Studs and Duds Thursday Night vs the 49ers.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm talking about next year. In the off season the Packers need to overhaul their defensive line. I think that is pretty clear.
If you have been paying attention to the cap situation next year, you will realize how unlikely that is. Expecting to replace all those guys through the draft is equally unrealistic.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
If you have been paying attention to the cap situation next year, you will realize how unlikely that is. Expecting to replace all those guys through the draft is equally unrealistic.

I've been paying attention. Clark, Lowry, and Keke are the only ones that are under contract. I'm okay with keeping Keke and I would be thrilled if they cut Lowry. Lowry is the only one under contract of the duds that I mentioned. Someone will have to play the DL. Because of the reduction in cap space there will be veteran casualties and a lot of guys will realistically have to sign for less than they want to. Realistically, we only have to replace two players I mentioned. I think that is very likely.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm talking about next year. In the off season the Packers need to overhaul their defensive line. I think that is pretty clear.

I agree the Packers need to improve the defensive line next offseason. Unfortunately as has been mentioned above the team won't have a lot of cap space to get it done.

Krabs

Reaction score
I agree the Packers need to improve the defensive line next offseason. Unfortunately as has been mentioned above the team won't have a lot of cap space to get it done.

But you need players. As I said, Clark, Lowry, and Keke are the only d-lineman under contract. Let Lancaster walk. I like the guy and he has a good story, but I've seen him get his butt kicked too many times. He is easily upgraded even with a rookie. We can let M. Adams walk. He's shown a little promise lately, but very replaceable. If we cut Lowry that is a $3.3M savings against the cap with $3M of dead money. They might hold onto him for that.

Everyone is focusing on the cap is going down. This is true and a lot of teams will be in cap trouble. That means there will be a ton of cap casualties and veteran players will realize that if they want to play they are going to have to take a pay cut. There might be a lot of one year deals next season. They also expanded the roster. That means even more players are going to be signed to teams. It's only logical that the salaries are going to have to go down and good players will be available. Better than Lancaster, M. Adams and Lowry. Easily an upgraded position that will be cap friendly.

D

Deleted member 6794

But you need players. As I said, Clark, Lowry, and Keke are the only d-lineman under contract. Let Lancaster walk. I like the guy and he has a good story, but I've seen him get his butt kicked too many times. He is easily upgraded even with a rookie. We can let M. Adams walk. He's shown a little promise lately, but very replaceable. If we cut Lowry that is a $3.3M savings against the cap with $3M of dead money. They might hold onto him for that.

Everyone is focusing on the cap is going down. This is true and a lot of teams will be in cap trouble. That means there will be a ton of cap casualties and veteran players will realize that if they want to play they are going to have to take a pay cut. There might be a lot of one year deals next season. They also expanded the roster. That means even more players are going to be signed to teams. It's only logical that the salaries are going to have to go down and good players will be available. Better than Lancaster, M. Adams and Lowry. Easily an upgraded position that will be cap friendly.[/QUOTE]

I agree the Packers will definitely need to sign some players on the defensive line for next season. Unfortunately I'm not convinced they will enough cap space available or that there will be that many veterans signing for a bargain to actually upgrade the position in free agency next offseason. The draft might be the only way to improve the talent level.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Packers have a lot of places to improve next year; oline is one but corner is also going to be pretty terrible if King leaves (will also be kinda bad if the Packers overpay and keep King) and obviously receiver/TE is still a weakness.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
corner is also going to be pretty terrible if King leaves (will also be kinda bad if the Packers overpay and keep King) and obviously receiver/TE is still a weakness.

CB is definitely going to once again need to be addressed. I think King's latest injury might have been the final nail in his coffin with the Packers and for that matter most other teams. If the Packers don't immediately resign him, which is what I expect, some team might get stupid, overlook his injury history and pay him big money based on the hope he stays healthy. I hope that happens, better comp. pick potential for us. If he isn't getting big offers, there is probably that chance that he eventually resigns with the Packers on a short incentive type deal.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
with expanding the playoffs, lots of teams will just play enough to get there, trying to nurse a guy like King to the end might be in some team's plans to just keep him healthy or the playoffs while relying on the rest of the team to get them there. It's not going to take as much to get there as it used to. I would not commit any significant dollars to him though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
with expanding the playoffs, lots of teams will just play enough to get there, trying to nurse a guy like King to the end might be in some team's plans to just keep him healthy or the playoffs while relying on the rest of the team to get them there. It's not going to take as much to get there as it used to. I would not commit any significant dollars to him though.

