Studs And Duds: Green Bay Vs. New Orleans

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

Aaron Rodgers - my goodness, came out with fire in his belly. One of the best first halfs I can remember.

Randall Cobb - all the talk about this kid looks to be true. 2 tds in his first game. WOW

RUNNING BACKS - more balance is nice to see. very nice job on the oline to move the ball.

Jordy Nelson/Greg Jennings - very nice game for both. Rodgers dimes were pinpoint accurate.

Duds:

The ENTIRE pass coverage Defense - 477 passing is inexcusable, but against a VERY GOOD Saints team, it is what it is. I expect more in the future.

Special Teams coverage - Wow we have seen this before. Is it Slocum or the lack of prep due to lockout.

Officiating - Since when is PI when you dive over the top of someone to defend a pass without touching him? Maybe I missed something there. Since when does your knee go down on the 1 with possession of the football mean a touchback. That new official is lost.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Studs:
Rodgers
Jennings
Cobb
Starks
Wells (what a beast! Shaun Rodgers who?)
Raji
Wynn

Duds
Capers (3rd and long 3-man rush has never worked, why keep trying it?)
James Jones (will he be traded?)

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Saints had us thrown off, but we should be able to fix our defense.

At least it wasn't 200 rushing yards we gave up going into Carolina who has a rookie quarterback thinking he can run all over the place.

I too am disappointed in the pass defense but I think it will come together eventually.

Reaction score
Studs:
Rodgers
Jennings
Cobb
Starks
Wells (what a beast! Shaun Rodgers who?)
Raji
Wynn

Duds
Capers (3rd and long 3-man rush has never worked, why keep trying it?)
James Jones (will he be traded?)
Was James Jones a dud or was he just not included in the game plan? I think McCarthy wanted to just get a few quick passes to Jordy and Greg and mix in some Finley. After that he just wanted to run. Jones played a nice game blocking... He had some pretty nice blocks on some of the big runs. I think we will see Jones a lot more against a defense like the Saints. Between the game plan, coincidence, Jordy being left wide open on at least 2 or 3 of his catches, and us running out the whole second half, I'm not surprised that one of our receivers did not have much of a game. This week it was Jones and next week it could be Jennings. You never know.

AsylumGuido

Long Time Saints Fan
Reaction score
Since when does your knee go down on the 1 with possession of the football mean a touchback. That new official is lost.

Downing the ball is a momentum play. If your momentum carries you into the end zone it is a touchback. He extended his leg into the end zone during the play, thus a touchback. It would be no different than grabbing the ball on both knees but falling into the end zone completely. Still a touchback.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Woodson's a dud as well. Almost got himself thrown out of the game. (Should have been) Um, we need you to play Charles.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Was James Jones a dud or was he just not included in the game plan? I think McCarthy wanted to just get a few quick passes to Jordy and Greg and mix in some Finley. After that he just wanted to run. Jones played a nice game blocking... He had some pretty nice blocks on some of the big runs. I think we will see Jones a lot more against a defense like the Saints. Between the game plan, coincidence, Jordy being left wide open on at least 2 or 3 of his catches, and us running out the whole second half, I'm not surprised that one of our receivers did not have much of a game. This week it was Jones and next week it could be Jennings. You never know.

Yea, I know it's not his fault. I more less just meant it was a waste to sign him. Maybe Rodgers DID influence TT a little bit, who knows?

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
Studs:
A-Rod
Jennings
Nelson
Grant
Starks
O-line
Eric Walden
Jarius Wynn
Sir Randall Cobb
D-line against the red zone rushes
hawk- i felt like he made a lot of good plays, including what should have been the game ending pass block

Duds:
ST coverage
woodson- a classy veteran shouldn't punch an opposing player- I don't care what he's doing/says
pass defense

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I was disgusted by the pass defense, it is Drew Brees. When your a top 5 QB throwing 49 times, it's gonna accumulate to yards but again it did seem that the coverage was soft on a lot of plays. Maybe it's rust or just conservative play calling after big lead. They on paper have 4 weeks to fix it being Atlanta is the next NFC contender to play us.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud: AJ Hawk

I said early that anytime that Sproles was in, Hawk should go out for an extra DB. Asking Hawk to cover the speedy little brutha outta K-State is asking way too much. But he stayed in the hole time. If not for an extra DB, I believe the undersized rookie, #51 DJ Smith would do a better job running with Sproles.

