7-Step Plan Back To Super Bowl in 2019

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM has been fired-and we prolly mathematically were all but eliminated from the playoffs by losing to the Cardinals.

So now what?

Here's what I would do to get the Pack back on track:

1. Hire Eric Bieniemy As HC

When it comes to on-the-field, the main problem has been the ineffectiveness/inconsistencies of the offense. Specifically the lack of production by Aaron Rodgers that wins us games instead of just making games exciting for casual NFL fans. MM oversaw a winning culture in GB during his tenure overall, but it was painfully obvious that his play-calling/offensive philosophies grew stale. Bieniemy is running in my eyes the best offense in pro football out there in KC. Andy Reid has publicly made it known that Bieniemy is a key component to what the Chiefs are doing in terms of installing offensive game plans, and when you think about Eric's experience as a player plus the fact that KC is so good at getting "wiggle" players in space a light in the FO coming on to direct EB to GB should be happening.

Bieniemy would come in and quickly grab Aaron's attention, and his respect soon after. The only way Rodgers is going to get the additional SB rings we all as fans are looking for is if he's playing under a newer, fresher offensive system that he willingly will buy into, recognize where he has to "reign himself in" on trying to play off-schedule, and trust that it will make his life easier. Bieniemy can do that.

2. Hire Kliff Kingsbury As OC/QB Coach

I think bringing in Kingsbury would just add so much to the revamping. There would be two younger, fresher minds that can bounce ideas off of themselves when it comes to exploiting opponents' defenses, and also keep Aaron engaged. I think Kliff in the role of the new "Alex Van Pelt" could be a great pairing. Kingsbury's roots are essentially tied into the Air Raid offense. The Packers' offense under MM has definitely had some Air Raid elements-I've noticed it for years. Kliff plays translator for Aaron in order to find some things he is used to in the new stuff they would be doing. So u can keep some old things MM did that Aaron liked, and you get new spins on old things/stuff Aaron hasn't done before. Get these 3 guys in a coaches' room with a white board and let's create some magic.

3. Keep Mike Pettine As DC/Don't Change Defensive Staff

The other good thing about hiring EB is that we can just keep Mike Pettine at DC-and actually have some form of continuity as an overall team going into next season. I actually am somewhat impressed with the defense considering all of the circumstances surrounding the unit/what has transpired this year, and believe that if we give him some additional reinforcements in the off-season he can have them playing even better.

4. Sign Earl Thomas + Roger Saffold In FA PT. 1

We need a true ball-hawking free safety. It will help MP's defense be its best if we get that guy. Earl Thomas' leg injury was a fluke in my eyes and he is worth the money. I still think he is the best pass-defending safety in pro football. And what he brings to the table is exactly what we need. I also believe bringing in Saffold is a must. The guard play this season has not been good. Taylor regressed and RG has been covered with a band-aid for like 2 seasons now. I think we can afford to either restructure/cut Bulaga by bringing in Saffold to be the RG, thus giving a high round rookie draft pick in '19/Spriggs/McCray/the rest of our OL not named David, Lane, or Corey the chance to be the starting RT.

5. Resign Randall Cobb + Sign Kareem Hunt In FA PT. 2

RC has been hurt most of the year and his production has declined, but he still has value not only currently as a slot WR that can beat man coverage/has rapport on-the-field with #12, but in a new offense he could be utilized as a "wiggle" guy with great route-running abilities in order to threaten defenses horizontally. I think a 1-yr let's see you with a new offensive regime deal makes sense for both parties. Picking up Kareem Hunt as soon as possible after Bieniemy is hired officially would be a shrewd move that could pay big dividends down the road. He'd have some familiarity football-wise to rely on, and I think GB's insular, almost college-esque media market could be just what the doctor ordered for him to continue an impressive pro career that is being temporarily derailed by an off-the-field mistake. A 1-2 punch of him and Aaron Jones? Yes-it would be worth it to make the move, because now our offense is scary af again. Plus it won't cost much cap space to get Hunt.

FYI I'd also go after vets like Lorenzo Alexander at the OLB (EDGE) spot to shore up depth. Fackrell has piled up some sacks this year but that doesn't mean he is a stud, it just means he may have finally found his role as a pro defender under MP, as a situational player for passing downs. He can cover a little to go along with what he has done rushing the passer, but against the run he is atrocious and is no where near starter-caliber as an overall player. He just doesn't totally suck anymore. We need more depth at alot of positions, and this off-season we have to continue to look to improve the depth via FA.

