Rodgers Contract

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I would LOVE to see the apple cart go down a few hills. The amount of money these guys are getting paid has gotten way off the extreme chart. I stopped watching baseball because of it and if it continues in football, who knows what I will do.

Out of curiousity, why does how much the players make impact how much you enjoy the game?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Out of curiousity, why does how much the players make impact how much you enjoy the game?
Do you want the long or the short answer? ;)

The short answer is: Priorities and distribution of wealth. Look around at the world and look at the poverty, schools, public infrastructure, homelessness etc. I live in a community that is having a hard time finding Fire Fighters, because we can't afford to pay them more than the going rate of $45K/year. These are men and women who pull you or I out of a burning house.

The long answer would include the economics of the NFL.

People tend to want to think the NFL operates in its own bubble and what happens there doesn't directly affect the economy of others, especially those who don't watch or buy a ticket to a game. Well, how do you think FOX, NBC, ESPN, NFL Network, etc make their money to pay the NFL to broadcast the games? They sell advertisement space. How do the advertisers pay for that privilege? They charge more for their products. So that State Farm Policy you just bought to protect your home cost you $1200/year instead of $900, whether you watch football or not.

So much more to it, but the long and short for me is that the NFL has become a guilty pleasure for me. I see it as an entertainment business that grossly overpays the relatively few participants. Why do they grossly overpay? Because the money is there. To me, the NFL is like a HUGE lottery, where everyone plays, but only a few are guaranteed to participate in the payouts.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have as much of a problem with the guys who take a beating every Sunday getting a large chunk of the money that's coming in. It's out of whack when it comes to the firefighter's salary but we humans aren't really that good at prioritizing responsibly.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't have as much of a problem with the guys who take a beating every Sunday getting a large chunk of the money that's coming in. It's out of whack when it comes to the firefighter's salary but we humans aren't really that good at prioritizing responsibly.

I have no issues with players getting their fare share of the pie, it is the size of that pie that I have a problem with.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
How did you get hold of my house insurance bills?
Funny thing is, people will respond to that with "then don't buy products that are affiliated with Sports", but its a trickle down thing. If State Farm can advertise in the NFL and sell policies at $1200, why can't "Joe Independent Insurance", raise his non advertised rates from $700 to $1000 and still compete?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
$32M a year is roughly 18% of the cap in the first year, declining a percentage each year. That would be a good deal.

I think we can go to 34/year and be fine. The interesting part will be the guaranteed money and bonuses.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
$32M a year is roughly 18% of the cap in the first year, declining a percentage each year. That would be a good deal.

I think we can go to 34/year and be fine. The interesting part will be the guaranteed money and bonuses.
the actual nfl cap and actual Rodgers' contract numbers will be the interesting part. that link i posted is someone's best guess. i think they're guessing low.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've posted before that no team has won a Super Bowl with a QB taking up more than 13.1% of the salary cap (Steve Young). Doesn't mean it can't happen but it's an interesting stat.

Colin Cowherd today was talking about how Tom Brady takes less as a way of investing in himself for the long term. I know everybody hates Cowherd but I thought this was a good point. By taking less, the team can sign better players, which translates into more wins, more titles, his reputation and legacy increase, he'll be able to cash in on his celebrity long after his football career ends. He'll be a legend in New England forever. The team can afford to pay a better offensive line to protect him, which helps keep him healthy, so he can maybe play until 45 like he says he wants to.

Last edited:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last edited:

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By no means am I saying Rodgers doesn't deserve the money. But with 2 years left on a contract he agreed to, what is the rush to get a long term deal to make him the highest paid player ever? Hes not getting younger and he has had his fair share of injuries. Technically they can still tag him 2 years after that at probably the rate he will make now.

I just dont see the rush to dump a bunch of money on a guy coming off an injury

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By no means am I saying Rodgers doesn't deserve the money. But with 2 years left on a contract he agreed to, what is the rush to get a long term deal to make him the highest paid player ever? Hes not getting younger and he has had his fair share of injuries. Technically they can still tag him 2 years after that at probably the rate he will make now.

I see some logic in what you say... but he isn't Kirk Cousins .... he's Aaron Rodgers. Some people are just too important not to take seriously Aaaron is one of those few.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no issues with players getting their fare share of the pie, it is the size of that pie that I have a problem with.

Why would you have a problem with the size of the pie?

You yourself are part of the reason it's such a big pie

Sports are an entertainment business. They only make as much money as the consumer allows.

I have no problem with how much these guys make. Hell the salary cap is based on generated revenue. The league makes more money..... They make more money.... How is this a problem?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excellent article at www.cbssports.com on Rodgers deal by Joel Corry. Go to the NFL section; it's on the NFL page called "Agent's Take". It not only breaks down all the factors involved in putting this deal together, but also explains how the Packers like to structure their contracts. Worth the time.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Why would you have a problem with the size of the pie?

You yourself are part of the reason it's such a big pie

Sports are an entertainment business. They only make as much money as the consumer allows.

I have no problem with how much these guys make. Hell the salary cap is based on generated revenue. The league makes more money..... They make more money.... How is this a problem?

Appears you did not read my previous post. I will include it below so as not to be redundant. Most people with your opinion have a similar response "Geez man, it is what it is, the money is there and you contributed to it, get over it." If that is all you see, then it probably isn't a worthwhile discussion for you and I to have.

Do you want the long or the short answer? ;)

The short answer is: Priorities and distribution of wealth. Look around at the world and look at the poverty, schools, public infrastructure, homelessness etc. I live in a community that is having a hard time finding Fire Fighters, because we can't afford to pay them more than the going rate of $45K/year. These are men and women who pull you or I out of a burning house.

