Studs and Duds Thursday Night vs the 49ers.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs
Aaron Rodgers
Davante Adams (my goodness adams is having a crazy season)
Tyler Ervin
MVS
entire OL
Zadarius
Preston
Gary
Mason Crosby

Duds
Dean Lowery
Josh Jackson
Injuries (good grief way to many injuries Jaire, Barnes, Wagner, Williams)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Was it just me or did that almost feel like a scrimmage tonight? Maybe my mindset, no fans in the stands and their backup QB was worse than I remember Kizer or Hundley being. Seemed like the outcome was never in doubt and really it was just a matter of not making a series of dumb mistakes and an easy W.

Crap, as I typed that out, I started thinking "Did I steal that from a 49'er fan page after both of last years games? :coffee:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was it just me or did that almost feel like a scrimmage tonight? Maybe my mindset, no fans in the stands and their backup QB was worse than I remember Kizer or Hundley being. Seemed like the outcome was never in doubt and really it was just a matter of not making a series of dumb mistakes and an easy W.

Crap, as I typed that out, I started thinking "Did I steal that from a 49'er fan page after both of last years games? :coffee:
and yet the defense still didn’t inspire me with much confidence going forward.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
and yet the defense still didn’t inspire me with much confidence going forward.

Agreed. I usually text with a couple of friends during the game. One guy was like "See Brat, our defense is playing much better, you can stop your *****ing!" My other friend piped in "Yeah, against the San Fran JV Team". :roflmao:

I didn't think the defense did anything spectacular tonight, I think the SF backups were there own worst enemies and because of that, I think our defense is the same one that will get blown out by a good offense or at least an offense that is playing well that day.

Last edited:

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not gonna lie
I have been tunnel-visioned on election coverage and forgot we had a game
Go Pack!
But also a dud that did not require game watching... the league office for not rescheduling or something. Will have to wait and see over the next week or two, but keeping this game scheduled seemed like a recipe for sh*t stew.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Studs-
Oline- to be that beat up and perform that well was very impressive
Tae- Do we even need to keep putting him here? He’s in a league of his own.
Rodgers
Swervin Ervin- Made the plays he needed too
Smith Bros
Savage
Montravious Adams- Made the best of the opportunities he was given (too few IMO)
Tyler Lancaster (that 40 yard shuttle off the field on the 4th down play that could have been 12 man was epic)

Duds- Hard to win a game like that and pick duds, but I will go with those that were too quiet for their skillsets
Kenny Clark
Adrian Amos

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams gets a stud nod for sure. Some great catches last night and everyone knows he's getting them.

Thought the Oline did pretty well getting shuffled around. I know san fran doesn't have all their defense out there, but that side of the ball has been doing pretty well anyway prior to this game.

I don't think Rodgers did anything spectacular, but the numbers sure looked good. I take it back, he had a couple to D. Adams that were strikes and finding MVS for that 2nd TD was pretty nice.

Was nice to see Jones back, he just adds a bit more when he's running. always looks out of control, yet in control. I love it. No big breakaways, but nice to see. Ervin was sacrificing his body getting bounced around by the big boys inside. Decent enough in a pinch, but not the role he's made for.

On defense, did M. Adams play last week? i didn't notice him at all, but this week and the prior 2, so the last 3 out of 4 games he's stood out a bit to me. He's not dominating the game, but he's showing up. Seems to have a little more juice in his step. Hitting people and getting penetration. It's good to see.

I know Preston made a play that caused that INT, but for crying out loud he set the lousiest edge multiple times before that and was playing like he was sleeping half the time it looked like. Hard to give him a stud when prior to that play I'm wondering why he's still out there and how much cap space we're going to get or waste by cutting him in the offseason 2 seconds prior. His effort on every play needs to improve.

Z. Smith was providing some pressure.

Other than that, hard to say anything about defense. We beat a team decimated by injuries. We had our share, but it's just a game we should have won. Hard to take much else away other than we won. They were giving up huge plays, but then I had no idea who we had on the field. Felt like the 4th quarter of preseason game #2. We won, but what does it mean?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well in this... Thursday mop em up special.... Only really felt there was one dud. Josh Jackson

We got away with his stupid undisciplined penalty committing last night because the 49ers simply didn't have the horses in the stable to keep up with us. Against better teams we won't.

For everyone else... Well playing a bad/injured team makes it hard to say.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well in this... Thursday mop em up special.... Only really felt there was one dud. Josh Jackson

We got away with his stupid undisciplined penalty committing last night because the 49ers simply didn't have the horses in the stable to keep up with us. Against better teams we won't.

