Packers vs Bears Game Review & Redskins Preview

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[align=center]TOP HAT'S WEEKLY GAME REVIEW[/align]

SUMMARY:

The Packers committed five crucial turnovers and twelve costly penalties that the Chicago Bears capitalized upon for a 27-20 come-from-behind victory in a prime time Sunday night home game. Q Favre completed 29 passes for 322 yards with one touchdown and one costly interception. The Packers did establish a good running game rushing for 121 yards with a net of 5.5 per yards. The loss dropped the Packers from the ranks of the unbeaten to 4-1.

QUOTES:

Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said: “Green Bay's got a very good football team. They're going to be a playoff team. They're going to get their allotment of wins. I really think they do a nice job using their personnel on offense and I really like their defense."

Favre said: "We're not a bad football team but we're not great, either. We help them out like we did tonight - put the ball on the ground, make bad decisions, stupid penalties (12 for 93 yards) - you're going to get beat. Their [half-time] adjustments, I guess, were better than ours.

McCarthy: "It's very important when you set particular objectives in a football game as part of your game plan that you go out and execute them. We had a number of turnovers that game that took points off the board. You cannot turn the football over and win in this league. It's evident week in and week out."

TURNING POINT:

With the Packers leading 20-10, on a third-and-5 play at the Packer 15-yard line, Q Favre did a roll out to the right side. Instead of throwing away the ball in face of tight coverage, he threw an awful interception to LB Urlacher. On the next play, the Bears scored a touchdown changing the momentum of the game to their favor.

REPORT CARD: THE GOOD, BAD, & UGLY

Passing offense: B+

Q Favre completed 29 passes out of 40 throws for 322 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions. WR Jennings had a solid game with 4 receptions for 83 yards. WR Jones had 5 receptions for 64, but he dropped a pass and he made two crucial fumbles in Bears territory. RB Morency had 7 receptions for 48 yards. In the third quarter, Favre’s first interception changed the momentum of the game leading to a Bears score. The team failed to score in the second half except on a field goal with the Bears in a cover two scheme. In the red zone, the team was one out of four.

Rushing offense: B-

The rushing game came to life getting 121 total yards averaging 5.5 yards per carry. RB Wynn had 13 carries for 78 yards. RB Morency had 9 carries for 43 yards. However, the second half saw a return to a struggling running game with the offense getting only 19 yards on 9 carries. The reviewers assigned major responsibility for the second half collapse of the offensive line to the guards Coston and Colledge: "McCarthy wasn't too far off in declaring that there were yards to be made on the ground, but thanks mostly to the inability of the line - mostly the guards - to block linebacker Lance Briggs (16 tackles), the running game went nowhere."

Passing defense: B

The cornerbacks had a generally solid game. The big plays were caused by the failure of LBs and Ss to cover the RB and TEs. LB Poppinga had a bad coverage game giving up the crucial scoring touchdown pass to TE Clark. Also, S Collins had a bad coverage game allowing big plays including RB Peterson's 30 yard reception and TE Olsen's 27 yard reception. Further, S Bigby surrendered a touchdown pass to TE Olsen, although it was a great catch.

Rushing defense: B+

DT Pickett, DT William, & DT Jolly were solid against the run. The Bears tried to grind-it-out with 33 carries, but they got only 82 yards averaging a mere 2.5 yards per carry. DE Jenkins and DE Kampman continued to struggle against the run. Also, their pass rush was almost nonexistant. Generally, LB Hawk and LB Barnett had solid games against the run and the pass.

Special Teams: B

The Packers used pooch kickoffs to keep the ball away from KR Hester, but the Bears averaged good field position because of it. On his punt returns, Hester averaged only 10 yards. KR Williams had six kick returns averaging a good 29 yards. However, CB Woodson's punt returns averaging 12 yards had one costly fumble. Ryan had five solid punts averaging 48 yards gross, 40 net, and 4.24 hang time. K Crosby hit two FGs of 37 yards.

Coaching: C

McCarthy failed with half-time adjustments and crucial playcalling facing the second half cover two scheme with weaknesses that all coaching staffs know about...ask Leroy Butler. In the second half, he abandoned the passing offense after Favre’s costly interception in favor of a too conservative play-calling mode. As one brutal reviewer put it: "During the intermission you're supposed to make adjustments. OK, they're gonna stop the run now, so here's what we'll do. What the Packers did in the second half was run the ball into the heart of the defense, like mindless idiots, and then throw the short checkdown on third down. They got one first down on their first possession, on a screen pass. And between that time and their last possession, with 1:58 left in the game, after the Bears had fought back and taken the lead, they didn't have any. Five straight series of three and out. Five series of garbage plays, highlighted by that lunatic pass Favre threw into Brian Urlacher's arms that came back for six." As an echo from last season, in the second half, the Bears outcoached and outplayed the Packers.