The long answer would include the economics of the NFL.

People tend to want to think the NFL operates in its own bubble and what happens there doesn't directly affect the economy of others, especially those who don't watch or buy a ticket to a game. Well, how do you think FOX, NBC, ESPN, NFL Network, etc make their money to pay the NFL to broadcast the games? They sell advertisement space. How do the advertisers pay for that privilege? They charge more for their products. So that State Farm Policy you just bought to protect your home cost you $1200/year instead of $900, whether you watch football or not.

So much more to it, but the long and short for me is that the NFL has become a guilty pleasure for me. I see it as an entertainment business that grossly overpays the relatively few participants. Why do they grossly overpay? Because the money is there. To me, the NFL is like a HUGE lottery, where everyone plays, but only a few are guaranteed to participate in the payouts.

H

HardRightEdge

Excellent article at www.cbssports.com on Rodgers deal by Joel Corry. Go to the NFL section; it's on the NFL page called "Agent's Take". It not only breaks down all the factors involved in putting this deal together, but also explains how the Packers like to structure their contracts. Worth the time.
While talk of a fully guaranteed deal for Rodgers is absurd on its face, this proposal would be a good deal for the Packers, relative to Ryan, but looks a little light.

The first thing to note is the proposed Rodgers deal presented is not an "extention" per se since 2018 and 2019 are rewritten in what amounts to a new 7 year contract. The "new money" is $32 milliom per year for the 5 years added, but the average for the 7 years is $28.9 million

Ryan's deal runs 6 years. The author does not mention that Ryan's cash flow is $172 mil over those six years compared to Rodgers $171 mil in this proposal.

In year 7 of this proposed Rodgers deal he will be turning 42 before the playoffs; that 7th. year has no dead cap; it has $32 mil in cap savings. It is a year not likely to be executed. In fact, there's no dead cap in the 6th. year of the deal and $27 million in cap savings.

Ryan is 1 1/2 years younger while his deal has some meaningful dead cap through year 5 as with this proporsed Rodgers deal.

Ryans deal has a larger guarantee than that proposed for Rodgers, though one would reasonably expect that money to be earned anyway barring disaster.

In short, the deals are about on par.

Personally, I would not extend Rodgers until I know he's fully himself with that plate in his shoulder. His last game did not show that.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Appears you did not read my previous post. I will include it below so as not to be redundant. Most people with your opinion have a similar response "Geez man, it is what it is, the money is there and you contributed to it, get over it." If that is all you see, then it probably isn't a worthwhile discussion for you and I to have.
You also have to realize
American individuals, estates, foundations and corporations contributed an estimated $390.05 billion to U.S. charities in 2016, according to Giving USA 2017: The Annual Report on Philanthropy for the Year 2016
plus
About 9 percent of the federal budget in 2016, or $366 billion, supported programs that provide aid (other than health insurance or Social Security benefits) to individuals and families facing hardship.
which didn't include
Four health insurance programs — Medicare, Medicaid, the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), and Affordable Care Act (ACA) marketplace subsidies — together accounted for 26 percent of the budget in 2016, or $1 trillion.
while
NFL Revenues Projected To Surpass $13 Billion In 2016
and
In the U.S., the music industry was estimated to generate about 17.2 billion U.S. dollars in 2016.
Not to be outdone
the global box office revenue is forecast to increase from about 38 billion U.S. dollars in 2016 to nearly 50 billion U.S. dollars in 2020. ... Just under 1.2 billion movie tickets were sold in the U.S. in 2016.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think everyone here is accurate in their guess on about what the deal will be worth per year. The biggest question will be structure.
A long term mega deal like Ryan's?
A shorter fatter version with more guarantees like Cousins? Gonna be interesting to see where this ends up.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You also have to realize plus which didn't include while and Not to be outdone

Yup and thanks for the stats. Still doesn't change my mind about the amount of money in any of the businesses you listed. I'm sure when Bonnie and Clyde were out robbing banks, there were others doing it as well, still didn't justify it.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You could wait two more years, after other QB's get even larger contracts and he only becomes more expensive.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Personally, I would not extend Rodgers until I know he's fully himself with that plate in his shoulder. His last game did not show that.
I strongly agree with this. While I understand you want to make the guy happy, this is a HUGE investment and one that could cripple the Packers if they were entering into the contract with a player that wasn't the same player after the injury. I doubt that they use the entire 2 years that he has left on his contract to figure this out, but what is the hurry when the stakes are so high?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You could wait two more years, after other QB's get even larger contracts and he only becomes more expensive.
I doubt you have to wait the 2 years, but you could wait until you know the guy is 100% fully recovered from his shoulder injury. I also don't know if the remaining portion of his current contract will be factored into his new one, but it is for a lot less money.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Consider also the rust factor in Rodgers return vs the Panthers. How much was the shoulder and how much was not being in action for 2 months.
Also, several doctors had said that even though he was cleared to play, his arm still needed more time to regain strength on his throws.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Consider also the rust factor in Rodgers return vs the Panthers. How much was the shoulder and how much was not being in action for 2 months.
Also, several doctors had said that even though he was cleared to play, his arm still needed more time to regain strength on his throws.
Definitely some question marks to consider, yet most are ready to step up and pay him like the QB he was before the injury. Do I want to believe the doctors and AR himself, that everything will be fine? Of course I do, but that is a sh*t load of money to not think about the what ifs.