6. Draft Josh Allen & Marquise Brown In The 1st Round of 2019 NFL Draft

We need better players at the EDGE position. Josh Allen is one of the most athletic and productive at the position, and I think he'll be on the board where we will end up picking. Though I wish we didn't have to considering we took 3 WRs last yr, the need for a dynamic offensive playmaker to compliment what Davante does is apparent to me now so picking one early is a must. Even if Cobb comes back, we need a young "wiggle" guy. That's what's missing in our offense-the dynamic explosiveness that guys like Hill in KC or AB in Pitt provide. We need to be able to tell Aaron on occasion to throw the ball 2 yards away and expect it to be able to go for 30-40. I think we draft Marquise Brown with the Saints' pick and we are right there as one of the best offenses in the NFL again, because now Aaron will be able to do all the cute stuff that keeps Tom Brady looking like a top QB (the short, quick game) as well as design the deep shots that showcases Aaron's arm (the fun stuff he likes) without it being improvised via #12.

7. Continue 2 Reboot Roster/Cut Dead Weight

Bulaga should be cut. Perry should be cut. CMIII must not be resigned under any circumstances. I would only bring back RC if 1) He is okay with a 1 year contract and 2) Aaron Rodgers is adamant about him returning. GB has to utilize the cap they have by not wasting it on veteran players that have either not performed up to their current contract/are fringe guys that are barely able to stay in the league anyway. Meaning I also want the Kentrell Brice's of the world that are on our roster off ASAP as well. IDC if they're a scrappy UDFA from a small school that doesn't take up much cap space-if they can't play don't keep them around! Once they get their chance and they suck get rid of them, period.

If Mark Murphy/Gute follow this 7-step plan, we would obliterate the league in 2019 and AR12 would have his 2nd SB ring with ease.

Last edited:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got your 7 Step Plan right here simplified.
1. Win
2. Win
3. Win
4. Win
5. Win
6. Win
7.Win

OP
OP
P

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Win
2. Win
3. Win
4. Win
5. Win
6. Win
7.Win

I think with the season GB is having that statement is obvious-plus I'm down for a good chuckle. Do you have any thoughts on the thread to add besides the win mantra though?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think with the season GB is having that statement is obvious-plus I'm down for a good chuckle. Do you have any thoughts on the thread to add besides the win mantra though?
Not really.
I don't follow football as much as you do.
Just a casual Sunday watcher.
I mean, if we both applied for the GB HC job, I would be lucky to get at least a 2 minute interview where it looks like you could get at least 5.
They ask me, "What is your game plan?"
"Discount double check."
"Thank you for coming in. We'll be in touch."
I'd wait for you outside where we would hit the nearest place for a beer.

OP
OP
P

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really.
I don't follow football as much as you do.
Just a casual Sunday watcher.
I mean, if we both applied for the GB HC job, I would be lucky to get at least a 2 minute interview where it looks like you could get at least 5.
They ask me, "What is your game plan?"
"Discount double check."
"Thank you for coming in. We'll be in touch."
I'd wait for you outside where we would hit the nearest place for a beer.

LoL-fair enough, mate...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that if we'd like to run anything like the Chiefs, we'd need a change in personnel in which to do it. Cobb could be that guy, but after a couple seasons in which he seems injured more than he's on the field, not sure I want to invest in that. He's young enough someone is going to give him some money. Not cap changing money, but more than I'd want to spend.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I do like some of what you had suggested. Though, I have to bring up that there is a good chance Kareem Hunt will be suspended from the league for at least a year. I do not see any benefit to signing him this offseason (and especially not today). I also do not see much benefit in resigning Randall Cobb. There is also no benefit to cutting Nick Perry this offseason. He would count as an 11 million cap hit. The following season would be the time this could occur.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Picking up Kareem Hunt as soon as possible after Bieniemy is hired officially would be a shrewd move that could pay big dividends down the road. He'd have some familiarity football-wise to rely on, and I think GB's insular, almost college-esque media market could be just what the doctor ordered for him to continue an impressive pro career that is being temporarily derailed by an off-the-field mistake. A 1-2 punch of him and Aaron Jones? Yes-it would be worth it to make the move, because now our offense is scary af again. Plus it won't cost much cap space to get Hunt.

If Mark Murphy/Gute follow this 7-step plan, we would obliterate the league in 2019 and AR12 would have his 2nd SB ring with ease.

I want absolutely nothing at all to do with Kareem Hunt. Rather sit in the basement of the north, then sell my soul for some wins.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I have to say-- I'm surprised by how many of these I agree with. Bieniemy is an interesting candidate to be sure.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM has been fired-and we prolly mathematically were all but eliminated from the playoffs by losing to the Cardinals.