Anyway, THAT is not why I am mad at Hawk.
It's his wiff, missed tackle late which forced Tramon Williams to then have to clean up the tackle, and he got hurt on it because of Hawk.

The knee looked bad to me on that play...... was it his knee or hand, or both? We need Tramon.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud: AJ Hawk

I said early that anytime that Sproles was in, Hawk should go out for an extra DB. Asking Hawk to cover the speedy little brutha outta K-State is asking way too much. But he stayed in the hole time. If not for an extra DB, I believe the undersized rookie, #51 DJ Smith would do a better job running with Sproles.

Anyway, THAT is not why I am mad at Hawk.
It's his wiff, missed tackle late which forced Tramon Williams to then have to clean up the tackle, and he got hurt on it because of Hawk.

The knee looked bad to me on that play...... was it his knee or hand, or both? We need Tramon.

Supposedly, it's his shoulder that was injured. Currently, he's listed as day-to-day via covers.com injury report. That doesn't mean much right now though since they haven't really had time to evaluate it.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets just say I wouldnt want to be in any defensive meetings this week for either team.

I would bet $ they hold the panthers to 3 or less next week. I mean... its cam newton lol.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
Aaron Rodgers
Randal Cobb
Duds:
Arm Tacklers
ST coverage (whats freaking new every game just go ahead and drop em into this category)

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
A-Rod
Jennings
Nelson
Grant
Starks
O-line
Eric Walden
Jarius Wynn
Sir Randall Cobb
D-line against the red zone rushes
hawk- i felt like he made a lot of good plays, including what should have been the game ending pass block

Duds:
ST coverage
woodson- a classy veteran shouldn't punch an opposing player- I don't care what he's doing/says
pass defense

Eric Walden??? seriously??? besides one play where he went unblocked towards brees all he did the entire game was get beat in pass coverage.

OP
OP
lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Downing the ball is a momentum play. If your momentum carries you into the end zone it is a touchback. He extended his leg into the end zone during the play, thus a touchback. It would be no different than grabbing the ball on both knees but falling into the end zone completely. Still a touchback.

doesnt the ball have to cross the plain of the goalline at some point during that progression?

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Technically correct but still rubbish. If that is the logic why does the ball have to cross the plane to be a score? Why not just any part of the players body? NFL rules is so stupid sometimes and inconsistent most other times.

Number1joker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody has Kuhn on their list?? He had a few good rushes a td and helped cobb stay up-rite on that return!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys are forgetting one big STUD last night:

THE OFFENSIVE LINE.

About time I can say that. Not since Sherman we've had this good of an OL. Kept Rodgers upright all game against a GREAT blitzing D, and they opened up holes in the running game that my grandma could've run through. They looked like the hogs out there!

The best of the bunch? Incredibly, it was Wells, and in the running game. He DOMINATED Shaun Rodgers. I never thought he could do that, but Wells looked like Mike Webster out there.

If this OL can perform like this all year long, we'll set NFL records on offense. Guarantee it.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets just say I wouldnt want to be in any defensive meetings this week for either team.

I would bet $ they hold the panthers to 3 or less next week. I mean... its cam newton lol.

I agree. Even in 2009 they made young QBs look bad. It was guys like Kurt Warner and Ben Roethlisberger who were tearing Dom Capers's defense apart.

Now if they look bad against Carolina then I'll be more worried, lol.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although the defense left alot to be desired, I thought the linebacking corps played well. Hawk and Matthews were all over the place and Walden had a couple huge plays. Didn't see alot out of Bishop though except for that horrible missed tackle.

Staff online

Latest posts