Overall: C

The Packers literally gave this game away with the turnovers, penalties, bad field positions, and conservative play calling in the second half in a sloppy "inexcusable" performance lacking maturity and poise at home against an old division rival.

COMMENTARY:

"It was a mortifying display. In a haze of five turnovers and 12 penalties, the four-game winning streak went out the door, the magic left the building and the Bears have life, thanks to a Packers team that performed like the Patriots in the first half and the Brewers' bullpen in the second. What should have been a four-game lead over the Bears is just two. What should have been a team that continued to grow in confidence is one whose confidence has been shaken. All the things that seemed probable yesterday are only plausible today. Things, perhaps, are simply not what they seemed. Good teams close these games out. Good teams don't self-destruct with the game in hand. So, it's fair to ask yourself, did the Packers go from a good team to suspect in 30 minutes? There is no way to know for certain, but this much is a certainty. This was a monumental collapse; there is no other way to frame it. It was equal parts puzzling, disappointing and disturbing."

GAME BALLS:

1. RB Wynn.

2. WR Jennings.

POSITIVES:

1. Reality check for a young team, learning maturity and poise, with the coaching staff knowing the weak links that need to improve against future rivals.

2. Running game is improving.

3. We are still 4-1 next at home against Washington, a tough game that can be won.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers vs. Bears Game Review & Washington Preview

Having watched the Cowboys/Bills game where Cowboys turned the ball over 6 times and still won, I'd have to say the stupid penalties hurt us almost as much as the fumbles... Though another 14 points on the board would have been the difference.

Washington is at 3-1 and though I don't know much about them, my feeling is that they are in for a determined, focused and angry Packer team that will be dishing it out.

As always, I expect the win and a BIG won.

Go Packers!
15-1 Superbowl!

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Packers vs. Bears Game Review & Washington Preview

Having watched the Cowboys/Bills game where Cowboys turned the ball over 6 times and still won, I'd have to say the stupid penalties hurt us almost as much as the fumbles... Though another 14 points on the board would have been the difference.

you can't really compare this to last night's BUF/DAL game, IMO. We played a gritty, Super Bowl runner-up team.

Dallas played a buffalo team that's pretty much got pop-warner guys on their roster now due to injuries.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Great teams find a way to win no matter the situation. Dallas did last night and proved they're the class in the NFC.

I really can't wait until we get to test our team by facing them.

Nonetheless, I'm still pissed about this loss, but it's time to move on.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Great teams find a way to win no matter the situation. Dallas did last night and proved they're the class in the NFC.

I really can't wait until we get to test our team by facing them.

Nonetheless, I'm still pissed about this loss, but it's time to move on.

Meh. I saw it as a strike against them, myself. They had to pull out a miracle against one of the worst teams in the league. That doesn't make them the best in the conference in my mind.

Do I think they're better than the Packers? MMmmmmm.... probably. Do I think that we can beat them in the playoffs? Definitely.

I guess I'm going way off topic with this, but oh well...

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers vs. Bears Game Review & Washington Preview

Well, that game was one of the most inexplicably frustrating games I have ever witnessed. I'm not even going to talk in depth about the phantom hands to the face, phantom DT over snapper, and timeout penalty on an accepted challenge. I won't even talk in depth about the turnovers, because we should have won against a lesser team even WITH 5 turnovers. The second half playcalling and execution was mind boggling. I saw a large handful of plays where Clifton and usually another OL just stood there and didn't even TRY to block their assignments. They just watched them run right by, with zero contact. I saw McCarthy call horrible play after horrible play, including two straight 3rd down situations where he ran a gimmick rollout play and a failed draw play. It literally looked like they were throwing the game intentionally, from the stands. Any team could have been out there and we would have self destructed just the same. I hope that the team earned enough money throwing this game to secure their retirements, because it's time to get back to playing football next weekend vs. the Skins.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Game Review

http://www.mytvisonfire.com/packersnation/?p=2396

Bears at Packers Game Review

In my opinion the Packers lost the game instead of the Bears winning the game.

Why the Packers Lost

Turnovers, Turnovers, Turnovers, Turnovers, Turnovers. When a team has 5 turnovers there is a slim chance they could ever win. One of the turnovers weren’t that big since the INT in the endzone was a last second chance at a game tying score. That was probably the best thing we could have done at that point in the game. The other turnovers were inexcusable. Jones really needs to learn how to hold onto the ball after he catches it (thats 3 fumbles in 2 weeks). Woodson also needs to be taken off punt returning duties. The good thing is that the Packers shouldn’t commit these many turnovers in another game. McCarthy needs to dedicate an entire practice this week to ball security.