For everyone else... Well playing a bad/injured team makes it hard to say.
I could care less about that penalty
They hamstring defenses enough, now they can't stop forward momentum. have to tackle them forward rather than try and defend that line according to the NFL. His tackle was nothing. I"m telling you, we used to do that to each other daily from the time we were 7 at least thru college. Living room floors, hayfields, wrestling mats, football fields. It's a nothing. Don't want to see it, blow the whistle immediately and stop the action. Otherwise let the defenders defend.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rashan looked good. Tyler Ervin caught the ball really well. I thought the D played with a lot more intensity. They need to play with that intensity after they have been knocked around a bit by better O lines though. Savage played better. He needs to step it up every game.
I am going to give a dud to LaFleur for not seeing that Fred Warner started following Aaron Jones and adjusting his play calling away from him. And another dud to Pettine for 3 man rushes (we will get killed when he does that against a better QB, especially Wilson) and sometimes putting Preston way back into coverage.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

It absolutely felt like a scrimmage.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jeesh, as I mentioned, I missed the game... but looking at the box score, who the heck is Richie James and how did he have a better game than Davante???

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
These sorts of games suck, because the absolute best you can feel as a fan coming out of it is "we did what we were supposed to do."

To the Packers' credit, they did it. And the offense was facing starters on the other side for the most part. The 49ers were without Bosa and Witherspoon, but that's been true for most of the season. But they were also allowing an average of 27 ppg at home coming into this matchup, so it isn't as though they've been particularly strong otherwise.

I think we saw once again tonight that the only realistic way to save Mike Pettine's defense from a running attack like Shanahan's is for the offense to build a lead. Because in the early going, they were getting caved in badly on the edges, and SF was running the ball pretty well. But once they were down big they had to go away from it.

They also had some dreadful breakdowns in zone coverage. I put that partially on Pettine and partially on the talent black hole that exists on the second level of our defense. GB has some players along the front, and they have some guys in the back end, but their second level is just wretched.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Jeesh, as I mentioned, I missed the game... but looking at the box score, who the heck is Richie James and how did he have a better game than Davante???

Blown assignments in zone coverage-- catching the ball with no one within anywhere from 8-15 yards in any direction.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we really feel good about this win? Even Rodgers said it was a charity game at press conference. However a win is a win.. buttttt until they beat a good team in convincing fashion we are setting ourselves up for disappointment in the playoffs... if we don’t get a bye we would be playing the buccaneers/saints, rams or cardinals maybe the bears “unlikely” they suck. in the first round. Ughh long way to get there and the playoffs will be the real test.. AND if we some how even sniffed the super bowl played the chiefs.. with mahomes he will absolutely blow us out worse than 49ers bucs anyone did it would be embarrassing lol we don’t wanna play the chiefs/Steelers in the Super Bowl

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Can we really feel good about this win? Even Rodgers said it was a charity game at press conference. However a win is a win.. buttttt until they beat a good team in convincing fashion we are setting ourselves up for disappointment in the playoffs... if we don’t get a bye we would be playing the buccaneers/saints, rams or cardinals maybe the bears “unlikely” they suck. in the first round. Ughh long way to get there and the playoffs will be the real test.. AND if we some how even sniffed the super bowl played the chiefs.. with mahomes he will absolutely blow us out worse than 49ers bucs anyone did it would be embarrassing lol we don’t wanna play the chiefs/Steelers in the Super Bowl

The Saints are 7th overall in DVOA and they beat them by a touchdown on the road.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

That stat right there is an indication of just how much Alexander and King mean to the Packers, as well as an indication of just how easy it is to carve up the defense it would seem. Yes, some of that got padded at garbage time, but I don't think the defense was told to stop covering him?

James had a career night last night playing on a JV offense, with a pretty terrible QB.

9 catches
184 yards
20.4 ave./catch
1 TD

Prior to last nights game, his career Stats:

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That stat right there is an indication of just how much Alexander and King mean to the Packers, as well as an indication of just how easy it is to carve up the defense it would seem. Yes, some of that got padded at garbage time, but I don't think the defense was told to stop covering him?

James had a career night last night playing on a JV offense, with a pretty terrible QB.

9 catches
184 yards
20.4 ave./catch
1 TD

They are pathetic lol

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your viewpoint, the Packers still have a few regular season games left that will give us a clearer picture of who they are. I think both of the Bears games will be good indicators. The Colts and Titans games as well. All 3 of those teams currently have 5 wins. The other 4 games, Jags, Lions, Eagles, Panthers are against weaker teams that the Packers "should beat", but we should have beaten the Vikings last week.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

9 catches
184 yards
20.4 ave./catch
1 TD

I’m not sure they would’ve made a huge difference. James got the vast majority of his yards by just getting behind the LB’s after PA.

Rinse and repeat with what we’ve seen this year.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The saints are playing better now plus they will have Thomas back

On the season, they are 7th, and they haven't had Thomas back yet.

Here's the thing-- I am fully on board with criticizing the Packers' weaknesses and questioning what they can or can't do against stiff competition. Because under LaFleur, they've had some real stinkers against good teams.

But they've also had victories that can't be termed anything other than impressive, if we're being fair.

If people come up with excuses to write off all of their quality wins, they're not being objective; they're just looking for a reason to skew negative. And that makes one about as unreliable as a sold out homer.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

9 catches
184 yards
20.4 ave./catch
1 TD

James was not beating single coverage. He was finding blown assignments in zone.

Members online

Latest posts