So now what?

Here's what I would do to get the Pack back on track:

3. Keep Mike Pettine As DC/Don't Change Defensive Staff

The other good thing about hiring EB is that we can just keep Mike Pettine at DC-and actually have some form of continuity as an overall team going into next season. I actually am somewhat impressed with the defense considering all of the circumstances surrounding the unit/what has transpired this year, and believe that if we give him some additional reinforcements in the off-season he can have them playing even better.

RC has been hurt most of the year and his production has declined, but he still has value not only currently as a slot WR that can beat man coverage/has rapport on-the-field with #12, but in a new offense he could be utilized as a "wiggle" guy with great route-running abilities in order to threaten defenses horizontally. I think a 1-yr let's see you with a new offensive regime deal makes sense for both parties. Picking up Kareem Hunt as soon as possible after Bieniemy is hired officially would be a shrewd move that could pay big dividends down the road. He'd have some familiarity football-wise to rely on, and I think GB's insular, almost college-esque media market could be just what the doctor ordered for him to continue an impressive pro career that is being temporarily derailed by an off-the-field mistake. A 1-2 punch of him and Aaron Jones? Yes-it would be worth it to make the move, because now our offense is scary af again. Plus it won't cost much cap space to get Hunt.

7. Continue 2 Reboot Roster/Cut Dead Weight

Bulaga should be cut.

I only kept what I disagree with. I think Pettine should stay but some of the defensive staff could easily go - like Whitt. Number 5 is my biggest issue. I dont want any part of either of those. Cobb isnt that good and always hurt. I dont want Hunt anywhere near this team. I think cutting Bulaga is a dangerous proposition. I know he gets hurt a lot but unlike cobb when Bulaga is healthy he is a solid player

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
step one is keep cutting, especially high salaries. Start with Crosby, Bulaga, Tramon Williams and Matthews. A lot of money there to sign FA's. Need a top CB, not Mr Glass King, a pass rusher and a true #2 receiver.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We probly ain’t gonna sniff the playoffs next year either..

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga left the game with another knee injury. He's joined my list of guys who should be gone next year. The accumulation of injuries has pretty much robbed him of any quicks and athletic ability he had.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do like some of what you had suggested. Though, I have to bring up that there is a good chance Kareem Hunt will be suspended from the league for at least a year. I do not see any benefit to signing him this offseason (and especially not today). I also do not see much benefit in resigning Randall Cobb. There is also no benefit to cutting Nick Perry this offseason. He would count as an 11 million cap hit. The following season would be the time this could occur.

He's been just a guy for years now.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

Was going to post this specifically to show how much is tied up in high-paid, low-production players. Was even more discouraged in just reading from the top down. Obviously will be subjective differences, but in (for instance) the top 11, there's Aaron (noted just because of the obscene number), Cobb, Matthews, Bulaga, Graham, Crosby, Linsley (?), Lane Taylor, and Tramon. Not as much an indictment of TT or whoever (some of those didn't seem all that bad at the time), just a "wow, this team has a long way to go" comment.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was going to post this specifically to show how much is tied up in high-paid, low-production players. Was even more discouraged in just reading from the top down.

The top 10 list right now is horrible. After this year, you lose Matthews, Cobb. Some other highly paid players that should be gone are Perry, Bulaga, Crosby, Spriggs and probably Williams. That means your top 10 is probably Rodgers, Bakh, Daniels, Adams, Linsley, Taylor, Alexander, Graham and 2 1st next year. If they get rid of those above players, they should be at 60M+ cap available. You can turn around a roster pretty quickly with a solid draft and 60M....

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not so sure about Perry... you are correct about the Cap hit... cutting him would actually save somewhere around 3 million.... At this point I actually think we might be able to replace his limited contribution for that.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not so sure about Perry... you are correct about the Cap hit... cutting him would actually save somewhere around 3 million.... At this point I actually think we might be able to replace his limited contribution for that.

3M savings if they just ripped the band-aid off and took all the dead cap in 2019. A post June 1st release would save more.

2019: $3.7 million dead cap, $10.7 million cap savings
2020: $7.4 million dead cap, $6.9 million cap savings

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3M savings if they just ripped the band-aid off and took all the dead cap in 2019. A post June 1st release would save more.

