Week two: Falcons blowout studs and duds.

Sky King

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be something if the FO valued ILB more than it apparently has? It would be nice not to have to concede either the run or the pass because the players lack the skillset or physical stature to be more competitive against the best. Maybe the Josh Jones-type will turn out to be the better (single-player) answer long-term. But he'll need backups, too. Burnett is a little light in the pants for this role except in a pinch or against inferior competition. He was swallowed whole on some plays by Atlanta O linemen weighing nearly 100 lbs. more than him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Overreacting? We saw the same exact team do the same exact thing they did to us to end our last season. They are clearly a much better team. What do we have to be optimistic about?

No, no you're right. Let's just pack it up and forfeit the rest of the schedule. If this league has taught us anything, it's that we know how the story ends by week 2. The rest of the season is a formality.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotta give Murphy and Pankey at least a half-stud. As bad as the offense looked, that wasn't on them. That broken, backwards pass play was due to the interior completely crapping the bed.
I'll agree Murphy and Pankey were pleasant surprises. Pankey could be a good guard. Murphy is an adequate swing tackle, nice to have. The 2nd rounder Spriggs appears a bust and the 6th rounder makes it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Well they don't play as often, but the last two times they've played each other the Chiefs have blown out the Patriots in dramatic fashion. It would seem to follow by the basic logic of this argument that KC > NE. Which, in my mind, illustrates the weakness of using head to head as the sole indicator.

I think that the Packers and Falcons are fairly comparable in terms of overall talent. If the Packers see the Falcons in the playoffs with most of their current roster available, I think that will show itself. If either of these teams has to play the other minus numerous key players, I think the other is good enough to trounce them.

Not really sure what point you are trying to prove to be honest.

In the last 10 months and a few weeks, the Packers are 0-3 against the Falcons, 2 of those being complete blowouts and the Falcons made it to the Super Bowl last year.

The Patriots on the other hand, in the last year are actually 1-1 against the Chiefs and made it to the Super Bowl. I think you forgot about the playoff game in between those blowouts and that other blowout was 3 years ago. In the last 5 games between those 2 teams, the Pats are up 3-2.

If you want to interpret that as the Chiefs are better than the Patriots, so be it.

Last edited:

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When they've played awful the last 2 times. It's not hard to call anything an improvement. But they moved the ball at will. They were chasing Julio at least a step behind. If not for them going conservative, they could've kept piling them up

It's already time to play King, Jones, Brice, as much as possible. I'm finally off the rosy view that either Rollins or Randall will develop. Make them backups while they are still cheap.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: Randall and Rollins are NOT starting caliber corners. I've never seen any two corners chase as much as these bums. Waste of 1st and 2nd rd picks.

It's time to rebuild this defense and go back to a 4-3 scheme.

Did you not see Ahmad Carroll or Joey Thomas ? They were worse. Same draft as well, 2004.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Not really sure what point you are trying to prove to be honest.

In the last 10 months and a few weeks, the Packers are 0-3 against the Falcons, 2 of those being complete blowouts and the Falcons made it to the Super Bowl last year.

The Patriots on the other hand, in the last year are actually 1-1 against the Chiefs and made it to the Super Bowl. I think you forgot about the playoff game in between those blowouts and that other blowout was 3 years ago. In the last 5 games between those 2 teams, the Pats are up 3-2.

If you want to interpret that as the Chiefs are better than the Patriots, so be it.

I think the points I'm making are clear, though you may disagree with them.

1. Drawing conclusions about who is much better than who for 2017 when you're in week 2 is misguided.

2. Discounting a slew of injuries to key players in judging what we can conclude from this loss makes absolutely no sense.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I keep having flashbacks of Ahmad Carroll and Joey Thomas, except that Carroll actually got close enough to receivers to get flagged.

I posted before I saw yours. I was absolutely sure my post would be the only one with an Ahmad Carroll and Joey Thomas reference. No Terrell Buckley?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think the points I'm making are clear, though you may disagree with them.

1. Drawing conclusions about who is much better than who for 2017 when you're in week 2 is misguided.

2. Discounting a slew of injuries to key players in judging what we can conclude from this loss makes absolutely no sense.

Your point of inferring that anyone is saying the Chiefs are much better than the Patriots muddied up your point. ;)

How is declaring the current Falcons team better than the current Packers team in week 2 misguided? Was it misguided last January? Are the Bears just as good as the Packers right now, since we have yet to play them?

3 games.......in 10+ months. 3 losses, total score: 111-76. Why play the games, if you are going to say "well if this player or that player wasn't injured, the outcome might have been different"? Injuries are a part of the game and the only thing that counts is a win or a loss... The Packers are 0-3 against.....a better team, how hard is that to acknowledge?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
How is declaring the current Falcons team better than the current Packers team in week 2 misguided? Was it misguided last January? Are the Bears just as good as the Packers right now, since we have yet to play them?

3 games.......in 10+ months. 3 losses, total score: 111-76. Why play the games, if you are going to say "well if this player or that player wasn't injured, the outcome might have been different"? Injuries are a part of the game and the only thing that counts is a win or a loss.

Because as I'm reading this thread it's going way beyond "they were better than us yesterday" or even "they are better than us right now." It's a bunch of people on full tilt who seem to have resigned themselves to the impossibility of the Packers ever being able to beat the Falcons, and who seem to think any shot at a championship is gone here in week two. And I'm not even exaggerating.

I expected a loss in this spot when I saw the schedule and realized it was their stadium opener. I really expected a loss when I saw who the tackles were. And I resigned myself to it when we lost Nelson and Daniels. So maybe I'm not as shaken because this game turned out about how I thought it would. It didn't change what I think of the team or their chances. All this told me is that they're going to need to have their best players back, at least most of them, to beat Atlanta on the road.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Fair enough. I didn't expect the Packers to win yesterday either, even had both Bulaga and Bahk suited up. However, despite losing Daniels, I did expect the Packers defense to look better than they did in their last meeting, when some people wanted to blame the loss on the health of the CB's...those guys looked pretty healthy yesterday, but sadly, the overall defense looked pretty much identical in both losses. So knowing what we know from last year, it's really hard to be too optimistic about the Packers chances of getting by a really good team like Atlanta. Near perfect health and a magic wand waved over the secondary, might get us to the promised land, but I wouldn't back on either of those things happening. The Packers are a top 10 team IMO, but not top 5 right now.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you not see Ahmad Carroll or Joey Thomas ? They were worse. Same draft as well, 2004.
I'm an Arkansas fan as well, and just shook my head at the Carroll pick. I was only 16 at the time, but i knew there was no way he would work out. He seemed to want a romantic relationship with all of the receivers, as much as he was holding them.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense is bad. Offensive playcalling is uninspired and we can't run, so CBs just sit on the slow-developing iso routes. Just too many weaknesses for this to be a SB team.

I've seen every game on tv since 1984. I can tell what Green Bay's play will be about 80% of the time. I'm not an expert. I've seen Caper's defenses suck, look lost and confused for years. It is certainly time for a change at D.C.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I posted before I saw yours. I was absolutely sure my post would be the only one with an Ahmad Carroll and Joey Thomas reference. No Terrell Buckley?
I had brought up Terrell Buckley this offseason when nothing was being done to address cb position, figured he may come at TT price range at this point of his career, but then TT shored things up with house, and with Randall and Rollins back healthy was informed that there was no need to worry!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They were bad but at least they stayed close enough to the WRs to hold when they got beat Haha. They need to just concede to the fact that they screwed up with the Randall and Rollins picks and give King and Hawkins a chance.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO we need a simpler less convoluted defense, one that allows TT to get back to drafting his kind of player or big strong guys who run fast.

Members online

Latest posts