Indy Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since 2010 season we have had every excuse as to why Rodgers didnt get to another SB.

Def

St.

No true #2

MM

Things will never change
Average SB defenses have allowed 19 ppg in in the playoffs...Rodger's have allowed an avg of 26 in the playoffs, 21.5 for manning, and 20.5 for Brady. It appears others have had an advantage.

You finally built a defense and then forgot the ST. Your $20M LT not playing in the playoffs doesn't help either.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Def

St.

No true #2

MM

Things will never change
I reread your post and think I misinterpreted it to mean that Rodgers can’t get it done…. after re reading it I believe you were saying that Rodgers never gets any of the blame. If I‘m correct… I agree that he has been given a pass where he definitely should be shouldering some of the blame. I do agree that he and the offense should have scored more on Saturday night… and I do think he made mistakes that ended up costing us the game. I‘m just a little quicker to forgive that than you because I don’t believe we would have been in most of these games without him in the first place…. He can be frustrating, Just like Favre’s picks were frustrating…. but not as frustrating as watching Lynn D!Ckey finish with 9 or more losses every season. And not nearly as frustrating as watching David Whitehurst lose a game and believing as a young boy that the answer would be to put in Rich Campbell…Lol….

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Average SB defenses have allowed 19 ppg in in the playoffs...Rodger's have allowed an avg of 26 in the playoffs, 21.5 for manning, and 20.5 for Brady. It appears others have had an advantage.

You finally built a defense and then forgot the ST. Your $20M LT not playing in the playoffs doesn't help either.
Good stuff. I also think both defenses, while playing well, we're aided by the weather. I think by halftime it was pretty obvious that this was probably going to be a low scoring game. 7-0 at half and 7-3 after 3 quarters. One break either way wins games like that. A pick 6 was there for the taking by one of the Packers, different night, better conditions, maybe he gets it.

The 9'ers were smart, they exploited our biggest weakness...special teams. That blocked FG was well conceived. One player chopped Lowery' left hand, which he wanted to use to hold back Ward, who slipped right by and blocked the kick. The blocked punt, they knew where to overload the Packers blocking and pushed right by with ease.s

Last edited:

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Let's say special teams played flawlessly and gave up zero points, but the D gave up 16 points instead of 6. That's better than your average 19 ppg, and I don't think anyone would blame the D for the loss. If you told Packers fans before the game that the D and ST combined would give up 13 points, everyone would take that.

You gotta score more than 13 points to win 99% of playoff games. The offense deserves the blame for this loss.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's say special teams played flawlessly and gave up zero points, but the D gave up 16 points instead of 6. That's better than your average 19 ppg, and I don't think anyone would blame the D for the loss. If you told Packers fans before the game that the D and ST combined would give up 13 points, everyone would take that.

You gotta score more than 13 points to win 99% of playoff games. The offense deserves the blame for this loss.
100% this.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Statements like that show 100% dismissal of the actual game scenarios and conditions they just watched. It shows 100% lack of appreciation for the game of football. Brady won a super bowl 13-3 the previous week they won 37-31. Sometimes games are about defense and staying a live to play another down. That's where GB found themselves last Saturday, it's a shame some of you appreciate football so little yet still call yourself fans.

Indy Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Statements like that show 100% dismissal of the actual game scenarios and conditions they just watched. It shows 100% lack of appreciation for the game of football. Brady won a super bowl 13-3 the previous week they won 37-31. Sometimes games are about defense and staying a live to play another down. That's where GB found themselves last Saturday, it's a shame some of you appreciate football so little yet still call yourself fans.
13-3 in a dome with 150 yds on the ground, better protection, and Brady having the only turnover. They seem to be missing the many times some of us have said the offense is not blameless. Both offensive lines were dominated which is why neither team could move the ball. Therefore, they should get most of the blame for the lack of offense. Rodgers deserves some responsibility for having only one Super Bowl but the guy has been better than just about any QB in the playoffs. Unfortunately, he doesn't have Brady or Garoppolo luck. Fun fact, Brady received nearly a dozen possessions starting in his opponents territory in the last 2 playoffs. Rodgers barely had 1.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I reread your post and think I misinterpreted it to mean that Rodgers can’t get it done…. after re reading it I believe you were saying that Rodgers never gets any of the blame. If I‘m correct… I agree that he has been given a pass where he definitely should be shouldering some of the blame. I do agree that he and the offense should have scored more on Saturday night… and I do think he made mistakes that ended up costing us the game. I‘m just a little quicker to forgive that than you because I don’t believe we would have been in most of these games without him in the first place…. He can be frustrating, Just like Favre’s picks were frustrating…. but not as frustrating as watching Lynn D!Ckey finish with 9 or more losses every season. And not nearly as frustrating as watching David Whitehurst lose a game and believing as a young boy that the answer would be to put in Rich Campbell…Lol….
YESSS

People never blame him

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Let's just say we move the goals posts and the narrative of this discussion around so that they fit other narratives and conclusions? What you are proposing didn't happen, what happened was follows. Fit your discussion around it.

There was a game on Saturday night.

The Packers Offense scored 1 TD.

Packers Defense scored zero points.

Packers Special teams kicked 1 XP and 1 FG. Had 1 FG and 1 punt blocked.

Packers 10 Points.

The 49'ers Offense scored Zero points.