Poor play calling in the second half. I hate when the Packers play not to lose since for the most part we lose. We were throwing the ball so well and then we decide to run the ball so much in the second half. That was some terrible play calling by MM. We should have kept throwing the ball because it was working so well. I hope this shows MM that we should never play not to lose EVER again.

Stupid Penalties. The Packers committed so many stupid penalties in this game. There were stupid holdings, pass interferences, and face mask penalties. We had 12 penalties for almost 100 yards. We just played sloppy.

The refs played a part in this as well (the refs were not the only problem though). The refs made 2 bad calls and one just plain stupid call. The stupid call was when they instant replayed to see how many players were on the field. I guess the ref couldn’t count because there was easily 12 people on the field. The two bad calls were lining up on the center call (why was this ever made a rule since it is the stupidest rule I have ever heard of) and the challenge for the first down at the end of the game. The field goal penalty is just plain stupid. Why is the NFL wasting time on stupid penalties like that when they should be focusing on calling more offensive pass interference (too many receivers get away with pushing the CBs away). On the challenge for the first down the Packers should have got their timeout back since the replay did show that the refs marked the ball right and we should have won the challenge even though they still got the first down. Some of these penalties could have played an impact in the game but they were by far not the only reason why the Packers lost.

Positives to take out of the game

The Packers could finally establish a running game. It was good to see the Packers finally be able to establish a running game. Both DeShawn Wynn and Vernand Morency ran the ball well and they instilled some confidence in the running game. Our run blocking also did a good job opening up holes in the defense.

The Packers can’t play any worse. This game showed how bad the Packers can play. It is highly unlikely that the Packers will play this bad the rest of the season. What is even more encouraging is that even though we played our worst game of the season we still almost beat the Bears. When you lose the turnover margin by 4 your team should be killed and yet we only lost by a touchdown. This does not look good for the Bears. We gave them all the opportunities to win the game and they barely converted on any of them. The Packers will rebound next week and play a lot better.

Players that contributed to the loss

James Jones had a bad game. Lets remember that he is a rookie after all. He is bound to have some bad games. Jones is great at catching the ball but he needs a refresher course on how to hold onto the ball after the catches the ball. I believe this will come to him with experience.

Mike McCarthy. I know Mike McCarthy is not a player but he is as responsible for the bad game as much as anyone else on the team. His play calling in the second half was downright terrible. McCarthy should never gone into the game plan of playing not to lose. When you play not to lose you almost always end up losing.

Players that played well despite the loss

Vernand Morency and Deshawn Wynn both had great games last night. We finally had over 100 yards rushing and both seemed to take all that they were given and got the most yards they could out of every carry. Let’s hope their performance continues next week.

Greg Jennings had another great game. Too bad he got hurt in the second half. If Greg Jennings could stay healthy I believe he could be a top tier WR in the NFL.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers vs Bears Game Review & Washington Preview

That summary at the top of this thread is brutally honest and right on the money all the way through. Thanks, TOPHAT. I am not quite ready to move on and start thinking about the Redskins, but I'm getting close. It's not easy to let go when your team wizzes one down its leg like the Packers did on Sunday.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Game Review

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/print/5584/

Any Given Sunday: Bears over Packers

The balance of power changes quickly in the NFL. One season after the Bears went to the Super Bowl, they were underdogs against a Packers team that has missed the playoffs each of the last two seasons. Through two quarters, the deterioration of the Bears seemed accelerated. In one brilliant defensive half, the Bears recaptured their 2006 magic and saved their season. The Packers, meanwhile, showed that they may have trouble dealing with success, as they lack an offense that can effectively run out the clock. The Packers were clearly the better team in the first half, but they played too conservative in the second half and were dominated by the Bears defense. The Packers ran on five of their first six and on nine of the first 11 second half plays. Even when they returned to the pass, they kept everything short. Brett Favre did not attempt a second half pass of 15 yards until the penultimate play of the game. Before the desperation last drive, Favre did not throw a second half pass to his best receiver, Donald Driver. Seven of his ten attempts during this time went to running backs or tight ends.

In no small part, the Bears defense deserves credit for this play. The defensive line began to dominate. Lance Briggs was everywhere, and Brian Urlacher made a crucial interception. At the same time, the Packers were clearly burdened by a lack of sustainable running attack. The early running success was largely a result of surprise, as the Bears had linebackers dropping into coverage and defensive ends rushing upfield. Once it became clear that the Packers were trying to run the ball, the Bears adjusted and eliminated the big runs. Nine second half runs netted a total of 19 yards. This game was the first the Packers played where they held a lead they needed to sustain. Previous wins were all in doubt into the fourth quarter. Even their one blowout, over the Giants, did not get out of hand until late in the fourth quarter.

The Packers offense is pass-heavy, but they have a quarterback who will make the occasional mistake. Favre’s ill-timed interception in this game was extremely costly. Nursing a big lead, the temptation is to pull in Favre and attack on the ground. Neither of those options proved successful on Sunday. The Packers should stick with their game plan, which involves high percentage passes down the middle of the field that should keep the clock moving anyway. Favre’s interceptions are the price you pay for the rest of his high-quality play. The Packers should continue to stress ball security with Favre, but they cannot be afraid of their own quarterback. He is still the best player on their offense. Griese was facing a decent pass rush from the Packers and was only sacked two times. Fortunately for Chicago, the Packers have deemphasized Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila in order to shore up their run defense. The run defense is much improved, but the Packers are not as successful rushing the passer as they were in years past.

Griese’s success, however limited, highlighted a major weakness for the Packers defense. Standout defensive backs Al Harris and Charles Woodson cover the outside of the field, but the safeties and linebackers struggle at times in coverage. The Bears exploited this with tight ends Olsen and Desmond Clark. Other teams have had similar success by bringing primary targets across the middle. For Chicago, their starting receivers generally line up outside, but they proved effective clearing Harris from the sideline to open up space for the tight ends. For Green Bay, the pass defense is becoming a certifiable weakness. They have great faith in their corners and play a great deal of man-to-man coverage. The problem is that while the starting corners are good, the rest of the defense is not up to the task. The Packers will see more and more receivers on the field against them, and they do not have the personnel to contain them. They will then be forced to drop safeties back into coverage, leaving them susceptible to the run.

These nitpickings aside, the 2007 Packers are a much more complete team than the 2007 Bears, and nothing in Green Bay on Sunday goes to disprove the notion. The Packers had 154 more yards of total offense, but the turnovers killed them. The Bears were fortunate to recover all three fumbles they forced, including an acrobatic recovery by punter Brad Maynard. The Packers also committed 12 penalties, including one that kept alive the Bears’ first touchdown drive. Finally, the Packers dodged Devin Hester but did so at an extreme cost. Kicker Mason Crosby had four meaningful kickoffs, and he always kept his kickoffs short. As a result, the Bears started on at least the 30-yard line each kick and three times started outside the 35-yard line. Only once did Chicago score with the advantageous field position, but the other three times they were able to flip field position and pin the Packers inside their own 25-yard line. Meanwhile, the Packers only reached the 30-yard line on one of their six kickoff returns. Due to penalties, they twice started inside their own 20-yard line. The end result of conservative play-calling, bad fumble recovery luck, penalties, and poor special teams play was a seven-point win by Chicago.

The Bears dominated the line of scrimmage and disrupted any rhythm that the Packers hoped to maintain. Favre’s lack of time in the pocket and open receivers downfield certainly contributed to his conservative decisions. For Green Bay, this game was oddly reassuring. Despite the loss, they maintain a two game lead over the Bears in the division, and they showed their first signs of life in the running game. The Packers’ one weakness, pass defense against multiple-receiver sets, is likely one that will not be exploited in the coming weeks. They face a series of teams in the coming weeks that normally excel on the ground. Washington, Denver, Kansas City, Minnesota, and Carolina would all prefer to run the ball, and the Packers should win at least three of those games. At that point, they should be 7-3 and able to coast into the NFC playoffs.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Packers vs Bears Game Review & Washington Preview

Greg C. said:
That summary at the top of this thread is brutally honest and right on the money all the way through. Thanks, TOPHAT. I am not quite ready to move on and start thinking about the Redskins, but I'm getting close. It's not easy to let go when your team wizzes one down its leg like the Packers did on Sunday.

I AGREE...INSIDER & ACCURATE INFO THREAD VS 100 RAMBLING THREADS.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anybody has talked about Harrell's first action yet. I tried to focus on him from the stands when I saw #91 in there, and he got a decent push every time, including blowing up a running play for -1 yards. He looks in good shape (surprisingly lean in the stomach area), especially for a DT, and very strong.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of him in the coming games!

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the points about the Bears defense because sure the Lions beat them in the end the week before, but we got a much more complete Bears defense than they had. We saw it many second halfs last season. They just know how to come together in the clutch in my opinion. Still a very good experienced defense.

Members online

Latest posts