7-Step Plan Back To Super Bowl in 2019

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
For what this is worth, here is the production of the primary running back in KC over Bieniemy's years there:
  • 2013, Jamaal Charles: 259 carries, 1287 rushing yards, 5.0 YPC, 12 rushing TD, 70 catches, 693 yards, 9.9 YPR, 7 receiving touchdowns
  • 2014, Jamaal Charles: 206 carries, 1033 yds, 5.0 YPC, 9 TD, 40 catches, 291 yds, 7.3 YPR, 5 TD
  • 2015:
    • Charcandrick West: 160 carries, 634 yards, 4.0 YPC, 4 TD, 20 catches, 214 yards, 10.7 YPR, 1 TD
    • Spencer Ware: 72 carries, 403 yards, 5.6 YPC, 6 TD, 6 catches, 5 yards, .8 YPR
    • Jamaal Charles: 71 carries, 364 yards, 5.1 YPC, 4 TD, 21 cathces, 177 yards, 8.4 YPR, 1 TD
  • 2016, Spencer Ware: 214 carries, 921 yards, 4.3 YPC, 3 TD, 33 catches, 447 yards, 13.5 YPR, 2 TD
  • 2017, Kareem Hunt: 272 carries, 1327 yards, 4.9 YPC, 8 TD, 53 catches, 455 yards, 8.6 YPR, 3 TD
Some observations:

Jamaal Charles was amazing before Bieniemy ever got there, but he immediately had his most prolific season as a receiver (by a long shot) under his coaching in 2013.

2015 was probably his most impressive season as a coach-- the Chiefs lost their star offensive player, and Bieniemy's unheralded pupils in Char West and Spenser Ware totally replaced the production (Ware as a runner and West as a receiver).

We all know Kareem Hunt is talented, but it's still an impressive coaching job that he came in as a rookie 3rd rounder from Toledo and led the NFL in rushing, was 3rd in YPC (min. 100 carries), and was 3rd in yards from scrimmage. As the whole league witnessed in the transition from Jeff Fisher to Sean McVay and the effect that had on Todd Gurley, coaching still has a huge impact on player success even if they're really talented. He was also Adrian Peterson's RB coach from 2007 to 2010.

It also doesn't hurt to mention that the KC offense has jumped about 12 points/game up from what they were averaging in the years prior to him being the OC. I want to make perfectly clear that I understand that the majority of the credit there belongs to the combination of Mahomes and Reid. However, Bieniemy obviously isn't holding things back, to understate it.

OP
OP
P

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For what this is worth, here is the production of the primary running back in KC over Bieniemy's years there:
  • 2013, Jamaal Charles: 259 carries, 1287 rushing yards, 5.0 YPC, 12 rushing TD, 70 catches, 693 yards, 9.9 YPR, 7 receiving touchdowns
  • 2014, Jamaal Charles: 206 carries, 1033 yds, 5.0 YPC, 9 TD, 40 catches, 291 yds, 7.3 YPR, 5 TD
  • 2015:
    • Charcandrick West: 160 carries, 634 yards, 4.0 YPC, 4 TD, 20 catches, 214 yards, 10.7 YPR, 1 TD
    • Spencer Ware: 72 carries, 403 yards, 5.6 YPC, 6 TD, 6 catches, 5 yards, .8 YPR
    • Jamaal Charles: 71 carries, 364 yards, 5.1 YPC, 4 TD, 21 cathces, 177 yards, 8.4 YPR, 1 TD
  • 2016, Spencer Ware: 214 carries, 921 yards, 4.3 YPC, 3 TD, 33 catches, 447 yards, 13.5 YPR, 2 TD
  • 2017, Kareem Hunt: 272 carries, 1327 yards, 4.9 YPC, 8 TD, 53 catches, 455 yards, 8.6 YPR, 3 TD
Some observations:

Jamaal Charles was amazing before Bieniemy ever got there, but he immediately had his most prolific season as a receiver (by a long shot) under his coaching in 2013.

