Studs and Duds vs Da Bears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THere was never any thought in letting the clock run down without kicking. It was BEFORE the Jordy throw. Play for overtime, or go for it. WHich wasn't a light decision. Our offense hadn't gotten a 1st down in like 15 minutes of football and was barely on the positive side of yards gained in 3 posessions. If we pass and miss, then have to punt, the Bears had 2 timeouts left against a defense they had been gashing for like 20 a play. Plenty of time and opportunity for them to get into position to try a game winning FG.

Going for a deep pass on 3rd and 11 was hardly an easy choice, and discussing playing for the tie at that point wasn't stupid either. Incomplete pass and there's a good chance we lose that game.

Once the play was complete, there wasn't ever any other consideration other than to go up and down it and kick the game winner and go home.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
STUDS: Monty, Rodgers, Nelson, OL, Ha Ha, Crosby
DUDS: Second half defense, Adams, MM for not taking points in first half.

I will say on MM behalf that we give him grief about always playing it safe and when he finally gets a little gutsy and goes for it on 4th down we can't exactly jump down his throat for trying someone everyone has been asking for all year.
MM was 50/50 on being aggressive and then conservative. Going for it early (4th and 2) and not picking up the first down. Later, he kicked a FG on 4th down from the Bears 1 after Rodgers scramble came up short. I would have rather have seen those 2 decisions flipped, but like you said....not matter what decision he makes, there are going to be people questioning it, unless of course it is going for it and he succeeds.

On the flip side there was a quote from MM saying that after the throw to Jordy he planned on letting the clock run and go into OT. So without Rodgers quick reaction to the throw we would have had OT in -10 temp. I don't know how true this is but I would hate to think there is any coach out there that wouldn't want to go for the win when you have a good kicker well within his range. I seriously hope that statement isn't true.

I would like to read that quote. I can see him thinking about playing for OT up until that pass to Jordy was successful, but no way would he be thinking that after the catch.

D

Deleted member 6794

I will always thank Richard Rodgers for that clutch Hail Mary grab in Detroit, but for the most part, he has been disappointing in the sense of not improving. While I never expected him to get faster, I had hoped his blocking would improve and his value in the red zone would continue. But with only 1 TD, an 8.8 yds/catch ave. and a total of 237 yards, not so sure he will be around next year.

I too hope Cook can be brought back next year. Now that he has been healthy, he has begun to show what he can do. As his chemistry with AR grows, I see some good things coming from him.

With Richard Rodgers under contract for next season at only $800K I expect him to be back.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
With Richard Rodgers under contract for next season at only $800K I expect him to be back.
Sad, but true. $800K is nothing for a back-up for sure. But with his dead Cap hit only being $126,5o4 there will be no reason to keep him around if they find more promising players to fill his roster spot. They really need to resign Cook and then use the draft and FA market (ha ha) to strengthen the position. I would take a seasoned middle of the road vet, with some solid blocking skills on a low end deal over RR, as long as they keep Cook.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sad, but true. $800K is nothing for a back-up for sure. But with his dead Cap hit only being $126,5o4 there will be no reason to keep him around if they find more promising players to fill his roster spot. They really need to resign Cook and then use the draft and FA market (ha ha) to strengthen the position. I would take a seasoned middle of the road vet, with some solid blocking skills on a low end deal over RR, as long as they keep Cook.

I would be absolutely fine with replacing Rodgers with a better tight end but I expect him to be at least the third best on the roster at the start of next season.

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said, if the play is there I understand AR going for it and we all know that he does. However, there have been some times where it really looked like he got greedy and missed a lot easier of an opportunity closer to the first down sticks.

I get your point though. I doubt AR is saying "F the first down, I want a TD", afterall, AR is.......AR. But from a fan's perspective, it appears to be a wasted opportunity to keep a drive alive when it does fail.

Two longer than 1st down yardage today so far on 3rd down and two TDs on them.
Agree completely. Whether called by MM or decided at the line by AR, those play when you need 8 or 9 yards -- go for 8 or 9 yards! Not 15-20. Longer routes take too long to develop when the QB is too gimpy to scramble effectively.

West Coast offense: short slants to WR, toss to RB out in the flat, hit the TE, feed the RB when he's getting yards, throw downfield on 2nd and short once in a while to keep the D honest, move the chains, burn the clock, win the game.

And keep the highly inconsistent defense off the field.
you weren't in my living room or you would have seen exactly that. I am happy that they won, but my initial reaction to that throw to Jordy was actually irritation mixed with elation followed by acceptance when I realized how little time was left on the clock when the attempt was made.

So two longer than needed throws on third down today so far and two TDs.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two longer than 1st down yardage today so far on 3rd down and two TDs on them.

So two longer than needed throws on third down today so far and two TDs.
That first Nelson TD was thrown about two yards past the sticks.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right on that one after seeing it again. My bad.

R Rodgers TD was much longer though.
Agreed... and I have no problem with it. My main point is that you should take what the defense is giving you. The Packers offense was trying short passes early and the Vikings D was shutting it down , but consequently they were leaving longer passes open.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very minuscule but I would rather Kyle Murphy be active gamedays than Barclay. Let the young guy get some valuable snaps to help him get ready if pushed to play. We know what Barclay has to offer and that's pure garbage!!! Great win today PACKERS!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest posts