The 49ers Defense scored 0 points

The 49'ers Special teams score 1 TD, 1 XP, 2 FG's and blocked a FG and a punt.

49'ers 13 Points.

ADDED: I read Mondio's post AFTER I typed this.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It baffles me that people are still letting Rodgers off the hook. I'm the biggest Rodgers fan around but 10 points and numerous 3 & outs at home is just not good enough. Even more importantly, he was (yet again) at his worst when his best was needed. When the game was in the balance, he shrunk.

Here is the question: Will this humble him?

If he returns, will he stand in front of the team, show some humility and accountability and admit that he let them down. Can he look Rashan and Kenny, who played their hearts out, in the eye and take blame? Can he look Lazard, Degaura, and EQ in the eye and admit he decided not to trust them? I doubt it. He has been too cocky and arrogant for too long. If he is incapable of showing humility in this situation, there might be untenable fractures in the belief this team has in him as a QB and leader.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
YESSS

People never blame him
Skip Bayless does. Seriously though, he does get plenty of blame, maybe not so much on this board, but certainly by the media, etc. I recall him getting a huge amount of blame the last two years because of the turnovers. This year I think it’s different because of ST, weather conditions, injuries, the defense we were up against, and sub-par play by the collective offense, not just him.

I doubt anyone thinks he is blame-free, it’s just hard for some of us to pile all the blame on him (despite the expectation that he should be playing his ultimate best in a big game), especially based on one drive or one play.

That’s the problem with the QB-centric mentality. If Rodgers lost the game, does that mean Jimmy G. won it? Talk about getting by on good looks!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It baffles me that people are still letting Rodgers off the hook. I'm the biggest Rodgers fan around but 10 points and numerous 3 & outs at home is just not good enough. Even more importantly, he was (yet again) at his worst when his best was needed. When the game was in the balance, he shrunk.
It baffles me that people keep saying this, when I have not seen a single poster say that Rodgers was faultless in the loss and deserves no blame. The whole team, top to bottom lost a team game. Very few players played all that well and most of those that did, were on the defensive side of the ball. If you can't give the 49'ers some credit for playing really well, then you aren't a football fan.

What do you posters want, Aaron Rodgers burned at the stake, after he goes on ESPN and reads a long list of apologies?

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Here is the question: Will this humble him?

If he returns, will he stand in front of the team, show some humility and accountability and admit that he let them down. Can he look Rashan and Kenny, who played their hearts out, in the eye and take blame? Can he look Lazard, Degaura, and EQ in the eye and admit he decided not to trust them? I doubt it. He has been too cocky and arrogant for too long. If he is incapable of showing humility in this situation, there might be untenable fractures in the belief this team has in him as a QB and leader.
he shrunk huh? He was at his worst huh? EQ? yeah, he was open all night, on one play long after the ball was gone. LOL Deguara, open all night, or that one he dropped at midfield LOL

He didn't make any spectacular plays, though I would say, 1 time out from your own 4 yard line with 20 seconds and 1 timeout you get to chipshot FG range against that defense on a very cold night should qualify. At least as much as Mahomes with 2 timeouts and his absolute best playmakers running wide open qualifies.

But he was at his worst? Another guy that calls himself a fan that has zero sense or appreciation for the game of football. Rodgers just should have made plays because they say so.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
he shrunk huh? He was at his worst huh? EQ? yeah, he was open all night, on one play long after the ball was gone. LOL Deguara, open all night, or that one he dropped at midfield LOL

He didn't make any spectacular plays, though I would say, 1 time out from your own 4 yard line with 20 seconds and 1 timeout you get to chipshot FG range against that defense on a very cold night should qualify. At least as much as Mahomes with 2 timeouts and his absolute best playmakers running wide open qualifies.

But he was at his worst? Another guy that calls himself a fan that has zero sense or appreciation for the game of football. Rodgers just should have made plays because they say so.
Stop with the facts....you're just being a Rogers apologist like the rest of us! :roflmao:

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You're delusional. Pce.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Honestly, I almost wish Rodgers had thrown a couple of pick 6's, fumbled the ball twice and stood at midfield and shat on the Packer G. Then all these people wanting to vent about Rodgers, could have an unencumbered field day over this one game and get all those pent-up hostilities out of their systems.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I almost wish Rodgers had thrown a couple of pick 6's, fumbled the ball twice and stood at midfield and shat on the Packer G. Then all these people wanting to vent about Rodgers, could have an unencumbered field day over this one game and get all those pent-up hostilities out of their systems.
at least they would have an excuse that way lol.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at least they would have an excuse that way lol.
Yup, having more specifics than not living up to a nine-figure contract and all the adulation would make the criticism more acceptable to some.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, having more specifics than not living up to a nine-figure contract and all the adulation would make the criticism more acceptable to some.
More like him actually having contributed to the loss would make the criticism more acceptable to some.

I'm kidding of course. I don't think anyone has said Rodgers could not have played better and that he didn't contribute to the loss. Unlike some people who seem to want to hang the whole thing on him and ignore the other glaring **** ups.

You know those with the attitude that special teams isn't to blame because our HOF QB should have been able to put more than 10 points on the board.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So nothing else that Rodgers did this season or during that contract period, would be considered "living up to his contract"? It all came down to that one game?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts