Studs and Duds vs Da Bears

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That shovel pass should have been a big gain.

Ty had three lineman out front and the defensive line was completely fooled.

The Bear defender made a great play while Taylor and Lang whiffed on him.

If either does their job, Ty gets a big gain, and that play call looks good.

If that shovel pass is intercepted (as it nearly was) the Bears probably win the game.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I just happen to see comments like this all the time when the Packers throw longer than they need and don't pick it up, but there is nobody complianing about a deep call that worked.

Also, Packers are 3rd in the league in 3rd down conversions (.6 percent away from number one).

Their third down calls while balancing deep balls is good based on that.

Like I said, if the play is there I understand AR going for it and we all know that he does. However, there have been some times where it really looked like he got greedy and missed a lot easier of an opportunity closer to the first down sticks.

I get your point though. I doubt AR is saying "F the first down, I want a TD", afterall, AR is.......AR. But from a fan's perspective, it appears to be a wasted opportunity to keep a drive alive when it does fail.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just when you think Davante Adams turned a corner and you have faith in him, he has a game like yesterday to make you throw the remote through your TV.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ty was the real deal yesterday. We haven't seen a burst lIke that since Ahman Green. It's high time MM uses Ty out of the backfield on wheel routes or more screens. With a healthy Cook, teams won't have the luxury of covering Ty out of the backfield with a safety. Rough day for Randall. His performance was a complete mess. Shields is sorely missed. If the Packers are serious about winning another SB next year they will have to go get a cover corner that won't need two years to develop.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: FOX Broadcast team for basically giving the Packers a W when they were up 27-10.
I actually like them.
I really enjoyed the excitement they had at broadcasting this legendary rivalry.
They were glad to be there and it showed.
They brought some life and you can tell they like the Packers.
I prefer them than the ongoing droning and deadpan other non-exciting broadcasters bring.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that shovel pass is intercepted (as it nearly was) the Bears probably win the game.

After watching it again, I disagree it was nearly picked. A defensive lineman was near, but he wasn't close to catching it.

Besides, if the ball was picked, that's poor execution and not automatically a bad play call.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously the throw to Jordy on the last series was necessary because they had very little time, no time outs and a long way to go to get into field goal range. With two minutes on the clock and two or three timeouts I absolutely would be unhappy with that play call on third down.

So the mutilple posters are correct about time being a factor on the Jordy's deep ball.

It doesn't change though the Packers have been successful other times recently going deep on third down.

Just picking trying to pick up the necessary yards on every third down, like some guys are suggesting, doesn't make sense to me.

There have been many other successful longer passes on 3rd for the Packers recently.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I finally watched the first three quarters tonight since I missed them yesterday.Studs- Ty has great vision and elusiveness,and that burst of speed Michael showed on his TD run made me say "wow" out loud. AR,HHCD,Jordy,Cook and the OL are studs also. Duds-4th quarter D"could not bring myself to watch the 4th quarter as I heard most of it on the radio"pathetic" Another lesser dud is RR and his run blocking. On a play in the 1st half when Michael is tackled for a loss he just spins in a circle and lets 2 defenders go by. Marshall Newhouse of TE's

D

Deleted member 6794

I rewatched the end as well and you are right Captain, it would be have been extremely close without those 10 seconds, I do think AR was watching the clock and kind of took his time, knowing there was enough, but glad he had it. Poppa brings up a good point, especially with Rodgers not at full speed, it would be wise to have a play in their arsenal to do just what Poppa stated. Have the other 10 guys hustle to the line, Rodgers would have to stop forward progress somewhere on the field and just get that ball snapped and spiked.

I would be extremely nervous about a penalty with anyone else than a quarterback taking the snap. Maybe have Rodgers hobble out of bounds and let Hundley spike it.

Maybe a few big gains on first down skewed that average. How many 2nd and long and 3rd and longs ?

True, the Packers had four plays of at least 20 yards on first down vs. the Bears but you can´t ignore them when talking about their performance. You´re right about the team being in a lot of second and long situations though as they failed to gain more than three yards on 17 first down plays.

Sure Rodgers is great and has a better than average success rate withe the long ball.

Actually Rodgers was the least accurate quarterback on throws of more than 20 yards in the air at some point during the season. I don´t have access to current information though.

That deep throw to Jordy was necessary because of the short time left and had to get into FG range. It would have been better if he had scored a TD, then you would not have the risk of a missed FG.

But the Packers would have risked the prevent defense giving up another touchdown though. :sneaky:

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, the Packers had four plays of at least 20 yards on first down vs. the Bears but you can´t ignore them when talking about their performance. You´re right about the team being in a lot of second and long situations though as they failed to gain more than three yards on 17 first down plays.

Thanks for that information. I had a feeling that the Packers offense was encountering a lot of 2nd and longs and 3rd and longs. It's not that I'm against a deep pass play on first downs, but if it fails be more conservative on second and third downs and just get the first down. Actually a deep pass play on first down is probably the best time to do it. It is the least expected time for it. I kind of remember in the Bart Starr days how they would throw a deep pass on say 2nd and 1 where the defense was expecting a run. If it failed they had another play to get the one yard.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thanks for that information. I had a feeling that the Packers offense was encountering a lot of 2nd and longs and 3rd and longs. It's not that I'm against a deep pass play on first downs, but if it fails be more conservative on second and third downs and just get the first down. Actually a deep pass play on first down is probably the best time to do it. It is the least expected time for it. I kind of remember in the Bart Starr days how they would throw a deep pass on say 2nd and 1 where the defense was expecting a run. If it failed they had another play to get the one yard.

I prefer the Packers to predominantly use a ball control, short passing game. Running it successfully will lead to opportunities to complete long passes over the course of a game.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I prefer the Packers to predominantly use a ball control, short passing game. Running it successfully will lead to opportunities to complete long passes over the course of a game.

Agree 100 %. You do have to occasionally throw a deep pass to keep the defenses honest from bunching up on the line.

I worry when Rodgers has to drop back and attempt to convert a 3rd and 10+. That's when the defense tees off on him.

D

Deleted member 6794

I worry when Rodgers has to drop back and attempt to convert a 3rd and 10+. That's when the defense tees off on him.

The Packers are third most successful team converting third or fourth and 10+ yards this season though at 18.7%.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That means an 81.3% chance that AR gets sacked and injured.........Don't like it !
umm no....it doesn't mean that at all

I have seen some creative use of statistics, but this could quite possibly be the biggest set of assumptions I have seen in a long time.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was going with the 'give the guy a break' response, but then I noticed that there wasn't a thing to indicate humor or sarcasm, so maybe he really doesn't understand there can be more than those two options.

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I finally watched the first three quarters tonight since I missed them yesterday.Studs- Ty has great vision and elusiveness,and that burst of speed Michael showed on his TD run made me say "wow" out loud. AR,HHCD,Jordy,Cook and the OL are studs also. Duds-4th quarter D"could not bring myself to watch the 4th quarter as I heard most of it on the radio"pathetic" Another lesser dud is RR and his run blocking. On a play in the 1st half when Michael is tackled for a loss he just spins in a circle and lets 2 defenders go by. Marshall Newhouse of TE's

I watched him on a few run plays. He is truly useless. He really puts no effort at all into trying to block. I would not be opposed to bringing Cook back next year, but RR has to go he is terrible!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I watched him on a few run plays. He is truly useless. He really puts no effort at all into trying to block. I would not be opposed to bringing Cook back next year, but RR has to go he is terrible!

I will always thank Richard Rodgers for that clutch Hail Mary grab in Detroit, but for the most part, he has been disappointing in the sense of not improving. While I never expected him to get faster, I had hoped his blocking would improve and his value in the red zone would continue. But with only 1 TD, an 8.8 yds/catch ave. and a total of 237 yards, not so sure he will be around next year.

I too hope Cook can be brought back next year. Now that he has been healthy, he has begun to show what he can do. As his chemistry with AR grows, I see some good things coming from him.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're going to go for it on fourth down, make it a quick throw, not a long wait in the pocket.

Totally agree. For 2 games they were using the quick throws to keep the ball moving and it was working. I can't figure out who is always wanting the long passes. MM or AR

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Totally agree. For 2 games they were using the quick throws to keep the ball moving and it was working. I can't figure out who is always wanting the long passes. MM or AR
Both, when they work ;)

We may never know, but I think if AR sees a matchup he likes, he sure isn't afraid to audible out of the called play and go for broke. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I imagine MM has finally come to terms with this and knows that he has to trust AR's instincts, no matter what the results are.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
STUDS: Monty, Rodgers, Nelson, OL, Ha Ha, Crosby
DUDS: Second half defense, Adams, MM for not taking points in first half.

I will say on MM behalf that we give him grief about always playing it safe and when he finally gets a little gutsy and goes for it on 4th down we can't exactly jump down his throat for trying someone everyone has been asking for all year. On the flip side there was a quote from MM saying that after the throw to Jordy he planned on letting the clock run and go into OT. So without Rodgers quick reaction to the throw we would have had OT in -10 temp. I don't know how true this is but I would hate to think there is any coach out there that wouldn't want to go for the win when you have a good kicker well within his range. I seriously hope that statement isn't true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts