Predict the final record competition - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess and obviously just a gut feeling. A slight step - backwards with 1st year DC would be offset by a slight + in personnel (+Stokes + Slaton+ McDuffie) Kirksey n Campbell are a wash and 1 year extra experience there throughout. Our D floor stays 2020 relative, but our ceiling went up Slightly imo.
That's a reasonable analysis. I think everyone is counting on Stokes to play well. Slaton and McDuffie were pleasant surprises and hopefully their PS performance carries over to the regular season.

It looks like this is Rodgers last year in GB. Assuming they can get some pretty good draft capital in a trade, I wouldn't mind if this team flipped the script and developed an elite defensive unit. This assumes that Love proves capable of at least being a good game manager and moving the offense. With the addition of Hill (a seventh round pick no less) the offense could focus on the running game. They've got three very promising back in Jones, Dillon, and Hill. Fill the holes at ILB and DL and the D starts to look very, very good.

This would be a real switch. GB has been an offensive powerhouse for most of the last 30 years. Of course they had back-to-back HOF QBs as well. And I still believe that while offense might get a team to the playoffs, it's the D that wins games when the lights are the brightest.

I got way off topic. Yeah, their D should be similar to last year, with a higher ceiling as you note.

Budman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess and obviously just a gut feeling. A slight step - backwards with 1st year DC would be offset by a slight + in personnel (+Stokes + Slaton+ McDuffie) Kirksey n Campbell are a wash and 1 year extra experience there throughout. Our D floor stays 2020 relative, but our ceiling went up Slightly imo.
Good points. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Barry can gets these guys on the same page. A you pointed out, a slight step back might be in order due to the newness of the scheme. I'm speaking off the top of my head but I think GB defense was in the top 15ish range last year for opponents points per game? My ranking of 10th might be a little pie in the skyish!

Budman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This would be a real switch. GB has been an offensive powerhouse for most of the last 30 years. Of course they had back-to-back HOF QBs as well. And I still believe that while offense might get a team to the playoffs, it's the D that wins games when the lights are the brightest.

I got way off topic. Yeah, their D should be similar to last year, with a higher ceiling as you note.
I'm way off topic too and apologize but I would love it if GB grew them an elite defense.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm way off topic too and apologize but I would love it if GB grew them an elite defense.
Yeah the two teams I always think about when it comes to elite Ds are the Steelers and the Ravens. And as great as Tom Brady is, it was Tampa's D that got them the Lombardi Trophy last year. If we do trade Rodgers next year, I hope whatever we get helps the D. Also hoping Love can become an above average game manager. With a great D, it isn't always necessary to have a HOF QB.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots of optimism in this thread given the claims that Rodgers was sabotaging the team :ninja:
And once the Packers start going 4-0 again get ready to see those Debbie downers choke on sandwiches. Meantime, the pots and pans will be banged on their head every time the Packers score a TD.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And once the Packers start going 4-0 again get ready to see those Debbie downers choke on sandwiches. Meantime, the pots and pans will be banged on their head every time the Packers score a TD.
Well said. I get that this is a fan's forum so I'd expect people to favor the Packers, but given their roster and their record the last two years, a solid wining record should be expected - barring injury and all that. They were one bad player away from the SB last year, and the team has lost a few good players, kept a few good players, and added a few good players. This is shaping up to be one of the best drafts in a long time. I know, I know, we need to wait and see on that. But I consider myself a reasonable Packers' fan, and these predictions aren't far out of line imo.

It's a coin toss as to whether or not they can win the SB. So I'll take Heads - SB win. C'mon, why not? The world kinda sucks these days and we need something to look forward to.

