Studs and Duds: Packers vs. Vikings

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
A coach may only challenge twice per game. However, if both challenges are upheld, he receives a third challenge.

Mm lost the one challenge.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I thought Hundly did okay considering the makeshift O-line you guys had to put together. I also think he will do better next week against he Saints when he has time to practice with the first team.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
I don't think you should go down a challenge if you win a challenge, just like how you don't lose a timeout.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think you should go down a challenge if you win a challenge, just like how you don't lose a timeout.

The NFL should adopt the college system without challenges.

The automatic turnover challenges was a good step in the right direction though.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't figure out why people haven't figured this out yet? Breneman went on and on about why MM didn't challenge that when he didn't have a challenge left. He even said they had a third challenge available. Don't trust what the announcers are saying. And people think Buck is bad.
Brennamen is freaking terrible, he is even worse in baseball when announcing for the Reds. http://sportsmockery.com/2016/04/th...ncinnati-is-the-funniest-video-of-the-season/ His dad wasn't any better either. It's sad he and Buck are the main play by play guys at Fox. Gumble is like 2nd or 3rd on CBS and he's a huge upgrade from these clowns. David Diehl is god awful too.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: After Rodgers went down I didn't like the attitude on the Vikings side at all. They were pretty pleased with what they did to Rodgers. And Barr did follow through and drove Rodgers to the ground rather than just hitting him.

Oh, and the pitiful tackling by the Packers' secondary.

H

HardRightEdge

0 sacks, 4 QB hits. Rush 6? Screen. Rush 7? Uncovered outlet. Capers isn't fooling anybody. Not good.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense most consider a Dud ..... But was it really? They set us up both of our scores with turn overs.
WE had three interception. Our offense did not go on on any real sustained drives. Just 2 real TD drives we would have won. I don't think 14 points a lot expect from offense, even with back up quarterback.
There missed tackles our defense was on field a pretty long time. It was 14 - 10. I am not blaming the defense. They only allowed 3 FG in 2nd 1/2 half.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The biggest dud to me on that "catch" was the fact it was ruled complete in the first place.

How does the official behind the play looking directly at it call it a catch? It wasn't even close.

I get when little calls are missed. This game is fast, but that was terrible.
which is why i'm not a fan of replay in general anymore. Sure it gets some calls right, but in the big picture it continues to erode the officiating. Get me some guys with an eye for the game and the balls to make a call. But we'll continue to lean on and rely on replay more and more and pretty soon all the calls will be made with replay in mind, hoping that another official will get the call right.

It will make some calls correct, but when you only have 2 and there needed to be 3-4? expand it to 4. When you have 4 and you need 6? What happens 10 years from now when the officials on the field don't have the eye or the guts to make any call?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
studs...Clark played well and I think Dix started tackling better again.
duds...McCarthy's play calling on the last drive. You have to go for it. There was not enough time left. Maybe he was hoping for a long run after the catch but that is only wishful thinking. Even if we scored; there was not going to be enough time left.

D

Deleted member 6794

duds...McCarthy's play calling on the last drive. You have to go for it. There was not enough time left. Maybe he was hoping for a long run after the catch but that is only wishful thinking. Even if we scored; there was not going to be enough time left.

It seemed to me that McCarthy didn't believe the offense being able to turn the game around at any point during yesterday's game. I have a hard time blaming him for it though.

pfcmsh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brennamen is freaking terrible, he is even worse in baseball when announcing for the Reds. http://sportsmockery.com/2016/04/th...ncinnati-is-the-funniest-video-of-the-season/ His dad wasn't any better either. It's sad he and Buck are the main play by play guys at Fox. Gumble is like 2nd or 3rd on CBS and he's a huge upgrade from these clowns. David Diehl is god awful too.
If I never hear a game where Joe Buck is a commentator, I will be happy. His biases come through so loud and clear to me.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Studs:

Anthony Barr giving his team a chance to win that game and potentially the division
Kenny Clark
Blake Martinez

Duds:

Anthony Barr for ruining our season...
And the 19 other guys that forgot how to play football after AR went down.
And some of the worst officiating I have ever seen

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
For those giving Hundley a dud, lets please keep in mind that he was working with a makeshift line, questionable play calling from McCarthy who clearly showed an inability to adjust the play calling from Rodgers to Hundley, and also the environment in that stadium that made even Rodgers himself look pedestrian in week 2 of the 2016 season. AND Minnesota has a ferocious pass rush.

If we're gonna dud Hundley, lets at least wait until he has a full week of preparation under his belt. He'll be better at Lambeau against the Saints, and then he and the coaching staff will have two weeks to build even more trust and cohesiveness leading up to the Lions game.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
No challenge available to red flag it..

Duds is ref on that one
Yeah, that was my point. The ref missed what the non-ref saw in real time standing nearby on the Packer sideline.

And, yes, I did not realize MM had no challenges left. The announcer definitely convinced me otherwise.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
0 sacks, 4 QB hits. Rush 6? Screen. Rush 7? Uncovered outlet. Capers isn't fooling anybody. Not good.

Another thing that is not good is the terrible tackling.

Rollins, Randall, Hawkins and Clinton-Dix seem to often be the names I spy on the backs of the jerseys as their bodies fly, heads down, past the ball carrier in a microsecond-- usually completely whiffing and ending up on the ground and out of the play. Embarrassing, but apparently ok to the Packer brass as it doesn't seem to ever be corrected.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
-Jones looked a lot better than Montgomery to me. He's just so much more explosive. I think they need to use him heavily.

-I really like to say the name "Lenzy Pipkins" out loud. It's really satisfying.

-Hundley was running for his life for the time, but made some impressive throws now and then.

Reaction score
Duds: Vikings Defense in general
While some of these QB hits met the threshold of "legal", that does not make them appropriate.
I also believe they were 100% intentional hits to make the QB feel the brunt of their presence. I say that because the Defenders were looking straight at the QB for the entirety of the play, yet they never pulled up after the QB released the ball. The sad part is these plays (like the forearm hit Linval Joseph put on Hundley when he was clearly already in the grasp and had released the ball) show clear intent to harm and I believe the Vikings Defense have become the new "Lions" now. We are very lucky Hundley did not go off on a stretcher that last play. I do not say this lightly because I rarely call out a team or a segment of a team but this game was an exception and I would've said that had Aaron Rodgers returned to the game.

Croquet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: Aaron's collar bone

Studs: Martinez and Clark.

Semi stud Hundley. Played well for limited practice, an injured OL, and marginal play calling.

Semi dud: Hawkins. For not tackling a WR who caught the ball. Actually dramatically taking his hands off the WR to contest any possible pass interference calls. Tackle the guy, it doesn't matter if there is a penalty. He caught the damn ball!
Yeah I noticed that Hawkins hands off move too. I surely hope that gets called out in the DB room but I dont have a lot of faith in that. Crazy stuff.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I noticed that Hawkins hands off move too. I surely hope that gets called out in the DB room but I dont have a lot of faith in that. Crazy stuff.
Surprised I'm the only one who commented on it. I had some very loud and inappropriate comments as it was happening.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wore my comments out in it at the game. Could t believe he was protesting rather than tackling. Quit thinking you were wronged and go make a play regardless.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I really doubt that he realized that Treadwell caught the ball. It's a dumb play regardless, but I can't imagine that he knew the guy caught it and decided to protest instead of tackle. This isn't Randall we're talking about.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure he didn't realize, but that's the problem. If you're focused on your job, you won't be protesting. If your initial reaction is to protest you need a redirect of priorities

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm sure he didn't realize, but that's the problem. If you're focused on your job, you won't be protesting. If your initial reaction is to protest you need a redirect of priorities

I don't know... seems like corners protest about 50% of the time that they give up a catch. That was a pretty absurd catch; I just don't think he had any idea that Treadwell pulled it off. It's a dumb play, but I'm not gonna extrapolate conclusions about his priorities.

Staff online

Latest posts