I agree with that probably being the strategy that a team might employ to get the most out of King, but man I would't want a guy like that on the team. Reminds me of "In case of emergency, break glass." Also, as you said, if that is the case, he isn't worth much. Carrying him on the roster, trying to decide what "big games" you have him ready for, when he practices, etc. and still not knowing if he will make it through a whole game. Reminds me a bit of former Packer CB Sam Shields after all of his concussions.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with that probably being the strategy that a team might employ to get the most out of King, but man I would't want a guy like that on the team. Reminds me of "In case of emergency, break glass." Also, as you said, if that is the case, he isn't worth much. Carrying him on the roster, trying to decide what "big games" you have him ready for, when he practices, etc. and still not knowing if he will make it through a whole game. Reminds me a bit of former Packer CB Sam Shields after all of his concussions.
Unfortunately it seems like that is what we have been doing with him. I’m ready to let him walk.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
definitely. You don't want to have to rely on him at all, as he's likely not going to be there. But teams do strange things sometimes. I'd keep him on the roster on very moderate to cheap contract, and hope he's 3rd or 4th guy. But can't be paid or counted upon to be 1 or 2

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Unfortunately it seems like that is what we have been doing with him. I’m ready to let him walk.

Fortunately, we have been doing it at a "cheap" price ($1.43M) given that he is on the 4th and final year of his rookie deal. That definitely makes his on again off again availability status more palatable.

What would fans hear consider resigning him for, if at all? I think he will get at least $5M/year offer, with some incentives thrown in. That would put him around #35 in pay as of this year.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fortunately, we have been doing it at a "cheap" price ($1.43M) given that he is on the 4th and final year of his rookie deal. That definitely makes his on again off again availability status more palatable.

What would fans hear consider resigning him for, if at all? I think he will get at least $5M/year offer, with some incentives thrown in. That would put him around #35 in pay as of this year.
I’m afraid those numbers might even be a little low.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I’m afraid those numbers might even be a little low.

I assume you mean my guess of $5M/year? Could be, good corners are not cheap. But I wouldn't want to pay a guy that has missed as many game with injuries as he has much more than top 40 money. Nor will the Packers probably be able to justify that much of the cap towards him.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So are many, but this team doesn't exactly have a ton of young corners with a lot of potential on the roster. Next year, assuming King leaves, you're looking at Alexander, Jackson, Sullivan, and Hollman as the ONLY corners on the roster. Just imagine the passing defense with 3 of those guys on the field...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So are many, but this team doesn't exactly have a ton of young corners with a lot of potential on the roster. Next year, assuming King leaves, you're looking at Alexander, Jackson, Sullivan, and Hollman as the ONLY corners on the roster. Just imagine the passing defense with 3 of those guys on the field.

I don't think many of us are denying that King is a decent CB, but his availability is what is being questioned. I would love to have him back, but only on a deal that fully reflected his past injury history. That just doesn't seem to happen often enough in the NFL, some team will be desperate enough to overlook it and pay him more than what many of us feel he is worth. The Packers in the meantime can move on by spending some draft picks or sign a FA that might end up being cheaper and more reliable. Nick Perry comes to mind. The Packers were desperate at OLB and TT ended up giving Perry way too much money for a injury prone and even worse, not that talented Perry. Perry signed a 5 year $60M deal and barely lasted 2 of those years, he was released and hasn't played football since.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So are many, but this team doesn't exactly have a ton of young corners with a lot of potential on the roster. Next year, assuming King leaves, you're looking at Alexander, Jackson, Sullivan, and Hollman as the ONLY corners on the roster. Just imagine the passing defense with 3 of those guys on the field...
I agree ... and if we could keep him around for what he is currently being paid ... I’d be all for it. I actually think his absence is a big part of the decline in the defense this year. However, due to the fact that it is unlikely that he will remain healthy for an entire season, I would not want to pay him second contract money ... even if we could.

Krabs

Reaction score
I agree ... and if we could keep him around for what he is currently being paid ... I’d be all for it. I actually think his absence is a big part of the decline in the defense this year. However, due to the fact that it is unlikely that he will remain healthy for an entire season, I would not want to pay him second contract money ... even if we could.

I have a feeling King is gone. I would like to see them re-sign Sullivan. Both Jackson and Hollman we have under their rookie contracts yet. I actually don't mind Hollman. I think he will continue to grow. I think we have seen Jackson's ceiling. In the end, they have to address corner back regardless. With or without King they need another guy to match up with Alexander.

D

Deleted member 6794

with expanding the playoffs, lots of teams will just play enough to get there, trying to nurse a guy like King to the end might be in some team's plans to just keep him healthy or the playoffs while relying on the rest of the team to get them there.

I don't believe adding one playoff team per conference will change a whole lot about most teams' approach.

I assume you mean my guess of $5M/year? Could be, good corners are not cheap. But I wouldn't want to pay a guy that has missed as many game with injuries as he has much more than top 40 money. Nor will the Packers probably be able to justify that much of the cap towards him.

In my opinion King doesn't deserve to be paid like a top #2 cornerback in the league. I fully expect another team to offer him more money based on potential than the Packers should.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
teams have already changed their approach from what it was in the 90's. you also think the talk about adding a couple playoff games isn't about money. You're probably right though it's player safety and covid...

Members online

Latest posts