2015 was probably his most impressive season as a coach-- the Chiefs lost their star offensive player, and Bieniemy's unheralded pupils in Char West and Spenser Ware totally replaced the production (Ware as a runner and West as a receiver).

We all know Kareem Hunt is talented, but it's still an impressive coaching job that he came in as a rookie 3rd rounder from Toledo and led the NFL in rushing, was 3rd in YPC (min. 100 carries), and was 3rd in yards from scrimmage. As the whole league witnessed in the transition from Jeff Fisher to Sean McVay and the effect that had on Todd Gurley, coaching still has a huge impact on player success even if they're really talented. He was also Adrian Peterson's RB coach from 2007 to 2010.

It also doesn't hurt to mention that the KC offense has jumped about 12 points/game up from what they were averaging in the years prior to him being the OC. I want to make perfectly clear that I understand that the majority of the credit there belongs to the combination of Mahomes and Reid. However, Bieniemy obviously isn't holding things back, to understate it.

EB gets the offense recharged by doing a Jared Goff-esque makeover of Aaron Jones-thus implementing an obvious way to make #12's job easier in-game?

Hmmm....

OP
OP
P

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM has been fired-and we prolly mathematically were all but eliminated from the playoffs by losing to the Cardinals.

So now what?

Here's what I would do to get the Pack back on track:

*****EDIT*****

1. Hire Eric Bieniemy (Mike Tomlin/John Harbaugh???) As HC

When it comes to on-the-field, the main problem has been the ineffectiveness/inconsistencies of the offense. Specifically the lack of production by Aaron Rodgers that wins us games instead of just making games exciting for casual NFL fans. MM oversaw a winning culture in GB during his tenure overall, but it was painfully obvious that his play-calling/offensive philosophies grew stale. Bieniemy is running in my eyes the best offense in pro football out there in KC. Andy Reid has publicly made it known that Bieniemy is a key component to what the Chiefs are doing in terms of installing offensive game plans, and when you think about Eric's experience as a player plus the fact that KC is so good at getting "wiggle" players in space a light in the FO coming on to direct EB to GB should be happening.

Bieniemy would come in and quickly grab Aaron's attention, and his respect soon after. The only way Rodgers is going to get the additional SB rings we all as fans are looking for is if he's playing under a newer, fresher offensive system that he willingly will buy into, recognize where he has to "reign himself in" on trying to play off-schedule, and trust that it will make his life easier. Bieniemy can do that.

A possible scenario to ponder on: With KK taking the USC OC gig, and considering whichever AFC North team maybe not making the playoffs between Steelers/Ravens might make a bold move on Black Monday-we snag the experienced guy who is out in the shuffle on a crapshoot. We still keep Pettine/majority of defensive staff-said HC works with Gute/new ST coach to balance out execution emphasis within squad/improve roster depth. A way to do a quick reboot and still work towards future, perhaps???

2. Hire Kliff Kingsbury (Eric Bieniemy???) As OC/ (Joe Philbin???) As QB Coach

I think bringing in Kingsbury would just add so much to the revamping. There would be two younger, fresher minds that can bounce ideas off of themselves when it comes to exploiting opponents' defenses, and also keep Aaron engaged. I think Kliff in the role of the new "Alex Van Pelt" could be a great pairing. Kingsbury's roots are essentially tied into the Air Raid offense. The Packers' offense under MM has definitely had some Air Raid elements-I've noticed it for years. Kliff plays translator for Aaron in order to find some things he is used to in the new stuff they would be doing. So u can keep some old things MM did that Aaron liked, and you get new spins on old things/stuff Aaron hasn't done before. Get these 3 guys in a coaches' room with a white board and let's create some magic.

We bring in EB and let him call plays and Joe is AR's whisperer/handler in the QB room; all three are involved in weekly game-plan install. Some new mixed in with some old could help jump-start things faster, more efficiently perhaps?

