Packers sign P Drew Kaser

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, there's no way to be sure the Packers actually can afford to go without Scott tonight. As HRE pointed out, what happens if Crosby misses a potential game winning field goal because of a bad hold by a punter that hasn't even practiced with the team???
Then we lose a game and Scott gets to be where he needs to be and life goes on.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is great. It's pretty plain to see who is a father here and who is not based on what they are posting. lol

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Laws or not, it’s just poor taste for an employer to publicaly comment on private lives. So they didn’t.
BTW, the privacy provisions of HIPAA only apply to health care professionals and insurance companies. Employers are not bound by it, legally speaking.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure there have been many Professionals in the history of life that have both missed and been there for the birth of a child. All depends on circumstances, so I would hate to say that there is any clear cut formula for this. The Packers circumstances, open roster position, allowed them to look like the caring organization. For all we know, Scott said "use my pay and whatever else I need to kick in to cover my replacement." I am guessing most of his teammates supported the Packers putting Family over Football, which could go a long way for team unity and character building. Ultimately, Scott was provided with the decision to make, I doubt the Packers said "you are not playing, go be with your wife."

Side note, if I am an NFL player and planning a family, I'm only "practicing" when the timing of giving birth would be during the season. Take the helmet off and go for it when the birth would happen during the off season. :coffee:
Your last paragraph seems to be the obvious answer to me.

H

HardRightEdge

So nobody should take time from work when they're having a baby? Sure, whatever...
I never said that. I don't think anybody critical of this decision said that either. If he was winging his way last night, or if he does so today, Tues., Wed., Thurs. or Fri. and is back for this coming Sunday's game, I have no problem with that whatsoever. Punter game plans are rudimentary and they don't need much practice. A pre-game tune-up should be sufficient.

And I would have been indifferent to the matter if the Packers were eliminated from playoff contention.

The point is this:

No job demands critical and time sensitve work every day of the year. When the job demands it on that handful of days, that person should be on the job.

Last edited by a moderator:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never said that. I don't think anybody critical of this decision said that either. If he was winging his way last night, or if he does so today, Tues., Wed., Thurs. or Fri. and is back for this coming Sunday's game, I have no problem with that whatsoever. Punter game plans are rudimentary and they don't need much practice. A pre-game tune-up should be sufficient.

And I would have been indifferent to the matter if the Packers were eliminated from playoff contention.

The point is this:

No job demands critical and time sensitve work every day of the year. When the job demands it on that handful of days, that person should be on the job.

Frankly, this is JK Scott's business and if the Packers are fine with it (and apparently they rightfully were) then what business is it of yours or anyone else's? There is nothing critical about football. If you think there is, then you probably need to examine your priorities, friend. I suppose you also think a cashier at McDonald's should not be allowed to leave during the lunch rush to be there when his wife is giving birth too.

H

HardRightEdge

Frankly, this is JK Scott's business and if the Packers are fine with it (and apparently they rightfully were) then what business is it of yours or anyone else's?
By that logic, what business is anything the Packers do any or our business? Might as well shut down the internets.

"Rightfully" is merely your opinion. I have a different one. And the world keeps turning.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By that logic, what business is anything the Packers do any or our business?

Frankly, when it comes down to it, it's not our business. We are mere observers.

"Rightfully" is merely your opinion. I have a different one. And the world keeps turning.

Except in this instance opinion has nothing to do with it. Sometimes right and wrong is clear. This is one of those cases.

Tell me, name ONE thing that is more critical about a football game than your wife in the hospital about to give birth. You do realize that even today, on rare occasion, women and babies still die from complications, right?

If a football game is the most critical thing in your mind, you much have a very sad existence.

So I guess in your mind the McDonald's cashier shouldn't be excused from work either.

H

HardRightEdge

[QUOTE="MrUdonta, post: 798353, member: 12225"So I guess in your mind the McDonald's cashier shouldn't be excused from work either.[/QUOTE]
SI had a little report saying the delivery is going to be induced this week. I guess the next football game is pretty important.

As for the McDonalds cashier, you clearly did not read what I said, multiple times, about the difference. I conclude you did not grasp the argument.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

“Think of only three things: your God, your family and the Green Bay Packers-in that order.” - Vince Lombardi... FTW.

Vince would have told JK to be with his family, no question about it. But I suppose you'd argue with him too.

Status
Not open for further replies.