Reaction score
Good points. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Barry can gets these guys on the same page. A you pointed out, a slight step back might be in order due to the newness of the scheme. I'm speaking off the top of my head but I think GB defense was in the top 15ish range last year for opponents points per game? My ranking of 10th might be a little pie in the skyish!
I was thinking about that. Some of the variables affecting the Defensive ranking side of things will be how other teams throughout the league improve or regress on Offense, particularly would be our NFC competition, because that’s the bulk of our season.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Course I said that line about Benkert jokingly, BUT ... Just got word they dropkicked Hundley outta there opening up a spot for him lol

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After a 5-4 start Bahk will come back and the Pack will run the table to finish 13-4.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
After a 5-4 start Bahk will come back and the Pack will run the table to finish 13-4.
I believe he is only out 6 games. It will be when they are 6-0.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick do you really think the Packer doctors are going to let Bakh play after 1 week of practice? Week 8 is a Thursday game so again I do not see him playing. Week 9 vs. KC is my best case scenario and I believe they lose in KC with or without him. Then the run begins.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Nick do you really think the Packer doctors are going to let Bakh play after 1 week of practice? Week 8 is a Thursday game so again I do not see him playing. Week 9 vs. KC is my best case scenario and I believe they lose in KC with or without him. Then the run begins.
I do think they will let him play after 1 week. He is a veteran and will be ready. I've been wrong a lot though. Time will tell.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think they will let him play after 1 week. He is a veteran and will be ready. I've been wrong a lot though. Time will tell.
Nick - if he's designated as PUP, I don't think the team has the option of playing Bakhtiari until six weeks are up. They could have put him on IR and he could have returned after three weeks. Two problems with that - 1) he probably wouldn't be cleared to play by the medical staff in 3 weeks and 2) he'd count against the 53 on the roster.

It's truly a bummer. He was missed in the NFCCG and he'll be missed until almost the half way point of this season. But I'd rather wait and get him back healthy than risk another injury. Big guys like Bakh have to be careful recovering from knee surgery and especially ACL tears. That's a lot of weight going through that joint. It sucks, but PUP was the right call. They can still win a lot of games without him. Teams with elite DLs, not so much. But there aren't that many elite DLs, and the Packers still have a great starting OL and depth and versatility. They'll be ok.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Previous winners:

2017 - @Poppa San
2018 - N/A
2019 - @Poppa San
2020 - @XPack
2021 - @PackAttack12 :p

Here's how it works. Each poster gives their prediction on the final record for the 17 game regular season. (example - 10-7). But seeing as how it's almost all but certain that multiple posters will predict the winning record, there are three tie breakers:

Tie Breaker 1:
When will the Packers be eliminated from competition (examples - miss playoffs, wild card round, divisional round, NFC Championship game, Super Bowl, Super Bowl champions)

Tie Breaker 2: Where will the Packers offense rank in points per game among the rest of the NFL teams (example - 15th)

Tie Breaker 3: Where will the Packers defense rank in opponents points per game among the rest of the NFL teams (example - 15th)

I'm curious to see where each poster feels like each unit will fare this season.

Also - this should be diverse enough to insure there won't be more than one winner. If the 1st tie breaker doesn't determine a winner, we'll move on to the 2nd, and so forth. Feel free to add additional predictions/comments about how you're feeling about the season after listing your predicted record, along with tie breakers.

To keep posters from editing, I will compile all predictions and edit it into this opening post. If a moderator would like to close the thread until the end of the regular season, that would be okay. I'll list each poster in order alphabetically.

Final predictions are due by noon on September 12th. Approximately 6.5 hours before learning that the Packers have started the season 1-0. :D

For those that aren't ready to give a prediction yet, I'll bump the thread periodically as needed.

The winner gets bragging rights for a year :cool:
10-7. Wild Card. Lose in 1st round.
Offense # 6. Defense # 16

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
10-7. Wild Card. Lose in 1st round.
Offense # 6. Defense # 16
Your predictions are a little on the lower side (compared to others) but I think your O and D rankings aren't far off. I'm hoping they can have a #10 D, which would probably be good for two more wins.

I don't see them losing the NFC North. If they do it would most likely be to the Bears. Anyway, thanks for a prediction that is a little closer to reality or at least a little off the mainstream here. I've predicted two more wins (12) and a deep playoff run. That's optimistic and reflects the "homer" in me. I think they'll win the NFC North title and, at a minimum, make it back to the NFCCG. Although with that said, I'm not sure I could emotionally handle a fifth straight loss in the NFCCG. My therapist would be working overtime for a while.......

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
12-5, Lose in Superbowl

Offense- 2nd in points per game
Defense- 13th in points given per game

Status
Not open for further replies.