3. Keep Mike Pettine As DC/Don't Change Defensive Staff

The other good thing about hiring EB is that we can just keep Mike Pettine at DC-and actually have some form of continuity as an overall team going into next season. I actually am somewhat impressed with the defense considering all of the circumstances surrounding the unit/what has transpired this year, and believe that if we give him some additional reinforcements in the off-season he can have them playing even better.

4. Sign Earl Thomas + Roger Saffold In FA PT. 1

We need a true ball-hawking free safety. It will help MP's defense be its best if we get that guy. Earl Thomas' leg injury was a fluke in my eyes and he is worth the money. I still think he is the best pass-defending safety in pro football. And what he brings to the table is exactly what we need. I also believe bringing in Saffold is a must. The guard play this season has not been good. Taylor regressed and RG has been covered with a band-aid for like 2 seasons now. I think we can afford to either restructure/cut Bulaga by bringing in Saffold to be the RG, thus giving a high round rookie draft pick in '19/Spriggs/McCray/the rest of our OL not named David, Lane, or Corey the chance to be the starting RT.

5. Resign Randall Cobb + Sign Kareem Hunt In FA PT. 2

RC has been hurt most of the year and his production has declined, but he still has value not only currently as a slot WR that can beat man coverage/has rapport on-the-field with #12, but in a new offense he could be utilized as a "wiggle" guy with great route-running abilities in order to threaten defenses horizontally. I think a 1-yr let's see you with a new offensive regime deal makes sense for both parties. Picking up Kareem Hunt as soon as possible after Bieniemy is hired officially would be a shrewd move that could pay big dividends down the road. He'd have some familiarity football-wise to rely on, and I think GB's insular, almost college-esque media market could be just what the doctor ordered for him to continue an impressive pro career that is being temporarily derailed by an off-the-field mistake. A 1-2 punch of him and Aaron Jones? Yes-it would be worth it to make the move, because now our offense is scary af again. Plus it won't cost much cap space to get Hunt.

FYI I'd also go after vets like Lorenzo Alexander at the OLB (EDGE) spot to shore up depth. Fackrell has piled up some sacks this year but that doesn't mean he is a stud, it just means he may have finally found his role as a pro defender under MP, as a situational player for passing downs. He can cover a little to go along with what he has done rushing the passer, but against the run he is atrocious and is no where near starter-caliber as an overall player. He just doesn't totally suck anymore. We need more depth at alot of positions, and this off-season we have to continue to look to improve the depth via FA.

6. Draft Josh Allen & Marquise Brown In The 1st Round of 2019 NFL Draft

We need better players at the EDGE position. Josh Allen is one of the most athletic and productive at the position, and I think he'll be on the board where we will end up picking. Though I wish we didn't have to considering we took 3 WRs last yr, the need for a dynamic offensive playmaker to compliment what Davante does is apparent to me now so picking one early is a must. Even if Cobb comes back, we need a young "wiggle" guy. That's what's missing in our offense-the dynamic explosiveness that guys like Hill in KC or AB in Pitt provide. We need to be able to tell Aaron on occasion to throw the ball 2 yards away and expect it to be able to go for 30-40. I think we draft Marquise Brown with the Saints' pick and we are right there as one of the best offenses in the NFL again, because now Aaron will be able to do all the cute stuff that keeps Tom Brady looking like a top QB (the short, quick game) as well as design the deep shots that showcases Aaron's arm (the fun stuff he likes) without it being improvised via #12.

7. Continue 2 Reboot Roster/Cut Dead Weight

Bulaga should be cut. Perry should be cut. CMIII must not be resigned under any circumstances. I would only bring back RC if 1) He is okay with a 1 year contract and 2) Aaron Rodgers is adamant about him returning. GB has to utilize the cap they have by not wasting it on veteran players that have either not performed up to their current contract/are fringe guys that are barely able to stay in the league anyway. Meaning I also want the Kentrell Brice's of the world that are on our roster off ASAP as well. IDC if they're a scrappy UDFA from a small school that doesn't take up much cap space-if they can't play don't keep them around! Once they get their chance and they suck get rid of them, period.