2019: $3.7 million dead cap, $10.7 million cap savings
2020: $7.4 million dead cap, $6.9 million cap savings
others have posted the exact numbers in the past... my point is ... I’m leaning towards letting him go because regardless of the numbers... his contribution has been almost nothing ... he can be replaced.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As others have said, big fat no on hunt. As far as Cobb goes, I am not 100% on him being gone but definitely leaning towards it

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
1. Win
2. Win
3. Win
4. Win
5. Win
6. Win
7.Win

You are going to need to add about 5-7 more wins to that to win a SB ;)

As far as coaches, I am ready to see them all gone but Pettine. Not sure how people can say any of the assistants on Defense, with maybe the exception of Jerry Montgomery (DL) have done their job in coaching guys up. If you have to fire Pettine to get the bulk of the defensive staff out, than so be it.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fans want a simple answer to a very complex problem.

Not sure how many times on here I have heard about our "inept offensive line".
  • Fact Aaron has the 4th longest time to throw per attempt in the NFL at 2.94 (https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw) . The long standing theory that he is running for his life all the time is non-sense. It just seems that way because we watch Rodgers consistently hold the ball too long and not throw on time. Only 3 other quarterbacks in the league hold the ball longer. For comparison Brees 2.58, Brady 2.59, Big Ben 2.54. That means with Rodgers 463 attempts, he has spent approximately 3 minutes of extra time in the pocket. Or in different terms, Big Ben would have thrown an extra 73 passes in the time that Rodgers has been in the pocket. That is nearly 2 games of passes extra.
  • The Packers are also 3rd in yards per attempt rushing. That is ahead of SUPER TEAMS like the Rams, Chiefs, Chargers, Dallas... ETC
  • The offensive line is actually a strength of this team not a weakness. They aren't perfect but no team is.
The defense is in need of pass rush! (Though I will agree with Clay and Nick under-performing, we are also having others over-perform)
  • The Packers are 1st in sacks per drop-back.
  • What the defense is really in need of is some turnovers. They rank 26th in interceptions and 23rd in forced fumbles. So even with Rodgers throwing 1 interception all year and the Packers being tied for the 5th best in giveaways. We are even in turnover ratio for the season.
  • The Packers lack "play-makers" on defense. Someone who turns the tide of a game, aka Charles Woodson.
Rodgers is just fine - he has no talent around him.
  • Rodgers ranked 27th in off-target pass rank this season. While we don't know how much this has to do with routes, timing, him being fed up with the offense, and quitting on McCarthy. Still not what you expect from the top paid QB in the NFL
Here is one I'm sure everyone can agree on "Special" teams
  • Packers in 27th in FG percentage
  • 25th in Extra point percentage
  • 24th in kick-off yards per return
  • 18th in punt yards per return
These aren't the only areas of deficiency... But it is much more complex then finding an offensively minded coach.

Coaching changes need to start with the below.

Head Coach - Hire someone well respected and that Rodgers would have chemistry with and respect for. Everyone wants the Sooner coach, or OC from KC.... But what everyone seems to forget is these flashy offensive are working with QB's straight out of college... Chicago = Trubisky, KC = Mahommes Rams =Goff. Rodgers isn't those guys and is almost 15 years removed from the college game.

Joe Whitt Jr - Bye. Pretty self-explanatory

Zook - Bye Again not much to say here

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want absolutely nothing at all to do with Kareem Hunt. Rather sit in the basement of the north, then sell my soul for some wins.
Let's give the guy a break. What he did wasn't the best way to handle the situation, but people in the league have done far worse than what he did. What he did shouldn't be compared to what Ray Rice did. Rice was domestic violence, Hunt was assault, and in the interest of facts she did attack him first as well as call him the N word. I wish Hunt simply walked away, but at that age and with alcohol involved it was a recipe for disaster. I'm sure he'll learn from this mistake and change for the better.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure he'll learn from this mistake and change for the better.

Says ever single domestic violence offender of all time...

"Batterers are often considered individuals who terrorize, intimidate, control and abuse their partners. And, they typically do it again and again. In fact, 31 percent of those convicted on a misdemeanor domestic violence charge were arrested again within a year of being released, according to the Center for Court Innovation, and 44 percent were arrested again within two years."

https://www.domesticshelters.org/domestic-violence-articles-information/will-it-happen-again

So to say you are sure he will change, that is a pretty bold statement considering at best it is about a 50/50 chance of happening again within 2 years. And there are millions of people in this country that are 21 and spend nights drinking without pushing people and using physical intimidation of women to get their way.

I stick by my statement. Don't want any part of hime.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Letting Cobb go would be a mistake. We should look to re-sign him though at a discounted price. He still has a high ceiling. Though it there is a option for a good swap, I'd consider.

Bieniemy sure is interesting, but he comes across too similar to Philbin. As to Kingsbury, I'd rather get Van Pelt back. Wonder how much AR12's game suffered due to AVP's absence.

Members online

Latest posts