Packers sign P Drew Kaser

Status
Not open for further replies.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't find a peep on what is going on with JK Scott.

D

Deleted member 6794

WTF??? In my opinion it's unheard of having two punters on an NFL roster during the season :mad:

I'm optimistic he's not a locker room distraction though.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WTF??? In my opinion it's unheard of having two punters on an NFL roster during the season :mad:

I'm optimistic he's not a locker room distraction though.

Scott has to be getting cut or headed to the IR. He has to be.

D

Deleted member 6794

Scott has to be getting cut or headed to the IR. He has to be.

Scott wasn't listed on the injury report this week so I highly doubt he's headed to IR. There's a possibility, albeit a small one, they cut him but if that's the case why not announce it when signing Kaser???

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Silverstein: JK Scott is the #Packers long-term punter, but he might not be the punter Sunday. That’s all I was able to find out. The club had the 53rd spot open and maybe there’s something he does well that they need for this matchup. Whatever, it’s a certainty only one will be active.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Scott is most likely going to be with his wife who is due to pop. He has been really good this year aside from last week. They had the roster flexibility and are taking precautions in case he has to leave to see the birth of his first child.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s a one game deal only.

Someone on reddit who Kaser is apparently a family friend of, broke this news a day before it happened. The text he got said it’s only for one game.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s a one game deal only.

Someone on reddit who Kaser is apparently a family friend of, broke this news a day before it happened. The text he got said it’s only for one game.

There were articles out there that Scott's wife was due in November. Technically, the Packers couldn't say it is because Scott's wife is expecting or due or whatever given health care laws. You'd think one of the Packers writers (or any writer) would try to figure it out on their own since it is odd there would be 2 punters on a team.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were articles out there that Scott's wife was due in November. Technically, the Packers couldn't say it is because Scott's wife is expecting or due or whatever given health care laws.

They could with her permission.

H

HardRightEdge

Kaser was the Chargers regular punter in 2016 and 2017 averaging 46.3 and 48.1 during those seasons.

He was cut by Chargers after week 4 while averaging 48.4. His career net is 42.1. The net dropped to 35.4 this season but that was skewed by a 91 yard return. Touchbacks and inside 20's look good this year on the small 4 game sample. The numbers say he's a good punter.

A couple of articles indicate Kaser was cut because of issues with his holds after Sturgis missed 2 FGs of 48 and 54 and 3 extra points. With his new holder, Sturgis missed a FG and an EP in the next game, then missed 2 games with a quad injury. So, maybe holds were an issue or maybe the Chargers erred.

We'll see if he holds tomorrow or the Packers use their backup, whoever that is. Boyle?

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

$37,000 for a couple days work assuming he's getting the 3rd year minimum. I'm sure Kaser is not happy about not having a full time job, but that's not bad for getting picked up at the corner for some day labor.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He probably wont even be active but they had the open spot and are just being safe. When you have healthy inactives you don't need to add players so they probably would have rolled with 52 if this didn't come up.

H

HardRightEdge

They probably thought it was in poor taste to even ask her.
Who knows. There's no compeitive advantage in making a thing out of it. Maybe an announcement will be made before kickoff. Maybe the Scotts have a reason not to call attention to it beyond the inevitable "personal absensce" or the like indication on the inactive list.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Scott is most likely going to be with his wife who is due to pop. He has been really good this year aside from last week. They had the roster flexibility and are taking precautions in case he has to leave to see the birth of his first child.

Wife? Child? I thought this dude was like 15??

H

HardRightEdge

He probably wont even be active but they had the open spot and are just being safe. When you have healthy inactives you don't need to add players so they probably would have rolled with 52 if this didn't come up.
There is a penalty if you roll with 52. If a team carries less than 53 for any week in a season they would lose the right to sign a player to a third PS season. I'm unsure when that penalty sunsets. It's not a huge deal but it is a factor in why you rarely see teams carry less than 53.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

You know what else is funny? A "kaser" (with an umlaut over the "a") is a cheesemaker in German.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wow, that's a nice gesture from the front office and coaching staff. Could we get back to being a professional football team at some point though???

I wonder what Lombardi would have done with a punter who just shanked a kick significantly contributing to the team losing asking the team to sign a second player at his position so he can be woth his wife giving birth.

Well, let's hope Danica isn't due to give birth in January or February within the next few years.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having been at both births for my kids, I'd never deny the opportunity to someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.