If Mark Murphy/Gute follow this 7-step plan, we would obliterate the league in 2019 and AR12 would have his 2nd SB ring with ease.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
EB gets the offense recharged by doing a Jared Goff-esque makeover of Aaron Jones-thus implementing an obvious way to make #12's job easier in-game?

Hmmm....

One thing that the top NFL offenses have in common right now (i.e. KC, LAR, NO, LAC, PIT, CHI, NE, IND, etc) is heavy and creative RB involvement in the offense.

I think that there could be some fallacious transferring going on in people's minds between the devaluation of the RB position and a perceived lack of importance. RB's aren't highly valuable because they're plentiful. But they are still incredibly important to the success of an offense.

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Hire Eric Bieniemy As HC
Not sold on Bieniemy. He’s the flavor of the month I guess but he’s only been OC for a year and doesn’t even call the plays.

2. Hire Kliff Kingsbury As OC/QB Coach
I don’t know enough about him as a coach to give an opinion. Seems like a good guy to bring in but it will be the choice of the new HC so we’ve really got no idea.

3. Keep Mike Pettine As DC/Don't Change Defensive Staff
This is a weird situation in that the new HC will probably be asked to keep Pettine on staff. I agree with most posters that Whitt should probably go away.

4. Sign Earl Thomas + Roger Saffold In FA PT. 1
No to Thomas and Saffold. Both are too old.

5. Resign Randall Cobb + Sign Kareem Hunt In FA PT. 2
Ive always liked Cobb and believe he still has some value. Hunt is simply not an option in GB.

6. Draft Josh Allen & Marquise Brown In The 1st Round of 2019 NFL Draft
I’m just going to leave your original text in here because I would be fine with these picks as I haven’t read up in the draft yet or watched any tape.

We need better players at the EDGE position. Josh Allen is one of the most athletic and productive at the position, and I think he'll be on the board where we will end up picking. Though I wish we didn't have to considering we took 3 WRs last yr, the need for a dynamic offensive playmaker to compliment what Davante does is apparent to me now so picking one early is a must. Even if Cobb comes back, we need a young "wiggle" guy. That's what's missing in our offense-the dynamic explosiveness that guys like Hill in KC or AB in Pitt provide. We need to be able to tell Aaron on occasion to throw the ball 2 yards away and expect it to be able to go for 30-40. I think we draft Marquise Brown with the Saints' pick and we are right there as one of the best offenses in the NFL again, because now Aaron will be able to do all the cute stuff that keeps Tom Brady looking like a top QB (the short, quick game) as well as design the deep shots that showcases Aaron's arm (the fun stuff he likes) without it being improvised via #12.

7. Continue 2 Reboot Roster/Cut Dead Weight
You’re statement says nothing really but also isn’t wrong.....

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that the top NFL offenses have in common right now (i.e. KC, LAR, NO, LAC, PIT, CHI, NE, IND, etc) is heavy and creative RB involvement in the offense.

I think that there could be some fallacious transferring going on in people's minds between the devaluation of the RB position and a perceived lack of importance. RB's aren't highly valuable because they're plentiful. But they are still incredibly important to the success of an offense.
Completely agree. However I do not know whether Aaron Jones is going to be as effective, and durable as a true RB1 next year. I'd therefore like to see them draft another RB, more of a bruiser, to complement him as I am also not convinced Jamaal Williams is anything more than a solid back up.

Adding an Edge rusher in the first round and a OL, WR, and RB with the following picks in the first 3 rounds, I'd be much more confident going into next season. Resign Wilkerson and Breeland to cap friendly deals for depth, while also adding another veteran edge rusher to provide depth behind Perry and drafted Rookie. With hoping that the safety market is as plentiful in options as is cheap as last offseason, I'd suggest adding a safety in free agency and nabbing one with our fourth rounder. Im not sold on Earl Thomas because he will probably demand a lot and his injury history (poor man, nothing but respect for him)...

I'll leave the coaching vacancies op to you guys, but im keeping Pettine.

Members online